Pandora Car Alarm System
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

11-20-2019, 12:14 PM   #23
MyFragileHalogen
Captain
Rep
Drives: '16 M4 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by evanescent03 View Post
I will counsel her and give her some pointers to avoid money shifting ... and if she money shifts it then I'll just LS swap the car lol... and then get something with PDK or DCT so it doesn't happen again
It's dumb but I've done it in my Miata! So I fear that it can happen anytime if not being extra careful.
Car has no bucket seat and while exiting a right turn with center of mass at rear left, my brain tricked me into the 3rd to 2nd money shift. But at least that car has a stupid overbuilt engine- all was that it farted out a big black smoke, probably burnt and emptied coolant reservoir and got me a meat ball flag lol. I learned a lesson to not rush shifts and take time, but it's still a scary thing when I drive the M4.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2019, 01:07 PM   #24
evanescent03
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '24 M3 CS; '22 GT4

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyFragileHalogen View Post
It's dumb but I've done it in my Miata! So I fear that it can happen anytime if not being extra careful.
Car has no bucket seat and while exiting a right turn with center of mass at rear left, my brain tricked me into the 3rd to 2nd money shift. But at least that car has a stupid overbuilt engine- all was that it farted out a big black smoke, probably burnt and emptied coolant reservoir and got me a meat ball flag lol. I learned a lesson to not rush shifts and take time, but it's still a scary thing when I drive the M4.
certainly makes a case for an automatic/dual/multiclutch on the track... only one time is all it takes and i've known a few friends who have blown motors in e36 track cars. i was going through a turn exactly as you said but went from 2nd to 1st ... last time i shifted down into 2nd for that turn haha. not sure how it didn't blow something but i did catch it really quickly and still not sure how my brain/arm let me do that.

until i have a 5-car collection, i still like having the manual transmission for daily driving and weekend drives for the entertainment of it. on track i'm okay with PDK/DCT/Auto because they're just so good out there and prevents the ol' $$$ shift! i'd love to have a GT3 pdk for the track and the same car in 6MT for weekend drives

Appreciate 0
      11-20-2019, 02:43 PM   #25
MyFragileHalogen
Captain
Rep
Drives: '16 M4 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by evanescent03 View Post
certainly makes a case for an automatic/dual/multiclutch on the track... only one time is all it takes and i've known a few friends who have blown motors in e36 track cars. i was going through a turn exactly as you said but went from 2nd to 1st ... last time i shifted down into 2nd for that turn haha. not sure how it didn't blow something but i did catch it really quickly and still not sure how my brain/arm let me do that.

until i have a 5-car collection, i still like having the manual transmission for daily driving and weekend drives for the entertainment of it. on track i'm okay with PDK/DCT/Auto because they're just so good out there and prevents the ol' $$$ shift! i'd love to have a GT3 pdk for the track and the same car in 6MT for weekend drives
Agreed! There are so many benefits of DCT/PDK while a manual is stressful to own, but somewhat it's still hard to convince myself to ditch it. At least it makes me a bit more conscious and take it easy as well as a good excuse to not let anyone drive it! lol
Appreciate 1
      11-21-2019, 11:00 AM   #26
Gomeler
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '16 M235iR, '16 M4 GTS

I've lapped friend's cars with DCTs, but I've never truly put a beating on a car with a DCT until just recently lapping my F82. I'm never going back to a manual for a car that will see track duty with a DCT is an option. Being able to two-foot drive and never mess up shifts was incredible. Going from 5th to 3rd at the end of a straight while under threshold braking was stellar. Popping into 4th to keep accelerating into the start of the braking zone where I normally would hold red-line will remove a little bit of time.
Appreciate 1
      12-13-2019, 07:06 AM   #27
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep
Drives: E90M/E92M/M4GTS/M4GT4/X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gomeler View Post
I've lapped friend's cars with DCTs, but I've never truly put a beating on a car with a DCT until just recently lapping my F82. I'm never going back to a manual for a car that will see track duty with a DCT is an option. Being able to two-foot drive and never mess up shifts was incredible. Going from 5th to 3rd at the end of a straight while under threshold braking was stellar. Popping into 4th to keep accelerating into the start of the braking zone where I normally would hold red-line will remove a little bit of time.
It is quite wonderful. Don't forget shifts in the middle of turns while the car is loaded up and the tranny shifts perfectly anyway
Appreciate 0