BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

01-15-2020, 02:57 AM   #23
Bee Pee
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AW M2 DCT

OP,

Try the cheap stuff 1st - get yr car 4 wheel aligned and ask then to reduce rear camber down to -1.5deg both sides.

Its a revelation as far as traction w/o sacrificing grip in the bends...

BP

Current '22 X3M LCI..
Appreciate 1
      01-15-2020, 03:37 PM   #24
M 4 FUN
Captain
Rep
Drives: 320 Si, M4 comp. M3 E46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee Pee View Post
OP,

Try the cheap stuff 1st - get yr car 4 wheel aligned and ask then to reduce rear camber down to -1.5deg both sides.

BP
I run only 1,2 degrees rear camber.
Appreciate 1
Bee Pee1760.50
      01-17-2020, 06:01 PM   #25
Taco_Bueno
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM BMW M4 F82

Have you tried a trunk lip spoiler? :
Appreciate 1
      01-18-2020, 02:14 PM   #26
Luckylou22123
Rep
Drives: 2014 Porsche 991

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee Pee View Post
OP,

BP
That was the first thing I did and it does work, but there is still a lot of room for improvement!
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2020, 02:23 PM   #27
Luckylou22123
Rep

Just an update for you guys! Thank you so much for all the input. I have since done a ton of research and found some interesting stuff regarding my problem.

First of all, I’m running the BM3 CS+ map because I want to utilize the flat torque curve it offers. After digging around I found that the map has an issue that multiple people are reporting where you get a throttle spike for a split second. This is what caused me to look into improving my rear traction, because that rear spike broke my traction mid corner and caused me to spin out. Anyway now that I know that is the cause I have reverted to a different map and it has gone away.

Secondly, I’m still new to the car and learn new things the more I drive it. I figured out that the stock passive suspension I have is not tuned correctly, because the car bounces and shifts on the road due to how the rebound and dampening is set up. I will be upgrading the suspension to Ohlin R&T going forward. That should be a good step in the direction I’m looking at to gain the confidence I’m looking for.

Lastly, I will upgrade the differential bushing to a powerflex version and also change the tire width on the rear. Most likely I will get a better wheel set up for track purposes.

Thanks a ton guys!!!
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2020, 03:17 AM   #28
M 4 FUN
Captain
Rep
Drives: 320 Si, M4 comp. M3 E46

I have just installed the Öhlins road&track kit. I am not satisfyed. it's way too stiff. The springrates are way too high for me and Comfort is really bad when the suspension compresses over anything than small imperfections. i have a discussion about this with öhlins now so we will see what happens. I gave them a lot of "inputs" about this kit that were not good with the instructions in the manual too.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2020, 08:35 PM   #29
Luckylou22123
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M 4 FUN View Post
I have just installed the Öhlins road&track kit. I am not satisfyed. it's way too stiff. The springrates are way too high for me and Comfort is really bad when the suspension compresses over anything than small imperfections. i have a discussion about this with öhlins now so we will see what happens. I gave them a lot of "inputs" about this kit that were not good with the instructions in the manual too.
I have heard about their stiffness before. I’m actually looking into the Ohlin’s sold by 3DM which is tuned more for street instead of track
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2020, 03:41 AM   #30
tomlong
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 Sedan

OP - This might sound silly ... but I just put ~50lbs worth of gear in my trunk, all fastened down by velcro trunk cargo holders so doesn't move under high load, and also made sure that the heaviest items (e.g. gallon BMW coolant) were placed as directly above where my rear differential unit sits, as possible. Homemade fix if you will.

For me, the car seems to have better weight distribution and less spin, and increased sense of control, especially when heading into a fast corner.

Added bonus: also removes that slight "rake" in the stance, for aesthetic purposes.

I don't mind the extra 50lbs when I'm blowing by Mopars weighing 4500lbs
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2020, 09:53 AM   #31
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomlong View Post
OP - This might sound silly ... but I just put ~50lbs worth of gear in my trunk, all fastened down by velcro trunk cargo holders so doesn't move under high load, and also made sure that the heaviest items (e.g. gallon BMW coolant) were placed as directly above where my rear differential unit sits, as possible. Homemade fix if you will.

For me, the car seems to have better weight distribution and less spin, and increased sense of control, especially when heading into a fast corner.

Added bonus: also removes that slight "rake" in the stance, for aesthetic purposes.

I don't mind the extra 50lbs when I'm blowing by Mopars weighing 4500lbs
If you want to increase rear weight bias, there is no reason to put the weight "directly above the differential". You want to put the weight as far back as possible.

That being said, from a performance standpoint, it is always detrimental to add weight, so your solution is actually making your car perform worse .

Previous cars: M4cs 2019 F82 Limerock Grey / M4 2015 F82 Silverstone / M3 2008 E92 Silverstone / M3 2002 E46 Carbon Black
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2020, 02:00 PM   #32
gatorfast
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 718 Cayman

Maybe a rear engine conversion is in order?
Appreciate 0