Coby Wheel
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB | Recalls

01-24-2020, 10:31 AM   #1
G35POPPEDMYCHERRY
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80

car leaking coolant pressure tested twice okay. now pool of coolant underneath car

sorry guys i know wrong forum but this is my home

this car is the biggest piece of shit ever to grace my family. my e90 runs strong albeit leaking gaskets. my f80 runs as well as a civic. this 2014 428xi is the biggest shitbox.

backstory;
radiator damaged from debris--> replaced by BMW like 3 years ago
EDIT CAR RUNS out of gas; WTF dealer replaces fuel tank; and i assume sensor...good willed past warranty STRANGE (sometime in between the radiator and piston below)
like 11 months ago car loses compression in 1st.
mechanic tears down engine to find cracked piston--> wtf car barely sees anything past 4k. anyways rebuild engine. replaces piston 1 and 2; head gasket. 5k repair job

car begins leaking coolant about 3 months ago; top off every 1-2 weeks.

take car in first time to same indy--> gives back pressure test okay

leaks again with intermittent top offs---> back to indy, keeps car for three weeks--> pressure tested overnight and for 2 days. okay. gives car back.

Now im pissed off since we are nearing the 1 year mark where he would need to warranty any repairs. Replacing a piston/headgasket means you took everything out; and might of fucked something up. and although has been trustworthy in the past; seems very fishy that he is trying to buy time until 1 year past. he obvs hates the car; because this isn't his cash cow of robbing people for brakes and oil changes. but the game is the game.

I read online that it may be the cap; so when I go pick it up I replace with updated part number cap. Tank is clearly overfilled(even more suspicious he is trying to buy time) and coolant has been slowly decreasing. found huge puddle of coolant underneath car today in garage; but honestly don't check everyday. WTF.

mechanic keeps saying pressure test is okay; i know hes a better mechanic than that. so i believe i am warranted in being suspicious. it almost seems like he'll blame the cap this time even thought its OEM updated BMW cap; since he doesn't want to do the work.

Last edited by G35POPPEDMYCHERRY; 01-24-2020 at 10:41 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2020, 10:34 AM   #2
G35POPPEDMYCHERRY
Banned
No_Country
Rep

oil from another car
Last pic coolant when picked up. Second to last coolant currently...less than two weeks
Attached Images

Last edited by G35POPPEDMYCHERRY; 01-24-2020 at 10:42 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2020, 06:32 PM   #3
sna66
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F83

Wtf is a 428xi? J/K I had 2 328i's in the past with zero issues( in-line 6 tho), the wife has an x4 28i and zero issues except a leaking windshield washer reservoir, I think it's the same engine as the 428i... are there any reliability complaints on the f30 forum? Was the car well maintained?
Appreciate 1
F80 Ev18.00
      01-24-2020, 08:57 PM   #4
G35POPPEDMYCHERRY
Banned
No_Country
Rep

yeah normal maintenance was followed. my guess what lead to the piston damage was the two situations radiator it probably got hot; and then literally ran dry.

anways any insight anyone?
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2020, 12:35 PM   #5
JamesGames
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E60 550i|F82 M4|F48 X1|VA STi

Quote:
Originally Posted by G35POPPEDMYCHERRY View Post
yeah normal maintenance was followed. my guess what lead to the piston damage was the two situations radiator it probably got hot; and then literally ran dry.

anways any insight anyone?
First time I actually read about 28i engine piston damage - and I'd probably guess due to overheating from your radiator leak or the subsequent leaking that allowed an overheat to occur and warping of the piston and/or cylinder walls. Hard to say... just guessing here. Did you ever drive the car while the car overheated?
Appreciate 0