Coby Wheel
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash/Wax/Detailing/Exterior Restoration & Repairs)

07-12-2020, 11:18 AM   #1
rev29k
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 Silverstone over Black

Definitive answer on Merino: Coated or not Coated?

So does anyone have any information to help with a definitive answer regarding this? I’ve seen countless discussions on the topic and various results using various products, but I still find it difficult to make a determination. I’ve even tried asking the parts dept. at my dealer, my salesman (still no reply &#128527, and I even tried the BMW Genius line. No one who works for BMW can answer it.

Has anyone else had better luck arriving at a reasonable conclusion on this?

TIA!
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2020, 11:23 AM   #2
G35POPPEDMYCHERRY
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80

i would assume every leather is coated or it would fall apart very shortly. this has been debated heavily tho on this fourm
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2020, 02:39 PM   #3
rev29k
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 Silverstone over Black

Not necessarily. There are plenty of full aniline leathers that last as long as you take care of them.

Over on the F10 boards they are of the opinion that Merino is uncoated aniline, with Napa being the one that is semi-aniline.

And one thing that still confuses me is that given all of the discussion that it’s pointless to try and hydrate leather that is coated because the conditioner won’t penetrate the coating, then the reverse should hold as well. ie. How does leather “dry out” and turn hard if the moisture can’t escape because of the coating? It stands to reason it would work both ways. If you can’t ADD moisture to it because of the coating, then it shouldn’t be able to ESCAPE because of the coating either.

I’m curious what everyone’s thought or logic is on this point. (Not to distract from the original subject of what Merino Leather really is).
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2020, 10:19 PM   #4
BlitzerRadic
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Merino leather is coated. If you drop water on it, it will bead off. Aniline leather is unfinished and dyed. If you drop any liquid on it, it will be absorbed.

IMO, merino leather is at best full grain leather.
Appreciate 1
      11-14-2022, 07:12 AM   #5
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlitzerRadic View Post
Merino leather is coated. If you drop water on it, it will bead off. Aniline leather is unfinished and dyed. If you drop any liquid on it, it will be absorbed.

IMO, merino leather is at best full grain leather.
This info below may help.

Vernasca leather falls in the same category as Nevada & Dakota.

Merino has no “artificial” coating (does that mean it may have some type of light “natural” coating?

Merino & Nappa may have some type of light coating that can be abraded by dust/dirt/grime if not wiped down on a regular bases with a damp cloth or light cleaning agent. If the coating is worn off…then the leather can “dry out” and deteriorate…thus regular care to remove dust/dirt/grime with a damp cloth can keep it in good condition…with perhaps an annual or semi annual cleaning with a good leather product that may have UV protection.

The Dakota/Nevada/Vernasca leathers have a synthetic polymer paint coating that makes them durable…but expensive leather cleaning products designed to “soak” into the leather is probably a waste due to the synthetic polymer coating.
Attached Images

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.
Appreciate 1
GrussGott18179.00