R44 Performance
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

11-22-2021, 07:53 PM   #1
buh_buh
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z3M Coupe, Golf R

EDC settings make no difference

I've owned my '15 Civic for a couple months now, and the ride been very harsh since I've owned it. I had it chalked up to the extremely poor Houston roads, but was skeptical the ride could be this harsh based on everything I've read on forums. The car has EDC and I drive 100% of the time on comfort mode and the ride is jarring to say the least, especially at slower speeds across the smallest of bumps or cracks in the road.

I'm no stranger to lowered cars, have had a couple different lowered car in my fleet for the last 15 years and just don't understand why this M3 with stock suspension and ride height can be this harsh.

Today on my commute to work I thought I'd drive my regular route in sport+ just to see how much harsher it would be and to my surprise it made no difference at all which makes me question whether there's something wrong with my EDC. There are no malfunction codes and no indication from the car at all anything is wrong.

I checked the wires going to the battery and shocks this past weekend and everything looked to be connected in the right places.

Anyone have any idea what this could be before I drop it off at the dealer and ask them to look at everything related to the suspension?
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2021, 08:01 PM   #2
D_SheerDrivingPleasure
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80

Something is wrong. Comfort setting makes NYC streets tolerable. Sport+ will loosen teeth fillings. Even my non car obsessed passengers perceive a difference.
Appreciate 1
      11-22-2021, 09:17 PM   #3
RugbyBro
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

If your dampers aren’t functioning properly they resort to a passive state that is even stiffer than sport plus, however, you’ll usually get a chassis malfunction warning whenever you drive the car. The other possibility is your shocks might be blown - I don’t know that you’d necessarily get an error code when this happens, so you’d have to physically inspect them
BGxNYC53.00
      11-23-2021, 10:04 PM   #4
uncle ben
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 06 330i

My 2017 seems to have the same problem. Only about 13,000 miles on stock car. EDC setting seem to do nothing.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2021, 08:52 AM   #5
spidy512
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 f80 M3

Garage List
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
Yo!

Def something wrong. My car feels like a an old caddy on comfort. I drive in sport or sport+ everywhere I go on carppy Cali roads. And I can for sure tell the difference. It is very distinct.

Are you able to pull any codes (regardless if these is a chassis malfunction)?

Did you actually unplug and plug back in the EDC wires at the shock?

That is all I can think of before you head to the shop. Good luck!

josh
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2021, 06:48 PM   #6
buh_buh
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by spidy512 View Post
Yo!

Def something wrong. My car feels like a an old caddy on comfort. I drive in sport or sport+ everywhere I go on carppy Cali roads. And I can for sure tell the difference. It is very distinct.

Are you able to pull any codes (regardless if these is a chassis malfunction)?

Did you actually unplug and plug back in the EDC wires at the shock?

That is all I can think of before you head to the shop. Good luck!

josh
Thanks all. I don't see any malfunction codes at all when I check. Although I had a blind spot detection error on my way to work today, but couldn't find it anywhere when I tried looking for it again. Anyone know where to look for error codes other than under Check Control menu?

I did try disconnecting the wire from both shocks and plugged them back in, but to no avail.

I did book into a local Indy shop for next week, so if I can't get it to reset before then I'll just let them figure it out.

Any ideas in the meantime are welcome!
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2021, 07:47 PM   #7
TopJimmy
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 Comp xDrive

Ask kubax86 to take a look at your coding, all can be done remotely. If you have Base EDC (not ZCP or CS) and a previous owner coded for ZCP/CS then these dampers go full hard (or mine did).

Also, maybe someone left the shipping stops in there? That's easy to check, just slide up your damper dust boots.
      11-26-2021, 03:23 PM   #8
buh_buh
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopJimmy View Post
Ask kubax86 to take a look at your coding, all can be done remotely. If you have Base EDC (not ZCP or CS) and a previous owner coded for ZCP/CS then these dampers go full hard (or mine did).

Also, maybe someone left the shipping stops in there? That's easy to check, just slide up your damper dust boots.
Just checked the shipping stops and they are not there, so one more thing I could check off the list. I'll check in with kubax86 and see if there's anything he can help out with from a coding perspective.
Appreciate 1
TopJimmy5449.50
      11-27-2021, 07:53 AM   #9
silverbackf8x
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: SSII F80 & F82

To confirm, was this or is this car lowered
Appreciate 1
spidy512491.50
      11-27-2021, 07:06 PM   #10
buh_buh
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbackf8x View Post
To confirm, was this or is this car lowered
Was not and is not
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2021, 03:25 PM   #11
agustincuenca
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 335i; 2016 F80 M3

Garage List
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
2008 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by buh_buh View Post
Was not and is not
any news on this? I have also a 2016 with EDC, non-ZCP and the only difference I feel is in rebound, dampening is like there is no difference in modes. Thanks!

small edit: stock, 35k miles, 98% sure it was not lowered by previous owner

Last edited by agustincuenca; 12-28-2021 at 07:40 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2021, 05:36 PM   #12
RSXDC5
Captain
Rep

Quote:
I've owned my '15 Civic for a couple months now, and the ride been very harsh since I've owned it. I had it chalked up to the extremely poor Houston roads, but was skeptical the ride could be this harsh based on everything I've read on forums. The car has EDC and I drive 100% of the time on comfort mode and the ride is jarring to say the least, especially at slower speeds across the smallest of bumps or cracks in the road.

I'm no stranger to lowered cars, have had a couple different lowered car in my fleet for the last 15 years and just don't understand why this M3 with stock suspension and ride height can be this harsh.

Today on my commute to work I thought I'd drive my regular route in sport+ just to see how much harsher it would be and to my surprise it made no difference at all which makes me question whether there's something wrong with my EDC. There are no malfunction codes and no indication from the car at all anything is wrong.

I checked the wires going to the battery and shocks this past weekend and everything looked to be connected in the right places.

Anyone have any idea what this could be before I drop it off at the dealer and ask them to look at everything related to the suspension?
I had everything you are describing, but my car was lowered on swift springs for a few years. If your car was lowered, it's very possible the previous owner just popped on the oem springs again before selling…or alternatively, your oem dampers are just at their end of life.

I think bilstein makes a b6 edc damper you can swap in. It should be a better damper than oem.

Do the CS edc coding if possible.

I personally opted for a coilover upgrade (went with MCS) and it cut down nvh by a HUGE amount compared to my dead oem dampers which had become loud (nvh) over time
      01-06-2022, 05:37 PM   #13
buh_buh
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by agustincuenca View Post
Quote:
Was not and is not
any news on this? I have also a 2016 with EDC, non-ZCP and the only difference I feel is in rebound, dampening is like there is no difference in modes. Thanks!

Dropped car off at the shop last night, and to my surprise they are saying there's nothing wrong with the EDC, which is completely shocking (ha). The tech said it goes through the comfort/sport/sport plus modes properly, which I completely disagree with. I drive the same crappy road to work everyday and have done it in all 3 modes without noticing a difference in comfort. I have an M Coupe on TC Kline coilovers that rides better than my M3 on stock suspension - makes no sense and is extremely frustrating.

They did find the EDC software was from 2014, so I may go to the dealer and ask for an update or go with the CS flash.

I'm pretty sure the car wasn't lowered in the past, but I have no way of really verifying so it's just speculation on my part. If it was lowered and not coded, is it possible the EDC could be "stuck" in one of the modes or malfunctioning?

I do have wider tires on the car (265 on front/295 on rear) on stock 437. Shop suggested I go back to stock sizing before further diagnosing as they think that could be a contributor. I denied as I didn't think it would be.

Any other thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2022, 10:18 AM   #14
RSXDC5
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by agustincuenca View Post
Quote:
Was not and is not

Dropped car off at the shop last night, and to my surprise they are saying there's nothing wrong with the EDC, which is completely shocking (ha). The tech said it goes through the comfort/sport/sport plus modes properly, which I completely disagree with. I drive the same crappy road to work everyday and have done it in all 3 modes without noticing a difference in comfort. I have an M Coupe on TC Kline coilovers that rides better than my M3 on stock suspension - makes no sense and is extremely frustrating.

They did find the EDC software was from 2014, so I may go to the dealer and ask for an update or go with the CS flash.

I'm pretty sure the car wasn't lowered in the past, but I have no way of really verifying so it's just speculation on my part. If it was lowered and not coded, is it possible the EDC could be "stuck" in one of the modes or malfunctioning?

I do have wider tires on the car (265 on front/295 on rear) on stock 437. Shop suggested I go back to stock sizing before further diagnosing as they think that could be a contributor. I denied as I didn't think it would be.

Any other thoughts?
Your stuck struts are worn out. Bilstein b6 edc is a direct replacement
      01-07-2022, 10:52 AM   #15
MINERALGREY_F80M3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 - F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSXDC5 View Post
Thanks for this reference! Im on the fence regarding putting new struts in as I feel the car is bottoming out on heavy bumps at high speed.

This is a bolt on solution and can be purchased individually I see, may order the two fronts to start, thanks!
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2022, 10:54 AM   #16
RSXDC5
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MINERALWHITE_F80M3 View Post
Quote:
Thanks for this reference! Im on the fence regarding putting new struts in as I feel the car is bottoming out on heavy bumps at high speed.

This is a bolt on solution and can be purchased individually I see, may order the two fronts to start, thanks!
No problem man! Combine the b6 with the CS edc coding and you should be much happier.
      01-09-2022, 11:02 PM   #17
buh_buh
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

No problem man! Combine the b6 with the CS edc coding and you should be much happier.
Would doing the CS coding replace getting the EDC updated to the most recent software from BMW?
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2022, 09:19 AM   #18
hellokitty
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M3 ZCP DCT

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Would doing the CS coding replace getting the EDC updated to the most recent software from BMW?
Nope. CS EDC is embedded in the latest software (istep). You just switch from one to the other in coding.

kubax86 can help you with coding it in.
2017 F80 M3 ZCP / AA GESI DPs / Akrapovic Evo / BBS FI-R 19" / Bend Calibration ECUTEK Flex Fuel | Bilstein B16 DDC + CS EDC / BMC Filters / BMS OCC / CSF HE / ESS CP / Nitto NT555R2 / PD Crank Hub / SPL Suspension / Uniden R7 / Wagner Top Mount IC

2021 Mini GP3 / BMC Filters / BM3 / Cary Jordan E30 / Wagner IC / Remus Race
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2022, 01:30 PM   #19
buh_buh
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellokitty View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Nope. CS EDC is embedded in the latest software (istep). You just switch from one to the other in coding.

kubax86 can help you with coding it in.
Great thanks. So sounds like I can skip the update altogether if I just go with the CS coding. Thanks! Will try that next.
Appreciate 0