GetBMWParts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

01-15-2022, 04:02 PM   #1
Gbcarmona
Private
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 Competition

Opinion on this issue and advice on how to proceed please

Will try and explain this as short as possible.
A few weeks ago, decided to sell my trusty (and amazing) F21 M135i and get the M3Comp. After searching a lot, found this one in Scotland BMW dealership (320 miles away from where I live or 6h train journey)…it’s 18 plate, 30k miles, had all the must-haves extras I wanted and in the stunning Tanzanite Blue… So made some enquiries, they sent me a personal video…”yeah, looks great I thought”…I send emails asking the state of brakes, tyres, seats bolsters and also paintwork…as I said to them, it’s a long way for me to go so I need to understand that everything will be ok…they responded that the bodywork is good besides a few stone chips (to be expected of course)…so I pay for the car and take the 6h train journey up. As soon as I see the car, I notice loads of tiny stone chips on the rear arches (to the front of the arches)…to which I complained and the representative told me to go and get a quote locally…I went and got an independent (£666) and from BMW (£1620)…now the issue is that today as I’m washing the car properly, I noticed that the problem is far greater and in fact the front wheel arches (to the rear), half of the floor cills and front doors are also full of tiny stone chips…it’s like the car went through grit salt at full speed for a long distance…or as been sand blasted…it’s quite upsetting, and I’m worried what their response will be since I recon it will cost 3k at least to get it sorted at BMW in Sheffield…the guy in BMW Sheffield told me they shouldn’t have sold it like that (and he only saw the rear arches, not the full thing). Of course because the dealership is so far away, makes everything awkward!?

They said Monday they will speak to the manager, so I will have to wait.
Anyone had a similar problem? If they dispute, I’m guessing my only other option is to go to BMW U.K.?

Last edited by Gbcarmona; 01-16-2022 at 02:21 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2022, 05:03 PM   #2
FJ_OPA80
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F80 ZCP

Ok so under consumer law you have, assuming you set foot in the dealership, 30 days to reject the car if it is faulty. Not sure where the definition is here of paint being a fault or not, though.

Did you buy from AUC? So far as I know AUC offers 30 day/1k mile returns.

The dealer will allow a direct refund, I expect, within 14 days.

Photos definitely make sense as don't know where exactly you mean, the front of the rear arches should already have PPF type film on to protect from stone chips.

A call to bmw UK is simple enough and a good option. They won't advise you on your rights but can help push the dealer into the right decision.

I know its not a good decision but if rejecting it is going to save you £3k (get a confirmed cost asap) then do it.

It is possible if you get a quote that the original dealer will cover it but as it's a cosmetic thing, I doubt that very much
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2022, 05:22 PM   #3
swagon
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80 6MT

Rear arches and side skirts get blasted in debris. The original PPF on the rear arches is too small. I wanna see some photos of the doors; I can't imagine the front doors would have stone chips.

Should've asked for photos or videos beforehand instead of just asking them. They often omit stuff, as per... My selling dealer didn't disclose a dent on the rear arch - I'd spent 9 hours driving to collect the car the whole night so that was not a nice surprise to come to.

Good luck.
      01-15-2022, 05:25 PM   #4
Gbcarmona
Private
Rep

Yeah I bought it from BMW…issue is that obviously this has already cost me money and would cost me even more to return it, etc.
And I love the car, it’s the colour and spec I wanted etc.
I honestly don’t understand (and neither did the local BMW) how would they sell the car like that! If I find out how to post pics, I will and you will see how bad it is. Yes, the protection film are still there but goes beyond them…
Might give a call to BMW At some point. Still have faith that a BMW dealership will want to sort it for the reputation…I would have to not only get my money back but compensation I guess…not that I want to because I ultimately want the car! The car for them would lose worth straight away having another owner now as well! I’m still hopeful!
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2022, 12:05 AM   #5
G-Ram
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: '15 M4

I had this exact issue with an AMG I was looking at 2 years ago.
AMG dealer was 800 km (500 mi) away. Did the financing, had the sattelitie radio paid for etc, booked a plane ticket and went to get my "new" car.
Like OP, I had all the same concerns. What is paint condition, was VERY explicit in that I wanted to see the "warts" and NOT the shiny bits. Show me a couple pics of the stone chips in windshield etc, and otherwise represented the car as "perfect"

Get to the dealership, salesman greets me and wants me to sign paperwork first thing. I'm like easy big rig, lets go lay some eyes on this first.

Get within 40' and can see issues ALL over the car. Each wheel had curb rash, there were door dings, hood chips, but the most egregious was a spot about 18" round on the back 1/4 panel, all the clear coat was missing, and there were other patches on the car as well...

I was almost too shocked to speak.. How was an AMG dealer able to rep this car as "perfect" was beyond me, I wanted to fist fight someone. Last minute flight was over $800 to get home, ended up costing me $1500 to waste a day to go see that POS, between flights, insurance permits, cancelled radio subscriptions etc..
Appreciate 2
      01-16-2022, 01:53 AM   #6
Gbcarmona
Private
Rep

Yes, it worries me a bit…Monday I’ll get a full report from local BMW and then call the manager…and depending what they say, BMW U.K.
Let’s also not forget besides the email communications where I ask these things and I’m told all is good, they also gave me the checklist all ticked off and one of the items is bodywork, paintwork I think…which shows it’s actually bollocks and no one really checks properly…they just assume all is good! Annoying is that I really love the car, love the colour combo and have already spent well over 1k if not 2, with tax, insurance, travel, products for that specific car, dash camera…I love the car…this just has to be sorted! ����
You can notice on the doors where the plane of the doors and cills folds down, its all peppered...but when you stand up near the car and look you can't even see it because of the way the pane folds...if you know what I mean!?
I can only assume he drove through a freshly grit salt road and 100mph for a long time...these are not usual stone chips...maybe a track day that went wrong into the gravel pits? Although its very balanced on both sides so it was done on a straight line and it looks like it was made by sand rather than gravel.

Last edited by Gbcarmona; 01-16-2022 at 02:23 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2022, 05:16 AM   #7
FJ_OPA80
Enlisted Member
Rep

So all those marks are chips in the paint and not dirt? Looks mental. Looking on mobile so not certain if I'm looking at it right
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2022, 05:51 AM   #8
D_SheerDrivingPleasure
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80

Principal aside, that condition wouldn't bother me. Then again when I first got my car I was anal and diligent about keeping it flawless.

Then I took my car to the track and gave up. Now I'm more relaxed about things.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2022, 05:55 AM   #9
D_SheerDrivingPleasure
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80

The Tommy L Garage mud flaps should have been a BMW factory option.
Appreciate 1
RoundelM31824.00
      01-16-2022, 07:33 AM   #10
Gbcarmona
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FJ_OPA80 View Post
So all those marks are chips in the paint and not dirt? Looks mental. Looking on mobile so not certain if I'm looking at it right
Yes…they look like dirt marks but they are all tiny stone marks…millions of them!
I’ll talk to the manager tomorrow to see how they want me to proceed. I hope it doesn’t get to a stage where I have to get BMW U.K. customer service involved!
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2022, 07:52 AM   #11
RoundelM3
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 F80 M3, 22 G01 X3 30i

Garage List
2022 BMW X3  [9.83]
2015 BMW M3  [6.50]
Just curious - have you tried polishing out any of those areas? I also have Tanzanite on my '15 M3, and I did see some areas similar to yours, only not quite as much. I used an orbital and two different grades of polish/compound and was able to get quite a bit of it out. There were some areas that were deep enough to get into the actual color coat, but I used Dr. Colorchip (drcolorchip.com) to touch them up. Hope you're able to resolve it, as your car looks otherwise great.

2015 F80 ///M3 Sedan 7DCT Tanzanite, 2022 X3 sDrive30i 8AT Brooklyn Grey
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2022, 09:18 AM   #12
Gbcarmona
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundelM3 View Post
Just curious - have you tried polishing out any of those areas? I also have Tanzanite on my '15 M3, and I did see some areas similar to yours, only not quite as much. I used an orbital and two different grades of polish/compound and was able to get quite a bit of it out. There were some areas that were deep enough to get into the actual color coat, but I used Dr. Colorchip (drcolorchip.com) to touch them up. Hope you're able to resolve it, as your car looks otherwise great.
Yeah, I tried some T-cut, and polish after! Didn’t do anything. And honestly now I don’t want to do anything so they can see the full condition of the problem! Yes, I love the car, really do especially because of the colour combo so I would be gutted if sale falls through…I’m hoping BMW will sort it otherwise the car would straight away lose value with another owner, I’m guessing! Plus they will still need to sort it to sale after…unless they were just to put it on for auction which is unlikely on a car of this value! It’s just a pain the dealership is 300miles/6h away!
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2022, 12:05 PM   #13
RoundelM3
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW X3  [9.83]
2015 BMW M3  [6.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gbcarmona View Post
Yeah, I tried some T-cut, and polish after! Didn’t do anything. And honestly now I don’t want to do anything so they can see the full condition of the problem! Yes, I love the car, really do especially because of the colour combo so I would be gutted if sale falls through…I’m hoping BMW will sort it otherwise the car would straight away lose value with another owner, I’m guessing! Plus they will still need to sort it to sale after…unless they were just to put it on for auction which is unlikely on a car of this value! It’s just a pain the dealership is 300miles/6h away!
Makes you wonder exactly where this car was driven for it to have such paint damage. The poster that mentioned Tommy L Garage mud/stone guards was right on - I installed them on my car and they really do protect the rocker panels and areas behind the wheel arches.

Appreciate 0
      01-16-2022, 12:36 PM   #14
Gbcarmona
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundelM3 View Post
Makes you wonder exactly where this car was driven for it to have such paint damage. The poster that mentioned Tommy L Garage mud/stone guards was right on - I installed them on my car and they really do protect the rocker panels and areas behind the wheel arches.
I can only assume it was a road freshly gritted with salt for the ice and snow up in Scotland and they previous owner was really going for it!
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2022, 12:41 PM   #15
RoundelM3
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW X3  [9.83]
2015 BMW M3  [6.50]
Quote:
I can only assume it was a road freshly gritted with salt for the ice and snow up in Scotland and they previous owner was really going for it!
If they're using "rock salt", I'd say that's a good possibility, but it would appear that this wasn't done on just 1 or 2 drives. Could also be some sort of fine gravel - not really the sort of road you'd think someone would be driving on at normal speeds. I hope you can get it rectified.

Appreciate 0
      01-16-2022, 01:17 PM   #16
Kilabyte
I'm Batman!
Poland
Rep
Drives: Mineral White M3 6MT

I'm guessing that he ran some aggressive spacers. I don't know what the road conditions are in that area but that could add to the extra "sandblasting"

S55, 2JZ, M48.00
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2022, 01:45 PM   #17
TopJimmy
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 Comp xDrive

Take it back and return it. Be serious and prepared to walk away.

See what they say then about compensation.
      01-16-2022, 01:54 PM   #18
Gbcarmona
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopJimmy View Post
Take it back and return it. Be serious and prepared to walk away.

See what they say then about compensation.
Yes, that is what I am going to do tomorrow first thing. Unfortunately doing a quick Google search on the specific dealership, you get their Facebook page and it’s full of complaints and bad service…and worst of all it looks like the exact same thing happened to another customer in September (not the same car)…he had the same treatment as me…so I know what to expect going forward so with huge regret I am going to return the car unless by a miracle they do the correct thing.
I’m so upset, sad and disappointed…they lied to me and you would expect that a main dealership would not do this…my dream car is turning into a nightmare! Absolutely gutted! Love the car but can’t live with this situation.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2022, 03:42 PM   #19
FJ_OPA80
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Yes, that is what I am going to do tomorrow first thing. Unfortunately doing a quick Google search on the specific dealership, you get their Facebook page and it’s full of complaints and bad service…and worst of all it looks like the exact same thing happened to another customer in September (not the same car)…he had the same treatment as me…so I know what to expect going forward so with huge regret I am going to return the car unless by a miracle they do the correct thing.
I’m so upset, sad and disappointed…they lied to me and you would expect that a main dealership would not do this…my dream car is turning into a nightmare! Absolutely gutted! Love the car but can’t live with this situation.
I was in a similar boat past few weeks. Full thread on cutters. I pushed the 'ring BMW UK and threaten to give the car back for a full refund' button as soon as I heard I may be liable for costs to fix the issues I had.

It sucks but you do need to genuinely be prepared to walk away. Both BMW UK and the original dealer I got the car from then volunteered to pay the £840 for the repair my car needed.

Edit: now I have it back and it's all good!
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2022, 12:10 AM   #20
dezzracer
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 CS

Worst peppered car I've ever seen. Surprised you did not see it and refuse the car and eat the travel cost. Unless I'm misunderstanding something, if you visually inspected then sign papers and drove away I think you're screwed. If you love the car have it painted or wrapped. Since you love the current color, the under hood, inside doors, trunk etc will already match and be in good condition and roof is carbon so no paint needed saving you money.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2022, 03:01 AM   #21
Crispy0001
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

Sorry to hear about that mate. Have you tried getting an opinion of a proper detailer? I would start there as it may look bad to the eye but a good detailer may be able to get rid of them.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2022, 06:45 AM   #22
Gbcarmona
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dezzracer View Post
Worst peppered car I've ever seen. Surprised you did not see it and refuse the car and eat the travel cost. Unless I'm misunderstanding something, if you visually inspected then sign papers and drove away I think you're screwed. If you love the car have it painted or wrapped. Since you love the current color, the under hood, inside doors, trunk etc will already match and be in good condition and roof is carbon so no paint needed saving you money.
Imagine travelling for 6 hours on a train to get your dream car that someone says its all in great condition, then I see the wheel arches but im assured I can take it and send a quote from the local guys to get sorted...im dealing with BMW not someone around the corner...naive I know now!
The ones along the doors and cills, you will be surprised how close you have to look and "under" almost to notice from close even, because of the angles.

ive called and said I was rejecting it...manager calls me with an attitude and saying a few lies "we never told you we would pay, we told you about these issues, we mention them on the presentation video (clearly not as I show him, etc etc)...quite aggressive and negative...the trust is lost now...but they have offered to collect the car in a van drive 300 miles to them and re-spray it and send it back...my worry is where will that be even done now? Can I trust it? Will it have lifetime warranty, I asked? he wouldn't commit to it.

Ive also said I would ask the local BMW for a quote and send it to them, which I know the job would be well done and sorted because they are reputable.

Not sure what to do?
Still reject and look at another (seen some in silver which are good spec and price but not really my favourite colours to be honest), send it to them and hope for the best, or contact BMW UK and hope they can make the car be resolved here in Sheffield...I don't know how good, or fast BMW UK customer service is even?
Appreciate 0