BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash/Wax/Detailing/Exterior Restoration & Repairs)

11-03-2021, 10:08 PM   #1
TouringM3
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '18 F80 6MT / '16 F31

Garage List
DON'T SPRAY driver's side engine bay | "Increased battery discharge while stopped"

Hey Pals –

Ever since putting the M3 wagon together i've gotten a consistent "Increased battery discharge while stopped" error message when the car is parked for longer than 2 days.

Figured it was all my fault for playing legos with two European cars, but, it's far more simple.

There is a small junction box (Integrated Supply Module) on the driver's side fire wall which contains a few crucial relays, and also connects the main chassis power to the DME.

Well, go figure, this is NOT a waterproof component. The combination of having sprayed coolant on it while filling / bleeding my system, and then doing a perhaps slightly overzealous engine bay cleaning definitely put the slow death to this module.

So, pro tip from the village idiot here, don't spray it down, don't get it wet, maybe don't even clean it. In fact, don't even think about water looking at it.

Photos and diagram attached.
Attached Images

Instagram: @TouringM3
Appreciate 4
      11-03-2021, 10:30 PM   #2
TopJimmy
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 Comp xDrive

A while back on my F80 the DME and ISM both got fried from "liquid intrusion" on one connector. BMW considered it "external influence" and warranty wouldn't cover it.

+100 for NOT washing your S55 engine.
      08-08-2023, 01:15 AM   #3
PierreBM5
Rep
Drives: BMW F90 M5, F80 M3, F07 530d

Quote:
Originally Posted by TouringM3 View Post
Hey Pals –

Ever since putting the M3 wagon together i've gotten a consistent "Increased battery discharge while stopped" error message when the car is parked for longer than 2 days.

Figured it was all my fault for playing legos with two European cars, but, it's far more simple.

There is a small junction box (Integrated Supply Module) on the driver's side fire wall which contains a few crucial relays, and also connects the main chassis power to the DME.

Well, go figure, this is NOT a waterproof component. The combination of having sprayed coolant on it while filling / bleeding my system, and then doing a perhaps slightly overzealous engine bay cleaning definitely put the slow death to this module.

So, pro tip from the village idiot here, don't spray it down, don't get it wet, maybe don't even clean it. In fact, don't even think about water looking at it.

Photos and diagram attached.

Hi Guys, Im a bit F'd... came across this thread in a desperate search for a fuse or problem that I may have caused by changing a coil on cyl2 and suspect that i touched the loom to the ground causing a short. Thats the facts of a long story, now I have no power on the ignition and injector system with permanent code 152007, no other codes and car just cranks without start. Anyone have any idea of where to look? I will take out the ISM but before stripping I want to be sure im looking in the correct spot.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2023, 03:15 AM   #4
PierreBM5
Rep
Drives: BMW F90 M5, F80 M3, F07 530d

Quote:
Originally Posted by PierreBM5 View Post
Hi Guys, Im a bit F'd... came across this thread in a desperate search for a fuse or problem that I may have caused by changing a coil on cyl2 and suspect that i touched the loom to the ground causing a short. Thats the facts of a long story, now I have no power on the ignition and injector system with permanent code 152007, no other codes and car just cranks without start. Anyone have any idea of where to look? I will take out the ISM but before stripping I want to be sure im looking in the correct spot.
Got it sorted, it blew a fuse inside the ISM module! So if you ever change a coil or injector and had a short of some sort you know where to check! Will teach me to take the battery terminal off in the future!
Appreciate 3
csboi379.50
hC1001591.00