ARMA SPEED
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M4 GTS Discussions

06-11-2021, 06:21 PM   #1
scaramanga
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Looking to buy a 1M

Potentially New GTS owner

Hi everyone. I’ve succumbed to peer pressure and may be buying an M4 GTS in the near future.

Just wanted to check if anyone has tips on what to look for when i view the car ? I’ve read that the car needs to have the specific toolkit, but I will be buying from a main dealer in the UK so am assuming they will supply everything that should come with it.

Is there a checklist of things that I should look for ? I will be taking my trusty paint depth gauge when go to view it, so that I can find out if it’s had point. Will assume not, seeing as it’s only done about 1200 miles but just want to be safe!

Any tips/advice would be appreciated!
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2021, 08:41 AM   #2
Lienrocs
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, M4 GTS, HP4

Don't count on the suspension adjustment wrenches/tools coming with the car because it's a dealer.

See if you can pull the stone filter out and see what condition it's in. They calcify really quickly and that could be an indicator of the WI is working.

Check to make sure the knuckles aren't cracked and make sure none of the dampers are leaking.

Do your best to check the rotors. The only way to really see the wear is weighing them but that's most likely not going to happen.

Other than that your basic car stuff. Service recorded, previous usage. Tracked cars are as reliable as non tracked cars if maintained properly.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2021, 10:54 AM   #3
schnell325
Bored at work....
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 F82 M4 GTS//2022 M235iGC

Try to negotiate an extended warranty of some sort. Just to be safe.
Grey Matter:2008 E92 M3:608/425. SG/PS SOLD!
Dark Matter:2015 F80 M3:495/505. SOLD!
Anti Matter :2016 F82 M4 GTS
What next?!? A 2022 M235i GC- I must be getting old
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2021, 02:30 AM   #4
scaramanga
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lienrocs View Post
Don't count on the suspension adjustment wrenches/tools coming with the car because it's a dealer.

See if you can pull the stone filter out and see what condition it's in. They calcify really quickly and that could be an indicator of the WI is working.

Check to make sure the knuckles aren't cracked and make sure none of the dampers are leaking.

Do your best to check the rotors. The only way to really see the wear is weighing them but that's most likely not going to happen.

Other than that your basic car stuff. Service recorded, previous usage. Tracked cars are as reliable as non tracked cars if maintained properly.
Thanks, much appreciated. The car has had two services which I believe is in line with BMW schedule (and the fact it’s only done 1.2k miles).

Will be sure to check over all of the above!
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2021, 02:52 AM   #5
scaramanga
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by schnell325 View Post
Try to negotiate an extended warranty of some sort. Just to be safe.
I think the problem is that BMW in the UK won't offer more than 1yr warranty on Approved Used cars. Annoying as I used to negotiate 2-3 years in the past.
Appreciate 1
      06-13-2021, 07:34 AM   #6
PolishM3
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 GTS,2018 M3CS,2023 BMW IX

Quote:

I second the key things to look for. I just purchased mine three months ago and many of the cars I was looking at the owners had no idea about the cracked knuckles until I asked them to look at them (2 of the 3 had at least one cracked). I eventually bought one with a cracked drivers knuckle and negotiated to have BMW replace both under a customer good will while I paid for the labor. Yours has 1/3 the miles mine did so you may have less to do!

Additional things to do after purchase:
- brake fluid flush
- oil change
- Replaced the water injection filter
- I replaced my air filters with BMC filters (easy to do, don't waste money on BMW labor)
- Cabin filter replacement
- check the suspension, I ended up having to replace the plastic spring perches because they mushroomed over time. BMW won't sell them without the full assembly so you can get them from KW for under $40usd plus shipping. Labor from BMW gets you though ($350 usd) (so easiest way to check is to try to adjust the ride height with the tools and if it's difficult to move you probably have the same issue)

Additionally if you're lucky enough the original owner may have installed PPF and then it's much easier to maintain. Mine is frozen grey and had stealth xpel installed on the entire car by the original owner.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2021, 11:26 AM   #7
Lienrocs
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolishM3 View Post
Quote:

I second the key things to look for. I just purchased mine three months ago and many of the cars I was looking at the owners had no idea about the cracked knuckles until I asked them to look at them (2 of the 3 had at least one cracked). I eventually bought one with a cracked drivers knuckle and negotiated to have BMW replace both under a customer good will while I paid for the labor. Yours has 1/3 the miles mine did so you may have less to do!

- brake fluid flush
- oil change
- I replaced my air filters with BMC filters (easy to do, don't waste money on BMW labor)
- check the suspension, I ended up having to replace the plastic spring perches because they mushroomed over time. BMW won't sell them without the full assembly so you can get them from KW for under $40usd plus shipping. Labor from BMW gets you though ($350 usd) (so easiest way to check is to try to adjust the ride height with the tools and if it's difficult to move you probably have the same issue)

Additionally if you're lucky enough the original owner may have installed PPF and then it's much easier to maintain. Mine is frozen grey and had stealth xpel installed on the entire car by the original owner.
I'm curious if you have my old car. Did you buy it off some guy in FL?
Appreciate 1
      06-13-2021, 12:27 PM   #8
PolishM3
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

- brake fluid flush
- oil change

I'm curious if you have my old car. Did you buy it off some guy in FL?
I actually bought it from Jersey and the car was shipped to the last owner from California so I don't think it's that exact car. Do you know the last 7 of the VIN?
Appreciate 1
Lienrocs703.00
      06-13-2021, 06:53 PM   #9
Flint Rockbone
Pilot of the Caribbean
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4 GTS

I thought the consensus on the cracked knuckles was that it only affected earlier build cars.
G30 M550i
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2021, 07:02 PM   #10
Lienrocs
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flint Rockbone View Post
I thought the consensus on the cracked knuckles was that it only affected earlier build cars.
Mine (knock on wood) are still good to go after 16k miles and a dozen track days.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2021, 11:36 AM   #11
scaramanga
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Thanks all. Had mine checked today by the dealer.

Pics attached. Seems to be fine!
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
Lienrocs703.00
      06-14-2021, 11:38 AM   #12
scaramanga
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Meant to add… they must think I am really hard work! Insisted the car be put up on the ramp to check.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2021, 12:27 PM   #13
scaramanga
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

In terms of the recall, was it the drive shaft that was replaced ?
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2021, 12:57 PM   #14
Lienrocs
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by scaramanga View Post
In terms of the recall, was it the drive shaft that was replaced ?
Yes. There was a driveshaft recall on some cars.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2021, 01:17 PM   #15
PolishM3
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Looks good. This what they look like when they're not fine
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-14-2021, 06:26 PM   #16
Lienrocs
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

I really hope they let you keep that for some garage art.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2021, 06:30 AM   #17
PolishM3
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I really hope they let you keep that for some garage art.
I tried but BMW's engineers wanted them back to evaluate the failure
Appreciate 1
Lienrocs703.00
      06-15-2021, 01:01 PM   #18
scaramanga
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Collection tomorrow!
Appreciate 3
      06-15-2021, 08:38 PM   #19
PolishM3
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Collection tomorrow!
Congrats! Enjoy the first drive!
Appreciate 1
      06-16-2021, 03:13 AM   #20
biscuits
Dimmer than a dim thing
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M4 GTS, EQC, X5 40d, simrig

Garage List
Quote:
Collection tomorrow!
Look forward to seeing and hearing all about it
Appreciate 1
      06-16-2021, 04:54 PM   #21
scaramanga
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

So folks, picked up the car today. Only a short (8 mile) drive home, some of which was in traffic.

Initial thoughts….

Ride quality:
- very firm ride but not crashy
- maybe I need to check the current suspension settings

Noise:
- sounds absolutely amazing
- didn't drive it too hard, but the open valves in sport/sport+ are Incredible
- doesn't sound bad in regular ('efficient') mode either to be fair

Looks
- has real presence and I think the last of the decent looking BMW coupes (am not a fan of the G-generation M4)
- very aggressive and I love the frozen grey paintwork (sadly this means I will be having to get PPF)

Handling
- very solid feeling on the road
- handles beautifully, I really liked the steering feel and turn-in.

Cabin
- interior is superb, especially the LED wheel
- shame about the manual AC controls but genuinely not an issue
- similarly, it only has speakers in the back, certainly no HK stereo.
- would be interested to know if anyone has mildly improved the standard audio system

Overall
- genuinely an occasion to drive
- from my brief drive today, it seemed more 'fun' than my 991.1 GT3 that I had
- to be clear, the 991 may be the better car but I'm not a good enough driver to exploit either
- put another way, the M4 GTS made me laugh out loud, something I've only experienced in a few other cars (and not the 991!)

Gratuitous pic, at home with great grandpa on the right!
Attached Images

Appreciate 4
Lienrocs703.00
Gomeler500.00
      06-16-2021, 08:43 PM   #22
Gomeler
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '16 M235iR, '16 M4 GTS

Great pickup. I highly recommend some matte PPF. It doesn't look as great as the paint in my opinion, but it is nice knowing nothing short of a serious impact is going to damage the paint. My windshield has starbursts all over from rock impacts but the body is still 10/10 with the PPF absorbing everything.

It's also very interesting seeing where on the body the car kicks rocks into itself. I do not regret a full PPF. Has the added bonus of incredible ease of washing.
Appreciate 0