proTUNING Freaks
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

08-04-2021, 01:21 PM   #45
NickyC
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: M4 CS. Former G82, x2 F82, F80

KW V3 coilovers are the best mod and nobody will change my mind otherwise. Had them done on both of my M4s and transformed the machine each time.

Worst mod? Eh, I liked everything I did pretty much except for maybe the carbon fiber interior door handles. I had them on my first M4, but didn't bother with them on the 2nd one. I wound up liking the stock pulls with leather and colored stitching better.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2021, 02:32 PM   #46
Dav3
Major
Rep
Drives: G87 M2/E89 35is/F21 M140i/GT4

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyC View Post
KW V3 coilovers are the best mod and nobody will change my mind otherwise. Had them done on both of my M4s and transformed the machine each time.

Worst mod? Eh, I liked everything I did pretty much except for maybe the carbon fiber interior door handles. I had them on my first M4, but didn't bother with them on the 2nd one. I wound up liking the stock pulls with leather and colored stitching better.
It's a mod that has been on my mind but with a front splitter it will make it hard to daily
Gone: E92 M3 | RS3 8V | E82 1M | AMG GT-S | X3M Comp | F80 M3 | Juke Nismo RS | E85 Z4 M Roadster | R58 Coupe JCW | F87 M2C| F87 M2 | F22 M240i | F82 M4 | E89 Z4 2.0i | F56 Cooper S | E92 330i | R56 One
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2021, 03:51 PM   #47
Jim45678
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M3 f80

Quote:
Originally Posted by jibarra View Post
those are the ones I have and love them. Sounds in Sport + are
have you experienced idle issues as mentioned?
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2021, 11:09 AM   #48
trungnguyen28
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dav3 View Post
F80 and F82 Platform have been around for almost 8 years now and now that production has finished, would be interesting to hear from the many owners what modifications they ended up finding overrated or underrated!

To start the thread, to me:

Overrated:

- Alcantara steering wheels. I was drooling after them for many years but never got around buying and installing one for various reasons. To scratch the itch, it was the first mod I bought for my F80 M3 and it was pretty dissapointing. In pictures it looks very comfortable to touch but in real life, unless you're wearing gloves, isn't very smooth or practical for daily driving. If you have sweaty hands its also a cleaning nightmare, and inevitably, the more you will clean it, the sooner it will degrade. At the end of the day, Alcantara is just synthetic plastic, its nowhere near as special as one would think it is.

Underrated

- This is not a specific item, but I feel like a good amount of cheap Chinese carbon fiber replica stuff is actually top notch. Sure, fitment almost never is and never will be OEM perfect but for a fraction of the cost you're really getting 95% of the product. Worst of all, 8/10 aftermarket vendors of CF stuff, pretty much just dropship these Chinese products and when its an EU or US company selling them, people generally don't complain which is pretty ironic.

What's yours?
Sad about the alcantara steering wheel, I wanted one too. Guess I'll skip! Agree with the underrated chinese replica stuff. The eBay thread is awesome.

Overrated: Burbles.

Underrated: Infotainment + coding, these things make the car more enjoyable and more updated. I did the Alibaba CarPlay and got the car coded by Alex @ Alpine.
Appreciate 2
Dav3946.50
ck_M359.50
      08-05-2021, 12:43 PM   #49
From5toM
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by icegrill View Post
Overrated: Catless down pipes on a street driven car. M or CS carbon rear wing (too many other cars have knockoffs of them)

Underrated: Dinan axle back with an AA midpipe 🤤, BMS clutch stop. Oh yeah one more: RW carbon mirror caps. They're a pretty legit operation.
Was considering this too. Been researching so much on this. You do mean equal length AA midpipe right? And any CEL's from this? Hopefully not. I'm stock otherwise.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2021, 01:45 PM   #50
heitzke
Captain
Rep
Drives: '15 M4 base, '04 Cobra

I've honestly enjoyed all the things i've done to the car. I will say that even the Swift-R springs I used have made the car a lot tougher to live with and daily in a city. They *look* awesome but you have to be careful everywhere.

Overrated: rear bumper reflectors. I might swap back to the oem red tbh. The painted fronts are awesome in comparison, even with the paint not matching well at all.

Underrated: I really considered not getting the windows tinted at all, but after doing it I realized how much a GOOD tint does for keeping heat out of the interior. I did Suntek CXP vs the Carbon, etc and it was noticeably different.

I'll also admit that I had the SSR 4-pin crank hub done and it's done a LOT for peace of mind. Obviously the car doesn't feel any different but it's a load off to not have to worry about that one aspect failing on me.
Appreciate 2
      08-05-2021, 01:51 PM   #51
N1rve
Racecar Driver
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Garage List
2019 BMW M4  [9.63]
Quote:
Originally Posted by heitzke View Post
I've honestly enjoyed all the things i've done to the car. I will say that even the Swift-R springs I used have made the car a lot tougher to live with and daily in a city. They *look* awesome but you have to be careful everywhere.

Overrated: rear bumper reflectors. I might swap back to the oem red tbh. The painted fronts are awesome in comparison, even with the paint not matching well at all.

Underrated: I really considered not getting the windows tinted at all, but after doing it I realized how much a GOOD tint does for keeping heat out of the interior. I did Suntek CXP vs the Carbon, etc and it was noticeably different.

I'll also admit that I had the SSR 4-pin crank hub done and it's done a LOT for peace of mind. Obviously the car doesn't feel any different but it's a load off to not have to worry about that one aspect failing on me.
There is one level higher for Suntek tint and it's CIR. CXP is nano-carbon not ceramic.

2019 BMW ///M4 - Alpine White | Sakhir Orange/Black Leather | M-DCT | Executive Package | 19" Black 437M Wheels | Carbon Fiber Trim | Sunroof | Active Blind Spot | Heated Steering Wheel | Adaptive M Suspension
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2021, 11:30 AM   #52
heitzke
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by N1rve View Post
There is one level higher for Suntek tint and it's CIR. CXP is nano-carbon not ceramic.
Ah haha I didn't realize that. The tint shop didn't even carry/offer CIR. I've been super impressed with the CXP too.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2021, 12:00 PM   #53
N1rve
Racecar Driver
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Garage List
2019 BMW M4  [9.63]
Quote:
Originally Posted by heitzke View Post
Ah haha I didn't realize that. The tint shop didn't even carry/offer CIR. I've been super impressed with the CXP too.
You aren't missing out much. No real/huge difference. For the price, CXP can't be beat.

2019 BMW ///M4 - Alpine White | Sakhir Orange/Black Leather | M-DCT | Executive Package | 19" Black 437M Wheels | Carbon Fiber Trim | Sunroof | Active Blind Spot | Heated Steering Wheel | Adaptive M Suspension
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2021, 07:25 PM   #54
CJStevens
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80

Overrated: Competition package. Not talking bad about it as I have one, but once you tune it, your essentially just paying extra for the wheels. The comp exhaust doesn't really make a difference over the standard one and if you really want it, you can buy them for like $300 on the forums.

Underrated: Removing the carbon filters in the air boxes and running high flow performance filters in it. Really changes the sound and you can feel the difference in throttle response for sure. After market intakes look cool but they don't really add any power, the stock intakes are very well designed.
Appreciate 5
      08-06-2021, 07:39 PM   #55
9M71
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 | 6MT

Lightweight lip. Overrated cause fitment is trash. Underrated at the same time since it's indestructible.
Appreciate 1
      08-06-2021, 08:50 PM   #56
kchan
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 ZCP

Adding my 2 cents.

Underrated:
Front windshield tint with Suntek CXP70. I did the front windows right after I got the car, but did the windshield recently and wish I did it earlier. Was thinking CIR but was concern about hazing and stuff. My shop actually has been using the CIR and he needs to order the CXP70 just for me.

MPHAS, makes the ride more stable and looks better without the wheel gap
Appreciate 1
ck_M359.50
      08-07-2021, 01:43 PM   #57
spool twice
Rainbow Racer
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M4cs

Garage List
2019 M4cs  [0.00]
underrated...

silver headlight switch trim to match the other trims in the interior...its a $10 mod from a part on amazon and I'm surprised it's not more popular.

Appreciate 1
      08-09-2021, 07:19 PM   #58
codys21
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F83

This is a very interesting thread. I'm going to have to look into getting my windshield tinted. My state is relatively strict on window tinting but hopefully I can at least get the 85% or something on my windshield. My wife and I always wear polarized sunglasses so just being able to see the HUD better might be worth it.
Appreciate 1
ck_M359.50
      08-09-2021, 10:33 PM   #59
JagR2611
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by codys21 View Post
This is a very interesting thread. I'm going to have to look into getting my windshield tinted. My state is relatively strict on window tinting but hopefully I can at least get the 85% or something on my windshield. My wife and I always wear polarized sunglasses so just being able to see the HUD better might be worth it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by codys21 View Post

Agree & think it's a great thread…

For what it's worth, I tint the windshields on all of my cars and wear polarized sunglasses w/o issue. I think it's illegal in most states but don't think 85% will draw any unwanted attention (mine are darker and so far so good).

Underrated - Not sure everyone would consider it a "modification" but I installed the euro sun visors and feel it really cleaned up the interior.

Be well!
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2021, 11:15 PM   #60
NickyC
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: M4 CS. Former G82, x2 F82, F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dav3 View Post
It's a mod that has been on my mind but with a front splitter it will make it hard to daily
You definitely have to be careful, I've gone through 2 performance splitters now on my prior cars. Cracked two real well, but you can find them cheap if you look enough for like $400 so it was worth it to me.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
heitzke1152.50
      08-10-2021, 08:49 AM   #61
heitzke
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyC View Post
You definitely have to be careful, I've gone through 2 performance splitters now on my prior cars. Cracked two real well, but you can find them cheap if you look enough for like $400 so it was worth it to me.
Damn! Static drop? I don't think i'd survive Nashville roads like that and i'm super careful.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2021, 09:15 AM   #62
codys21
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F83

Quote:
Originally Posted by JagR2611 View Post
Agree & think it's a great thread…

For what it's worth, I tint the windshields on all of my cars and wear polarized sunglasses w/o issue. I think it's illegal in most states but don't think 85% will draw any unwanted attention (mine are darker and so far so good).

Underrated - Not sure everyone would consider it a "modification" but I installed the euro sun visors and feel it really cleaned up the interior.

Be well!
In Iowa, the legal limit for windshield tint is 70%. The first tinting place I contacted actually said most windshields already read about 70% so it's his belief adding anything would knock me below 70%. However, he does have an 80% ceramic based film.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2021, 11:24 AM   #63
jibarra
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim45678 View Post
have you experienced idle issues as mentioned?
None yet!
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2021, 11:28 AM   #64
brocurls
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Mazdarati

Overrated: Alcantara M Steering Wheels. Just not visually appealing, especially someone who can have sweaty hands. Bought a CF/Leather wheel from eBay, let's see how this one is in real life once I get it delivered.

Unnderated: some Aliexpress vendors, particularly JC Sportsline. Bought a bunch of CF from them and pleased with the fit/finish for a fraction of the OEM price.

DD: 2020 Mazda CrystalWhite CX-5 GT w/PP
Wife's: 2023 Audi S5 Sportback DistrictGreen Premium Plus w/Blk Optic Package
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2021, 07:54 AM   #65
Jim45678
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M3 f80

Quote:
Originally Posted by brocurls View Post
Overrated: Alcantara M Steering Wheels. Just not visually appealing, especially someone who can have sweaty hands. Bought a CF/Leather wheel from eBay, let's see how this one is in real life once I get it delivered.

Unnderated: some Aliexpress vendors, particularly JC Sportsline. Bought a bunch of CF from them and pleased with the fit/finish for a fraction of the OEM price.

What did you get from them? Any pics?
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2021, 08:25 AM   #66
heitzke
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim45678 View Post
What did you get from them? Any pics?
Also curious - I just bookmarked them as a decent source for front lips. I know i'll go through a few of them and would rather not spend heavily in that area
Appreciate 0