BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics

10-22-2022, 03:53 PM   #1
mindgame3713
Rep
Drives: F80/E90

6MT - Reverse Sensor??

Hoping someone might have some idea what I am dealing with here.

A couple months ago after getting a different exhaust and a new custom tune (factory ECU) on my F80, the gear position indicator on the instrument cluster disappeared, the car stopped turning on the backup camera when going into reverse, and the passenger mirror tilt stopped working (I know the switch has to be to the right).

I assumed this had something to do with the tune and the version of the ECU software the tuner used, so I simply coded the camera to turn on as soon as the car rolled back and moved on with my life. It was annoying to not have the mirror tilt but whatever (It is coded on with bimmercode but doesnt work).

Now I just took it in for an inspection and found that the white reverse lights no long come on either. The car has GTS OLED taillights (the rest of which are still working) and given that both reverse LEDs are out, I feel like it has to be some kind of sensor going bad.

I found some information on older cars (e46s) having a reverse switch on the side of the trans but I cannot find anything like this for the F80. I even got under there today to check and didnt see anything obvious on the transmission. I also stopped by the BMW dealership and they told me they had never had a reverse sensor go bad in any car, or heard of one going bad so it had to be coding. They didn't even know what sensor was responsible for turning on the reverse lights. Cherry on top is they cannot do any coding without undoing the tune so I am hoping someone might have seen this before and can point me in the right direction before I bring it in and then get the car retuned.

Thanks in advance for any information!
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2022, 11:03 AM   #2
e46IX
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4MC, E92 M3, F80 M3

Older manual trans BMW's had a reverse light switch mounted on the side of the transmission. The F8x uses a gear position switch mounted on the top of the transmission. There is one connector going there I believe it was a 3 or 4 pin connector. The harness runs on the intake manifold side of the engine with the oil level sensor harness if I remember correctly. Check if it somehow became unplugged or the wiring got frayed/damaged.
Appreciate 1
      12-16-2022, 03:33 PM   #3
mindgame3713
Rep
Drives: F80/E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by e46IX View Post
Older manual trans BMW's had a reverse light switch mounted on the side of the transmission. The F8x uses a gear position switch mounted on the top of the transmission. There is one connector going there I believe it was a 3 or 4 pin connector. The harness runs on the intake manifold side of the engine with the oil level sensor harness if I remember correctly. Check if it somehow became unplugged or the wiring got frayed/damaged.
Well, it took quite a while but I wanted to post a conclusion if anyone else ever comes across this problem. e46IX was right on the money. It was the gear position switch (Part#: 23142283799). No dealerships around me had it so we had to order it from Germany which took forever. Got it sorted out through and everything now works.
Appreciate 2
bvrider1343.50
e46IX108.50