European Auto Source (EAS)
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

01-12-2020, 08:48 AM   #1
TomsM4
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW M4, 2018

Improvement on M4 competition package suspension and lowering

Hi all;
My 2015 M4 was just totalled by a drunk driver, so I'm planning to get a new M4 with the competition package. The 2015 had the adaptive suspension, but I put MCS coilovers on the 2015 car that I was pleased with. The car was lower, but I could adjust the dampers to make the car reasonably comfortable on New York streets (lots of potholes), but could tighten them up enough for track days. I use the car about 50:50 pleasure driving:track driving. Does anyone know how improved the new adaptive suspension on the competition package is compared to 2015 models? I originally put lower springs on the 2015 that I was pleased with, but made the ride way too harsh on the roads. If the new adaptive suspension is good enough, I'd still like to lower the car. If the new adaptive suspension is adequate for track performance, any recommendation as to adjustable lowering systems? Also, I was told by an installer that every time I change the height adjustment I need to do an alignment; any thoughts on that? I would probably not do that and just keep the car lower.
Thanks
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2020, 02:44 PM   #2
AlterZgo
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 23 X3 M40i, 21 911S, 24 Taycan

If you want to keep adjustability and maintain as much OEM functionality as possible, go with MP HAS and try to stay within the guidelines, IOW don't slam the car. Keep a good amt of suspension travel so your car can function as intended by the engineers.

As for alignment, I only lowered my front by about 1" and the rears by about 1/4" or 1/2" or so and I had the car aligned anyway. The alignment shop said the alignment wasn't all that bad and the car was in spec. However, it is always safest to do an alignment. Our tires are very expensive. If your car has excessive toe out, you can literally chew through a set of front tires in about 1,000 miles or so. So, why not just get it checked and set up properly? It will typically cost you less than $100 vs $700 for a new pair of MP4S tires.

I'd drive around with the car lowered for about a week or a hundred or two hundred miles or so before taking it back in for alignment. This is to let the suspension settle a bit and also to make sure you like the ride height and the suspension travel you are getting before you do the alignment. You don't want to have the alignment done, then decide that you want to mess around with the ride height some more after the fact.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2020, 01:38 PM   #3
TomsM4
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW M4, 2018

Great, thanks for the advice. How does the MP HAS compare with Dinan?
Appreciate 0