European Auto Source (EAS)
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

01-19-2020, 08:27 AM   #1
JeffB-M3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M3

All-season tires for HDPE

I recently installed the Michelin Pilot Sport 3+ All-Season tires as the M3 is my DD and the MPSS tires were struggling a bit in the cold. Anyways...I just signed up for my first HDPE at Dominion Raceway in Virginia. My intent is to start slow and work up to greater speeds, but should I be concerned with running all-season tires? I've been trolling one or two sets of track wheels and tires but don't want to spend the money until after I decide whether tracking is gonna be a new hobby. Thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2020, 09:35 AM   #2
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep
Drives: E90M/E92M/M4GTS/M4GT4/X5M

You'll be just fine if you are just getting started. The A/S3 is an excellent tire.
Appreciate 1
      01-19-2020, 09:40 AM   #3
TheBreeze
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80

While not ideal, for your first time out, you should be fine, provided you don't go out to set land speed records. Dominion has a lot of wall and not much room if you make a mistake, so be cautious. Someplace like VIR or NCCAR has lots of room, so you can usually come away unscathed if you spin or go off track. It's all about risk you are comfortable taking. As you pick up pace through experience, you will roast the all seasons. Up to you if you want to preempt that with track tires/wheels. The thing to consider is that running r comps as a beginner is that speeds will be much higher when they break loose, and it's better to learn how to correct at lower speeds of street tires.

Finally, get track insurance. F80s are way too much money to take a total loss. Your regular car insurance won't cover you on racing surfaces.

Last edited by TheBreeze; 01-19-2020 at 09:47 AM..
Appreciate 2
      01-19-2020, 10:46 AM   #4
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

My $0.02, go to an event with a local f80 owner, get some ride alongs and see if you like it, then go yourself with 200tw tires.

I really think you will be held back and have a lot less fun with all Season tires
Appreciate 1
      01-19-2020, 08:40 PM   #5
Montaver
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G87 M2 & M340i LCI

AS/3+ are incredible tires, they grip quite similarly to PSS on the street in my experience. Where they will struggle is heat, once they start feeling squirmy under braking back off a bit and let them cool down. For a first time out just have fun and don't worry about it. And if it rains heavily you will probably be the fastest guy out there 👍
Appreciate 2
tomlong617.00
      01-20-2020, 12:28 PM   #6
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montaver View Post
AS/3+ are incredible tires, they grip quite similarly to PSS on the street in my experience. Where they will struggle is heat, once they start feeling squirmy under braking back off a bit and let them cool down. For a first time out just have fun and don't worry about it. And if it rains heavily you will probably be the fastest guy out there 👍
Lol that’s so true.

But if the grip and heat tolerance is like PSS that isn’t “incredible” imho other than for commuting
Appreciate 0