GetBMWParts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > DIY and Coding Discussions

07-29-2019, 05:23 PM   #155
em4ef82
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4 F82

Quote:
Originally Posted by em4ef82 View Post
Adding few notes and pictures from install I just did:

1- Most importantly you need to make sure you are using the correct instructions. There is one from 2014 (using the connectors under the footwell trim for grounding vs. the one from 2016 using the right door wiring harness for ground wire.

2- I used the one from 01/2016 which refers to right door wiring harness X5*1B (below)
Quote:

1- Most importantly you need to make sure you are using the correct instructions. There is one from 2014 (using the connectors under the footwell trim for grounding vs. the one from 2016 using the right door wiring harness for ground wire.

2- I used the one from 01/2016 which refers to right door wiring harness X5*1B (below)
3- Right door wiring harness is visible when you open the door. Push the tab upward and pull the male connector towards you. Female connector stays in the door column. Push in the tabs on top and bottom of female connector and let it fall inside where you will need to reach behind FEM cover and get it (first unscrew T-20 sitting in the middle of FEM box and gently separate from the frame just enough to squeeze your hand in and grab it.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
blitzyo53.00
      07-29-2019, 05:36 PM   #156
em4ef82
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

3- Right door wiring harness is visible when you open the door. Push the tab upward and pull the male connector towards you. Female connector stays in the door column. Push in the tabs on top and bottom of female connector and let it fall inside where you will need to reach behind FEM cover and get it (first unscrew T-20 sitting in the middle of FEM box and gently separate from the frame just enough to squeeze your hand in and grab it.
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

4- Route the only wire that goes to steering column (blue and white) starting from passenger side as seen in the picture below
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-29-2019, 05:45 PM   #157
em4ef82
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

4- Route the only wire that goes to steering column (blue and white) starting from passenger side as seen in the picture below
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

5- Just take your time and double check PIN numbers and colors- good practice is to mark all the wires and connectors prior to installation.

6- Make sure to crimp those mini connectors used to tap two wires to the right door wiring harness- You need to hear a click until it pushes in all the way.

7- One last advice, make sure you properly connect back the plugs CON2 (behind FEM cover) and A8*32B (behind steering column switch cluster) as they both use locking lever mechanism to securely pull the plug in to the socket.
Appreciate 1
blitzyo53.00
      08-11-2019, 10:48 PM   #158
Dan94
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 F80 LCI ZCP

Could somebody please upload the pictures again or put everything to a pdf file?
Where should the controll unit (ECU) go who comes with the set?
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2019, 04:44 AM   #159
RJ019
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i Low Mount ST

I just installed my one and it does not seem to turn on. I have checked the power going to the steering wheel while ignition is off and is around 2.5v. Does anyone know what triggers the wheel to boot up when the ignition is turned on? I am assuming it have something to do with the PT CAN signal?
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2019, 05:09 AM   #160
seattle0099
Rep
Drives: BMW 520D and M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ019 View Post
I just installed my one and it does not seem to turn on. I have checked the power going to the steering wheel while ignition is off and is around 2.5v. Does anyone know what triggers the wheel to boot up when the ignition is turned on? I am assuming it have something to do with the PT CAN signal?
I just installed mine with the same issue, but finally I sorted all issues out.

If you wire everything to right place, the common issue could be the socket casing E contact issue with the A5. When you remove cables from pin 18&19 of CON2, the clip on the cable pin may already become loose, so when you put them into socket casing E and connect to A5, it can't contact with A5 well.

After analyzing the whole wiring process, I found this was the highest possible part to cause the issue of the steering wheel not turning on.

Especially when the cable from pin19 of CON2 connect with A5 not well, your steering won't turn on.

It is 2 way connections when you connect casing E and A5. I tried connect and disconnect each way of cables to see the result and I get following:

1. If contact issue is from the cable from pin 18 (red), car will show hood and parking brake warning and you can't start the engine.

2. If contact issue is from the cable from pin 19 (blue/red), the car won't give any error but steering wheel has no power.

My final method is, instead of connection casing E to A5 directly, I tap both above cables (from pin 18&19 of CON 2) to both cables on A5 respectively.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2019, 04:17 PM   #161
Jamief80m3
Registered
Rep
Drives: F80 m3

Anybody able to reupload the original images please ?
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2020, 08:54 PM   #162
TypeDre
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82 MW 6MT

Hey guys, had my MP Electronic steering wheel installed about 6months ago on my 2016 M4 and it's been working fine but since November I've a sporadic Cruise Control Malfunction error message pop up on the iDrive screen, at the same time my steering wheel would not power on at all. The buttons on the steering wheel works for the most part, volume up down etc all works. I ran diagnostics using BM3 and saw the following code:

Front Electronics (FEM_BODY)
030490 Steering wheel electronics (LRE) (LIN): missing LIN slave

In the past, I was able to make this temporarily go away by pulling the power to the battery for 60secs and steering wheel would work afterwards but this doesn't work any longer. Does anyone know what the code means?

Would appreciate your suggestions and advice on where to look at!

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2020, 08:57 PM   #163
TypeDre
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by seattle0099 View Post
I just installed mine with the same issue, but finally I sorted all issues out.

If you wire everything to right place, the common issue could be the socket casing E contact issue with the A5. When you remove cables from pin 18&19 of CON2, the clip on the cable pin may already become loose, so when you put them into socket casing E and connect to A5, it can't contact with A5 well.

After analyzing the whole wiring process, I found this was the highest possible part to cause the issue of the steering wheel not turning on.

Especially when the cable from pin19 of CON2 connect with A5 not well, your steering won't turn on.

It is 2 way connections when you connect casing E and A5. I tried connect and disconnect each way of cables to see the result and I get following:

1. If contact issue is from the cable from pin 18 (red), car will show hood and parking brake warning and you can't start the engine.

2. If contact issue is from the cable from pin 19 (blue/red), the car won't give any error but steering wheel has no power.

My final method is, instead of connection casing E to A5 directly, I tap both above cables (from pin 18&19 of CON 2) to both cables on A5 respectively.
Bro are you from Seattle? Would appreciate your help if your local! I'm north of Seattle around Northgate area.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2020, 01:40 PM   #164
Rebel.ranter
Registered
Ireland
Rep
Drives: F82 M4, e63 M6,e63 630i, e36 v

Quote:
This was a REALLY helpful addition to a great thread. Thank both to you and the OP.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2020, 05:06 PM   #165
Keebin
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M3

This thread was so helpful, i was able to install my wheel on the first try.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-05-2020, 03:36 PM   #166
Mark 1M
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by TypeDre View Post
Hey guys, had my MP Electronic steering wheel installed about 6months ago on my 2016 M4 and it's been working fine but since November I've a sporadic Cruise Control Malfunction error message pop up on the iDrive screen, at the same time my steering wheel would not power on at all. The buttons on the steering wheel works for the most part, volume up down etc all works. I ran diagnostics using BM3 and saw the following code:

In the past, I was able to make this temporarily go away by pulling the power to the battery for 60secs and steering wheel would work afterwards but this doesn't work any longer. Does anyone know what the code means?

Thanks!

I bought my M2c with the wheel installed and i was getting this problem
there is a part missing inside the steering wheel behind the airbag its a control module a small black plastic part lucky i had it and after pluging it in all sorted hope this helps
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2020, 01:12 PM   #167
TypeDre
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark 1M View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by TypeDre View Post

Thanks!

I bought my M2c with the wheel installed and i was getting this problem
there is a part missing inside the steering wheel behind the airbag its a control module a small black plastic part lucky i had it and after pluging it in all sorted hope this helps
Thanks for the reply man, my steering wheel now turns on and lights up but the rev lights aren't working. The middle green light just lights up while I'm driving and does not register with any rpm limit that I set. It just blinks while I'm driving. Any ideas?

Did yours power up before you plugged in the black cable you mentioned?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2020, 04:05 PM   #168
blitzyo
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 19' M2C

My shifting paddles don't work anymore after race display install. I've plugged them inside the steering wheel tight. Could the issue be somewhere in the FEM/Door connector wiring with the retrofit cable? This is on a M2C.

Error Code: [8044B0: SHIFT PADDLES: SHORT TO POSITIVE OR OPEN CIRCUIT]

Edit: Fixed it. Connector A83*2B behind the clockspring was loose. Don't try to fit it in on sound alone, it's a tricky connector. It needs a deep push inside to actually lock.

Last edited by blitzyo; 03-21-2020 at 08:34 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2020, 05:57 AM   #169
aaron84
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 F83 Silverstone Metalli

Hello guys,
Apologies for what may be a silly question but I'm still quite confused...especially as the pictures aren't available anymore.
I've got a 2015 M4 and recently bought the race display wheel. Aside from the cables for the multi function buttons, I have nothing. My question is do I still need to purchase the retrofit cable etc to fit it to my car?
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2020, 06:53 AM   #170
aaron84
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 F83 Silverstone Metalli

So I've been doing a little bit more reading and only now discovered I do need the retrofit cable...and it's almost impossible to get....great ��
Are there any aftermarket retrofit kits out there? Or anyone got spare they want to sell? I feel like I've thrown money away
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2020, 02:57 PM   #171
TRYM3
Captain
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

was anyone able to upload the original pics?
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2020, 09:36 AM   #172
TRYM3
Captain
Rep

well I managed to screw things up, Pretty much got every error on the idrive and now the car wont start
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2020, 09:49 AM   #173
laurentiusrh
Registered
Indonesia
Rep
Drives: BMW 320i F30

F30 Control unit M perfomance steering wheel

I need bmw control unit for M Perfomance steering wheel with race display , 61352334013 -Control unit

anyone want to sell the control unit?

last month i bought the steering wheel but it missing the control unit

Hit Me up ! thanks
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2020, 10:41 AM   #174
TRYM3
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurentiusrh View Post
I need bmw control unit for M Perfomance steering wheel with race display , 61352334013 -Control unit

anyone want to sell the control unit?

last month i bought the steering wheel but it missing the control unit

Hit Me up ! thanks
from my understanding that is going to be difficult to find
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2020, 10:53 AM   #175
TRYM3
Captain
Rep

use this write, I think it goes into much more detail... he also did a youtube video that was very helpful

https://www.thicf30.com/f87-m2-m-per...steering-wheel

I had 1 wire messed up and couldnt figure it out which disabled the car so I had to tow it to the dealer but IF I had this I am positive the install wouldnt have taken more then a hour and a half.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-24-2020, 01:38 PM   #176
blitzyo
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 19' M2C

My wheel displays red flashing lights when trying to turn it on, when the ambient is hot outside. It needs about 30-40 mins of air con after sunset to turn it on.

The wheel's control unit itself is hot to touch, hotter than the FEM it's sitting next to. The control unit is overheating itself and blocking the CAN signals to the display, it's passing voltage to the wheel fine.

Any ideas what could cause the control unit to overheat?

Last edited by blitzyo; 08-12-2020 at 06:16 PM..
Appreciate 0