Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

09-01-2015, 04:03 PM   #45
kitw
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F91 M8, 991.2 GT3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg FEightytwo View Post
That is exactly how i felt while driving mine on track. Off camber turns the car dives in the front and the tires squeal. I know if the sway bar can flatten that out and better tires will grip more than the turn would be less painful.
Reducing roll with sway bars is great for driver confidence, and transitional response, but they don't make the car grip better and often will actually reduce compliance in bumpy corners. The f8x has very little body roll stock.

DSC_3369 by Kit W, on Flickr
Appreciate 1
      02-28-2016, 05:21 AM   #46
bimmerboyE92
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
Old thread but at least I used search Found this post researching sway bars. My wife just took the car to a track day and didn't like the roll. I explained that roll helped this car to grip better. But as a novice, confidence in a car is more important than lap times at this point. So I may out a bigger bar in the front until she starts to complain about push and lack of grip. For you guys driving in advanced, ultimate grip is what you are looking for your. But a s a novice, confidence and letting the car feel the way you like is not necessarily a bad thing.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2016, 08:49 AM   #47
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerboyE92 View Post
Old thread but at least I used search Found this post researching sway bars. My wife just took the car to a track day and didn't like the roll. I explained that roll helped this car to grip better. But as a novice, confidence in a car is more important than lap times at this point. So I may out a bigger bar in the front until she starts to complain about push and lack of grip. For you guys driving in advanced, ultimate grip is what you are looking for your. But a s a novice, confidence and letting the car feel the way you like is not necessarily a bad thing.
Roll per se does not make the car grip less. It does make the car more predictable though as it delays the vehicle reactions to driving inputs.

IMO, anti-roll bars should be used as the final tuning element. To reduce roll, it is better to stiffen the springs (and the shocks accordingly). Too stiff of a sway-bar relative to the springs will make the car skittish over bumps when cornering, hence it can lose grip as a consequence.

It is a fine art to achieve the optimal balance between grip through suspension compliance and responsivness through Suspension firmness. What makes it more difficult is that this balance point varies with road smoothness.

Previous cars: M4cs 2019 F82 Limerock Grey / M4 2015 F82 Silverstone / M3 2008 E92 Silverstone / M3 2002 E46 Carbon Black

Last edited by CanAutM3; 03-22-2016 at 05:35 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2016, 07:55 PM   #48
bimmerboyE92
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
I kind of disagree as the sway bar in this application being the last resort. I stress this application. It's cheaper, it's a quick swap, it's reversible, it accomplishes a specific goal, and it's "non" adjustable. There are ot hat ,any different front options out there. Either put it on or take it off. Coil overs would be a whole world of adjustability in itself. And then add alignment settings.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2016, 06:39 AM   #49
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerboyE92 View Post
I kind of disagree as the sway bar in this application being the last resort. I stress this application. It's cheaper, it's a quick swap, it's reversible, it accomplishes a specific goal, and it's "non" adjustable. There are ot hat ,any different front options out there. Either put it on or take it off. Coil overs would be a whole world of adjustability in itself. And then add alignment settings.
You said it, it's a cheap way to give the impression the car performs better .

Previous cars: M4cs 2019 F82 Limerock Grey / M4 2015 F82 Silverstone / M3 2008 E92 Silverstone / M3 2002 E46 Carbon Black
Appreciate 2
      03-01-2016, 01:41 PM   #50
mcvaughan
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F87 Competition

Has anyone tried the Dinan sways?