Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

06-09-2021, 11:14 PM   #1
rezilient
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4 Cabriolet

Question about swaybar endlinks (with illustration)

I am installing MS springs on my F83 and want to stiffen the suspension for track duty for high speed cornering (it felt like a bit too much body roll on the track).

I've been reading conflicting info about swaybar endlinks on here and have been unable to find any conclusions, so hopefully this illustration will help.

If I do the front swaybar (H&R or Dinan) and springs, do I also need to do the endlinks or is that pointless?

https://pasteboard.co/K5Uh0IA.png

It seems the endlink connects to the swaybay and to the shock/damper perch (?) and I dont think that perch moves with shorter springs, since the springs sit above that perch? So why would I need to adjust the swaybar endlinks? Shouldn't the stock one work just fine since that distance hasnt moved?

Hope that makes sense, and looking forward to some insight (no flames please).
2002 M5 (sold)
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2021, 11:01 PM   #2
rezilient
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Any thoughts?
2002 M5 (sold)
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2021, 06:42 AM   #3
x.shell
▆ ✚✚   ▆▆▆▆▆▆
Rep
Drives: ▋ ▉▉

Quote:
Originally Posted by rezilient View Post
I am installing MS springs on my F83 and want to stiffen the suspension for track duty for high speed cornering (it felt like a bit too much body roll on the track).

I've been reading conflicting info about swaybar endlinks on here and have been unable to find any conclusions, so hopefully this illustration will help.

If I do the front swaybar (H&R or Dinan) and springs, do I also need to do the endlinks or is that pointless?

[IMG]https://pasteboard.co/K5Uh0IA.png[/IMG]

It seems the endlink connects to the swaybay and to the shock/damper perch (?) and I dont think that perch moves with shorter springs, since the springs sit above that perch? So why would I need to adjust the swaybar endlinks? Shouldn't the stock one work just fine since that distance hasnt moved?

You don't have the entire picture of where the mounting points of a sway bar are. The sway bar is mounted to the subframe of the car and is affected by ride height and body roll. The end-links attach to the shock body and the ends of the sway bar. The position of the end-link attachment determines the torsional position of the sway bar.

Basically, if the only mounting points were the shocks, the sway bars would do absolutely nothing. It would also just swing down and scrape the floor.

The point of adjustable end-links is to adjust the length of the end-link to meet the swaybar's repositioned zero (if you lowered or raised the car). Neutral at static ride height is ideal, but you can adjust the preload depending upon your application needs.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2021, 12:45 AM   #4
rezilient
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by x.shell View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by rezilient View Post

[IMG]https://pasteboard.co/K5Uh0IA.png[/IMG]

You don't have the entire picture of where the mounting points of a sway bar are. The sway bar is mounted to the subframe of the car and is affected by ride height and body roll. The end-links attach to the shock body and the ends of the sway bar. The position of the end-link attachment determines the torsional position of the sway bar.

Basically, if the only mounting points were the shocks, the sway bars would do absolutely nothing. It would also just swing down and scrape the floor.

The point of adjustable end-links is to adjust the length of the end-link to meet the swaybar's repositioned zero (if you lowered or raised the car). Neutral at static ride height is ideal, but you can adjust the preload depending upon your application needs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by x.shell View Post
Neutral at static ride height is ideal, but you can adjust the preload depending upon your application needs.
Sorry, to clarify do the stock endlinks cause preload and adjustable endlinks would reduce that tension? What is the real world impact of this preload? Thanks.
2002 M5 (sold)
Appreciate 0