Coby Wheel
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M4 GTS Discussions

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      08-01-2017, 09:25 AM   #1
jeff@autocouture
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
jeff@autocouture's Avatar
825
Rep
13,727
Posts


Drives: 81 VW Caddy - 02 Audi S6 Avant
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: New Jersey

iTrader: (0)

Suspension Settings

Hey guys,

I'm curious to see where people are running their settings, especially what cars being tracked are set to.

Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2017, 11:48 AM   #2
schnell325
Bored at work....
schnell325's Avatar
Canada
730
Rep
5,143
Posts

Drives: 2015 F80 M3//2016 F82 M4 GTS
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Comox Valley

iTrader: (8)

Name:  IMG_7198.PNG
Views: 2143
Size:  1.03 MB

Track height on the coilovers. And this marking on the Ground Control front camber plates. No alignment specs as of yet. VCP I believe ran a tad more negative camber than I did on Sunday.

From rough estimates, mine was ~ one degree more negative than a stock GTS.
__________________
Grey Matter:2008 E92 M3:608/425. SG/PS SOLD!
Dark Matter:2015 F80 M3:495/505. AB/CB
Anti Matter :2016 F82 M4 GTS --- IT IS HERE!!!
Appreciate 3
VCP1330.50
KKSigs354.50
Lil-M0.00

      08-01-2017, 12:09 PM   #3
BarryB
Lieutenant Colonel
BarryB's Avatar
United_States
642
Rep
1,605
Posts

Drives: 30Jahre M5 plus a few more M's
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Palo Alto CA

iTrader: (0)

Bmw recommended height and rebound /dampening settings for the track i.e. Low and hard....( lowest height setting and can't remember how many clicks for the others - dealer did it for me)
__________________
F10 30 Jahre M5/F80 30 Jahre M3
F82 M4 GTS/ E39 S3 M5
E36 M3 with S54 Swap/G20 M340i xdrive
F85 X5M /03 Cooper S (Maxi Tuned 50bhp)
60 Impala (43k orig mi) 991.1 Turbo S
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2017, 12:29 PM   #4
jeff@autocouture
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
jeff@autocouture's Avatar
825
Rep
13,727
Posts


Drives: 81 VW Caddy - 02 Audi S6 Avant
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: New Jersey

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by schnell325 View Post
Attachment 1667487

Track height on the coilovers. And this marking on the Ground Control front camber plates. No alignment specs as of yet. VCP I believe ran a tad more negative camber than I did on Sunday.

From rough estimates, mine was ~ one degree more negative than a stock
.

im not worried about the the alignment setting as much...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryB View Post
Bmw recommended height and rebound /dampening settings for the track i.e. Low and hard....( lowest height setting and can't remember how many clicks for the others - dealer did it for me)
i changed it myself and for some reason the car feels worse then it did in the street setting, unless i messed it up i will check again

thats why im asking what everyone else is running, leaving for track setting or has anyone been playing with it themselves
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2017, 12:32 PM   #5
schnell325
Bored at work....
schnell325's Avatar
Canada
730
Rep
5,143
Posts

Drives: 2015 F80 M3//2016 F82 M4 GTS
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Comox Valley

iTrader: (8)

Ah. Got yah.

Kept all other settings factory ✔️✔️
__________________
Grey Matter:2008 E92 M3:608/425. SG/PS SOLD!
Dark Matter:2015 F80 M3:495/505. AB/CB
Anti Matter :2016 F82 M4 GTS --- IT IS HERE!!!
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2017, 12:33 PM   #6
jeff@autocouture
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
jeff@autocouture's Avatar
825
Rep
13,727
Posts


Drives: 81 VW Caddy - 02 Audi S6 Avant
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: New Jersey

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by schnell325 View Post
Ah. Got yah.

Kept all other settings factory ✔️✔️
interesting, did the car get stiffer?
Appreciate 2
VCP1330.50
cracing21.50

      08-01-2017, 12:43 PM   #7
schnell325
Bored at work....
schnell325's Avatar
Canada
730
Rep
5,143
Posts

Drives: 2015 F80 M3//2016 F82 M4 GTS
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Comox Valley

iTrader: (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex@AUTOcouture View Post
interesting, did the car get stiffer?

From street to track, it did feel stiffer by my accounts
__________________
Grey Matter:2008 E92 M3:608/425. SG/PS SOLD!
Dark Matter:2015 F80 M3:495/505. AB/CB
Anti Matter :2016 F82 M4 GTS --- IT IS HERE!!!
Appreciate 1
VCP1330.50

      08-01-2017, 12:45 PM   #8
VCP
Colonel
VCP's Avatar
Canada
1331
Rep
2,326
Posts

Drives: M4GTS BSM/F90comp/BSM M2CS
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Canada

iTrader: (0)

I did stay at stock Camber for initial run at www.area27.ca. Wanted to see how that was on the track. It was very close I feel. I don't think I would add more than .5 for that track.

Quote:
Originally Posted by schnell325 View Post
Attachment 1667487

Track height on the coilovers. And this marking on the Ground Control front camber plates. No alignment specs as of yet. VCP I believe ran a tad more negative camber than I did on Sunday.

From rough estimates, mine was ~ one degree more negative than a stock GTS.
Barry, here is where I ended up after playing with it for 2 sessions. So a little softer on high speed comp. Ran a 2:24:33 and the track record is 2:09:77 set by Viper ACR and pro driver. It was 40C that day and the GTS kept its cool very well. Anyway, I have it really dialed for this track and to get the max out of it race tyres will be the key. It is a 3.1 mile long course and very technical.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryB View Post
Bmw recommended height and rebound /dampening settings for the track i.e. Low and hard....( lowest height setting and can't remember how many clicks for the others - dealer did it for me)
Attached Images
 
Appreciate 1
Mlyfe1.50

      08-01-2017, 12:59 PM   #9
VCP
Colonel
VCP's Avatar
Canada
1331
Rep
2,326
Posts

Drives: M4GTS BSM/F90comp/BSM M2CS
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Canada

iTrader: (0)

Technically the manual has 2 "track" settings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex@AUTOcouture View Post

thats why im asking what everyone else is running, leaving for track setting or has anyone been playing with it themselves
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2017, 01:10 PM   #10
jeff@autocouture
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
jeff@autocouture's Avatar
825
Rep
13,727
Posts


Drives: 81 VW Caddy - 02 Audi S6 Avant
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: New Jersey

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCP View Post
Technically the manual has 2 "track" settings.
Correct, ill keep playing with these thanks everyone so far!
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2017, 01:17 PM   #11
VCP
Colonel
VCP's Avatar
Canada
1331
Rep
2,326
Posts

Drives: M4GTS BSM/F90comp/BSM M2CS
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Canada

iTrader: (0)

I have given my thoughts on this before. Everyone may have a different setting at end of day. Driving style and track condition are the obstacles to overcome here. This is the beauty of having the infinite adjustability we all have. We need to share our findings but will most likely all end up a bit different. Hopefully we all end up with one similarity, FAST LAPS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex@AUTOcouture View Post
Correct, ill keep playing with these thanks everyone so far!
Appreciate 1
redrumm3350.00

      08-01-2017, 01:27 PM   #12
jeff@autocouture
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
jeff@autocouture's Avatar
825
Rep
13,727
Posts


Drives: 81 VW Caddy - 02 Audi S6 Avant
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: New Jersey

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCP View Post
I have given my thoughts on this before. Everyone may have a different setting at end of day. Driving style and track condition are the obstacles to overcome here. This is the beauty of having the infinite adjustability we all have. We need to share our findings but will most likely all end up a bit different. Hopefully we all end up with one similarity, FAST LAPS!
Absolutely, thats why im asking
Appreciate 1
VCP1330.50

      08-01-2017, 01:34 PM   #13
VCP
Colonel
VCP's Avatar
Canada
1331
Rep
2,326
Posts

Drives: M4GTS BSM/F90comp/BSM M2CS
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Canada

iTrader: (0)



Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex@AUTOcouture View Post
Absolutely, thats why im asking
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2017, 02:51 PM   #14
TT1351
Captain
TT1351's Avatar
431
Rep
903
Posts

Drives: 135I, M3 LTW, GTS, E30 M3+
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Massachusetts

iTrader: (1)

Any info on if lowering the car affects toe? I suspect it might, but I don't know for certain.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2017, 08:56 PM   #15
johnr265
Second Lieutenant
172
Rep
230
Posts

Drives: 1M
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: East Coast

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TT1351 View Post
Any info on if lowering the car affects toe? I suspect it might, but I don't know for certain.
Looking back at my alignment sheet, for front toe

Stock Toe L/R (in degrees)
.06/.22

Adjusted toe, stock height with driver
.08/.09

Lowered with driver, no adjustments made:
.06/.04

so toe in front does change slightly. In the rear, toe did not change appreciably when going from stock to track setting.

Car goes in this week for Ground Control camber plates and I plan to realign accordingly. If anyone has any specific updates as to starting points, I would really appreciate it.
Appreciate 1
VCP1330.50

      09-05-2017, 09:21 AM   #16
schnell325
Bored at work....
schnell325's Avatar
Canada
730
Rep
5,143
Posts

Drives: 2015 F80 M3//2016 F82 M4 GTS
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Comox Valley

iTrader: (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnr265 View Post
Looking back at my alignment sheet, for front toe

Stock Toe L/R (in degrees)
.06/.22

Adjusted toe, stock height with driver
.08/.09

Lowered with driver, no adjustments made:
.06/.04

so toe in front does change slightly. In the rear, toe did not change appreciably when going from stock to track setting.

Car goes in this week for Ground Control camber plates and I plan to realign accordingly. If anyone has any specific updates as to starting points, I would really appreciate it.

I'm on holidays right now, will pm you back when I can ✔️✔️
__________________
Grey Matter:2008 E92 M3:608/425. SG/PS SOLD!
Dark Matter:2015 F80 M3:495/505. AB/CB
Anti Matter :2016 F82 M4 GTS --- IT IS HERE!!!
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2018, 12:36 AM   #17
BMW9
Second Lieutenant
United_States
50
Rep
234
Posts

Drives: BMW M4 / Nissan GTR
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Los Angeles

iTrader: (0)

Anyone has lap times on the same track with street vs track (either of the two settings for track) settings?
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2018, 07:59 PM   #18
Drew@Sonic MS
Captain
Drew@Sonic MS's Avatar
324
Rep
624
Posts

Drives: F80 M3
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: San Jose

iTrader: (1)

I'd highly suggest changing out the stock springs on the KWs to some different rate Swifts. We've done that to 3 GTS' so far and all 3 owners were much happier after. Plus, you can lower the car a bit more without having to permanently modify the KWs.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2018, 10:07 PM   #19
delfunk
Private First Class
30
Rep
110
Posts

Drives: 2016 M4 GTS
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Sacramento, CA

iTrader: (0)

I have mine on the factory race setting and it is great for just cruising around.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2018, 11:23 PM   #20
schnell325
Bored at work....
schnell325's Avatar
Canada
730
Rep
5,143
Posts

Drives: 2015 F80 M3//2016 F82 M4 GTS
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Comox Valley

iTrader: (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew@Sonic MS View Post
I'd highly suggest changing out the stock springs on the KWs to some different rate Swifts. We've done that to 3 GTS' so far and all 3 owners were much happier after. Plus, you can lower the car a bit more without having to permanently modify the KWs.


What rates were used?
__________________
Grey Matter:2008 E92 M3:608/425. SG/PS SOLD!
Dark Matter:2015 F80 M3:495/505. AB/CB
Anti Matter :2016 F82 M4 GTS --- IT IS HERE!!!
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2018, 10:14 AM   #21
delfunk
Private First Class
30
Rep
110
Posts

Drives: 2016 M4 GTS
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Sacramento, CA

iTrader: (0)

I'm not sure the shop did it for me. He said he matched the factory race settings.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2021, 06:26 PM   #22
Sh4d0w
Private First Class
51
Rep
122
Posts

Drives: M4 GTS
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Austin, TX

iTrader: (0)

Please excuse me from reviving this, but I'd be curious to learn about everyone's compression/rebound setups for street/track.

Unfortunately I haven't had enough track time with the car to really dial in the compression/rebound at this point, but I'd be curious if anyone has actually softened up the suspension for street/weekend driving. It's funny some moments, I'm blow away by the stock setup (usually when the pavement is smooth), but in other instances, I feel like the mid corner bumps the car skips a little too much for my liking. Granted this is my first rodeo with 3 way adjustable suspension, and I feel like I could use a proper lesson on rebound and compression...Anyways would really be curious to learn about everyone's setup if you'd be open to sharing.

Right now I just have it set to the "stock" settings:
Rebound clicks: 6 (F), 7 (R)
Low speed compression clicks: 3 (F), 2 (R)
High speed compression clicks: 6 (F), 7 (R)

As a side note, I just added SPL parts to the car, and I've really enjoyed the new alignment:
-2.2 (F)/ -1.7 (R) Camber
0 (F)/ .29 (R) degrees Toe
8.4 degrees Caster
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:56 PM.




f80post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST