Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3/M4 versus...

06-14-2021, 04:21 PM   #8383
Arcades
In The Rain
Rep
Drives: '24 GT4RS, '24 Macan GTS

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by minn19 View Post
That's interesting, it's been a couple of years since I had the my M4CS with MP-HAS, I do remember being surprised how well it rode. I still don't find my SPASM Cayman being harsh/jarring etc compared to it or any of my previous cars. I've read that the Caymans in general ride more taught than 911s. I realize this is a obvious generalization as there are so many different configurations. The main complaint I've heard about most 911s, especially 992s is that they are too soft/GT like. The only recent 911 I drove was the previous gen 911T with SPASM. That thing felt almost exactly like my GTS 4.0.

It has been a long time though and you definitely have a lot more history with that setup/platform than I did. Maybe your thoughts will change a little after both you and the car have more miles together.
Well that is the thing though, for Sedan he has to basically ride/drive the car to see if he needs it or not.

I was in a 718 GT4 and personally the ride quality for the car beats out any stock car from BMW. In fact, for me it feels close to how my KW DDC feels on my M3 currently on Sport setting. For me, it isn't jarring or uncomfortable.

Most online complain about the 992 ride because they are used to harsher suspension and ride. I don't personally think there is a wrong answer to what Sedan is wondering about but it would depend on how much he is willing to put into the car price wise and if he is going to keep the car long term. I am the type that, if I don't tend to change my suspension very often, then I avoid throwing too much... options into it. That's where I got with BMW. I like having the option to change of course but I am also lazy and just don't wana. If BMW did their suspension setup correctly, I wouldn't have to constantly play with it all the damn time.

I have left our Macan GTS on Sport suspension setting on the PASM and stopped touching it. Occasionally dropping it to drive like a sedan.
minn1913970.00
      06-14-2021, 04:31 PM   #8384
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcades View Post
Quote:
That's interesting, it's been a couple of years since I had the my M4CS with MP-HAS, I do remember being surprised how well it rode. I still don't find my SPASM Cayman being harsh/jarring etc compared to it or any of my previous cars. I've read that the Caymans in general ride more taught than 911s. I realize this is a obvious generalization as there are so many different configurations. The main complaint I've heard about most 911s, especially 992s is that they are too soft/GT like. The only recent 911 I drove was the previous gen 911T with SPASM. That thing felt almost exactly like my GTS 4.0.

It has been a long time though and you definitely have a lot more history with that setup/platform than I did. Maybe your thoughts will change a little after both you and the car have more miles together.
Well that is the thing though, for Sedan he has to basically ride/drive the car to see if he needs it or not.

I was in a 718 GT4 and personally the ride quality for the car beats out any stock car from BMW. In fact, for me it feels close to how my KW DDC feels on my M3 currently on Sport setting. For me, it isn't jarring or uncomfortable.

Most online complain about the 992 ride because they are used to harsher suspension and ride. I don't personally think there is a wrong answer to what Sedan is wondering about but it would depend on how much he is willing to put into the car price wise and if he is going to keep the car long term. I am the type that, if I don't tend to change my suspension very often, then I avoid throwing too much... options into it. That's where I got with BMW. I like having the option to change of course but I am also lazy and just don't wana. If BMW did their suspension setup correctly, I wouldn't have to constantly play with it all the damn time.

I have left our Macan GTS on Sport suspension setting on the PASM and stopped touching it. Occasionally dropping it to drive like a sedan.
I am almost at a point where I'm just going to leave SPASM optioned on my car and let the chips fall where they may. Chances are that I won't be able to drive (m)any cars between now and December, so I'll never really know if SPASM was needed or not. I suppose when it comes to Porsche options, $1000 isn't really enough to make a difference one way or the other, but $1000 plus labor could be a HAS kit.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2021, 04:44 PM   #8385
Arcades
In The Rain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
I am almost at a point where I'm just going to leave SPASM optioned on my car and let the chips fall where they may. Chances are that I won't be able to drive (m)any cars between now and December, so I'll never really know if SPASM was needed or not. I suppose when it comes to Porsche options, $1000 isn't really enough to make a difference one way or the other, but $1000 plus labor could be a HAS kit.
I think it does depend if you are super picky about it.

So long as the car has PASM or SPASM you should be fine mainly because, compared to the stock steel shocks, PASM/SPASM is better in every way. Now... if you are doing it for the light drop than... maybe? I personally avoid doing any major modding for Porsche cars just because I don't like messing with cars like this. They aren't Civics that require things.
      06-14-2021, 04:48 PM   #8386
doug_999
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M/2021 992/2023 X3

Quote:
As noted, if you are doing it for the look, that's probably a mistake. I believe it was pointed out somewhere - here or rennlist that you can't see the drop with the S-PASM on the 992. PLUS, if you are doing it for the look, ride be dammed, then you are doing it for others rather than yourself Cause you can't see the "look" while driving.

But to each his own - hopefully you can find a car to drive between now and then.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2021, 04:49 PM   #8387
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I think it does depend if you are super picky about it.

So long as the car has PASM or SPASM you should be fine mainly because, compared to the stock steel shocks, PASM/SPASM is better in every way. Now... if you are doing it for the light drop than... maybe? I personally avoid doing any major modding for Porsche cars just because I don't like messing with cars like this. They aren't Civics that require things.
Being this is my first Porsche, your statement in bold resonates with me. I don't want to tinker much, if at all. Every car that I've ever owned has been lowered on spring kits or a full coil over suspension system (…the exception being my Range Rover Sport which I sold within 30 days). My interest in SPASM is mainly for the drop and anti-roll bars.
Appreciate 1
Arcades8136.50
      06-14-2021, 04:51 PM   #8388
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug_999 View Post
Quote:
As noted, if you are doing it for the look, that's probably a mistake. I believe it was pointed out somewhere - here or rennlist that you can't see the drop with the S-PASM on the 992. PLUS, if you are doing it for the look, ride be dammed, then you are doing it for others rather than yourself Cause you can't see the "look" while driving.

But to each his own - hopefully you can find a car to drive between now and then.
I couldn't really tell the difference in person, but like I've mentioned in prior posts, there seems to be no consistency in ride height regardless of PASM/SPASM. The Lava Orange PASM car sat lower than both the Chalk Gray SPASM car and the Carmine red PASM car. <shrug>

As for the look, It's definitely for me. I like the look of a lowered car……despite only being able to appreciate it when I'm not driving it. Then again, your point could be made for anything exterior, be it paint or wheels or…..

….and are we modding/optioning cars with special paints or wheels for others or ourselves?!?! Maybe it's a mixture of both.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2021, 05:06 PM   #8389
minn19
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 24 Z06, 23 CT4VBW, 22 PFinder

Quote:

Be it Porsche or BMW, I don't find much of a difference between normal, sport and sport plus with their active suspensions. My GT350 and other Mag ride cars are the only ones I've really noticed a large comfort difference between the modes. I put the Cayman in sport for the throttle response and it shuts of the ASS/cylinder deactivation plus opens the exhaust valves. If I put it in sport plus (full SPASM mode), I don't notice much difference suspension wise. As you said though, each individual is different so hopefully he can find a SPASM car to drive.
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan24829.00
      06-14-2021, 05:10 PM   #8390
doug_999
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M/2021 992/2023 X3

Quote:
As for the look, It's definitely for me. I like the look of a lowered car……despite only being able to appreciate it when I'm not driving it. Then again, your point could be made for anything exterior, be it paint or wheels or…..
No, not at all. Unless you are talking say those silly 666 wheels on the F8x.

my point...
Your choice of wheel on the S makes no difference in terms of how the car handles/feels/rides, nor does the color of the car.

But if the S-PASM option hurts the ride quality significantly and you aren't tracking it, and you are only doing it for the "look" - the look you can't see while driving, where you will "feel" the ride quality, each and every time you drive the car, then... you are doing it for the wrong reasons.

But like I said, until you drive a car with it, you will never know.
Appreciate 2
Sedan_Clan24829.00
minn1913970.00
      06-14-2021, 06:14 PM   #8391
Arcades
In The Rain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Be it Porsche or BMW, I don't find much of a difference between normal, sport and sport plus with their active suspensions. My GT350 and other Mag ride cars are the only ones I've really noticed a large comfort difference between the modes. I put the Cayman in sport for the throttle response and it shuts of the ASS/cylinder deactivation plus opens the exhaust valves. If I put it in sport plus (full SPASM mode), I don't notice much difference suspension wise. As you said though, each individual is different so hopefully he can find a SPASM car to drive.
I am personally able to tell between the modes for my Macan GTS. In fact, it is very noticeable for me between Comfort, Sport and Sport+ for the suspension setting. It is the way the car handles bumps and bruises for the road that is how I am able to tell, not how stiff it is even though that is part of it.

Sedan_Clan if it helps, a 10mm drop is basically 1 cm and that is very little in the grand scheme of things if you think about it from a visual standpoint. 20mm is more noticeable at 2 cm but 1 cm drop isn't.
Sedan_Clan24829.00
minn1913970.00
      06-14-2021, 07:25 PM   #8392
gatorfast
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 718 Cayman

Def stick with SPASM. The 20mm drop is a must and the stance looks too high otherwise.
Appreciate 1
minn1913970.00
      06-14-2021, 07:30 PM   #8393
Arcades
In The Rain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorfast View Post
Def stick with SPASM. The 20mm drop is a must and the stance looks too high otherwise.
The SPASM drop for the 992 is at 10mm/1cm compared to the previous 991.2 at 20mm/2cm, hence Sedan's conundrum.

With the 992 looking wider and bigger the SPASM drop at 10mm isn't as big and not as noticeable.

Edit: I'll put out that there is actually a reason for this. The 991.2 didn't come with PASM as standard, so when you option for it, it will drop it 20mm/2cm. This isn't the case for the 992 as the 992 comes with PASM already equipped. What the option is, is SPASM which only drops it 10mm/1cm.

Last edited by Arcades; 06-14-2021 at 07:37 PM..
Appreciate 1
Thescout134944.00
      06-14-2021, 07:52 PM   #8394
ash4390
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: AMG GTC, X5 40i

I don't have any seat time with a 992, but on my 991.2 C4GTS, the SPASM in stiff settings can feel a bit "jiggly" on our rough roads here in Vancouver. Had the same thing with my 718 GTS. I basically kept that car in comfort settings 98% of the time, and it's what I've been doing in the 500km I've put on the 991.2 since I picked it up.

I have a track day on Thursday, so I'll flip the sport mode and see if the difference is really noticeable... that being said, I do like the extra drop. As others have said, I don't plan on really tinkering suspension wise with the car so having it from the factory (with warranty) offers some peace of mind.
Appreciate 2
Sedan_Clan24829.00
minn1913970.00
      06-14-2021, 07:54 PM   #8395
fiveohwblow
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15, E46 & M3, F82

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagon View Post
Amazing. Might as well swap it to manual if it's already been repainted & stuff.

How was the SMG on track after all the years?
Gross
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2021, 08:14 PM   #8396
gatorfast
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 718 Cayman

Quote:
Quote:
The SPASM drop for the 992 is at 10mm/1cm compared to the previous 991.2 at 20mm/2cm, hence Sedan's conundrum.

With the 992 looking wider and bigger the SPASM drop at 10mm isn't as big and not as noticeable.

Edit: I'll put out that there is actually a reason for this. The 991.2 didn't come with PASM as standard, so when you option for it, it will drop it 20mm/2cm. This isn't the case for the 992 as the 992 comes with PASM already equipped. What the option is, is SPASM which only drops it 10mm/1cm.
I wasn't aware that PASM was standard. Interesting.

Regardless, I would still get SPASM especially since Sedan said he would likely want to lower the car if he got PASM. Perhaps the 10mm reduced height would be enough for him (personally i would leave it) and if not the shocks are likely more suited to lowering springs anyway.
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan24829.00
      06-14-2021, 08:54 PM   #8397
R N M
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Garage List
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:

PASM was standard on 991.2, even on base cars.
It was optional on 991.1
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan24829.00
      06-14-2021, 09:26 PM   #8398
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I wasn't aware that PASM was standard. Interesting.

Regardless, I would still get SPASM especially since Sedan said he would likely want to lower the car if he got PASM. Perhaps the 10mm reduced height would be enough for him (personally i would leave it) and if not the shocks are likely more suited to lowering springs anyway.
Would you (..or anybody else) have an idea on how much lower the car will settle as the springs break in? I also wonder how different the damper tuning is between the PASM/SPASM shocks. I figure the Porschephiles in this thread have all of the answers.

FWIW, I have settled on leaving SPASM on my car. I'm just going to roll with it. I secured financing with my department credit union today, so I'll be foregoing establishing that relationship with Porsche Financial Services this time around. It just made more sense to stay with my credit union since my Ducati is financed through them and everything comes out of my paycheck prior to getting paid. It makes it become one of those, "out of sight, out of mind" type of scenarios. Twice a year (…summer and Christmas time) they offer this skip-a-payment option if you just want to use the money for something else. They just adjust your payoff date a month. That may come in handy should I wanna mod. <eeps>
Appreciate 2
Fugly M34908.50
minn1913970.00
      06-15-2021, 06:03 AM   #8399
FormulaMMM
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3 View Post
This weekend .
Nice!

Track performance feedback? How was the all-wheel drive? Handling balance?

And just how slow is it on corner exit?

Appreciate 1
minn1913970.00
      06-15-2021, 06:07 AM   #8400
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
Quote:
Would you (..or anybody else) have an idea on how much lower the car will settle as the springs break in? I also wonder how different the damper tuning is between the PASM/SPASM shocks. I figure the Porschephiles in this thread have all of the answers.
I’ll have to dig a little to find the Porsche tech document, but the S-PASM dampers are quite different than the standard ones. From what I recall they have a broader adjustment band in the rebound stage but less in compression, which makes sense due to the higher S-PASM spring rates.

The article also compares the 992 PASM to the 991.2 and shows how much of a leap was made. Porsche sure do their engineering homework and openly share it with owners/fans for them to geek out. I wish BMW would do the same.

EDIT: Found it :
Attached Images

Previous cars: M4cs 2019 F82 Limerock Grey / M4 2015 F82 Silverstone / M3 2008 E92 Silverstone / M3 2002 E46 Carbon Black

Last edited by CanAutM3; 06-15-2021 at 09:59 AM..
Appreciate 6
minn1913970.00
Arcades8136.50
Sedan_Clan24829.00
stein_325i25051.00
pbar1380.50
GrussGott18113.00
      06-15-2021, 09:31 AM   #8401
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by FormulaMMM View Post
Nice!

Track performance feedback? How was the all-wheel drive? Handling balance?

And just how slow is it on corner exit?
I was very impressed with the handling. The turn in is fantastic when you keep some weight on that front axle. And a slight lift will immediately tuck the nose in, it is super responsive to throttle steer. I did not push it that hard since it was still under "break-in", but exit speeds are nuts, despite short shifting at 5k and being on street tires, my corner exit speeds were faster than on my M4cs on NT01. At the pace I was driving, I could not even tell it was AWD, might be different at 10/10th.

Previous cars: M4cs 2019 F82 Limerock Grey / M4 2015 F82 Silverstone / M3 2008 E92 Silverstone / M3 2002 E46 Carbon Black

Last edited by CanAutM3; 06-15-2021 at 09:55 AM..
Appreciate 3
Sedan_Clan24829.00
minn1913970.00
FormulaMMM3662.50
      06-15-2021, 09:39 AM   #8402
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I'll have to dig a little to find the Porsche tech document, but the S-PASM dampers are quite different than the standard ones. From what I recall they have a broader adjustment band in the rebound stage but less in compression, which makes sense due to the higher S-PASM spring rates.

The article also compares the 992 PASM to the 991 and shows how much of a leap was made. Porsche sure do their engineering homework and openly share it with owners/fans for them to geek out. I wish BMW would do the same.

Thank you a ton! I'm going to read that thoroughly.

edit:

Succinct and informative. Excellent read. That answers my question(s). I guess the Sport PASM shocks - assuming what applies to the TTS SPASM also applies to the C2S SPASM - is quite different indeed.
Appreciate 1
CanAutM321104.50
      06-15-2021, 11:59 AM   #8403
Thescout13
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 F80 M3CS, %E2%80%9818 GT3

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I'll have to dig a little to find the Porsche tech document, but the S-PASM dampers are quite different than the standard ones. From what I recall they have a broader adjustment band in the rebound stage but less in compression, which makes sense due to the higher S-PASM spring rates.

The article also compares the 992 PASM to the 991 and shows how much of a leap was made. Porsche sure do their engineering homework and openly share it with owners/fans for them to geek out. I wish BMW would do the same.

edit:

Succinct and informative. Excellent read. That answers my question(s). I guess the Sport PASM shocks - assuming what applies to the TTS SPASM also applies to the C2S SPASM - is quite different indeed.
Want some good reading?

https://presskit.porsche.de/workshop...downloads.html
Wife's Prior Car: 2018 F80 M3, Yas Marina Blue, DCT, Black 19s, Carbon Structure Anthracite Cloth/Leather Combination, Driving Assistance Package (Euro Delivery Oct. 9, 2017)
Appreciate 3
Sedan_Clan24829.00
minn1913970.00
pbar1380.50
      06-15-2021, 12:01 PM   #8404
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thescout13 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

edit:

Want some good reading?

https://presskit.porsche.de/workshop...downloads.html
Appreciate 1
Thescout134944.00