Pandora Car Alarm System
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

04-18-2021, 07:43 PM   #1
65fastback
Captain
Rep
Drives: every day

tuned or accident which is worse?

I just mean generally speaking if the car looks clean and no sign of damage but Carfax shows a accident or " damage" or runs great but knowing its been previously tuned ....Which is the worse offender in your opinion if you are shopping for a F8X?

And I know I know everyone would keep looking and not buy either...I am curious what people think is a no bueno. So pick one.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2021, 08:28 PM   #2
Ropes
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4 CS

Well it all depends. If a shopping cart dinged it and you use insurance then congratulations you have an accident with the car. If you plan to tune then not really. If you don't then what kind of tune and at what level.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2021, 09:06 PM   #3
HyeM3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Edit: kind of accidentally overlooked your actual question so to answer it specifically, accident is probably worse for me

I personally don't care if a cars tuned. If it comes with like a stage 2 tune and other goodies it saves me money in the end and I look at it as a win. But if the car was making big power and over stressing the motor that would turn me off. I'd probably be fine buying a car with a stock turbo E85 tune that has the CH fix done.

If it has a ding on the carfax but there's proof of what specifically happened I'm not turned off by any minor damage as long as the deal is right. Ex: my last car the previous owner bumped someone in the parking lot with the front mounted license plate going like 5 mph and the other person immediately reported it to their insurance without giving my previous owner a chance to pay out of pocket. I saw the pictures so it was no big deal for me and the price was right so I bought the car. I know someone with an M3 who's previous owner used their insurance to replace their front lip and I wouldn't be afraid to buy that car.

Actual accidents would turn me off but if it was somewhat minor and they had to just get a new bumper and the paint was a perfect match and quality job I wouldn't mind if the price was right. My preference would obviously be a car with a clean carfax but I'm not one to automatically rule out a car if the carfax isn't perfect. If it's the right car in the spec I'm looking for and there's no other options out there then I can make an exception
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2021, 09:24 PM   #4
irunalot
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche Carrera S

Accidents beyond a ding would turn me off. Mods I couldn't care less about, unless they are extreme. I won't buy a 800WHP 9 sec 1/4 mile M3 for a daily driver. Now if I was looking for a 9sec M3 I'd consider it. I'm gonna mod so if they are tasteful and something I would do then it's a bargain and good starting point. Where accidents bother me is how was it repaired. Was it a top notch shop that did the work or the lowest bidder? That I have a huge problem with and is where "fixed" vehicles may have future issues. This goes for shady shops performing mods as well. It's not always what was done but how that is important. If a car has mods, who did it and how? If it's an accident who fixed it and how. Did they follow industry leading practices and OE parts? Because that's what I would do. 
What matters more than anything is how the car was cared for. If you know what you are looking for you can tell. Paint condition, under carriage, interior trim pieces, service records/history etc. The good cars are pretty obvious when you have seen enough.

Sometimes a fixed or modded car is a bargain. Sometimes a bone stock car is a total nightmare as it was neglected and spit polished for sale.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2021, 09:44 PM   #5
Suds
/M Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: Responsiblish

Ok, I have sold and traded in a number of tuned and highly modified cars over the last years, none with accidents. They are out there.

BMW, AUDI, Chevy. Almost like Easter Eggs.

Back in the late 70’s a good friend bought a 442 that would rev above 8krpm without valve float. We new it wasn’t stock.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2021, 10:00 PM   #6
henrylee
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 6MT

Between the two, I’d take a tune car
      04-18-2021, 10:05 PM   #7
Slowphiveo
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4 Heritage Edition

As was stated it really depends on both. A stage 2 tune with IC, charge pipe, intake, etc...is all pretty standard. Beyond that, I'd be a little wary. Same as a carfax ding for a minor repair...was it a collision or was it a shopping cart hit the door or a piece of road debris caused some damage? I'd stay away from anything that involved any type of real moving collision, but minor parking lot, fender tap, etc stuff wouldn't bother me.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2021, 10:31 PM   #8
icegrill
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3

What's the driving reason behind this question?
Appreciate 2
RickFLM410954.50
dwz99.50
      04-18-2021, 11:52 PM   #9
Multimodal
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 50i, 2018 911 T

You should look for a car that's neither unless you are planning to tune it yourself in exactly the same way that the prior owner has.

The ideal scenario for buying a pre-owned car in my opinion is a private party sale purchasing a one owner car from the original owner. Get to know that person (and don't buy it if they seem like a yobbo), get maintenance records, understand the car story. If/when you go to sell it, share the whole story.

If your budget requires you to look at the low in the market where all the cars seem to have some eccentricity, if I were in your shoes, I would prefer a minor accident over a mild tune over a moderate accident over a moderate tune. I would never buy a major accident / salvage title or a heavily modified car.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2021, 09:20 AM   #10
Slowphiveo
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4 Heritage Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Maboomba View Post
You should look for a car that's neither unless you are planning to tune it yourself in exactly the same way that the prior owner has.

The ideal scenario for buying a pre-owned car in my opinion is a private party sale purchasing a one owner car from the original owner. Get to know that person (and don't buy it if they seem like a yobbo), get maintenance records, understand the car story. If/when you go to sell it, share the whole story.

If your budget requires you to look at the low in the market where all the cars seem to have some eccentricity, if I were in your shoes, I would prefer a minor accident over a mild tune over a moderate accident over a moderate tune. I would never buy a major accident / salvage title or a heavily modified car.
I would agree that if buying a previously modified car, you buy private party and get to know the know the owner. My previous M2, I owned from new and the car was immaculate. It was ceramic coated, PPF'd, had a stage 2 Hex tune, IC, charge pipe, intake, etc. The car was never tracked, never saw rain and was garage kept. I did the tune because the N55 lacked a little mid to upper range punch, not for the purposes of hooning. I can tell you without a doubt the guy who bought that car from me got a pristine car that ran fantastic.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2021, 10:46 AM   #11
65fastback
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by icegrill View Post
What's the driving reason behind this question?

Thought it might be an interesting conversation,

lotta guys come here shopping for a used F8x and show a link to one they’re interested in but sometimes damage shows up on the Carfax, seems like people assume the worst when it comes to an accident or damage reported and recommend not buying the car.

When I was shopping I actually passed on one that had a check engine light because it had cat less downpipe‘s...Very reputable dealer that only sells exotics and high-end cars but nonetheless I had heard about the CH issue And didn’t want to chance buying a car that had possibly been tuned and no ch fix.

Most are being sold on used car lots and dealerships not private party so you’re always running a risk no matter what on a used car.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2021, 09:43 PM   #12
maddmatth
Major
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: F82 M4, E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65fastback View Post
When I was shopping I actually passed on one that had a check engine light because it had cat less downpipe‘s...Very reputable dealer that only sells exotics and high-end cars but nonetheless I had heard about the CH issue And didn’t want to chance buying a car that had possibly been tuned and no ch fix.
Don't think there's a significant risk of it failing if it hasn't failed already, you can just add a capture plate or remove the tune (the presence of the check engine light means it's probably been removed already).
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2021, 02:18 AM   #13
Humdizzle
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: GT3 + M2c

accident is worse.

but it depends. minor accident fixed by owner out of pocket and not reported to carfax is ok. if i can't see it the next person can't either. so i dont lose any money. if it is reported to carfax i walk away, rather pay extra to have a clean history so i don't have to haggle with the next buyer.

tune is a mixed bag too. depends on the tune and how aggressive it was. was this some carrie jordan e85 full send type of tune on drag radials to get the fastest possible stock turbo time at the strip.... or was this a simple bm3 stage 1 daily driver ?

2018 Porsche GT3 6MT
2021 M2C DCT
Previous: Ferrari 458 | R35 GTR | F80 M3 | E46 M3 | E36 M3 | Scion FRS
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2021, 12:30 PM   #14
65fastback
Captain
Rep

Looks like The people have spoken and the verdict is in!

Accident is worse.

The end.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2021, 07:45 PM   #15
PhatLyfe
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F83 AW/SO ZCP

I won't touch either, but between the two, I would pass on the accident.. once the chassis is Fu&*%d, the car won't ride or drive the same. the engine, the parts can be replaced.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2021, 05:40 PM   #16
deeldoo
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 - DCT 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhatLyfe View Post
I won't touch either, but between the two, I would pass on the accident.. once the chassis is Fu&*%d, the car won't ride or drive the same. the engine, the parts can be replaced.
This is the dumbest shit i ever hear, and it isn't just you, it's one of those old myths that keeps perpetuating in the car community.

You do realize when taken to a proper body shop, everything short of legit "frame damage" will be repaired like nothing was touched.
Appreciate 1
65fastback1137.00
      04-21-2021, 07:12 PM   #17
65fastback
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeldoo View Post
This is the dumbest shit i ever hear, and it isn't just you, it's one of those old myths that keeps perpetuating in the car community.

You do realize when taken to a proper body shop, everything short of legit "frame damage" will be repaired like nothing was touched.
I thought It was a odd comment as well.

Its like assuming every car that has damage on a Carfax or been in some kind of accident prolly has frame damage and un drivable afterwards These are unibody car's there is no "frame".

how about this...I'd Never buy a car that's had a tune because the crank hub is about to fail or the motor is about to explode.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2021, 09:42 PM   #18
PhatLyfe
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F83 AW/SO ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65fastback View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by deeldoo View Post

I thought It was a odd comment as well.

Its like assuming every car that has damage on a Carfax or been in some kind of accident prolly has frame damage and un drivable afterwards These are unibody car's there is no "frame".

how about this...I'd Never buy a car that's had a tune because the crank hub is about to fail or the motor is about to explode.
Both have missed the initial point I'd buy neither. But majority of the fixes are not 100% the same after a major accident. As far and crank hub, it's a rare occurrence that has happened to some people not everyone with tuned cars have had crank hub issues.

If you can afford the car, what's the big deal for a couple of grand on getting the crank hub after your purchase?
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2021, 10:34 AM   #19
65fastback
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhatLyfe View Post
Both have missed the initial point I'd buy neither. But majority of the fixes are not 100% the same after a major accident. As far and crank hub, it's a rare occurrence that has happened to some people not everyone with tuned cars have had crank hub issues.

If you can afford the car, what's the big deal for a couple of grand on getting the crank hub after your purchase?

No ...didn’t miss your point at all in fact you made it perfectly clear, you seem to have a preconceived notion that any car that’s been in any type of accident can’t be repaired properly and is permanently damaged in someway . You keep bringing up frame damage and major accident in every post, if that’s where your mind goes every time you hear about a car being in an accident so be it.

These days any decent body shop using OEM parts can put a car back together like it never happened.

As far as just getting a crank hub fix.... just realize not everybody who buys these cars wants a tune, I have a warranty on my car and plan to keep it that way probably for as long as I own it, if the car I bought had a tune on it from the previous owner my warranty is potentially voided if I run into a mechanical issue down the road.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2021, 11:02 AM   #20
RugbyBro
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

You know what I think is potentially worse than both? Improper maintenance - this is relative to the engine whether stock or modified
deeldoo1122.00
      04-22-2021, 12:40 PM   #21
deeldoo
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 - DCT 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by RugbyBro View Post
You know what I think is potentially worse than both? Improper maintenance - this is relative to the engine whether stock or modified
This.

Improper maintenance is a silent killer that will not show up early but leave you bleeding hundreds every month.

It is also one of those thing's that's hard to verify, properly especially when it comes to oil changes and break-in service.

Diff and transmission fluids, and all that.

Tunes can be removed, crankhub fixes can be added.

Accidents nowadays are repaired to perfection by the right shop.

But maintenance is individualistic and very hard to gauge. That's why i would rather take a car with 50k and every maintenance record displayed then one with 25k with 0 history
Appreciate 1
RugbyBro7600.50
      04-22-2021, 07:56 PM   #22
Ropes
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by RugbyBro View Post
Truth
Appreciate 1
RugbyBro7600.50