BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

10-05-2017, 01:19 PM   #67
kevin @ eas
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2015 BMW M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketBoots View Post
Only one version. Go ahead and order it; you'll ask yourself why you didn't do it ages ago.
Its definitely one of the best upgrades you can do for your 6 speed. The best part I think is getting the clutch pedal and brake pedal even. No more clutch sitting higher than the brake. We are a stocking distributor and will gladly match anyone. Feel free to PM me for details.

GET DAILY UPDATES ON OUR BLOG FACEBOOK YOUTUBE FLICKR INSTAGRAM
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2017, 10:49 AM   #68
ryank382
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, Z4 M Roadster

Not sure if this has been discussed already but I should be receiving mine tomorrow. Just curious about the 3 stiffness settings and what I should set it to. For example is the middle setting stiffer then the stock clutch? by a little or a lot? I like feeling like I a drive a racecar but do sometimes get stuck in traffic lol

Also I read that some people prefer to not have the over center spring for more feel. Any feedback on that?
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2017, 03:16 PM   #69
RocketBoots
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Horse Drawn Carriage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryank382 View Post
Not sure if this has been discussed already but I should be receiving mine tomorrow. Just curious about the 3 stiffness settings and what I should set it to. For example is the middle setting stiffer then the stock clutch? by a little or a lot? I like feeling like I a drive a racecar but do sometimes get stuck in traffic lol

Also I read that some people prefer to not have the over center spring for more feel. Any feedback on that?
If memory serves, the middle setting is a little more stiff than stock; but overall, the pedal feels more solid too, so it's hard to compare. As far as the over center spring, I think it's best to keep it. Otherwise, the pedal may wobble a bit. I believe the E9X guys did that sort of thing more often...
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2017, 05:56 PM   #70
TonySCV
Captain
Rep
Drives: '18 M2; '21 X6 M50i

Anyone else noticing issues with inconsistent rev-matching after this mod is installed as reported above?
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2017, 06:30 PM   #71
ryank382
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonySCV View Post
Anyone else noticing issues with inconsistent rev-matching after this mod is installed as reported above?
Quote:
Quote:

If memory serves, the middle setting is a little more stiff than stock; but overall, the pedal feels more solid too, so it's hard to compare. As far as the over center spring, I think it's best to keep it. Otherwise, the pedal may wobble a bit. I believe the E9X guys did that sort of thing more often...
Ok cool thanks! I?ll try out the middle setting and keep the spring

Quote:
O man dnt tell me that 1 day before I install it.. lol
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2017, 09:45 PM   #72
Lee808
Out in the middle of the sea
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

I have inconsistent rev matching with stock clutch pedal. RPMs fall so quickly and variably depending on Mode. IMO this car is very hard to rev match driving regularly. Driving it hard makes it easier but who does that 24 7. I need to get this mod. I ve gotten used it the pedal but it is still by far the weirdest engaging clutch I’ve ever used.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2017, 10:21 PM   #73
x.shell
▆ ✚✚   ▆▆▆▆▆▆
Rep
Drives: ▋ ▉▉

Quote:
Quote:

Leave the over center spring. It?s been a while, but from what I remember, it?s not too much stiffer than stock. It?s definitely more solid with less play compared to the OEM pedal. I set mine so that it?s level with the brake pedal; this was the single reason why I got it.

Quote:
I figured out that it is just a matter of depressing the pedal more. REV matching is triggered when it reaches the same stroke as OEM; which is a bit deeper with the UCP.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2017, 06:45 AM   #74
gatorfast
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 718 Cayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee808 View Post
I have inconsistent rev matching with stock clutch pedal. RPMs fall so quickly and variably depending on Mode. IMO this car is very hard to rev match driving regularly. Driving it hard makes it easier but who does that 24 7. I need to get this mod. I ve gotten used it the pedal but it is still by far the weirdest engaging clutch I’ve ever used.
I think the question was about the auto rev matching available in efficient and sport mode and not about the drivers ability to rev match. As to your point about the rpms falling quicker in certain modes, they will fall quicker in sport+ because auto rev matching is disabled in that mode (thus the car does not momentarily suspend the revs for a smooth upshift). In efficient and sport mode you should be able to perform a relaxed shift and still have it be smooth.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2017, 10:02 AM   #75
ryank382
First Lieutenant
Rep

I actually really like this mt. My car has never not auto rev-matched in efficient and sport and in sport+ u just need some practice with the revs falling fast. It takes a little more finesse if u wanna be smooth in sport+ when ur not driving aggressively but that?s what makes it fun for me. If ur not driving aggressive why are you in sport + anyway?

Looking forward to more clutch “feel” after installing UCP tonight
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2017, 09:55 PM   #76
ryank382
First Lieutenant
Rep

Just finished the install (PITA). First thing I notice is it doesn't go back to resting position as fast. Is that normal? Like if I pull my foot off the clutch it takes way longer then normal to go back to engaged from disengaged position.

Edit: just went for a quick drive and this is DEF not normal. Stalled twice back to back because the pedal doesn't move back at the same time as my foot.

My shifting is not very smooth as a result of this and the clutch stop feels very soft and mushy. Unfortunately when I pulled the OEM clutch stop out it literally flew out and disappeared.

Slightly aggressive driving the clutch stays stuck then snaps back to engaged position when I'm shifting. Really not happy about this after I just spent the last 2 hours with my head in the footwell. I must have done something wrong. Maybe I tightened some nuts too tight?
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2017, 03:19 PM   #77
ryank382
First Lieutenant
Rep

Fixed the issue by removing both over center springs completely. Car was not drive able otherwise. I dnt see how anyone can be pleased with this product by retaining those springs. Well this was quite a pita for me
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2018, 12:45 AM   #78
seis-speed
#savethemanuals
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M | GT3 | J392 | GRc

For some reason when I drive my M2 my left knee can get sore. Not all the time, but I actually want a lighter clutch as it feels a lot heavier than my F80 (could be seating position).... could this mod make a clutch lighter, or change the angle of the clutch to put less pressure on a knee?
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2018, 02:27 PM   #79
RocketBoots
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by seis-speed View Post
For some reason when I drive my M2 my left knee can get sore. Not all the time, but I actually want a lighter clutch as it feels a lot heavier than my F80 (could be seating position).... could this mod make a clutch lighter, or change the angle of the clutch to put less pressure on a knee?
The spring has 3 settings. One is more stiff that stock, one is about the same, and the third may be softer than stock. I always had it on the middle one, so I'm not 100% sure. The clutch position is also a bit lower. All of these things could may or may not help with your knee...
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2018, 03:13 PM   #80
seis-speed
#savethemanuals
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M | GT3 | J392 | GRc

Quote:
The spring has 3 settings. One is more stiff that stock, one is about the same, and the third may be softer than stock. I always had it on the middle one, so I'm not 100% sure. The clutch position is also a bit lower. All of these things could may or may not help with your knee...
Thanks for reply.

In driving today I notice in the M2 I am sitting so much higher than in the F80. It might be that (seating position) more than the actual clutch, although my F80 is a 2015 and the clutch feels lighter to me, possibly due to heavy use?

Cool mod, appreciated reading this thread
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2019, 03:30 PM   #81
Grimlock85
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: m3 / 135i

Am I the only one that's finding the removal of the plastic pivot push pin to be impossible, I'm even doing the trick of using a 1/4 inch socket to press into it and it won't budge

Any tips?
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2019, 09:40 PM   #82
joshua1745
Rep
Drives: BMW F83 Porsche Macan

Same issue. Struggling with that push pin. Only 1 clearance on left bc of a control box (camera?). Any tips? I can get my fingers in the space and a small socket bit around the end of the pin but with little leverage Im finding this difficult. Im still trying to rig up something using a clamp. Otherwise Ill try to drill it out from the right side as a last resort.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2019, 07:01 AM   #83
Teufel_Hunden
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3 6MT LMB ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshua1745 View Post
Same issue. Struggling with that push pin. Only 1” clearance on left bc of a control box (camera?). Any tips? I can get my fingers in the space and a small socket bit around the end of the pin but with little leverage I’m finding this difficult. I’m still trying to rig up something using a clamp. Otherwise I’ll try to drill it out from the right side as a last resort.
Try using a 1/4 inch socket extension (3 inches long). Use the open female end and insert that side into the push pin housing. It will pinch the plastic pin and you can push it from left to right.

If you don't have the extension a deep socket will also work.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2019, 07:03 AM   #84
Teufel_Hunden
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3 6MT LMB ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimlock85 View Post
Am I the only one that's finding the removal of the plastic pivot push pin to be impossible, I'm even doing the trick of using a 1/4 inch socket to press into it and it won't budge

Any tips?
See my response above to joshua1745

Deep socket worked for me.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2019, 05:18 PM   #85
RocketBoots
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Yes, you have to use the female end of that socket extension. It's a fairly easy to do, even in that tight spot. I just installed another UCP, and did the exact same process. Some of it is by feel, but it cooperates without too much finagling.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2019, 02:59 PM   #86
joshua1745
Rep

Well I was finally able to get it off using by taping a 1" 1/4" socket wrench bit directly to the pedal with electrical tape so I can keep it in place while I get my fingers behind it. Very tight space bc I have a camera module right next to the pedal. Anyone with a backup camera should have this issue. However, now I can't slide the pedal off the bolt bc of the camera module. Looks like the camera module bracket has to come off but it appears connected from the top which is inaccessible as well as the side. Any advice?
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2019, 06:55 PM   #87
joshua1745
Rep

SUCCESS!!! That was not fun. But seems worth it. I'll give some feedback after a few days. If you have a camera system, you have NO CHOICE but to remove the bracket. If I had done this from the beginning it would have saved me much time and agony. I managed to free up the OEM clutch without doing this but there was not enough space to slide the clutch off the anchor pin.

There are multiple ways to access it without having to work from underneath. The side panel of the dash can be removed. However, I started to remove it and thought I'd have trouble getting it back in. So instead I removed the drivers side AC vent (look it up) which comes out easily even with a leather dash. From there you can pop out the headlight switch panel and then I next popped out the panel below it which in my case has the driver assist buttons. One thing to note is that those last 2 panels the tabs to release them are on top. The panels have to be removed from the top 1st and swung down since the retaining tabs on the bottom side of the panel are large. Now you can reach your hand in from multiple angles.

There is 1 T25 screw that attaches the bracket to the side of the dash that you can get to now using the supplied T25 Allen wrench (was this why that was included). Then you pull the bracket towards the steering wheel and it will pop out easily. (Look at the picture of the bracket and see how it is held in place at the top by the loop) I did not know this and initially removed the module from the bracket (it can slip out after you remove the T25 screw) after trying to push it towards the firewall from what I read on a M2 forum. Someone also mentioned they could slide off the clutch by just removing the module but I had no success with this.

Now you will have significantly more access. I'll post pics next.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2019, 08:39 PM   #88
joshua1745
Rep

Camera module bracket and attachment points
Attached Images

Appreciate 0