Mo Reviews
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

11-03-2021, 07:46 PM   #155
ALCOBENDAS
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3 F82

Punch i use 3 but big turbos 900 reduction
Appreciate 1
      11-04-2021, 12:41 AM   #156
hellokitty
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M3 ZCP DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanDCT View Post
I'm Stage 2 BM3 with Stage 3 xhp running 750 in Torque Reduction and 5 in Torque Punch.

The punch can feel a little much at times, but I think I like it more than 4. Curious to see to see what others are running for Toque Reduction and Punch…
Cary Jordan E85 tune with torque punch 3 and torque reduction 700.
2017 F80 M3 ZCP / AA GESI DPs / Akrapovic Evo / BBS FI-R 19" / Bend Calibration ECUTEK Flex Fuel | Bilstein B16 DDC + CS EDC / BMC Filters / BMS OCC / CSF HE / ESS CP / Nitto NT555R2 / PD Crank Hub / SPL Suspension / Uniden R7 / Wagner Top Mount IC

2021 Mini GP3 / BMC Filters / BM3 / Cary Jordan E30 / Wagner IC / Remus Race
Appreciate 1
      11-06-2021, 07:57 AM   #157
BajanDCT
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellokitty View Post
Seems like a low torque reduction for the kind of power an E85 tune would have. Is there a subjective (way it feels to you) reason for this? I am wondering what the difference is in low vs high toque reduction feeling-wise. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2021, 08:05 AM   #158
hellokitty
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Seems like a low torque reduction for the kind of power an E85 tune would have. Is there a subjective (way it feels to you) reason for this? I am wondering what the difference is in low vs high toque reduction feeling-wise. Thanks!
Anything higher results in a spongy shift for me (ie it's slower to engage the next gear up).
2017 F80 M3 ZCP / AA GESI DPs / Akrapovic Evo / BBS FI-R 19" / Bend Calibration ECUTEK Flex Fuel | Bilstein B16 DDC + CS EDC / BMC Filters / BMS OCC / CSF HE / ESS CP / Nitto NT555R2 / PD Crank Hub / SPL Suspension / Uniden R7 / Wagner Top Mount IC

Appreciate 1
      11-06-2021, 11:09 AM   #159
andrei.m4
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: bmw f82

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterbottle1 View Post
i wonder if this gets rid of the jerk from 3rd to 2nd gear ? ?
I was same as you, your clutches have wear. Not slip because still enough friction material in full pressure it keep but is too much space in the basket because of the wear. Only new clutch pack solved my problem.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2021, 01:36 PM   #160
Marrow
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 comp & E46 M3 vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrei.m4 View Post
Quote:
I was same as you, your clutches have wear. Not slip because still enough friction material in full pressure it keep but is too much space in the basket because of the wear. Only new clutch pack solved my problem.
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrei.m4 View Post
Quote:
Well mines on 20k miles and still has the 3rd to 2nd jerk I very much doubt it needs new clutches !

Seems to be an s55 dct issue hence people looking for a remap to fix the problem
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2021, 02:16 PM   #161
slaughter.mode
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Competition

Garage List
2018 BMW M4 ZCP  [9.80]
Quote:
I'm Stage 2 BM3 with Stage 3 xhp running 750 in Torque Reduction and 5 in Torque Punch.

The punch can feel a little much at times, but I think I like it more than 4. Curious to see to see what others are running for Toque Reduction and Punch…
I put punch to 1, running Stage 2. ~700whp
      11-07-2021, 10:10 PM   #162
waterbottle1
Major
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marrow View Post
Well mines on 20k miles and still has the 3rd to 2nd jerk I very much doubt it needs new clutches !

Seems to be an s55 dct issue hence people looking for a remap to fix the problem
20k is too low indeed,

My jerk will be from 3rd gear coming down to 2nd at exactly 1000rpm, makes it absolutely worse if your holding brakes too.
now i let it just let off brakes at around that 1k rpm mark to avoid the jerk.

it be nice to remap that and let the car automatically revmatch at about 1500rpm to avoid jerk
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2021, 04:58 AM   #163
Motown65
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 18 M4

I've down a decent bit of XHP testing and probably annoying the hell out of the guys there to understand how everything works. I think you guys are doing this all backwards. my thoughts are you dont want to remove all the torque with the torque reduction. I have ps2+ and mines at 300 with punch at 5. Ive been testing using launch control and any more reduction or less punch resulted in a crappy 1-2 shift. Felt like someone held the clutch in killing my acceleration times. I can tell you more saturday after im at a real 1/4 mile track.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2021, 12:24 PM   #164
hellokitty
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motown65 View Post
I've down a decent bit of XHP testing and probably annoying the hell out of the guys there to understand how everything works. I think you guys are doing this all backwards. my thoughts are you dont want to remove all the torque with the torque reduction. I have ps2+ and mines at 300 with punch at 5. Ive been testing using launch control and any more reduction or less punch resulted in a crappy 1-2 shift. Felt like someone held the clutch in killing my acceleration times. I can tell you more saturday after im at a real 1/4 mile track.
It sounds like you might be right!

This function lets you setup how much torque reduction the gearbox is requesting from the engine during upshifts. Just like with a manual, where the driver presses the clutch while releasing the throttle, the automatic transmission sends a request to your vehicles engine to lower torque while it's shifting from one gear to another. Lowering the amount of torque reduction can reduce turbo lag after shifts, especially in the lower gears. The opposite, raising the torque reduction, can produce faster/crisper shifts.

The main purpose of this function is to fine tune your shifts to your current engine setup, as every aftermarket component or tune slighty alters the behavior of the engine during shifts. Tuned cars with big turbos may need general less reduction, than ones with stock turbos. If you experience a bit of "lag" on a certain shift, you can also try to lower the torque intervention by a few % until it starts to smooth out.

Reducing the amount of torque pulled during a shift puts more load on your clutches and stretches the shift-time a bit, so just minimizing all values won't do the trick. Users are advised to use this function with care. It's not dangerous to play around with it, just to feel the effects, but you have to be aware that lowering torque reduction substantially (e.g. -25%) over extended periods will increase load on the clutches and will reduce their lifetime.

Appreciate 1
      11-09-2021, 07:06 PM   #165
Motown65
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:

This function lets you setup how much torque reduction the gearbox is requesting from the engine during upshifts. Just like with a manual, where the driver presses the clutch while releasing the throttle, the automatic transmission sends a request to your vehicles engine to lower torque while it's shifting from one gear to another. Lowering the amount of torque reduction can reduce turbo lag after shifts, especially in the lower gears. The opposite, raising the torque reduction, can produce faster/crisper shifts.

The main purpose of this function is to fine tune your shifts to your current engine setup, as every aftermarket component or tune slighty alters the behavior of the engine during shifts. Tuned cars with big turbos may need general less reduction, than ones with stock turbos. If you experience a bit of "lag" on a certain shift, you can also try to lower the torque intervention by a few % until it starts to smooth out.

Reducing the amount of torque pulled during a shift puts more load on your clutches and stretches the shift-time a bit, so just minimizing all values won't do the trick. Users are advised to use this function with care. It's not dangerous to play around with it, just to feel the effects, but you have to be aware that lowering torque reduction substantially (e.g. -25%) over extended periods will increase load on the clutches and will reduce their lifetime.
Did you just copy that off their FAQ? lol. The drag modes on the other trans missions makes torque reduction 0 for best 0-60.
      11-09-2021, 07:37 PM   #166
hellokitty
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Did you just copy that off their FAQ? lol. The drag modes on the other trans missions makes torque reduction 0 for best 0-60.
I turned off torque reduction and torque punch and it seems to be feeling fine on my flex fuel tune at around E40.

I will report back if I notice any problems with higher ethanol levels.

Appreciate 0
      11-09-2021, 07:41 PM   #167
Motown65
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
I turned off torque reduction and torque punch and it seems to be feeling fine on my flex fuel tune at around E40.

I will report back if I notice any problems with higher ethanol levels.
if you turned the modes off it goes to defaults which i believe are 300 and 5
      11-11-2021, 09:38 AM   #168
hellokitty
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
if you turned the modes off it goes to defaults which i believe are 300 and 5
Turning both off and going back to defaults feel pretty good to me right now on 55% ethanol.

I am planning to leave it this way.

Appreciate 0
      11-11-2021, 07:00 PM   #169
maniacM4
Rep
Drives: 2015 m4

had this flash done with the spec R clutches cant wait to see how it performs in the 1/4
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2021, 02:18 PM   #170
slaughter.mode
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Competition

Garage List
2018 BMW M4 ZCP  [9.80]
Some really strange behavior with XHP stage 2 (torque punch set to 1 and traffic mode enabled). I was in S2 and just driving home, slowly. After shifting 3rd > 4th the engine did this high rev for about 2 seconds (felt like forever) and then continued on. It's like it slipped, horribly but the tach didn't move at all. I have 94K miles, haven't touched the transmission (fluids) other than what the dealer has done.

Flashed to XHP stage 1 (all default settings) and it's back to normal. That really creeped me out.
      11-17-2021, 11:50 PM   #171
Motown65
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by maniacM4 View Post
had this flash done with the spec R clutches cant wait to see how it performs in the 1/4
you racing anytime soon?
      11-17-2021, 11:51 PM   #172
Motown65
Private First Class
Rep

Anyone experiment with the initial torque and torque after launch control parameters?
      11-18-2021, 08:33 AM   #173
TopJimmy
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 Comp xDrive

Quote:
Anyone experiment with the initial torque and torque after launch control parameters?
Yes, and I have drag tires so i have to tweak for best hookup.

Set initial launch to 3500RPM.

For street tires go with the XHP recommended stock settings for DS (15), TI (7) and TAS (0). If you get too much spin back off the DS and TI by 5 (10, 2, 0). You should feel a little spin in first gear, but second gear and up should be no slip. Leave TAS alone.

If you get any wheelspin at the top of a gear use BM3 TQ Reduction to bring power on that gear down a little. Sometimes my top of 3rd spins a little if the track prep is worn out.
      11-27-2021, 09:33 PM   #174
Motown65
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopJimmy View Post

For street tires go with the XHP recommended stock settings for DS (15), TI (7) and TAS (0). If you get too much spin back off the DS and TI by 5 (10, 2, 0). You should feel a little spin in first gear, but second gear and up should be no slip. Leave TAS alone.

If you get any wheelspin at the top of a gear use BM3 TQ Reduction to bring power on that gear down a little. Sometimes my top of 3rd spins a little if the track prep is worn out.
im running 305 mt et ss. What tire and settings do you actually run?
      11-28-2021, 05:22 AM   #175
TopJimmy
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 Comp xDrive

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TopJimmy View Post

im running 305 mt et ss. What tire and settings do you actually run?
Hoosier 315/30/18 on Apex 11" at 25PSI.
Water box roll and foot-brake burnout.
The 15/7/0 settings work best so far…
      11-28-2021, 05:28 PM   #176
M2_MEDUSA
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2 Comp. SpecialEdition

Can anyone confirm if 06/2020+ Model cars have any issues with flashing xHP? They confirmed no but who know how support is. Sometimes they don’t know everything
Appreciate 0