Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > Regional Forums > USA - NY / NJ / CT / PA

06-20-2020, 02:16 AM   #1
llvsixaxisvll
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M4 6MT

In Old City, Philly. Happened on Thursday, the 18th @ 2 AM in corner of Woods and Randolph.

Walked out to car tonight to find 437m wheel were stolen, (had no wheel locks). According to dash cam footage they were in and out within 5 mins. Saw the other posts about people not having any wheel locks and their wheels getting stolen, and was so close to buying them last week. I should have, maybe would have thwarted them, and now feeling shitty. Wish I was local enough to be keeping an eye out of craigslist / letgo, as they're faces are fairly clear. Was a third guy too.

Any recommendations in North NJ to get bodywork done? Side skirts are damaged, rotor seems to be alright for now, but front bumper is also damaged.

Also, anyone have other recommendations on where else/how I should check for damage or any possible issues down the road? Plan to visually inspect underside. And front rotors seem to be okay when driving (drove on spare skinny winter set).

Already called local cops, made a police report over the phone. Plan to start an insurance claim in the AM. (Anyone have any thoughts on the best way for me to go about this process?)

Thanks in advance to anyone replying, have never had this happen before. Every and any help is very very much appreciated 🙏🏼 .
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-20-2020, 06:33 AM   #2
maddmatth
Major
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: F82 M4, E92 335i

Share the photos of them and those plastic racks they used to hold the car on some local Facebook pages. Someone might recognise them or remember seeing them with that gear. The guy on the left is just visible enough that someone who knows him might recognise him there.

As for the rest... I'm sure your insurance company will know what to do. Otherwise call up a local workshop or bodyshop to help out. This kind of stuff happens all the time, people in the industry will know what to do.

Ordered wheel locks for mine, surprised they weren't standard. Still need to pick them up from the dealer...

F**king thieves man. Parasites of society.
Appreciate 2
      06-20-2020, 06:47 AM   #3
dwz
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M3

This is so bad... feel sorry for you... Don't think the wheel locks will help if they are professionals, the only way is never park near someplace you felt unsafe...

As for body shop you can try C&D body shop in South Hackensack NJ, they specialize in BMW and Tesla, give the owner Matt a call and I am sure he will help.
Appreciate 1
      06-20-2020, 07:54 AM   #4
White340
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 Comp / 2022 X5 45e

This is the downside of everyone having to wear masks. Cameras are useless.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2020, 02:40 PM   #5
Baggedm4F83
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bmw M4 F83

Quote:
Originally Posted by llvsixaxisvll View Post
In Old City, Philly. Happened on Thursday, the 18th @ 2 AM in corner of Woods and Randolph.

Walked out to car tonight to find 437m wheel were stolen, (had no wheel locks). According to dash cam footage they were in and out within 5 mins. Saw the other posts about people not having any wheel locks and their wheels getting stolen, and was so close to buying them last week. I should have, maybe would have thwarted them, and now feeling shitty. Wish I was local enough to be keeping an eye out of craigslist / letgo, as they're faces are fairly clear. Was a third guy too.

Any recommendations in North NJ to get bodywork done? Side skirts are damaged, rotor seems to be alright for now, but front bumper is also damaged.

Also, anyone have other recommendations on where else/how I should check for damage or any possible issues down the road? Plan to visually inspect underside. And front rotors seem to be okay when driving (drove on spare skinny winter set).

Already called local cops, made a police report over the phone. Plan to start an insurance claim in the AM. (Anyone have any thoughts on the best way for me to go about this process?)

Thanks in advance to anyone replying, have never had this happen before. Every and any help is very very much appreciated 🙏🏼 .
That's unfortunate man smh, these dudes are pathetic stealing rims from hard working people. Something like this happen to me once they stole the wheels off my RX7 , so I did a bit of research and ended up buying some locks from rimlox. The guy cuts his own lock and keys an gives you a dummy lug to put over the lock, long story short I bought some work wheels and they tried to hit my car again they were able to take off all the lugs except the rimlox 1. I'm not saying they are impossible to take off but they are definitely troublesome, a bit pricey tho.
Appreciate 1
      06-20-2020, 04:06 PM   #6
icebiker
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 F83 6MT

So sorry about this man. Thieves suck. As for body work highly recommend Karl's Auto Body in Morristown. I've taken my cars there for a while and he is simply excellent. Owner is Kenny. He is meticulous. He worked on a local resident's 430i which had its entire drivers side thrashed. Very unique aqua blue metallic. He got it back to perfect and didn't have to replace any panels. I actually drove by that car today in town and it looked like new.
Appreciate 2
      06-20-2020, 05:59 PM   #7
Suds
/M Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: Responsiblish

I’m running two sets of these wheel locks, if my wheels still get stolen I tried.

Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      06-20-2020, 10:15 PM   #8
patb609
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Thats sucks, I have a set of black 437s for sale if you need a replacement.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2020, 05:02 PM   #9
DL335D
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 e92 M3 Q4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suds View Post
I'm running two sets of these wheel locks, if my wheels still get stolen I tried.

I would steer clear of those wheel locks. Mine rusted on and it took the bmw dealership 3+ hrs to remove them. I spoke with the head mechanic and he said they have problems with them all the time. He recommended this style...
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
PhatLyfe985.00
      06-21-2020, 05:12 PM   #10
Suds
/M Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: Responsiblish

Probably depends on where you live, road conditions and how often they are taken off. On my 2015 M4, I had the wheels off every couple of months.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DL335D View Post
I would steer clear of those wheel locks. Mine rusted on and it took the bmw dealership 3+ hrs to remove them. I spoke with the head mechanic and he said they have problems with them all the time. He recommended this style...
Appreciate 1
DL335D580.00
      06-22-2020, 05:41 PM   #11
Zucco
Private
Rep
Drives: X5 50i M-sport / M4 Comp

Garage List
2017 M4 Comp  [0.00]
2012 BMW X5 50i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwz View Post
This is so bad... feel sorry for you... Don't think the wheel locks will help if they are professionals, the only way is never park near someplace you felt unsafe...

As for body shop you can try C&D body shop in South Hackensack NJ, they specialize in BMW and Tesla, give the owner Matt a call and I am sure he will help.
2 thumbs up for C&D, Matt is the best
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2020, 07:17 AM   #12
jfritz27
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 CS

Ugh, so sorry about that man.

In 2003, my beloved blue '99 Civic Si was stolen from that EXACT same intersection (I was parked on Wood). Ultimately, they found the car gutted in like the only wooded area in Camden. I replaced that with a '91 Sentra SE-R, and a couple years later it was also parked on Wood and that got broken into. Old City is a beautiful place in many ways, but that street is trouble.

Hopefully damage should just be cosmetic. While I don't have personal experience, I've heard very good things about Body Shop by DiEva, which is just a quick jaunt across the BF bridge in NJ right off of Rt 70. I had a minor cosmetic issue, and this was the place recommended by the staff at BMW of Mt. Laurel (after recommending Holman collision, their own body shop of course). DiEva looks a bit sketchy/run-down from the outside, but they supposedly do fantastic work and won't break the bank. I ended up just leaving my little issue be, so never got it fixed.

Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2020, 12:43 PM   #13
Alan92
Private
Rep
Drives: M8C Comp

Sorry to hear.

Check out the mcgard ultra security locks with spinning head, I'm sure they're not 100% undefeatable but will probably give the average thief a more difficult time. Used these on all my cars, parked all over NYC, and never had any issues with them

https://www.ebay.com/itm/SL-UHS-Ultr...UAAOSweEFbBj~N
      07-08-2020, 11:38 AM   #14
c4ss
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 BMW M3 ZCP 6MT

Damn that's awful man. Old City Phila is a very safe/nice neighborhood, so naturally I'm pretty surprised. Unfortunately the criminals know there's some nice cars there. Hope it all gets straightened out.
Appreciate 1
      07-10-2020, 08:37 PM   #15
BitchinManWheels
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M4, Z4, X5, Raptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan92 View Post
Sorry to hear.

Check out the mcgard ultra security locks with spinning head, I'm sure they're not 100% undefeatable but will probably give the average thief a more difficult time. Used these on all my cars, parked all over NYC, and never had any issues with them

https://www.ebay.com/itm/SL-UHS-Ultr...UAAOSweEFbBj~N
+1 for these
The others they can hammer on a tight socket and get them off.
Or they have a set of multiple keys, they are easy to get.
Nothing is theft proof.
Just think what will take the most time to get off and are the wheels worth the risk/effort.
      04-08-2021, 04:05 AM   #16
Vence
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

That sucks! Check these out, it's the best option available for sure https://us.rimgard.com/products/bmw

Appreciate 0
      04-08-2021, 02:05 PM   #17
Whatcoloristhat
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F8x

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddmatth View Post
Share the photos of them and those plastic racks they used to hold the car on some local Facebook pages. Someone might recognise them or remember seeing them with that gear. The guy on the left is just visible enough that someone who knows him might recognise him there.

As for the rest... I'm sure your insurance company will know what to do. Otherwise call up a local workshop or bodyshop to help out. This kind of stuff happens all the time, people in the industry will know what to do.

Ordered wheel locks for mine, surprised they weren't standard. Still need to pick them up from the dealer...

F**king thieves man. Parasites of society.
Wheel locks just take an extra minute at best. Not the best safety measure unfortunately. It sucks to see this happen and it can happen anywhere!
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2021, 02:09 PM   #18
Whatcoloristhat
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F8x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vence View Post
That sucks! Check these out, it's the best option available for sure https://us.rimgard.com/products/bmw

Says only for OEM rims and no support even for the 666 models or aftermarket.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2021, 07:40 PM   #19
Ricostrong60
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 16' AW f82 11' E92

i use these havent gotten my wheels stolen since https://www.amazon.com/Gorilla-Autom...illa+wh&sr=8-3
Appreciate 1
PhatLyfe985.00
      04-11-2021, 11:32 AM   #20
rmanm4
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 F82

Garage List
2020 BMW M4  [0.00]
This breaks my heart and rages my anger!
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2021, 01:11 PM   #21
dnanrub
Only dead fish go with the flow
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 M3 ZCP

What about wheel locks with spacers and longer bolts?
Appreciate 0