proTUNING Freaks
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > F80 M3 / M4 Pricing, Ordering, European Delivery

11-06-2013, 08:02 AM   #45
basscadet
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 991.2 GT3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
Who the hell wants to hold a cell phone for nav directions? Not I!
Don't hold it, have it speak to you through Bluetooth and just glance down at it in your cupholder when you need visual assistance.

I travel a lot for work and this is what I do every time.

Google Navigation is superior to any and all in-car nav systems. Spending $2k for Nav in a car not only immediately dates the car, it is something to be very likely unused: how often do you drive to places you are not already familiar with when in your home town? I used my car's navigation system maybe once in the 3 years I owned it. Waste of money.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2013, 08:56 AM   #46
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

To answer you question honestly.....

...ALL THE TIME. I regularly use my nav; I venture outside of my hometown often, and even in my hometown I don't know every street. It's worth every penny to me.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2013, 11:29 AM   #47
KevN27
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M

If the Nav already comes as standard, then there's not many options I would want tbh. Maybe just rear parking sensors and HK sound system.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2013, 11:36 AM   #48
Swancoat
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salespunk View Post
For street driving they last a long time. On the track not so much.
I can say that about Steel brakes too though, right? So how long do they last relative to steel? Basically, if the CCB Brakes last x times longer than steel on the street, do they also last x times longer than steel on the track? Quick googling suggests that the answer is 'yes'.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2013, 12:00 PM   #49
solstice
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swancoat View Post
I can say that about Steel brakes too though, right? So how long do they last relative to steel? Basically, if the CCB Brakes last x times longer than steel on the street, do they also last x times longer than steel on the track? Quick googling suggests that the answer is 'yes'.
If I tracked my car regulary I would want the CCBs. Tracking a car in this price and power range is already such a costly endevour ( tires, wear and tear, depreciation, damage etc. ) that I would think the added performance of the CCBs would be worth it. As for cost saving due to better longetivity I would think that's wishful thinking, taken the initial cost and not being covered the first 4 years by the maintenance plan.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2013, 12:13 PM   #50
Jockey
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 992 C4S

Agree, I don't think anyone is doubting CCB is the way to go for performance on the track. But trying to convince yourself that CCBs will save you money in the long run is slightly foolhardy. That's not even counting the initial investment of the $9k sticker price.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2013, 12:23 PM   #51
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevN27 View Post
If the Nav already comes as standard, then there's not many options I would want tbh. Maybe just rear parking sensors and HK sound system.
That's what I'm thinking...........Nav/BT and a 6MT are the only deal-breakers for me. IF a car has those two things, the rest I can work around.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2013, 12:52 PM   #52
absoluteis350
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 Singapore Grey M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jockey View Post
Agree, I don't think anyone is doubting CCB is the way to go for performance on the track. But trying to convince yourself that CCBs will save you money in the long run is slightly foolhardy. That's not even counting the initial investment of the $9k sticker price.
Honestly, (and I'm probably the only one that thinks this) if CCB throw little to no brake dust plus the improved performance, then they are worth it for me given the amount of time I spend cleaning my rims of brake dust, even in the freezing winter months. Screw that..

Quote:
Originally Posted by basscadet View Post
how often do you drive to places you are not already familiar with when in your home town? I used my car's navigation system maybe once in the 3 years I owned it. Waste of money.
I hardly ever use the GUIDANCE system on my navigation, but that doesn't mean that I don't use it. I very often look at the map to see the upcoming streets and to remind myself of the turn I need to make, even if I know where I'm going. I am CONSTANTLY using the map feature to figure out how to reroute around rush hour traffic to get home by a specific time. I use it a lot, even though I never leave my geographic area.

Besides, that's the argument that BMW should adopt iOS7 or some other widely used operating system for the sat/nav.. You could choose to use google maps or any other system that is constantly upgraded and refined, instead of being stuck with whatever dinosaur the car manufacturer decides to saddle you with.

Who is getting the "Lane Departure Warning" system ? LOL

Last edited by absoluteis350; 11-06-2013 at 12:57 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2013, 01:08 PM   #53
Jockey
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 992 C4S

Quote:
Originally Posted by absoluteis350 View Post
Honestly, (and I'm probably the only one that thinks this) if CCB throw little to no brake dust plus the improved performance, then they are worth it for me given the amount of time I spend cleaning my rims of brake dust, even in the freezing winter months. Screw that..
While I would like to never have to clean my damn CSL reps ever again, I'm not lazy enough for it to be $9k to me. Just a little wheel wax, take a rag to them every now and then, and voila.

And I would like to see BMW adopt Google Maps or something else for their nav instead of their propriety software.

Google maps on my phone which is piped through the stereo by Bluetooth has worked wonderfully, I'll save that $2k for something else
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2013, 03:01 PM   #54
Swancoat
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
So the CCB's are not covered by the maintenance plant? wtf.

Regardless, despite my saying that I've gone through several sets of rotors with this car, NOT going through any rotors wouldn't really save me any money because BMW paid for the replacement of those rotors every time (except the last one, because I'm now out of warranty, so I had them machined). I have to say, I was very impressed with BMW for paying for them - they knew the car was tracked too.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2013, 03:16 PM   #55
absoluteis350
Captain
Rep

Quote:
While I would like to never have to clean my damn CSL reps ever again, I'm not lazy enough for it to be $9k to me. Just a little wheel wax, take a rag to them every now and then, and voila.
Heh.. Yea. More a matter of no time and in winter, way too much of a pain in the ass (although the shitty winter rims will be on).
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2013, 04:29 PM   #56
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

I highly doubt that a CCB doesn't cause brake dust. We're going to be seeing some dirty wheels on CCB equipped M's.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2013, 05:55 PM   #57
absoluteis350
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
I highly doubt that a CCB doesn't cause brake dust. We're going to be seeing some dirty wheels on CCB equipped M's.
It creates a LOT less brake dust and the dust it does create doesn't tend to cling to the wheels. Anyway, a minor but pertinent 'pro' in the CCB column.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2013, 06:55 PM   #58
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
It creates a LOT less brake dust and the dust it does create doesn't tend to cling to the wheels. Anyway, a minor but pertinent 'pro' in the CCB column.
We can agree that what you've stated is more a function of the pad material rather than the rotor, right? With that said, put some well engineered pads on a set of disc brakes and you could minimize brake dust on those as well. After all, it has been done for years.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2013, 12:54 PM   #59
04cobra
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3 - 6MT

Nav has always been useless to me when included in the car. I default to my phone for google maps everytime. There has always been somewhere to stick my phone so i can easily see it and use BT to hear the directions...if theres no where to put it I just order a holder off proclips. My CTS-V had navigation and I used it maybe once when I forgot my phone at home.

The only options I would want is MT and any performance options that would increase the acceleration on the car.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2013, 12:57 PM   #60
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2024 G80 Comp xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan
Quote:
We can agree that what you've stated is more a function of the pad material rather than the rotor, right? With that said, put some well engineered pads on a set of disc brakes and you could minimize brake dust on those as well. After all, it has been done for years.
Yes, but with low dust pads for steel rotors, you sacrifice performance. Not so for CCB's.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2013, 12:08 PM   #61
absoluteis350
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Needsdecaf View Post
Yes, but with low dust pads for steel rotors, you sacrifice performance. Not so for CCB's.
Exactly.. I had low dust pads on my RS4 and they sucked (compared to decent performance pads).

Anyway, not saying it's completely a no brainer to dish out for CCB, but its certainly not that one sided. If under street use, if they truly last 100k, then that's a serious cost recoup right there. Plus the added benefits discussed above - less dust, better performance. Didn't the M5 forum also talk about better feel ? Who knows, I don't own them, but I can't say I'm averse to paying for them if they truly wear slower and don't kick up dust.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2013, 02:09 PM   #62
turbolag
is nonexistent with N/A
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:
Exactly.. I had low dust pads on my RS4 and they sucked (compared to decent performance pads).

Anyway, not saying it's completely a no brainer to dish out for CCB, but its certainly not that one sided. If under street use, if they truly last 100k, then that's a serious cost recoup right there. Plus the added benefits discussed above - less dust, better performance. Didn't the M5 forum also talk about better feel ? Who knows, I don't own them, but I can't say I'm averse to paying for them if they truly wear slower and don't kick up dust.
It's the price that worries me. No replacements, etc. I've driven euro for a decade now, so dust doesn't worry me. I wash regularly enough, so oh well. I just want good performance.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2013, 02:30 PM   #63
Uneedthis2
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 335i M-sport

Quote:
If under street use, if they truly last 100k, then that's a serious cost recoup right there.
Is this actually the guestimated life of the pads/rotors?
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2013, 02:35 PM   #64
solstice
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3 6MT

If the CCBs are $10k with tax factory installed what is the replacement cost, $20k? That $10k factory installed is on top of the cost of the standard brakes... I fail to see how this option will be anything but über expensive vs. standard brakes.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2013, 02:41 PM   #65
absoluteis350
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by solstice View Post
If the CCBs are $10k with tax factory installed what is the replacement cost, $20k? That $10k factory installed is on top of the cost of the standard brakes...
Yes, but if the M5 forum guys are correct, and they last 100k mi plus, then the standard brakes would have at least 5-6 sets of pad changes plus 2 rotor changes by that time... no ? At least that's my experience and I'm not even up to 100k mi on my steel brakes. If you get rid of the car at 80k mi, then you never had to touch the CCB while you blew through tons of hardware on the steel. Just saying something to consider.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uneedthis2 View Post
Is this actually the guestimated life of the pads/rotors?
Rotors= life of car
Pads= 100k miles

At least that's what the M5 guys say... That's a significant cost recoup and something to consider along with the other advantages.. again, doesn't mean the CCB are a bargain, but they may not be as bad as people say:
http://f10.m5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=821498
"My service says that the discs never need replacing and last the lifetime of the car and the brake pads need changing in 100,000 miles." That seems like that's from the horses mouth. But then again, we won't really know until we get official info.

Last edited by absoluteis350; 11-11-2013 at 02:48 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2013, 03:18 PM   #66
attila
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 Mclaren 650s, 2015 GTS4,

If Porsche's PCCB's are any indication, the BMW CCB will not worth the money. It last longer than steel on the GT3 but not x5 (maybe x2).
No track pad compound available so not as good as steel on the track.
Appreciate 0