Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

10-01-2018, 06:34 PM   #1
Donger Kim
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: MY16 M3

Do factory swaybar end links have any preload? (also fall line adjustable)

Hello,

Just a quick question. Was installing coilovers (JRZ RS2sport) + fall line adjustable front end links this weekend and was wondering if the factory front end links have a “little bit” of preload?

The reason why i ask is I can’t seem to install the front end links without any preload. I am not sure if the mounting position is incorrect (the damper) or these links are simply not long enough. I noticed on Matt Mooremans/obsessed garage video
. if you skip to 14m-25s, the technician installs them with some preload. Conveniently I actually have all the same suspension pieces (front rear sway bar endlinks, rear toe arm and same JRZ set up).

So my question is, is it ok to have some preload? I am unsure if the sway bar is 100% parallel to the ground as the method i am installing them is -

After the suspension is settled with ONLY the top/damper side of the endlink installed, I reach under the car and attempted to adjust the dangling endlink so it slides right into the sway bar with ZERO preload. but my fall line end link is not long enough and I don’t want to extend it so much where there isn’t enough threads attaching the adjustable and the bar together to be strong enough.

Anyone else have this issue? Any help is much appreciated!

-Dong
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2018, 11:10 AM   #2
bravehart38
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 11' M3

Bump. Got in on the JRZ coilover groupbuy and was wondering the same thing.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2018, 12:34 PM   #3
Donger Kim
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bravehart38 View Post
Bump. Got in on the JRZ coilover groupbuy and was wondering the same thing.
i got to the bottom of this. the answer is no but my issue likely doesn’t pertain to your situation as i have the older style mounting points (so fix the guy in the video). I would definitely doubt check and measure though
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2018, 12:41 AM   #4
MPOOR
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 / WHITE

You do not want any preload on your sway bars when a vehicle is in a static mode for corner weight.
You want an adjustable sway bar end links for front and rear that has a wide range of adjustability. So that way you can truly corner balance your car and that's the whole point of doing it. My SPL adjustable end links worked well.
      11-27-2018, 04:21 AM   #5
Donger Kim
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nysid2007 View Post
You do not want any preload on your sway bars when a vehicle is in a static mode for corner weight.
You want an adjustable sway bar end links for front and rear that has a wide range of adjustability. So that way you can truly corner balance your car and that's the whole point of doing it. My SPL adjustable end links worked well.
Do you also have SPL rear adjustable end links? I have the fronts and they are fantastic
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2018, 08:49 AM   #6
MPOOR
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 / WHITE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donger Kim View Post
Do you also have SPL rear adjustable end links? I have the fronts and they are fantastic
Yes ~ i do ~ you cannot have the rear when you have the front right ? hah~
I'm just waiting on my next pay stuff for the rear upper arms and rear traction link. SPL probably the best aftermarket option for control arms.
      11-30-2018, 03:12 PM   #7
Donger Kim
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nysid2007 View Post
Yes ~ i do ~ you cannot have the rear when you have the front right ? hah~
I'm just waiting on my next pay stuff for the rear upper arms and rear traction link. SPL probably the best aftermarket option for control arms.
great, a question for you. At the shortest length, did your rear end links go in without any preload? I can’t imagine that being the case as the rear sway bar + control arm distance is like 1.5-2” away and i’m not even near “slammed” to the ground. I think i have a modest .5” drop...
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2018, 11:01 PM   #8
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Every car will be different.

You can disconnect the endlink at the static ride height to see if there is any. Once you lower the car from OE, you will likely to have more preload.
Appreciate 0