Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

09-30-2018, 06:57 PM   #1
empowered_one
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 ZCP Mineral White

Macht Schnell Competition Sport Spring - Front Clunk / Clicking issue

Not sure if anyone else is having any issues with MachtSchnell Comp springs on the front of their F80...the set I have seems like the front springs are too short, and at extreme steering angles, they dislodge from the upper spring perch and bind up.

I have installed countless sets of springs on BMW's over the years and have never had this issue occur. Every time I get the spring in place, it stays for a few weeks, and then becomes dislodged again.

It is super annoying, i'm on the 2nd set of strut boots because they continue to get shredded and this has happened on both the front driver and passenger sides. Honestly, I love the springs, but can't continue to deal with this...might be switching springs soon to something else.

Has anyone else encountered this issue? Surely, I can't be the only one.
      10-01-2018, 11:15 AM   #2
trickcruiser
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80

View post on imgur.com

Same issue here with my front left...
Mine occurred simply backing into a spot and cutting the wheel hard. It made a pop noise and then Continued to make noises until I replaced the boot. I actually sent an email to MS to see if this was a common issue or there was something I could do to prevent it from happening again, but never received a response...
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2018, 11:22 AM   #3
empowered_one
Private
Rep

Wow, yeah that is exactly what happened to mine, hell that boot tear is more or less exactly what my first one looked like when I removed it. I need to order a new boot (again) so I can fix this again....at least I don’t feel alone....

Last edited by empowered_one; 10-01-2018 at 05:30 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2018, 12:11 PM   #4
tom @ eas
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMW

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [0.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [5.25]
The issue is likely install-related, due to the spring grabbing the boot when the car is being lowered back down or spring not positioned correctly when installing. A good tip is to very lightly lube the mating surface of the spring and insulator when installing so the spring does not grab/twist and tear the insulator when the spring is loaded.

IMHO, the insulator boots should be replaced if any signs of damage are seen when installing new springs.

GET DAILY UPDATES ON OUR BLOG · FACEBOOK · YOUTUBE · FLICKR · INSTAGRAM
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2018, 12:39 PM   #5
parabmw
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 m4

Is the same issue for all lowering springs or just ms?
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2018, 12:41 PM   #6
tom @ eas
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [0.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [5.25]
Quote:
Originally Posted by parabmw View Post
Is the same issue for all lowering springs or just ms?
Seen it with all springs, those with higher mileage or multiple spring swaps will likely have torn boots since the rubber is very thin. The boots aren't expensive, replacing them when new springs are installed isn't a bad idea.

Appreciate 0
      10-01-2018, 01:08 PM   #7
trickcruiser
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom @ eas View Post
The issue is likely install-related, due to the spring grabbing the boot when the car is being lowered back down or spring not positioned correctly when installing. A good tip is to very lightly lube the mating surface of the spring and insulator when installing so the spring does not grab/twist and tear the insulator when the spring is loaded.

IMHO, the insulator boots should be replaced if any signs of damage are seen when installing new springs.

I installed these on my 18 with 1k on the clock so we can at least eliminate the boot being worn as an issue. I have also installed 50+ suspensions over the years on multiple different platforms and brands without any issue like this. This does not mean that I can not make a mistake (god knows I have made my fair share).

Now adding some grease might help the top of the spring, i can see that potentially allowing a better glide without grabbing. I will add this to my car this week.

But at the end of the day, I almost feel like there might be 2 issues here.
1: the boot that the spring seats in on the top is not strong enough to truly hold the spring in place.

2:The spring might be a little too short for the car. If you unload the suspension on a lift, you can grab and rotate the spring with a little force.

The good news, I really love the look and feel of the car with these springs. I just wish this was something I did not need to deal with...
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2018, 03:30 PM   #8
empowered_one
Private
Rep

@ Tom - thanks for your feedback. Grease is an interesting option, never crossed my mind and might help.

I do know for a fact that the springs were installed correctly all 3 times I’ve had them pulled out and re-adjusted. I don’t know how you avoid the spring moving when lowering the vehicle, but maybe next time I will get a paint marker in mark it to verify the alignment if an issue arises again.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2018, 03:32 PM   #9
empowered_one
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by trickcruiser View Post
I installed these on my 18 with 1k on the clock so we can at least eliminate the boot being worn as an issue. I have also installed 50+ suspensions over the years on multiple different platforms and brands without any issue like this. This does not mean that I can not make a mistake (god knows I have made my fair share).

Now adding some grease might help the top of the spring, i can see that potentially allowing a better glide without grabbing. I will add this to my car this week.

1: the boot that the spring seats in on the top is not strong enough to truly hold the spring in place.

2:The spring might be a little too short for the car. If you unload the suspension on a lift, you can grab and rotate the spring with a little force.

The good news, I really love the look and feel of the car with these springs. I just wish this was something I did not need to deal with...

I totally agree with the two points mentioned above, I totally feel that both of those could be contributing factors with what I am seeing on my vehicle as well. I guess Time will tell. Thanks dude!
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2018, 10:31 AM   #10
trickcruiser
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

So is the solution officially to grease the spring and pray? LOL?
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2018, 01:11 PM   #11
tom @ eas
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [0.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [5.25]
Quote:
So is the solution officially to grease the spring and pray? LOL?
We don't see any returning visits for repairs. Just pay close attention to the boot/spring when installing.

Appreciate 0
      10-11-2018, 02:20 PM   #12
JamesGames
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E60 550i|F82 M4|F48 X1|VA STi

Quote:

Just FYI, I've installed Swifts / Bilstein PSS10 / KW Clubsport 3 Way so far on the F82 and all 3 you can turn the spring by hand with the car jacked up. Nothing out of the ordinary.

Both sets PSS10 / Swift have "dead coils" that are active when car is jacked up or suspension drooped in order to prevent issues with spring when not compressed, but they will still make minor sounds sometimes when the springs bind / decompress / turn. When I switched to KW clubsport coilovers with helper springs, those sounds dissipated but due to camber plate I have more NVH. Helper spring coilovers usually have less spring binding noise from my experience..

I'd check the dust boots and go from there if it's super loud. Otherwise.. it is what it is. I assume you hear noises when entering driveways full lock or when doing parking lot maneuvers with a lot of steering movement? Also, it looks like you're missing a bolt to your top mount in the picture you posted.. check that.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2018, 09:23 AM   #13
empowered_one
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesGames View Post
I assume you hear noises when entering driveways full lock or when doing parking lot maneuvers with a lot of steering movement? Also, it looks like you're missing a bolt to your top mount in the picture you posted.. check that.
Yes, only full lock with a lot of steering maneuvers. And it is usually good for a month or two and then some awkward maneuver causes it to pop off again.

Regarding the strut bolt you have a good eye! Funny thing is, I didn't touch any of the top mount bolts when doing the suspension, we just removed the strut nut on the upper mount and lowered the suspension to pull off the spring...easiest spring changes ever! I will look into that bolt for sure!
      12-18-2018, 09:07 AM   #14
Alan l.
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 F95 X5M Competition

Quote:

Same here. Glad i'm not the only one. I installed these MS springs with only 200 miles on the odometer so everything is new and also experience suspension noise on the driver front, under light bumps when the steering wheel is turned. Going straight i don't notice noise and if there is its alot less than if the car was turning and hitting bumps at the same time. Is there a solution for this?

Alan
      12-18-2018, 09:22 AM   #15
parabmw
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 m4

Does this happen with springs only?
Does it happen with coilovers like kw v3?
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2018, 09:50 AM   #16
Alan l.
Major General
Rep

I've only come cross this with MS springs. Its unfortunate because these springs perform spectacular for my daily driving duties. Rides like stock but a lower ride height.
      12-18-2018, 09:59 AM   #17
trickcruiser
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I really think it is a flaw in the spring design and is just physically a little too short. Such a shame because the spring rate is spot on as the ride quality is on point. Not sure what I will change out to this year...
      12-19-2018, 12:13 PM   #18
FreeDarko
Captain
Rep

Out of curiosity, why do people buy MS and Emanuelle springs when there are actual suspension and spring manufacturers offering products for our cars? From the limited information available online, these brands seem like they are just white labeling these products.

Not saying there won't be issues with H&R, Swifts and Eibachs etc as this platform has shown to be the case, but atleast we know the source and have a history of backing their products.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2018, 12:23 PM   #19
tom @ eas
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [0.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [5.25]
Quote:
Originally Posted by parabmw View Post
Does this happen with springs only?
Does it happen with coilovers like kw v3?
The issue is most times install-related as described earlier, which can happen with any suspension that retains the stock strut mounts.

Appreciate 0
      01-30-2019, 09:55 PM   #20
jclifton
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4 Convertible

Any upgraded mount or boot for this? I put these in this past weekend and am hearing/feeling clunks from the front on bumps regardless of steering angle. The noises only show up when the bumps are significant though but they are clearly noticable.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2019, 10:24 PM   #21
tom @ eas
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [0.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [5.25]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jclifton View Post
Any upgraded mount or boot for this? I put these in this past weekend and am hearing/feeling clunks from the front on bumps regardless of steering angle. The noises only show up when the bumps are significant though but they are clearly noticable.
No, only OEM. Inspect to see if the boot was torn during installation.

Appreciate 0
      01-31-2019, 08:55 AM   #22
Alan l.
Major General
Rep

Tom its safe to say that this issue isn't install related. Most of us didn't use a monkey as a mechanic to get springs installed and the process is straight forward on this car. No worn parts since we have guys like me and others do the install when the car had less than 200 miles on the odometer. I've personally checked my install and nothing looks off and everything is tight but I still get the clunks on certain types of sharp bumps and more so when the wheel is turned.

I've checked the forums and nobody else seems to have this issue with springs except for those with MS springs.

I will most likely swap these out for M Performance suspension once winter is over...

Alan

Last edited by Alan l.; 01-31-2019 at 09:08 AM..
Appreciate 0