Mo Reviews
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics

01-13-2021, 08:10 PM   #1
dinonz
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 MWM ZCP

Apple Carplay question

Sorry - this is probably a basic question but I don't have Carplay in any car I have so I'm not sure.

When you jump in your car and fire it up, is there anything you have to do to connect Carplay, or is it all fully automatic?

The reason I ask is I might be installing something in my car that works wirelessly with my iPhone - which is cute, but I don't want to pull my phone out of my pocket to use it, so I want to jump in my car and (within a certain period of time after startup to allow connection etc) be able to connect to this device through Carplay - is that how it works? Will it depend on this devices iPhone app being Carplay compatible, or does everything work?
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2021, 10:36 PM   #2
Hokayy
Private
Rep
Drives: M3

I had mine coded from a forum member here. Once the car starts up it can take anywhere from a few seconds to sometimes up to a minute to start CarPlay. In most cases, it's pretty instant and I don't need to do anything once I have started the car. It's totally worth it.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2021, 01:31 AM   #3
JagR2611
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinonz View Post
Sorry - this is probably a basic question but I don't have Carplay in any car I have so I'm not sure.

When you jump in your car and fire it up, is there anything you have to do to connect Carplay, or is it all fully automatic?

The reason I ask is I might be installing something in my car that works wirelessly with my iPhone - which is cute, but I don't want to pull my phone out of my pocket to use it, so I want to jump in my car and (within a certain period of time after startup to allow connection etc) be able to connect to this device through Carplay - is that how it works? Will it depend on this devices iPhone app being Carplay compatible, or does everything work?
CarPlay came w/my 2018 and fires up as soon as I confirm the driver profile. The phone itself can be anywhere w/in bluetooth range.

I get in, put my phone on the Rennline mount, select profile and it's good to go. If you are the only driver, there may be a way to avoid having to select the profile it each time. If there is, I don't know how and will defer to the experts.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2021, 07:34 AM   #4
kubax86
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
No_Country
Rep

Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinonz View Post

It connects automatically. Not every app work. Note that you need to have WiFi, Siri, Bluetooth enabled to get it connected automatically on every startup.
Appreciate 0