R44 Performance
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

06-23-2015, 09:45 PM   #353
nene
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Various

Garage List
2015 BMW M4c  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padfan9 View Post
The only thing that annoys me is that the keyless entry and back up camera wasn't standard on the 2015
There are no free meals my friend, not even in 2016.
Those options may now show standard on the car, but the price is commensurate with the changes applied.
They were available in 2015, and you only have yourself to blame for not choosing them, if you really wanted them.

We should be complaining about options that may be available in 2016 that were not in 2015, but even so it would be going too far.
There's always something new and more interesting around the corner.
At least you've been enjoying your car for almost a year now, which 2016 owners can't say!
      06-23-2015, 09:54 PM   #354
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Tesla M3 Perf + '18 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by PodDoc View Post
Does anyone have info to confirm the new nav unit will be available from 7/2015 production, or just sometime during the 2016 model year. Reason I ask is because when I got my '13 335i, It was built in the first month of production. Had i waited a few months, I would have gotten the new nav unit with bigger control knob with touch writing capability. I just put in my order for a '16 M3 and they were able to get me a production for delivery around September. I just hope they arent waiting to release the new unit until they release it in the new 7 series. I realize that the 2 arent exactly the same, but many of the internals may be the same and it makes just as much sense for them to want to debut it on their flagship first as it is to significantly upgrade the nav mid model year.
Yes, all 2016 M3s will have updated Navs.

Also, all US 3-series for MY2013 had the old Nav, regardless of production date, save for the ActiveHybrid3. MY2013 3-series outside N.America did get the new Nav starting with 11/2012 production, but those actually had the standard/smaller controller knob. It took until MY2014 for all 3-series to get the new Nav with updated touch controller.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2015, 09:58 PM   #355
PodDoc
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30 335i / 2016 F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamS
Quote:
Originally Posted by PodDoc View Post
Does anyone have info to confirm the new nav unit will be available from 7/2015 production, or just sometime during the 2016 model year. Reason I ask is because when I got my '13 335i, It was built in the first month of production. Had i waited a few months, I would have gotten the new nav unit with bigger control knob with touch writing capability. I just put in my order for a '16 M3 and they were able to get me a production for delivery around September. I just hope they arent waiting to release the new unit until they release it in the new 7 series. I realize that the 2 arent exactly the same, but many of the internals may be the same and it makes just as much sense for them to want to debut it on their flagship first as it is to significantly upgrade the nav mid model year.
Yes, all 2016 M3s will have updated Navs.

Also, all US 3-series for MY2013 had the old Nav, regardless of production date. MY2013 3-series outside N.America did get the new Nav starting with 11/2012 production, but those actually had the standard/smaller controller knob. It took until MY2014 for all 3-series to get the new Nav with updated touch controller.
Ah, thanks for the clarification. I feel much more at ease now.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2015, 10:15 PM   #356
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

The 2016 M4 Ordering Guide shows the new interior trim with Chrome Accents (4WL instead of the MY2015 4MC Gloss Black).

Last edited by Technic; 06-23-2015 at 11:24 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2015, 10:23 PM   #357
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
The 2016 M4 Ordering Guide shows the new interior trim with Black Chrome Accents (4WL instead of the MY2015 4MC Gloss Black).
How does 4WL look different than 4MC?
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2015, 11:24 PM   #358
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamS View Post
How does 4WL look different than 4MC?
4WL (Carbon Fiber, and all MY2016 interior trims) have the Chrome accents around the air vents instead of 4MC which used to have Gloss Black.

All the codes of the M3 interior trims for MY2016 changed to Chrome accents and all apply to the M4 as well according to the Ordering Guide.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2015, 05:33 AM   #359
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
4WL (Carbon Fiber, and all MY2016 interior trims) have the Chrome accents around the air vents instead of 4MC which used to have Gloss Black.

All the codes of the M3 interior trims for MY2016 changed to Chrome accents and all apply to the M4 as well according to the Ordering Guide.
Well I was familiar with the new "chrome around the vents" accents, but the 'black' in "black chrome" was throwing me off. I think "black trim with satin chrome accents" would have been a better description.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2015, 05:49 AM   #360
nene
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Various

Garage List
2015 BMW M4c  [9.00]
If you picked the CF trim for the interior, I think the gloss black accents match up very nice, as it did in MY2015. Chrome accents will give it more bling feel to it I suppose.
I would have to see in person. Not saying it won't look good as I have not seen any pix. I am sure BMW interior designers have good taste.
      06-24-2015, 06:03 AM   #361
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nene View Post
If you picked the CF trim for the interior, I think the gloss black accents match up very nice, as it did in MY2015. Chrome accents will give it more bling feel to it I suppose.
I would have to see in person. Not saying it won't look good as I have not seen any pix. I am sure BMW interior designers have good taste.
After staring at my F30h interior for 2.5 years, the new silver accents will be a welcome site. Plus, it's the same design theme as they're using on the G12 7-series which is nice.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2015, 07:40 AM   #362
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Well I was familiar with the new "chrome around the vents" accents, but the 'black' in "black chrome" was throwing me off. I think "black trim with satin chrome accents" would have been a better description.
"Black Chrome" is the BMW term...
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2015, 07:58 AM   #363
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Regarding interior trim options:

For MY2015 these were:

4MC Carbon Fiber Trim
4LX Black Chrome Trim Highlight

4LY Aluminium Blade Trim
4LX Black Chrome Trim Highlight

4CE Fineline Anthracite Trim
4DM Pearl Gloss Chrome Trim Highlight

For MY2016, these have changed to:

4WL Carbon Fiber Interior Trim with Black Chrome highlight
4WK Aluminum Blade Trim with Black Chrome highlight
4FU Fineline Anthracite Wood Trim with Pearl Gloss Chrome highlight

As far as I can tell, the only thing that has changed here is that they've abandoned the rather confusing method of specifying trims where the trim and highlight were given separate option codes. I say "confusing" because it sort of led one to believe that the two could be specified independently, when in fact this is not generally the case (and never the case at all for the M3/M4 - only in some specific instances for the 3/4 Series). Even BMW NA themselves were bitten by this. The 2015 pricing guide indicated that specifying the aluminum trim would also add the black chrome highlight, yet the fact is that the black chrome highlight was already standard equipment since it is inextricably paired with standard carbon fiber trim in the US, but not ROW where - in many regions, but not all - the Blue Shadow with Chrome Shadow highlight was standard.

I don't think that there is anything here to verify that the M4 gets the chrome highlights around the air vents, the chrome highlights on the seat adjustments controls, and other new interior touches that are coming with the 3 Series and M3 LCI. Nevertheless, as I've mentioned in past posts, I do strongly suspect that these changes will occur across all models.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2015, 08:19 AM   #364
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
"Black Chrome" is the BMW term...
Yep, I get that. In typical BMW fashion, something probably got lost in the translation.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2015, 08:26 AM   #365
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

There is not that much to suspect, mkoesel.

If the M3 has the exact same trim options codes as the M4, and the M3 is getting Chrome highlights then the M4 is getting them as well. Otherwise the M4 would have kept the MY2015 trim option codes, but it did not. If anything, the only thing not confirmed is the other Chrome highlights (switches) and the center console sliding door. Those I agree with you... they will be also in the M4 by streamlining production.

This is not new... all interior upgrades of the E90 M3 LCI were applied to the E92/93 M3 18 months before its own LCI.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post

I don't think that there is anything here to verify that the M4 gets the chrome highlights around the air vents, the chrome highlights on the seat adjustments controls, and other new interior touches that are coming with the 3 Series and M3 LCI. Nevertheless, as I've mentioned in past posts, I do strongly suspect that these changes will occur across all models.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2015, 08:27 AM   #366
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Yep, I get that. In typical BMW fashion, something probably got lost in the translation.
That is the reason that I edited my post...
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2015, 08:31 AM   #367
mkoesel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
There is not that much to suspect, mkoesel.

If the M3 has the exact same trim options codes as the M4, and the M3 is getting Chrome highlights then the M4 is getting them as well. Otherwise the M4 would have kept the MY2015 trim option codes, but it did not.
If we are betting on it then yes, I agree.

But strictly, there is nothing here to prove that the change in option code methodology is not simply arbitrarily coinciding with the LCI and the new accents around the vents.

Are the physical shape/size of the trim parts even changing to accommodate the new accents?
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2015, 08:39 AM   #368
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
If we are betting on it then yes, I agree.

But strictly, there is nothing here to prove that the change in option code methodology is not simply arbitrarily coinciding with the LCI and the new accents around the vents.

Are the physical shape/size of the trim parts even changing to accommodate the new accents?
In The Ordering Guide I Trust.

If you look closely at the photos of the new trim, what BMW did was replace the current gloss black inserts with chrome/silver paint. Other than that, the trim is exactly the same shape and form as MY2015.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2015, 08:53 AM   #369
rubber_ducky
Colonel
Rep
Drives: roach coach

Quote:

If you look closely at the photos of the new trim, what BMW did was replace the current gloss black inserts with chrome/silver paint. Other than that, the trim is exactly the same shape and form as MY2015.
Is that indeed the case? I thought that I saw a pic of the LCI center HVAC vent where the area surrounding the central lock and hazard buttons was smoothed out vs the sharp corners on my '15.

I'm on a mobile device which makes it tough to tell whether my eyes were playing tricks on me or not, but I hope that they were.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2015, 09:10 AM   #370
mkoesel
United_States
Rep

Quote:

That's what I suspected. But those inserts are separate from the actual trim-proper itself, right? If so then, in fact, if you take a sample of 2016 trim parts and set them right next to a similar sample of 2015 trim parts, you'd be looking at identical parts, probably even with the exact same part numbers. Ergo, for the trim itself, the only thing that has changed is the option codes. Part numbers for the accents around the vents have no doubt changed, yes, but this would not be visible in the order guide.

Do we know if ETK or similar sources have the MY2016 3/4/M3/M4 parts yet? That would provide the insight we need.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2015, 09:26 AM   #371
rubber_ducky
Colonel
Rep
Drives: roach coach

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubber_ducky View Post
Is that indeed the case? I thought that I saw a pic of the LCI center HVAC vent where the area surrounding the central lock and hazard buttons was smoothed out vs the sharp corners on my '15.

I'm on a mobile device which makes it tough to tell whether my eyes were playing tricks on me or not, but I hope that they were.
Check out the pics in this post...

http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...&postcount=306

there is definitely some reshaping around the center buttons. Also, the chrome sits flush with the trim piece vs. being an indented on the black trim.

If anybody with a '16 on order wants to swap for gloss black '15 trim, PM me. Contrary to most members here, I like the chrome highlights.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2015, 09:27 AM   #372
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

Looking at the actual photos of the F30 LCI (the M3 LCI photos are photoshopped) I see now that the vent frames and surrounds are slightly changed. Stand corrected. The current vent frames within the trim have the gloss black surround all around the frame, but in the LCI there is no surround on the bottom part of the frame. The center vent hazard/lock button mount also changed.

So then the change of trim code makes more sense now as the trim is really different not only in the Chrome accent but in shapes within the vent frames from MY2015. The trim and center vent assembly P/N will be different.

Quote:
That's what I suspected. But those inserts are separate from the actual trim-proper itself, right? If so then, in fact, if you take a sample of 2016 trim parts and set them right next to a similar sample of 2015 trim parts, you'd be looking at identical parts, probably even with the exact same part numbers. Ergo, for the trim itself, the only thing that has changed is the option codes. Part numbers for the accents around the vents have no doubt changed, yes, but this would not be visible in the order guide.

Do we know if ETK or similar sources have the MY2016 3/4/M3/M4 parts yet? That would provide the insight we need.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2015, 09:27 AM   #373
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubber_ducky View Post
Check out the pics in this post...

http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...&postcount=306

there is definitely some reshaping around the center buttons. Also, the chrome sits flush with the trim piece vs. being an indented on the black trim.

If anybody with a '16 on order wants to swap for gloss black '15 trim, PM me. Contrary to most members here, I like the chrome highlights.
Yes, you are correct.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2015, 09:33 AM   #374
mkoesel
United_States
Rep

Do you have link to the exact pics you are referring to?

I am skeptical that the trim molds and assemblies will be changing for MY2016. What could have been so important about a few contours that they would reshape all those different trim pieces? There are dozens of different trim types that would be effected.

I can easily accept something like the button surround changing because that will not impact the adjacent trim pieces. But any change that would have a rippling effect to other parts of the interior for no apparent gain I would think would be ruled out for cost reasons.

Quote:
Looking at the actual photos of the F30 LCI (the M3 LCI photos are photoshopped) I see now that the vent frames and surrounds are slightly changed. Stand corrected. The current vent frames within the trim have the gloss black surround all around the frame, but in the LCI there is no surround on the bottom part of the frame. The center vent hazard/lock button mount also changed.

So then the change of trim code makes more sense now as the trim is really different not only in the Chrome accent but in shapes within the vent frames from MY2015. The trim and center vent assembly P/N will be different.
Appreciate 0