R44 Performance
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3 / M4 Photos and Videos

01-16-2015, 09:08 AM   #67
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

Quick addition of my own..... Speed Limit info Veryyyyy handy in this car!

Note the gear number 1-7 is normally displayed right underneath the RPM curve and is the biggest font in the display, very nice. This is just parked up....in a 30mph zone ...in the rain
Attached Images

03-06-2015, 02:28 AM   #68
biggripper
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 G80 M3 Comp xDrive

I wish speed limit info was available a la carte. I can’t really bring myself to drop another $1900 for that one thing.
FORMER ///F87 M2C | Sunset Orange/Orange | 6MT | Black 788M Wheels
FORMER ///F82 M4 | SSII | Full SO | 6MT | Black 437M Wheels
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2015, 02:50 AM   #69
Brady1984
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3

I would still like to have the speed limit displayed even without the added accuracy of road sign detection. Just getting the GPS output is more than enough for most other nav systems. I hope someone figures this out one day.
      03-06-2015, 03:47 AM   #70
Blksnowflake
Mlightened
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yaz M3

sigh...
people, just pay the money and stop bitching.
I want this, I don't want that....BMW cannot possibly please and price every option for everyone.
It doesn't even make business sense, or logistical sense, just because some cheap asses don't want to pay x.y.z for x.y.z.... what you need to do is prioritise and figure what you need and if you're on that strict of a budget, get a Honda, no worries about $4900 Exec packages.

By the way, I was on a budget, but fuck it....what's next, I wish the full leather package had a cup holder option that cooks bacon in the car...wtf.

Last edited by Blksnowflake; 03-06-2015 at 04:17 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2015, 04:06 AM   #71
Blksnowflake
Mlightened
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brady1984 View Post
I would still like to have the speed limit displayed even without the added accuracy of road sign detection. Just getting the GPS output is more than enough for most other nav systems. I hope someone figures this out one day.
What! Why the hell would you forego the option of "added accuracy". Since when is added accuracy bad. Getting the GPS output is not enough, this is why systems are now using both a camera and GPS.
Systems do not update fast enough to keep pace with changing road conditions across the whole nation. There are pop up construction zones for emergency repairs, or school zones on four lane road ways that are too new or to short in distance to have been recognised in the GPS system, dozens of examples.....but if the GPS doesn't pick it up, the camera in "real time", right now does recognise it and will alert you.

I don't know how often I'm driving through a small town with decreasing speed limits all the way down to 25mph(down from 75) and the GPS doesn't alert me to every incremental decrease, but when I pass a sign, the camera notices and I get immediate feedback. Now sure if the sign is blocked by a truck passing/parked on the right then there's no indication but thats why the GPS is also there, to work in tandem.
And we could what if all day long....what if the sign fell down, or a wildebeest herd knocks it down or octopus inks all over it.....you run over a drive shaft and bend your oil cooler....

Use your eyeballs to see the road, as well as the best technology has to offer.
Just using only GPS or only camera, depending on just your eyes isn't enough. One or the other is an obsolete solution for failure, team work.

Last edited by Blksnowflake; 03-06-2015 at 04:15 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2015, 08:13 AM   #72
Zee Dgerman
Lead, follow, or get out of my way
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 Audi S3

Cool! can you post a pic with the navigation active? Thanks
      03-06-2015, 08:17 AM   #73
Zee Dgerman
Lead, follow, or get out of my way
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 Audi S3

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggripper View Post
I wish speed limit info was available a la carte. I can’t really bring myself to drop another $1900 for that one thing.
Honestly while it may be good to be reminded what the speed limit is in such a fast car, I'm not sure it makes a big difference. I don't even understand why it's an extra option, in canada the option is like 350$ I think. They should just include it with exec, or premium. i find it rather insulting when you purchase a fully loaded 100k car and they ask you for a 350$ option to see the speed limit, should be included in one of the packages.
      03-06-2015, 12:06 PM   #74
Blksnowflake
Mlightened
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zee Dgerman View Post
Honestly while it may be good to be reminded what the speed limit is in such a fast car, I'm not sure it makes a big difference. I don't even understand why it's an extra option, in canada the option is like 350$ I think. They should just include it with exec, or premium. i find it rather insulting when you purchase a fully loaded 100k car and they ask you for a 350$ option to see the speed limit, should be included in one of the packages.
BMW is pretty bad about this type of stuff, many examples of nickel and diming....perhaps it''s the german way. I find the cheap floor mats an insult and how could the car not come with wheel locks....My previous Evo and STI both came with model specific floor mats and wheel locks, both cheaper cars.
I would not be surprised if on the next generation we are going to have to pay for M badges on the car, "///M Performance Badging $398".
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2015, 04:40 PM   #75
Brady1984
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blksnowflake View Post
What! Why the hell would you forego the option of "added accuracy". Since when is added accuracy bad. Getting the GPS output is not enough, this is why systems are now using both a camera and GPS.
Systems do not update fast enough to keep pace with changing road conditions across the whole nation. There are pop up construction zones for emergency repairs, or school zones on four lane road ways that are too new or to short in distance to have been recognised in the GPS system, dozens of examples.....but if the GPS doesn't pick it up, the camera in "real time", right now does recognise it and will alert you.

I don't know how often I'm driving through a small town with decreasing speed limits all the way down to 25mph(down from 75) and the GPS doesn't alert me to every incremental decrease, but when I pass a sign, the camera notices and I get immediate feedback. Now sure if the sign is blocked by a truck passing/parked on the right then there's no indication but thats why the GPS is also there, to work in tandem.
And we could what if all day long....what if the sign fell down, or a wildebeest herd knocks it down or octopus inks all over it.....you run over a drive shaft and bend your oil cooler....

Use your eyeballs to see the road, as well as the best technology has to offer.
Just using only GPS or only camera, depending on just your eyes isn't enough. One or the other is an obsolete solution for failure, team work.

1) There is nothing wrong with added accuracy

2) I did not get the Drivers Assistance package with the KAFAS camera so any speed limit information is better than none

3) I have never seen a 75 to 25 transition

4) Depending on your eyes for speed limit information has always been good enough, we have been driving cars for over 100 years and it has worked out pretty good so far

5) If a 149.99 Garmin can output GPS speed limit information so should my car

Look, the speed limit display is neat but not really necessary, my wife's GTi does it and sometimes I check it out as a handy driving aide but it's not the bible. If I thought it was that cool I would have added the drivers assistance package. I didn't and neither did a-LOT of other people. I would like to get the GPS info from the nav to display in the HUD but if not it's not a big deal, I can continue to use my eyes.
      03-06-2015, 05:18 PM   #76
Blksnowflake
Mlightened
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brady1984 View Post
1) There is nothing wrong with added accuracy

2) I did not get the Drivers Assistance package with the KAFAS camera so any speed limit information is better than none

3) I have never seen a 75 to 25 transition

4) Depending on your eyes for speed limit information has always been good enough, we have been driving cars for over 100 years and it has worked out pretty good so far

5) If a 149.99 Garmin can output GPS speed limit information so should my car

Look, the speed limit display is neat but not really necessary, my wife's GTi does it and sometimes I check it out as a handy driving aide but it's not the bible. If I thought it was that cool I would have added the drivers assistance package. I didn't and neither did a-LOT of other people. I would like to get the GPS info from the nav to display in the HUD but if not it's not a big deal, I can continue to use my eyes.
3- Come to Texas and drive from Dallas to Houston or vice versa. You will pass through a dozen small tiny towns where the speed limit goes from, 75mph-60/65-50/55-45-25 and then back up on the other side. But I think you understood as I explained it clearly, "decreasing speed limits" "incremental"...75 to 25 is a safety issue, common sense.

4- Of course depending on your eyes is good, but not good enough. And even you rely on the GPS in the VW, why what's wrong with your eyes and looking.....The point is, the more tools the better. Driver assistance packages in vehicles today come with a lot of safety features that just improve awareness, like blind side protection, an example of when your "eyes" just can't see the vehicle in your blind spot, or back up cameras, very handy for people in giant SUVs. The more tools the better.

In a couple of years, most of these features will be required as standard, using our eyes is good, but it's better with tools to augment awareness.

5-My car does, don't know why yours doesn't...oh wait money right. Of course, see BMW wants you to pay extra for little stupid shit they know we want. They're not dumb but they throw it in a package of other stuff to get more money and make it easier for them to build cars, instead of running around programming one car for this two for that etc...it's easier to just throw it in a package and charge you more. Got to pay to play.
Cheers..
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2015, 01:44 PM   #77
SMC23
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: Subaru XTrek / X5 40e

Does the "M-View" still show the current gear/RPM with Manual Transmission?
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2015, 01:55 PM   #78
ChrisMT79
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F80 M3- Alpine White

I love HUD, but I do not use navigation enough for the regular view. So M view is pretty much all I use. And it's kinda nice having the rev meter and gear with a manual
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2015, 02:07 PM   #79
brianeck
Part Time Firetruck Crash Barrier
Rep
Drives: 2022 M340ix Mineral Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by scanido View Post
Does the "M-View" still show the current gear/RPM with Manual Transmission?
Yes it does. RPMs move up from left to right, and then shift lights come on in blocks over the top as well.

m340ix Mineral Grey/Tacora Red
Appreciate 0