proTUNING Freaks
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

View Poll Results: Which M4 as A Daily Driver?
M4CS 36 32.43%
Loaded M4 Competition 75 67.57%
Voters: 111. You may not vote on this poll

11-16-2018, 03:01 PM   #1
PhillySpecial
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2019 M4 Competition

Which one for a daily driver - M4 CS or M4 ZCP?

Ladies and Gents,

Long-time lurker who finally joined - pleasure to (virtually, at least) meet everyone! Sorry for the new thread; however, I couldn't find much in the way of information regarding the topic.

Anyone here using/planning to use their M4CS as a daily driver, particularly in a snowy climate? I'm currently in a B8.5 RS5 and e92 335i coupe; thinking of trading two-for-one on either a loaded M4 competition pack (with the M performance exhaust, diffuser, carbon spoiler/splitter) or CS (executive pack but no ceramics).

I'm really drawn to the CS; I love San Marino and the wheels, plus the extra bit of power is nice. However, the interior is a bit of a turn-off for me, particularly the fabric door pulls. I'm an ER doc and spend a fair amount of time in the car, and am concerned regarding the long-term comfort of the interior. Not really a tuner, so not planning on doing any performance/other modifications (unless the CS' door pulls can be converted to a "regular" handle).

Friends of mine say that I'm crazy to use the CS as a daily, and that I should just get the competition if I'm planning on using it more days than not.

Any opinions/experiences welcomed, and so nice to be a part of the forum!
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2018, 03:05 PM   #2
CachacoF80
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: San Marino Blue F80 - ZCP 6MT

1. Buy Loaded M4 ZCP.
2. Trade 666s for CS wheels (2-4K out of pocket)
3. Save a lot of money.
4. Travel, invest, mod etc with savings.
Appreciate 1
instarand208.50
      11-16-2018, 03:09 PM   #3
alex2364
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4 ZCP / 2023 X3 M40i

Garage List
2020 BMW M4  [10.00]
2023 BMW X3 M40i  [10.00]
I have a M4 ZCP for DD. M4 CS isn't worth it for me unless you're going to the track.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2018, 03:39 PM   #4
MNhv
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F85 X5M

You mentioned being an ER doc, tbh, I think you're already in the perfect car - the RS5. An all weather beast.
Appreciate 1
sdshah849.00
      11-16-2018, 04:21 PM   #5
ext
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 G05 45e, 2018 F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CachacoF80 View Post
1. Buy Loaded M4 ZCP.
3. Save a lot of money.
Pretty much what I’m doing with my f80 zcp! I get the exterior of a CS, but all the features of the non CS models (center storage, digital center console, etc). I could care less about the weight reduction as it’s my DD, primarily.

The only thing I really like about the CS that might be more difficult to put in a normal f8x is the Alcantara dash.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2018, 04:35 PM   #6
minn19
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 24 Z06, 23 CT4VBW, 22 PFinder

I think either will be just fine. It comes down to which one you like better period IMO.
Appreciate 2
CanAutM321104.50
GERMAN M34176.50
      11-16-2018, 05:35 PM   #7
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
Welcome to the forum

I haven't voted on the poll because either will be just fine as a daily driver.

Now, when asking if the M4cs can serve the 4-season Daily Driver duty, I can attest that it most definitely can.

The whole point of me buying ///M cars since 2001 is for them to serve as dual use cars: practical 4-season daily drivers and track toys. Me getting the M4cs is no different and I've got 2 kids 4 and 7.

The "cheap" looking door cards and the door pulls was one of my two main gripes when I got the car (the other was the lack of comfort access). But I have to say that they have come to grow on me. I like the lightness and simplicity of the interior. There's much more natural mechanical sounds that get into the cabin which enhances the driving experience for me, and the door cards play an important role in that. The car has more rawness and a more direct connection that I did not have with my previous M4 or the M4 comp packs I have test driven. And it is a blast on track, I beat the best time I did with my 2015 M4 by 1.5 seconds on my first time out with the M4cs without even trying hard (and that was on the same tires and wheels).

All that being said, I can't help but feel that the M4cs is grossly overpriced in the US. I paid $83k USD for my LRG M4cs here in Canada, which I find is a reasonable value. But at $100k USD, it's a different story.
Attached Images

Previous cars: M4cs 2019 F82 Limerock Grey / M4 2015 F82 Silverstone / M3 2008 E92 Silverstone / M3 2002 E46 Carbon Black

Last edited by CanAutM3; 11-19-2018 at 05:11 AM..
Appreciate 12
GOLFFRR10722.50
minn1913970.00
BimmerKay196.50
AlterZgo1537.50
SakhirM410783.00
Wills28618.00
khanyam4801.50
GERMAN M34176.50
theoluv21.00
02M3ForMe4255.50
      11-16-2018, 06:07 PM   #8
CachacoF80
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ext View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CachacoF80 View Post
1. Buy Loaded M4 ZCP.
3. Save a lot of money.
Pretty much what I’m doing with my f80 zcp! I get the exterior of a CS, but all the features of the non CS models (center storage, digital center console, etc). I could care less about the weight reduction as it’s my DD, primarily.

The only thing I really like about the CS that might be more difficult to put in a normal f8x is the Alcantara dash.
I have SMB M3 and have not been able to love the silver 666s...maybe they are too silver and together with SMB it pops too much; maybe I should try the black ones ; or maybe they are too busy. Bottom line I like the Orbit Grey ones of the CS but $$$...need to save a bit.
Appreciate 1
      11-16-2018, 08:09 PM   #9
ext
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 G05 45e, 2018 F80 M3

Just responded to your PM, but for others that may be wondering. I ended up ordering the matte black ones from Brit (bmwpartspros) earlier this year. Much cheaper to go that route and just powder coat them to orbit grey, rather than buying the actual CS versions of the 763m wheels
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2018, 08:35 PM   #10
CachacoF80
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Just responded to your PM, but for others that may be wondering. I ended up ordering the matte black ones from Brit (bmwpartspros) earlier this year. Much cheaper to go that route and just powder coat them to orbit grey, rather than buying the actual CS versions of the 763m wheels
Thanks. Is there a spec to match orbit grey or just try to get as close as possible?
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2018, 09:13 PM   #11
Rayers1997
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

get a base m3/4 with all the options you want

get an exhaust system, downpipes and charge pipes

get a good intake system

meth system

upgrade the clutch if it's a manual

tune it

m5 speed in an m3 for less than your spend on the CS
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2018, 09:18 PM   #12
Rayers1997
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

saw the cs models of the 3 and 4 at my dealership while they were looking at the diff bushing the other day. both priced at like 120k. could never spend that on a sub 500hp 3 series
Appreciate 1
      11-17-2018, 07:36 AM   #13
Alpine300zhp
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 24 M4 Comp RWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex2364 View Post
I have a M4 ZCP for DD. M4 CS isn't worth it for me unless you're going to the track.
I agree. Even forum member Can Aut who recently picked up a M4 CS says that there is little to zero difference between the CS and the comp pack on the road. You have to be on the track to see the CS benefits.

Edit: I didn't read the whole thread. I see Can Ant already chimed in with some sage advice.
      11-17-2018, 07:39 AM   #14
Alpine300zhp
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 24 M4 Comp RWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNhv View Post
You mentioned being an ER doc, tbh, I think you're already in the perfect car - the RS5. An all weather beast.
Good point. As much as I love my M cars, I probably would be rolling in an RS5 right now if I still lived up North.
      11-17-2018, 07:59 AM   #15
Poiseuille
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4 DCT Tanzanite/Amaro

Garage List
  [0.00]
  [10.00]
Quote:
good plan...
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
pokerface428.00
CanAutM321104.50
lavon0.00
      11-17-2018, 08:05 AM   #16
FormulaMMM
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillySpecial View Post
However, the interior is a bit of a turn-off for me, particularly the fabric door pulls. I'm an ER doc and spend a fair amount of time in the car, and am concerned regarding the long-term comfort of the interior. Not really a tuner, so not planning on doing any performance/other modifications (unless the CS' door pulls can be converted to a "regular" handle).
The fabric door pulls aren't inconvenient at all. Whether in and out of the car twice per day, or ten times, think they contribute to the "special" interior experience.

The lack of comfort for your left arm on long drives is a problem though, imo. I inevitably end up stuffing a sweatshirt or equivalent over there. Maybe I suffer from tender left elbow.

From the sounds of your post, you better get the CS. It does have that extra bit of cool factor over the Comp, and if you're drawn to it now, that probably won't change.

My guess is that there's going to be a bundle of CS deeply discounted in the not too distant future as well, if you can't steal one already. https://www.bramanbmwjupiter.com/aut...r-fl/30547782/

Other than the door card situation, I can't think of much advantage to an M4 Comp over the CS as a daily driver through four seasons. You'll absolutely need a legit winter wheel + tire setup for both. Comp won't have a wintertime traction advantage. Both have adjustable dampers. Presumably the Comp has slightly more relaxed/softer EDC calibration, but neither will deliver a smooth ride around Philly, so that must not be a high priority for you.

Appreciate 0
      11-17-2018, 08:21 AM   #17
BMW M Power Mexico
First Lieutenant
Mexico
Rep
Drives: E60M5,E821M,F15X5V8

Both can be dailies. The differences in comfort are very minor.

If a CS can be had for a reasonable premium it definitely is way cooler. And (from a reasonable price) may hold its value a bit better.

I paid no more than a 5K premium on my M3 CS over the MSRP of an equivalent comp pack (with CCBs)
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2018, 08:37 AM   #18
PhillySpecial
Enlisted Member
Rep

Thanks a million for all of the replies so far!

MNhv, I do still really enjoy the RS5; mine is a 2013 with just over 20 000 miles (my commute is pretty short), and I've never had to run a winter wheel/tire set - the P Zeros have always been OK with quattro. I would certainly love to keep it, but I'm now out of warranty and our household has another Audi if I need it. So, considering swapping it out, but haven't made a final decision as of yet.

That being said, I've always been a BMW guy and don't love the look of the new G8x series, so I'm very tempted to pull the trigger on an F82 now. The competition and CS aren't that differently priced here (CS is about $12k more than a loaded competition through my longtime dealership). Definitely don't mind the CS' lack of full sound insulation, and I've always though that dual-zone climate control is sort of silly.

It sounds so mundane and absurd, but my big concern is the door pulls! I just don't know how you prevent your door from crashing into whatever you've parked next to when you get out, since there's really nothing to grab onto. If there was a recess in the alcantara pad on the armrest like a "normal" car, it wouldn't be an issue. Drop the window and hold the top of the door sill every time you exit the car?

CanAutM3, you're actually the member that I'd hoped would reply! Your weather isn't all that different from what we get here in Philadelphia - talk to me about your winter setup (wheel/tire combo, etc). And $83k CAD is an amazing price! I'm looking at about $90k USD for the competition with all of the M performance parts vs $102k for the CS with executive.

FormulaMMM, that's definitely what I'm worried about! Buyers' remorse is real, and I don't want to think about the CS every time I sit down in the competition. But, I also don't want my elbow to hurt. Are you rolling in yours during the winter, or do you have a different sled?

Thanks for all of the input - keep it coming!
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2018, 09:00 AM   #19
EricSMG
Captain
Rep
Drives: E46 M3

Quote:
Thanks a million for all of the replies so far!

MNhv, I do still really enjoy the RS5; mine is a 2013 with just over 20 000 miles (my commute is pretty short), and I've never had to run a winter wheel/tire set - the P Zeros have always been OK with quattro. I would certainly love to keep it, but I'm now out of warranty and our household has another Audi if I need it. So, considering swapping it out, but haven't made a final decision as of yet.

That being said, I've always been a BMW guy and don't love the look of the new G8x series, so I'm very tempted to pull the trigger on an F82 now. The competition and CS aren't that differently priced here (CS is about $12k more than a loaded competition through my longtime dealership). Definitely don't mind the CS' lack of full sound insulation, and I've always though that dual-zone climate control is sort of silly.

It sounds so mundane and absurd, but my big concern is the door pulls! I just don't know how you prevent your door from crashing into whatever you've parked next to when you get out, since there's really nothing to grab onto. If there was a recess in the alcantara pad on the armrest like a "normal" car, it wouldn't be an issue. Drop the window and hold the top of the door sill every time you exit the car?

CanAutM3, you're actually the member that I'd hoped would reply! Your weather isn't all that different from what we get here in Philadelphia - talk to me about your winter setup (wheel/tire combo, etc). And $83k CAD is an amazing price! I'm looking at about $90k USD for the competition with all of the M performance parts vs $102k for the CS with executive.

FormulaMMM, that's definitely what I'm worried about! Buyers' remorse is real, and I don't want to think about the CS every time I sit down in the competition. But, I also don't want my elbow to hurt. Are you rolling in yours during the winter, or do you have a different sled?

The CS is ultra cool, no doubt, but the ZCP is a hell of a value and by no means lacking in the 'cool' factor.

That said, at a 12k price delta, the CS is tempting over a loaded ZCP. However! By my rough calcs, a loaded ZCP sans carbon brakes should come in around ~85k mrsp. No one pays msrp for an M4. So once you factor in a dealer discount plus incentives you're probably looking at closer to $78k give or take vehicle price, at most.

Now we're talking a 24k delta, at which point the CS doesn't make sense. Again, the ZCP car is utterly fantastic as a street car, and, looks killer with the dark 666s. Even if you don't like the 666s, you could sell them and get the 763s for not much out of pocket and so, aside from the CS hood, you've got the CS look (the wheels are what set the ZCP and CS cars apart, mainly).

The point here is NOT to take away from the CS. I want one. We all want one. It's cooler, faster and more special. The question is whether or not the real world practical differences make up for the hefty price delta. Small price delta equals no-brainer. Big price delta is reason for pause. Non-CS cars can be had at deep discounts, so shop wisely.

Last edited by EricSMG; 11-17-2018 at 09:10 AM..
Appreciate 1
IB M2765.50
      11-17-2018, 09:11 AM   #20
FormulaMMM
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Honestly, I've never really thought twice about it. Just pull the handle, hold on to it, move the door out with your forearm. I could do a step by step instructional video if need be.

I have a GTS. It's in hibernation. The left arm discomfort only sets in on long drives w/ little to no steering activity, e.g. highway. I don't want to overstate the discomfort, but if you use your left arm rest in the RS5 as a habit, it will probably be something you notice.

You definitely won't be able to navigate PA winter with Cup 2s.

I think meaningfully sub-100k is coming for a new M4 CS. M3 CS is already there. Or pick that one up that I previously linked. San Marino with 97 miles for 89k.

Appreciate 0
      11-17-2018, 09:13 AM   #21
PhillySpecial
Enlisted Member
Rep

EricSMG, great post! The additional money for the ZCP is the carbon M performance parts - splitter/spoiler/diffuser/mirror caps, and (mostly) the M performance exhaust. Even so, the $12k difference seems at least semi-steep on the road...

Edit: FormulaMMM, congratulations on the GTS! I've been paying attention to how much I use the left armrest over the last week or so, and I'd say it's about 50% of the time. Most of my commute is back/two-lane roads without much highway work.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2018, 09:22 AM   #22
FormulaMMM
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Edit: FormulaMMM, congratulations on the GTS! I've been paying attention to how much I use the left armrest over the last week or so, and I'd say it's about 50% of the time. Most of my commute is back/two-lane roads without much highway work.
Then you'll get more enjoyment from the CS alcantara wheel than annoyance from the armrest situation. Go for it!

Appreciate 0