Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M4 GTS Discussions

04-24-2019, 03:34 PM   #1
rdbmwpst
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F90 M5C

M Carbon Compound Wheel Issues

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to handle these? BMW replaced my scored wheel under warranty but I don't want to rely on that since the car warranty will eventually expire.

Carbon fiber scoring is a safety defect. Is there a way to report it?
I asked BMW NA for help through my local service department.
At first I asked for a lifetime warranty in writing. They said they'd give it but then it never came and the dealer wouldn't connect me to BMW NA directly.
Then I got more upset about it and decided they should be willing to take the wheels back. I will even keep the tires, TPMS, center caps if it helps get the refund down.

I bought my wheels during the $9k promotion about a year ago. I understand I'm an idiot for buying these so you don't need to tell me that part.

We have a few BMWs but I still can't seem to get anyone's attention at BMW NA.

Could this be a DOT issue if it involves vehicle safety? I am open to any ideas. I need some strategy advice.

My acid orange wheels score too and I understand that should not happen but it is not a safety issue as it is with carbon.

Thank you
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2019, 05:46 PM   #2
schnell325
Bored at work....
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 F82 M4 GTS//2022 M235iGC

Good luck. you’re fighting a losing battle unfortunately. Have you contacted BMW head office yet? That would be my next step.

I’ve gotten no where with BMW Canada and my 666s ...
Grey Matter:2008 E92 M3:608/425. SG/PS SOLD!
Dark Matter:2015 F80 M3:495/505. SOLD!
Anti Matter :2016 F82 M4 GTS
What next?!? A 2022 M235i GC- I must be getting old
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2019, 01:14 AM   #3
MagicVioletZ1
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 1991 BMW Z1, Ferrari 355,SL600

Quote:
Originally Posted by roddowdell View Post
Does anyone have any suggestions on how to handle these? BMW replaced my scored wheel under warranty but I don't want to rely on that since the car warranty will eventually expire.

At first I asked for a lifetime warranty in writing. They said they'd give it but then it never came and the dealer wouldn't connect me to BMW NA directly.
Then I got more upset about it and decided they should be willing to take the wheels back. I will even keep the tires, TPMS, center caps if it helps get the refund down.

I bought my wheels during the $9k promotion about a year ago. I understand I'm an idiot for buying these so you don't need to tell me that part.

Is there a design defect with these wheels?

Could this be a DOT issue if it involves vehicle safety? I am open to any ideas. I need some strategy advice.

My acid orange wheels score too and I understand that should not happen but it is not a safety issue as it is with carbon.

Thank you
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2019, 03:28 AM   #4
Bluer2
Captain
Rep
Drives: F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicVioletZ1 View Post
No defect just the tolerance is too tight with the 19 inch wheels up front and 6 piston carbon ceramic calipers so smalls rocks get caught in the wheel barrel and score it up.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2019, 08:35 AM   #5
weavingtraffic
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: slow

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [10.00]
1990 Mazda Miata  [0.00]
1985 BMW 325e  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluer2 View Post
No defect just the tolerance is too tight with the 19 inch wheels up front and 6 piston carbon ceramic calipers so smalls rocks get caught in the wheel barrel and score it up.
My car just went in for the 4th brake issue in its 40k mile life. Factory 437m, factory suspension, factory CCBs.

2 front right wheel bearings and 1 left.

Dealer had my car for two weeks, did the wheel bearings and then escalated it to BMW NA.. They came back and said customer should just put on 10-12mm spacers up front and wont have the issue.

Seems like they know and don't care.
Only variable to affect clearance is the wheel bearings, they cant change anything else except for external factors like wheel/spacers/etc.

First iteration CCB probs we're fucked boys.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2019, 09:17 PM   #6
Bashful
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: Some Germans

Quote:
Originally Posted by weavingtraffic View Post
My car just went in for the 4th brake issue in its 40k mile life. Factory 437m, factory suspension, factory CCBs.

2 front right wheel bearings and 1 left.

Dealer had my car for two weeks, did the wheel bearings and then escalated it to BMW NA.. They came back and said customer should just put on 10-12mm spacers up front and wont have the issue.

Seems like they know and don't care.
Only variable to affect clearance is the wheel bearings, they cant change anything else except for external factors like wheel/spacers/etc.

First iteration CCB probs we're fucked boys.

? not talking about this?

Talking about CarbonWheels on the GTS.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2019, 10:37 PM   #7
Boostin FD
Bored all the time
United_States
Rep
Drives: Batmobile

Gt350R has the same issue. Most owners get different wheels, which in my view defeats the purpose of getting an R.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2019, 02:00 AM   #8
Colinv6
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4 comp, Mexico / Opal

Most annoying this is that BMW since 2014 haven’t designed their front 19” wheels to factor for this.

CCB cars have been scoring their wheels since launch, then the GTS did it on the 666M 19” and also the carbon 19”

Then they bring out the CS, with 19’s and 763M which STILL does it! My fronts are scored to hell after 4K miles

Instagram c1_cdg
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2019, 10:31 AM   #9
em4ef82
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4 F82

Quote:
Originally Posted by roddowdell View Post

Thank you
It seems some of the hyper super duper cars might have had similar issues and below is what they did to avoid having their wheels scored I am guessing.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
M3OW!373.00
      06-10-2019, 08:23 AM   #10
Bashful
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: Some Germans

So how high is the concern on this, and what have people done? (has anyone gotten anywhere with it?)
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2019, 07:50 PM   #11
delfunk
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4 GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bashful View Post
So how high is the concern on this, and what have people done? (has anyone gotten anywhere with it?)
I'm sorry you are dealing with this situation. Doesn't surprise me that corporate is not helping you. Seems to be a common thread with GTS owners. They know they built a shit car and don't know how to handle it except ignore us.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2019, 01:18 PM   #12
M3OW!
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 F97 X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by em4ef82 View Post
It seems some of the hyper super duper cars might have had similar issues and below is what they did to avoid having their wheels scored I am guessing.
never noticed that before. great observation (and pics)!
Appreciate 0