Mo Reviews
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

05-31-2023, 02:17 PM   #1
concort
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

brakes for racing

I've been to about a dozen track events now from on track to autocross and i'd like to get some recommendations on brakes. I have an F80 (2018 M3) with 20k miles on it. The rotors are now shot from tracking it. The amount of braking is insane. Stock brakes are fine but is there any recommendations for a better performing brake? Racing pads? Would you recommend just doing the fronts and leave stock on the car? I dont want to do all way around if not necessary. If any recommendations please provide supplier and/or their company name or link to their site.

In addition im hearing (or more specifically, feeling) a rubbing noise/sensation in the front wheels/pads. The pads seem fine but there is a lip above and below the pads on the rotors where the pads touch the rotors... as if the pads sorta ground down into the rotors. Is this bad? The rotors still seem ok but that rubbing is driving me nuts. Also is it still suitable for the track? Would you recommend racing pads and stock rotors? Think i need new front rotors?
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2023, 04:41 PM   #2
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep
Drives: E90M/E92M/M4GTS/M4GT4/X5M

You need race brake pads for sure. I recommend pfc 08 or pfc 11. This is step 0.

The next step is getting rb high temp seals and domed pistons for the stock caliper and getting a proper rotor, like the girodisc front and rear kit.
This option works fine for quite a while.

If you want a race brake kit, the best is the bimmerworld-alcon kit. But real track kits like this don't have dust boots etc and shouldn't be driven in winter.

But be realistic, race kits remind you they are race kits on the street every moment.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2023, 11:58 AM   #3
concort
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

Could I do racing pads on front and leave stock pads on back? That would still benefit me correct?
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2023, 09:14 PM   #4
uncle ben
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 06 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by concort View Post
Could I do racing pads on front and leave stock pads on back? That would still benefit me correct?
I would not recommend that. While the front brakes do the majority of the braking, the rear still work quite hard at the track and will most likely overheat and cause pad deposits/ vibration.
Appreciate 0