EXXEL Distributions
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics

10-31-2016, 07:45 AM   #67
JMon
FAST
Rep
Drives: Porsche GT3 Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWAUDIO View Post
THE Rockford T3-BMW-SUB Is a much better sub but it is more expensive
Just out of curiosity, how do you know the RF T3-BMW-SUB is better? Have you listened to it vs the earthquake?

I'm almost tempted to order both the earthquake and RF and measure what one does best! Send the looser back....

If you were to just go by SPL specifications (dB @ 1w/1m), you might think the RF would be better, but just looking just at the XMax Paramater the SPL at full tilt would easily go to the earthquake. That is a lot of throw difference.

The earthquake is 23mm
The RF is 7mm

That being said, an 8" sub with a 23mm one way excursion is a sight to see. Really, I've never heard of a thin 8" having that much movement. I actually wonder if that is real, or if the spec is fudged? Can anyone confirm that its excursion (min to max) is close to 2 inches? From the pictures, the surround doesn't even look like it would physically work.

If it is real, that throw is simply amazing for such a thin speaker! I would think it would be smacking the grill that goes on top!

.http://www.earthquakeeurope.com/Prod..._manual_US.pdf

There is a paragraph in there that talks about the excursion

Also watch this video seems to suggest it may be real:

Last edited by JMon; 10-31-2016 at 07:59 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2017, 02:17 PM   #68
snowmuch
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 Macan Turbo

Im going to attempt this mod!

actually, Im just going to buy all the parts and have a local shop install it.

So I need:
SWS-8X x2
adapter ring bracket x2
Audio Control LC2I LC2I x1

Is that correct?
      08-24-2017, 04:51 PM   #69
DKX4///M
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X4M CS

Garage List
2020 BMW X4M CS  [0.00]
2016 BMW M2  [0.00]
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
AUDIO CONTROL LCI2 Is the key...i that as a line driver , high-> low converter...key here, may seem obvious but t splice into the stock subwoofer wires coming out of the stock amp, forget colors but the 4 thicker wires 2 pairs twisted...the stock dsp has great crossovers if u grab other wires ur not going to be getting the deep lows...

Also Idk if its been said but if adding aftermarket sub/amp ASD must be coded out...

I never noticed ASD...and I hooked up my stereo...2 RF P3 DVC 12"S 2ohms W Kenwood 3000w 1ohm stable amp. Speakers in dual vented box wired in parallel to 1 ohm.

Hooked it up sounded great...went to drive in sport+ (where ASD Is loudest) and u almost fried my stereo...

Showed me ASD is mostly loud i lower frequencies...so also by disabling asd...ur stock subs will sound better bc they're not wasting power on fake engine noise
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2018, 09:06 PM   #70
cmacclel
Banned
Rep
Drives: Man

I want to add a sub to my M4 convertible and already have both a sub and amp. I would would just need the LCI2. I thought the sub amp was located in the trunk? Does anyone know the wire codes and where I could tap into them instead of running extra wires from the stock woofer locations?

Last edited by cmacclel; 05-07-2018 at 09:12 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2018, 02:43 AM   #71
macs
Private
Italy
Rep
Drives: f31

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmacclel View Post
I want to add a sub to my M4 convertible and already have both a sub and amp. I would would just need the LCI2. I thought the sub amp was located in the trunk? Does anyone know the wire codes and where I could tap into them instead of running extra wires from the stock woofer locations?
See attached picture, it's in italian but colors are universal...
You can find this cables in the big amplifier connector in the trunk.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-19-2018, 09:46 AM   #72
lracerk
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M4

will this fit? : Rockford Fosgate P3SD4-8
It can be it has two drivers and can be connected as 8Ohms.
Is it true that the AMP then will not heat up and eventually get destroyed if I go down this path?
https://www.crutchfield.com/p_575P3S....html?tp=68848
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2018, 02:44 PM   #73
lracerk
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M4

I'm just trying to avoid putting together another AMP.
Is it possible to install a higher watt wirebound resistor in series with the SWS-8X x2 to achive impedence that matches the oem amp?
Here is the wirebound resistor.
https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail...gEbY%2fg%3d%3d
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2018, 05:12 PM   #74
BIGW0RM
You got my money?
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Ice Cream Truck

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatheheck View Post
Here you go for sharing in case anyone is interested.

First things first. Some notes and disclaimers:

I am posting for sharing in case anyone wants to do the same upgrade here is the information you need to make your upgrade easier for you.
I am not posting asking for your approval or whether you like this mod or not, or want to engage on a debate with anyone about their own stereo system. Just sharing information. So please keep criticisms to yourself. Remember always, to each his own.
Your car so do whatever makes you happy.

Do this mod at your risk and please dont blame for anything.

Now that we got that out of the way.
Purchase my 2015 M4 new 3 months ago now. Even though I have the Harman Kardon option, it appears one thing BMW still needs to improve is their stereo system as I had the same issue on my 2001 M5, 2006 M6 and 2009 M6 DIRAC system.

Midrange and Tweeter speaker / drivers:
Harman Kardon makes very good amp but their speakers are dull and lifeless sounding in my opinion at low to medium volume. When driven hard they are harsh sounding.

So I upgraded all my speakers to BSW. Done. Now the sound is smooth and clean even at high volume. Thanks to BSW for making drop in great sounding speakers.

Subwoofer:
The stock subwoofer I am also not happy with. It is boomy and not as tight as I want it to be.
I thought it may be the stock HK amp so I installed an aftermarket 300W subwoofer amp to drive the stock subs. I learned that the stock subs are powerful enough to handle 300W watts but they are still boomy. I want a tight punchy sounding subs so time to get it replaced as the lower end is the only part lacking now to make a great sounding car stereo system.

When I do upgrades I try to make it as stock looking as possible. I dont like to cut and hack my car. That's just me.

My experience also with subwoofers says the best location is under the seat so I can actually not just hear the bass but also feel it. Also when installed in the trunk I had to crank it up so loud before I can hear the subs inside the cabin.

I just want a better sounding and more powerful subwoofer. I am not aiming for subwoofers that people can hear 2 miles down the road and the entire car is rattling.

So I did numerous reading and searches and learned that SWS makes a drop in replacement for our M4 and reviews are very high and they are priced very reasonable so I thought I'd try them.

http://www.earthquakesound.eu/car-au...rs/sws-8x.aspx

I also learned I need an adapter spacer to accommodate the stock connector.

Here you go:
Subwoofer - perfect fit: Earthquake Sound SWS-8X, 4 Ohms:
Specifications:
• Model: SWS-8X
Size: 8" high performance sub
• Freq resp: 20-300Hz
• Max Power: 300W
• RMS Power: 150W
• Impedance: 4Ω
• Sensitivity: 86.7dB

For our F82 M4 you will need the adapter ring bracket:
http://earthquakesound.eu/car-audio/...s/r8-sws-.aspx

I ordered subwoofer and brackets here.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-Earthquake.../181403219896?

They are also available at Amazon.

For amplifier I used a spare subwoofer amp I had in my garage. Its a Sony XM-1S capable of producing up to 900 watts peak at 2 ohms. They dont make this anymore and its an outstanding subwoofer amp for the price. I think I paid $199.00 for this Sony XM-1S three years ago for my M6 but never had a chance to install it.

If you want a small subwoofer amp I highly recommend the JBL GTO-751EZ Monoblock. I used JBL GTO amp in my Ferrari 360 and it sounded awesome. You can find this Amp in Amazon or Sonic Electronix. Just do a search and read user and professional reviews.

Aiming again for clean installation I installed my subwoofer amp under the rear deck. Photos coming soon.

The most important part once you get the subs and subwoofer amp installed is fine tuning the settings of the subwoofer amp. You should aim for nice clean, undistorted, tight bass sound. So amp settings is very critical.

First thing to do is to set your stereo bass and treble to FLAT / Middle setting.
Do the same for EQ. Set it all flat.

Set your subwoofer amp gain to its lowest setting. Set your LPF to around 80 Hz. Then play music or audio test CD and slowly adjust your subwoofer amp gain until the subs blends with the rest of the speaker system or slightly above.

I also dont recommend using the subwoofer amps Bass Boost. I recommend you set this at its lowest setting or turn it off. Bass boost only muddies up the sound and promotes distortion at high volume.

You can follow Crutchfields guide to setting subwoofer amp here:
hhttp://www.crutchfield.com/S-KoBBIlVND64/learn/car/subwoofers/tuning.html

If you buy the JBL GTO amplifier it will come with a test CD. Use the test CD to set the optimum gain of your subwoofer amp. This makes the subwoofer amp gain setting so much easier. Just follow the instructions on your subwoofer amp on how to use the test sound CD.

Once the subwoofer amp gain is set to your liking you can play around with your car stereo EQ for the sound that best suits your taste of music. Once the EQ is set, I suggest you leave that alone and just start enjoying your outstanding stereo system. You can do tweaks from here on using your bass and treble adjustments as some recordings lack bass and/or highs.

Hope that helps.

Summary:
Original HK Amp driving the 14 midrange and tweeters.
Midrange and tweeters upgraded to BSW stage 1 kit.
Two subwoofers made by SWS. Model SWS-8X. (4 ohms each)
Subwoofer power amp I used Sony XM-1S. 500W RMS @ 2ohms. 290W at 4Ohms.

Photos and video clip coming soon. What a difference.

I can crank up my stereo now and it sounds like Im watching a live concert and I am in the middle seat in front of the stage. Nice, clean, tight and powerful sound.

I close my car windows and you can barely hear the stereo outside (this is my preference as I prefer not to disturb other people)

Some notes about me, I am no expert, I just know a little bit. I am an electrical engineer for an aerospace company. We design the installation of In Flight Entertainment Systems.
I installed car stereos and car alarms while in college. I have done most of my electrical upgrades in all my cars, I am a moderator in M5/M6 board.

Hope this helps some of you. Photos and video clip coming soon.

Oops, I almost forgot, one tip - the subwoofer adapter ring is made of plastic so during installation DO NOT OVERTIGHTEN the screws. Ask me how I know

Dan

You attached the stock subs to an amp and it didnt blow or anything? Two 7.2ohm subs on a 4/2/1 ohm amp ok to do?
      01-20-2019, 10:40 PM   #75
Budget M3
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkhan9865 View Post
will this fit? : Rockford Fosgate P3SD4-8
It can be it has two drivers and can be connected as 8Ohms.
Is it true that the AMP then will not heat up and eventually get destroyed if I go down this path?
https://www.crutchfield.com/p_575P3S....html?tp=68848
The P3SD4-8 has two VOICE COILS, each of which has a 4 ohm resistance, and a SINGLE driver. It is possible to wire it so that the HK amp sees an 8 ohm load. You will want to wire the two voice coils in series in order to achieve this.
Attached Images

'85 M635CSi Alpine w/buffalo; '03 M3 Conv, Imola
‘85 323i Baur; ‘02 X5 4.6is Estoril; ‘95 Racing Dynamics K30.4
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2019, 08:02 PM   #76
pmom3
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW M3(F80)

Can I add a powered sub via speaker level inputs?

It sounds like I can tap into the subwoofer connections on the HK factory wire harness in the trunk. Has anyone done this and figured out exactly which wires to use? Which one is the turn on wire?
I am trying to connect a powered subwoofer.
https://www.crutchfield.com/p_575P30...10.html?tp=114
Crutchfield sent me a harness diagram but it doesn’t match my F80 at all.

Is it better to connect this using one of the harnesses I see or just pay someone to do it?
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2019, 01:47 PM   #77
DKX4///M
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW X4M CS  [0.00]
2016 BMW M2  [0.00]
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmom3 View Post
It sounds like I can tap into the subwoofer connections on the HK factory wire harness in the trunk. Has anyone done this and figured out exactly which wires to use? Which one is the turn on wire?
I am trying to connect a powered subwoofer.
https://www.crutchfield.com/p_575P30...10.html?tp=114
Crutchfield sent me a harness diagram but it doesn’t match my F80 at all.

Is it better to connect this using one of the harnesses I see or just pay someone to do it?
Yes...they are the two sets of same colored thicker wires one with a stripe one solid...running a ton of power to my sub and have a kenwood 1ohm stable amp that has been goin hard for 4000 miles....stock speakers keep up fine i m o....maybe i will add bvsound maybe even an eq but very happy with my single dvc 12" p3 in a vented 1.5 cu ft box and almost 3000 rms @1 ohm
      04-10-2019, 04:07 PM   #78
DKX4///M
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW X4M CS  [0.00]
2016 BMW M2  [0.00]
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
There aren't any generic amps that will last through 30V spikes, even if the Impedance is much lower....BUT A good LOC, Line Driver, DSP can turn high level inputs into low level and fill in missing audio informtion s well s other features....I Use Audio Control Products...The LCi2 works insnely well to prevent roll off and open ur options....That with the Hifonics Bass Restortion processor....Im anal with audio and very happy...ppl cant believe I only have one P3 12" DVC wired to 1 ohm with a 1 ohm stble 2000watt RMS Kenwood Amp....Also spray insulted the trunk...only draw down is i need to leave 1 or both back seats down or you barely hear the bass...And had to fix a few rattles...
      04-01-2020, 11:39 PM   #79
TayF80
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 CP '17

would you recommend the SWS subs replacements to be 4 ohm or 2 ohm?
and would you go with a Class D amplifier (mono, 2ch)? How much power you think?
I read the subs there go to 200hz and most class D amps go to 150, would this have a huge sound gap?
M3 CP '17 444hp
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2020, 07:17 AM   #80
Faisalbhutta
Private
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

I am trying to get an Audison DMI and an Audison F8.9 Amplifier...

What harness is required to hook this up in place of my OEM HK amplifier.....Any advise would be appreciated...
Appreciate 1
      05-22-2020, 10:57 PM   #81
TayF80
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 CP '17

Do you have a vid?
Are you still running that sony amp?
Did you end up doing an LOC?

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatheheck View Post
Hi,

I didnt need an LOC as the Sony subwoofer amp I used takes speaker level inputs. Most amps now I see takes speaker level inputs. And I recommend finding a subwoofer amp that takes speaker level inputs so that you wont have to use a line output converter. Direct feed to the amp in my opinion is better.

I havent had time yet to shoot video but the sound is amazing.

I took my car to work today. Did a demo to my fellow engineers and they were all blown away on how great my stereo system now sounds. (They heard my stereo before with stock subs)

Since the stock HK amp now no longer drives the subs the sound to the mids and tweets are super clean even at very high volume as there is no longer the subs eating most of the power output.

Hope that helps

Dan
M3 CP '17 444hp
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2020, 12:05 PM   #82
max80
Rep
Drives: BMW F80

may i ask if anyone had done HK retrofit based in a HIFI system?

using all the upgraded speakers?
Appreciate 1
      06-22-2020, 10:42 AM   #83
kmathon219
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 (F80)

Hello,

I recently upgraded the factory amp to JL for the interior speakers and added JL subs and JL amp for the sub. sound is great and clean! only issue i am having is the GONG/PDC sound is too loud. Are you experiencing any of this? I turned it down on the HU -5 but still too loud as the speakers are powered with AMP.

any advise?
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2020, 05:13 AM   #84
JMon
FAST
Rep
Drives: Porsche GT3 Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmathon219 View Post
Hello,

I recently upgraded the factory amp to JL for the interior speakers and added JL subs and JL amp for the sub. sound is great and clean! only issue i am having is the GONG/PDC sound is too loud. Are you experiencing any of this? I turned it down on the HU -5 but still too loud as the speakers are powered with AMP.

any advise?
What jl subs did you use? Under seat replacement or in the trunk?
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2020, 10:53 PM   #85
thestimp
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 22 X3MC MBB - C-17 Globemaster

Garage List
2022 X3mC  [10.00]
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmathon219 View Post
Hello,

any advise?
Code them out, you dont even need them.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2020, 07:12 PM   #86
LVI
BMW Veteran
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

if any of you want to get rid of your HK amp after you go through with an upgrade to aftermarket, let me know. My factory HK amp just shit the bed and i'm on the hunt for a replacement. My amp has 9393194 on the label, part #65129393194.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2021, 02:33 PM   #87
M4drift
Private
Rep
Drives: 15' M4 MPE, DCT, Carbon galore

If anyone is interested in doing this with a Bavsound and aftermarket amp/sub setup. I have everything for sale brand new and at a serious discount here: https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...5#post28145995

thanks
Appreciate 0