ARMA SPEED
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB | Recalls

11-22-2021, 05:05 AM   #45
mattyc
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by VChenz View Post
just an update, dealer saw the codes, unplugged the valvetronic motor, cleaned out the plug and reset the codes. kept the car overnight and the codes didnt come back after being driven 70km and a couple cold starts. So far so good, even with a few WOT pulls.

i had the valve cover gasket replaced a couple weeks ago so i am not sure if they maybe knocked it loose then but i did get saddled with the diagnostic bill as no parts were replaced
I'm getting the 'valvetronic ticking' from time to time and interested in this post.

'unplugged the valvetronic motor, cleaned out the plug and reset the codes' - any idea where this plug lives? Would like to try this before going down th ereplacement route.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2021, 05:07 AM   #46
mattyc
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Worth noting I am out of warranty as well so want to cover all bases before replacing parts.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2021, 12:58 PM   #47
GreyblackM4
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by chetman7 View Post
So I tested it again and left my car off the charger for 48 hours and it made the noise again.
I placed my car on the ctek charger and waited til it was charged and the noise stopped

Guess my noise must be different as it's linked to the battery somehow
I just had the exact same issue, ticking noise on mine when unlocking/locking the car, then plugged the battery tender in, let the battery charge to full, and then the ticking was gone when locking/unlocking. Did you ever figure out why yours was ticking and what it has to do with the battery?
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2021, 01:04 PM   #48
G35POPPEDMYCHERRY
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80

its comes and goes since delivery, dont worry about it
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2021, 02:22 PM   #49
chetman7
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyblackM4 View Post
I just had the exact same issue, ticking noise on mine when unlocking/locking the car, then plugged the battery tender in, let the battery charge to full, and then the ticking was gone when locking/unlocking. Did you ever figure out why yours was ticking and what it has to do with the battery?
I did not as I was getting it ready for winter storage. It's been on the tender ever since and have not heard it. But I feel confident if I took it off the tender for several days they noise will come back. I ran it for codes and there wasn't any of concern. Not sure how it's linked to battery voltage ,but if it's only reproducible under those circumstances I'm not worried about it being a valvetronic issue
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2024, 05:35 PM   #50
BimmerBimmerChickenDinner
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 F82

Quote:
Originally Posted by chetman7 View Post
I did not as I was getting it ready for winter storage. It's been on the tender ever since and have not heard it. But I feel confident if I took it off the tender for several days they noise will come back. I ran it for codes and there wasn't any of concern. Not sure how it's linked to battery voltage ,but if it's only reproducible under those circumstances I'm not worried about it being a valvetronic issue
My M4 has just recently began to show some valvetronic errors also and makes the dreaded woodpecker noise when I unlock the doors etc, I also found that mine completely stopped for a few days after I tightened my battery cable connections but then reappeared a few days later when I went to unlock the car, very weird...Might try keeping my battery topped up and seeing if that helps!
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2024, 09:29 AM   #51
headstart101
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 MG M4

Recently installed a new OEM valvetronic motor on my M4. Took about 4 hours total DIY.

Last edited by headstart101; 03-12-2024 at 09:35 AM..
Appreciate 0