Mo Reviews
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics

05-23-2018, 10:59 PM   #1
DanMpower
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3s and a Red VW

Just finished upgrading my M3 to touchscreen.

Easiest RETROFIT ever. Hardware side, all you need is a new 2018+ touchscreen and that's it. Everything works, including your original display cable. Probably took me 10 minutes for the swap.

Easy steps.
1: Pop off vent trim
2: Unscrew two T20 screws holding the screen in
3: Unplug the original screen
4: Reverse the install

Then have it coded and you're all set! This only applies to 2017 and up cars since you need NBT2 EVO to run ID6 for touch. This mod makes using Apple CarPlay so much better, navigating the menu is awesome and feels great with touch.

What you'll need.

Here is mine in action.
Appreciate 3
      05-24-2018, 11:55 AM   #2
outatime e46
Private
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80

Biggest question(s) for me: where did you find the 2018 touchscreen and how much was it?
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2018, 12:07 PM   #3
alex2364
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4 ZCP / 2023 X3 M40i

Garage List
2020 BMW M4  [10.00]
2023 BMW X3 M40i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by outatime e46 View Post
Biggest question(s) for me: where did you find the 2018 touchscreen and how much was it?
Even bigger question: Why would you want finger prints on your screen?
Appreciate 8
Encanto1161.00
Aaaaaaaaa7559.00
MadZarBMR712.00
stormlv928.00
PhatLyfe984.00
      05-24-2018, 12:21 PM   #4
materialdistractions
Lieutenant
Philippines
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1499221
      05-24-2018, 03:40 PM   #5
DanMpower
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex2364 View Post
Even bigger question: Why would you want finger prints on your screen?
While navigating through the menus I can see it isn’t really necessary but if you use Apple CarPlay a lot there’s no going back after using it with touch. I keep a microfiber cloth for a quick wipe down, works out great!
Appreciate 1
      05-24-2018, 03:43 PM   #6
DanMpower
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
You can find them on eBay for between $600-700 from sellers overseas, dealer wants like $2500+
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2018, 04:04 PM   #7
Aaaaaaaaa
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: The other M3

My car has a touchscreen. Who knew?
Appreciate 1
      05-24-2018, 07:04 PM   #8
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 18 F82 M4 ZCP Black/Black

Must be sn m3 thing, my dec build '18 m4 does not have a touch screen?
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2018, 07:20 PM   #9
Ian1973
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 15 M3

Cool but can't stand fingerprints.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2018, 08:45 PM   #10
qmp
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 15F80

Custom cut anti-glare/fingerprint screen protector
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2018, 06:29 AM   #11
Nonopr01
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M3

What coding was involve to make it work?
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2018, 09:11 AM   #12
moonluv810
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW X3, 2018 BMW M3, 2022

Fingerprints? Easy to clean...
You're welcome!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0744...RRRN8NWD&psc=1
Appreciate 1
      05-25-2018, 09:21 AM   #13
BigDog
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: YMB F80

How easy is it to update to idrive 6
      05-30-2018, 10:18 AM   #14
f80er
Banned
Rep
Drives: An M3

Stupidest thing BMW ever did was make that a touch screen. I could understand if it was lower/closer to the driver. But with my seat back its a pain to reach for it.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2018, 10:38 AM   #15
jmciver
///M SubDriver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3, 2020 X7 40i

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [10.00]
2020 BMW X7  [0.00]
2019 BMW X3  [0.00]
2009 BMW 128i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by f80er View Post
Stupidest thing BMW ever did was make that a touch screen. I could understand if it was lower/closer to the driver. But with my seat back its a pain to reach for it.
Aww c'mon Drew, your arms are not that short .

I actually just ordered an OEM touchscreen for a retrofit. It is part of a project I have been waiting to do for a while but was waiting for a viable touchscreen option to become available (and for the right price).

X3 XDrive 30i - 2019 G01 Mineral White (wife's) / 128i 6MT - 2009 E82 Jet Black (son's)
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2018, 12:04 PM   #16
G35POPPEDMYCHERRY
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonluv810 View Post
Fingerprints? Easy to clean...
You're welcome!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0744...RRRN8NWD&psc=1
cant believe this is actually a product
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2018, 02:21 PM   #17
f80er
Banned
Rep
Drives: An M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmciver View Post
Aww c'mon Drew, your arms are not that short .

I actually just ordered an OEM touchscreen for a retrofit. It is part of a project I have been waiting to do for a while but was waiting for a viable touchscreen option to become available (and for the right price).
Haha, but my seat is waaaaaay back. Here's a pic:

Curious if you end up using the touch feature after the retrofit.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2018, 04:39 PM   #18
jmciver
///M SubDriver
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [10.00]
2020 BMW X7  [0.00]
2019 BMW X3  [0.00]
2009 BMW 128i  [0.00]
So I just completed this retrofit and I will second just how easy it is to swap the monitors. You just don't want to go too fast because it would really suck if you dropped one of the screws into the dash or accidentally scratched your trim pieces during removal or installation.

The coding is very simple and I was able to do it myself using the BimmerCode app in Expert Mode. The parameters that require changing are in the NBT_EVO ECU. You can use the search function in BimmerCode to easily find these parameters as there are a lot of them in this ECU. The following parameters require changing:

1) HMI_ID_VERSION: id6_light
2) CID_TOUCH: aktiv (Active)
3) CID_HMI_TOUCH: aktiv (Active)

For those of you that have ID6 Lite coded (as I did) you should already have the first parameter set. The next two parameters will need to be changed. After you code everything and the headunit reboots, you will know the touch screen is recognized when you see the little "3 square" symbol in the upper left corner of the screen (see the video from the OP above).

How do I like it so far? So far so good, but it is still a bit early I guess as I have only played around with it for a bit in my garage after the install and coding. I do see how the distance of the screen makes using it more cumbersome while driving as I do have to lean forward a bit to use it - but maybe that is not a bad thing from a driving safety perspective . I think the ID6 GUI definitely lends itself to touch and there is some functionality that I discovered that is unique to the touchscreen. However, most iDrive functionality is the same between the touchscreen and the iDrive controller. But I like having different options to control the headhunt, which will be a mix of voice (with Siri and BMW), the controller and now the touchscreen.

Where I think the touchscreen really shines the most is with using CarPlay. In it's current form CarPlay is a bit of a disappointment to me (as many others have posted about on the forums) due to the lack of supported apps. However, the touchscreen makes using it much easier IMHO as CarPlay essentially mirrors the iPhone - which of course is based on a touch interface. Next step for me is to jailbreak my iPhone, which can unlock ALL of the apps for use with CarPlay with a special app. This is what I am really after (using different iPhone apps) and without a touchscreen, using iPhone apps not originally designed for CarPlay may not work well (or at all) with the iDrive controller.

So I am glad I did it, and the ability to use all iPhone apps (with a jailbroken iPhone) is better than any other aftermarket touchscreen solution on the market right now IMHO. Of course, I would not have done this if it were not for the great price on the screen (thanks LloydChristmas ). As much as I like the new functionality, I would not have paid $2k+ for a new OEM screen from the dealer ...!!!

Oh yeah, and the finger prints/smudges do really suck. So the screen protector is the next mod on the list....

X3 XDrive 30i - 2019 G01 Mineral White (wife's) / 128i 6MT - 2009 E82 Jet Black (son's)

Last edited by jmciver; 05-31-2018 at 04:44 PM..
Appreciate 1
      05-31-2018, 11:05 PM   #19
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 / AH3

Quote:
So I just completed this retrofit and I will second just how easy it is to swap the monitors. You just don't want to go too fast because it would really suck if you dropped one of the screws into the dash or accidentally scratched your trim pieces during removal or installation.

The coding is very simple and I was able to do it myself using the BimmerCode app in Expert Mode. The parameters that require changing are in the NBT_EVO ECU. You can use the search function in BimmerCode to easily find these parameters as there are a lot of them in this ECU. The following parameters require changing:

For those of you that have ID6 Lite coded (as I did) you should already have the first parameter set. The next two parameters will need to be changed. After you code everything and the headunit reboots, you will know the touch screen is recognized when you see the little "3 square" symbol in the upper left corner of the screen (see the video from the OP above).

How do I like it so far? So far so good, but it is still a bit early I guess as I have only played around with it for a bit in my garage after the install and coding. I do see how the distance of the screen makes using it more cumbersome while driving as I do have to lean forward a bit to use it - but maybe that is not a bad thing from a driving safety perspective . I think the ID6 GUI definitely lends itself to touch and there is some functionality that I discovered that is unique to the touchscreen. However, most iDrive functionality is the same between the touchscreen and the iDrive controller. But I like having different options to control the headhunt, which will be a mix of voice (with Siri and BMW), the controller and now the touchscreen.

Where I think the touchscreen really shines the most is with using CarPlay. In it's current form CarPlay is a bit of a disappointment to me (as many others have posted about on the forums) due to the lack of supported apps. However, the touchscreen makes using it much easier IMHO as CarPlay essentially mirrors the iPhone - which of course is based on a touch interface. Next step for me is to jailbreak my iPhone, which can unlock ALL of the apps for use with CarPlay with a special app. This is what I am really after (using different iPhone apps) and without a touchscreen, using iPhone apps not originally designed for CarPlay may not work well (or at all) with the iDrive controller.

So I am glad I did it, and the ability to use all iPhone apps (with a jailbroken iPhone) is better than any other aftermarket touchscreen solution on the market right now IMHO. Of course, I would not have done this if it were not for the great price on the screen (thanks LloydChristmas ). As much as I like the new functionality, I would not have paid $2k+ for a new OEM screen from the dealer ...!!!

Oh yeah, and the finger prints/smudges do really suck. So the screen protector is the next mod on the list....
A loaner I had last month had CarPlay and touchscreen.

I used it exactly once over 3 weeks as it was so awkward to reach.

Between my 10.2” non-touch screen and a much smaller touchscreen, I’ll take the 10.2” screen any day of the week.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2018, 02:39 AM   #20
DanMpower
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Hey JMCIVER, glad you got it working easily. I ordered the glass screen protector moonluv810 linked on Amazon, got it and installed it yesterday. Works fantastic at rejecting fingerprints, I hardly get any now unless my fingers are really greasy and even then it's hardly noticeable. It also wipes clean much easier as well, definitely order it.

Went on a small road trip the other day and the wife was playing with the touchscreen the whole time, switching tracks, scrolling through Pandora, selecting songs ect. She really enjoyed using the touch interface over the iDrive controller. So much more easier in CarPlay. I'm really liking your idea about jailbreaking the iPhone and allowing other apps in CarPlay. I'll have to look into it.

Last edited by DanMpower; 06-01-2018 at 02:46 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2018, 06:18 AM   #21
jmciver
///M SubDriver
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [10.00]
2020 BMW X7  [0.00]
2019 BMW X3  [0.00]
2009 BMW 128i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by IK6SPEED View Post
A loaner I had last month had CarPlay and touchscreen.

I used it exactly once over 3 weeks as it was so awkward to reach.

Between my 10.2" non-touch screen and a much smaller touchscreen, I'll take the 10.2" screen any day of the week.
Had a similar, but slightly opposite experience a few weeks ago as well when my wife had a new 5-series loaner with 10.2" touchscreen... I was skeptical of the touchscreen integration after a lot of negative press on the forums, but the gadget guy in me really liked it . And this is just using the BMW side since I did not link to CarPlay in the loaner.

However, what was a bit of a let down to me was the size increase - first time I had seen a 10.2" monitor in the flesh. To me, the size increase was nice, but still not as "impressive" as I thought it would be - definitely not worth the effort to physically modify it (i.e. cut/trim it or the dash) to get it to fit properly IMHO. I don't think my OCD could take it. Different strokes I guess....

Regardless of monitor selection, I think OEM is definitely the way to go - especially if you can get a good price that is competitive with aftermarket units. All of the aftermarket units I have seen seem to have very "buggy" software and I question the hardware reliability after several months of sun/heat sitting on the dash.

Appreciate 0
      06-01-2018, 06:22 AM   #22
jmciver
///M SubDriver
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [10.00]
2020 BMW X7  [0.00]
2019 BMW X3  [0.00]
2009 BMW 128i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by LloydChristmas View Post
Quote:

Hey JMCIVER, glad you got it working easily. I ordered the glass screen protector moonluv810 linked on Amazon, got it and installed it yesterday. Works fantastic at rejecting fingerprints, I hardly get any now unless my fingers are really greasy and even then it's hardly noticeable. It also wipes clean much easier as well, definitely order it.

Went on a small road trip the other day and the wife was playing with the touchscreen the whole time, switching tracks, scrolling through Pandora, selecting songs ect. She really enjoyed using the touch interface over the iDrive controller. So much more easier in CarPlay. I'm really liking your idea about jailbreaking the iPhone and allowing other apps in CarPlay. I'll have to look into it.
Glad to hear that screen protector worked out as I know not all screen protectors are created equal based on my iPhone experience. And I was not finding too many vendors that offered a screen protector for the 8.8" CID.

Appreciate 0