European Auto Source (EAS)
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3/M4 versus...

01-04-2021, 08:25 AM   #1255
ZCD1
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Tesla Model 3 Performance

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmk08 View Post
Now I feel like I need to go sit in them both again and provide pictures.
Ha, no!

You didn’t feel comfortable, which is all that matters for you.
Appreciate 1
dmk087315.00
      01-05-2021, 07:46 PM   #1256
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

Model 3 has got a more slanted B pillar and the crossbar between the 2 glass panes.

Depending on how your head orients, it can feel more claustrophobic because of the closeness of those things

Another example is the second row of model X. Your head is surrounded by the upper door frame.

Technically there can be more head room in tesla or any other car but it might not play out that way.

dmk08 maybe the Tesla pickup will work out headroom wise.

The model s plaid with 1100+Hp tri motor setup is up for order (1/4 mile in the 8s!) and hopefully that power train will trickle over to cybertruck tri motor too
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2021, 03:05 PM   #1257
blinkme323
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 CS

Has anyone made the move to a Model Y Performance from an F80? I'm moving to something a little bigger than my F80 and I'm stuck on either the X3M or the Model Y P.

I'm actually leaning slightly towards the Y right now and I just want to do a sanity check here before I make the jump. I'm excited, yet scared lol
      03-20-2021, 12:11 AM   #1258
Andrae26
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Sakhir M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkme323 View Post
Has anyone made the move to a Model Y Performance from an F80? I'm moving to something a little bigger than my F80 and I'm stuck on either the X3M or the Model Y P.

I'm actually leaning slightly towards the Y right now and I just want to do a sanity check here before I make the jump. I'm excited, yet scared lol
The model is pretty much the same size as you F80. The back seats are really tiny. A car seat is a tight fit in there. I was thinking of getting one for my wife and we test drove it, ultimately we decide on a X5.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2021, 09:59 AM   #1259
M370z
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 370z

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrae26 View Post
The model is pretty much the same size as you F80. The back seats are really tiny. A car seat is a tight fit in there. I was thinking of getting one for my wife and we test drove it, ultimately we decide on a X5.
The Model Y interior is significantly bigger than the X3. Cargo space too IIRC. X5, yeah I agree that is just a different animal size wise.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2021, 07:17 AM   #1260
ZCD1
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:

If you need the space and are interested in the EV experience the Model Y Performance is a heck of a car...
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2021, 07:06 AM   #1261
BMWsully
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZCD1 View Post
Quote:

If you need the space and are interested in the EV experience the Model Y Performance is a heck of a car...
Agreed. I have an MYP in the garage and IMO it is the best all-around car for the money right now. It's that damn good.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2021, 03:54 PM   #1262
CT_M3
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 DCT Competition

For those of you who own Teslas: PSA Link

https://www.roadandtrack.com/news/a3...lly-dangerous/
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2021, 06:52 PM   #1263
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Comp Indv

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by CT_M3 View Post
For those of you who own Teslas: PSA Link

https://www.roadandtrack.com/news/a3...lly-dangerous/
yeeeaaahhhh, I think you have to take all things Tesla with a grain of salt, because there's also this:

Personally I'm glad someone is pushing the envelope because I like cars so I think it's pretty cool, but I'm also a bear when it comes to FSD, autonomous driving, etc and wouldn't use them. Also, there's no Tesla I'd consider, but then I don't need a daily driver for family duty short hops - if I did a model Y seems like the right buy vs a mini-van.
Appreciate 2
MFNATIK3487.00
BMWsully162.00
      03-29-2021, 07:05 PM   #1264
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
, but I'm also a bear when it comes to FSD, autonomous driving, etc and wouldn't use them. Also, there's no Tesla I'd consider, but then I don't need a daily driver for family duty short hops - if I did a model Y seems like the right buy vs a mini-van.
Haha yea, it really should be marketed as “distance maintaining cruise control with lane centering assist”

If you keep the capability limits in mind and have a commute with traffic on marked roads, it’s super helpful.

Keep waiting as long as it takes to get yourself comfortable. the tech will get better and better and more manuf will pile in and boundaries will be pushed, for our (consumer) benefit.

And in meantime get some of the super powered gas cars and trucks while they exist
Appreciate 1
GrussGott18113.00
      03-29-2021, 08:54 PM   #1265
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Comp Indv

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicknaz View Post
Keep waiting as long as it takes to get yourself comfortable. the tech will get better and better and more manuf will pile in and boundaries will be pushed, for our (consumer) benefit.
+1 - on autonomous driving my controversial 2¢ is that the tech is done, now we're waiting for the product ... this is similar to AI in 1980: the tech was done, e.g., backprop, but the hardware didn't exist at a price to make a product.

In the case of autonomous driving you've got a number of limiting factors: chip cost, power, cooling, sensor costs, et al and the software method around them.

It's complex because humans operate at typically five 9s of accuracy, i.e., ability to recognize a stoplight and stop in time at the right place ... and each 9 of accuracy is about 100x > complexity than the one before it, so the trick is figuring out how to make that job easier ...

There seem to be 2 general approaches to AD:

(1.) More sensors: use a combination of lidar, cameras, et al to gather more real-time information and up the probability of making the right call. Companies like Waymo are going this route.

(2.) More data: use monocular cameras and rely on a repetitive loop of situational analysis, based on huge data feeds, to refine the path to the right call. Companies like Tesla and wave.ai are going this route.

The interesting thing about the 2nd approach is, once it works, it'll suddenly work everywhere ... however the question is where will it be?

I think Tesla and others will try to bake it into autos as a recurring revenue stream, but will most consumers what it? Musk apparently values it @ $100,000 over the avg life of a Tesla ... will consumers? That's where I'm doubtful ... personally I can't see it for myself as I don't even like adaptive cruise control, but that's me. (and I DEFINITELY don't like my car steering for me!)

Where I can see AD being huge is ride hailing, public transport, delivery, logistics, etc ... just not sure it'll be in consumer autos anytime soon, especially since I think those above services will start eating into the lower cost autos market.

That's why I'm an AD bear for consumer autos ... but maybe I'm biased and the kids will love it!
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2021, 09:15 AM   #1266
jpy1980
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M3 -Smurfy Blue Vinyl

Whoa just drove my neighbors brand new Model 3 performance...it was revelatory! I've never driven an electric vehicle, let alone a Tesla and it was amazingly fast. Like roller coaster scary.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2021, 12:06 PM   #1267
Humdizzle
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: GT3 + M2c

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpy1980 View Post
Whoa just drove my neighbors brand new Model 3 performance...it was revelatory! I've never driven an electric vehicle, let alone a Tesla and it was amazingly fast. Like roller coaster scary.
i'm slowly turning into a believer too. For real world performance its amazing. hopefully there is a model 3 plaid in the works !
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2021, 03:30 PM   #1268
macdemarcowerks
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Having driven regular M4, M4 Comp, M3 Comp and was in the market for one mainly cause I wanted some noise, I'm starting to question if I want one anymore. I drove a Tesla Model 3 Performance (M3P) with MPP coilovers + front lower control arm bushing and it had a Vorsteiner kit (for those complaining about looks) and it was absolutely amazing. The handling, steering and cornering is so much better than the stock M3P.

I drive really hard and fast around corners, curvy roads, twisties you name it. I go hunt for them lol and I find that I prefer the silence as the exhaust noise would be distracting. You can hear the tire noise and feedback and it's so much more zen and in the zone when I'm driving.

This is coming from someone who is in the market for a 458 Italia with an IPE straight pipe setup. Would I love to own an M4 comp one day? Sure, but mainly for the noise when I'm driving around for fun and downshifting. But when you're talking about really pushing the car, the noise is distracting IMO.

Having said that, it's not about ICE vs EV. There can be a perfect balance. For me it would be M3P as a DD and on the weekends it would be a 458 Italia. The quietest car and one of the loudest cars hehe
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2021, 04:07 PM   #1269
jpy1980
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by macdemarcowerks View Post
Having driven regular M4, M4 Comp, M3 Comp and was in the market for one mainly cause I wanted some noise, I'm starting to question if I want one anymore. I drove a Tesla Model 3 Performance (M3P) with MPP coilovers + front lower control arm bushing and it had a Vorsteiner kit (for those complaining about looks) and it was absolutely amazing. The handling, steering and cornering is so much better than the stock M3P.

I drive really hard and fast around corners, curvy roads, twisties you name it. I go hunt for them lol and I find that I prefer the silence as the exhaust noise would be distracting. You can hear the tire noise and feedback and it's so much more zen and in the zone when I'm driving.

This is coming from someone who is in the market for a 458 Italia with an IPE straight pipe setup. Would I love to own an M4 comp one day? Sure, but mainly for the noise when I'm driving around for fun and downshifting. But when you're talking about really pushing the car, the noise is distracting IMO.

Having said that, it's not about ICE vs EV. There can be a perfect balance. For me it would be M3P as a DD and on the weekends it would be a 458 Italia. The quietest car and one of the loudest cars hehe
^ you should ask the guy above you for a more owner’s impression of the 458 as he had one and sold it for a gt3 991.2
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2021, 05:11 PM   #1270
macdemarcowerks
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpy1980 View Post
^ you should ask the guy above you for a more owner’s impression of the 458 as he had one and sold it for a gt3 991.2
Haha, a GT3RS 991.1 or .2 was also the other car I was cross shopping for. You can't go wrong with either the 458 or the GT3/RS it's just totally up to your preference. I do know the GT3/RS drives way better. They both sound great too. But there's something about Ferrari that my heart wants first. My second choice would be without a doubt a GT3/RS.
Appreciate 1
Humdizzle6024.00
      06-16-2021, 06:20 PM   #1271
stevehifi
Captain
Rep
Drives: 17 F80 M3 ZCP

drove a m3p again about a week ago, have to say that it's not as good as I remember.. sure the acceleration is crazy but almost out of control in a way.. car doesn't feel very locked down .. way too soft and you can feel the weight transfer. Definitely understeers at the limit.. I wasn't able to try the 'track mode' since Tesla wouldn't allow.. maybe this helps with the car driving dynamics.

Tons of wind noise on the freeway coming from the door windows. The seats are awful, build quality is marginal. I would definitely pay $35k but not the $57k that they're asking.
Appreciate 1
MFNATIK3487.00
      06-24-2021, 05:57 PM   #1272
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevehifi View Post
drove a m3p again about a week ago, have to say that it's not as good as I remember.. sure the acceleration is crazy but almost out of control in a way.. car doesn't feel very locked down .. way too soft and you can feel the weight transfer. Definitely understeers at the limit.. I wasn't able to try the 'track mode' since Tesla wouldn't allow.. maybe this helps with the car driving dynamics.

Tons of wind noise on the freeway coming from the door windows. The seats are awful, build quality is marginal. I would definitely pay $35k but not the $57k that they're asking.
You’re correct about the wind noise and I’d add tire noise to that too. Seat are definitely better in the f80. I miss the cloth seats in my f80, especially the bolsters and headrest

I can’t say I share your observations about it being “too soft”. You can always change suspension with aftermarket and dial in how you want.

Go for the gold and get model S plaid. 150+ mph traps is an absolute rocket and with the >$100k price you likely will get better materials.

GrussGott i got the car early enough and with FSD package so I “should” be able to get in on the wider release of beta in a few weeks. If I do I’ll let you know.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2021, 06:19 PM   #1273
Clark_Kent
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Retired

Quote:

I'm beyond late seeing this post. I had 3 F80s and now have a MYP. There isn't a better vehicle in that segment ICE or EV. Happy to answer any questions you have about it.
      06-25-2021, 08:48 AM   #1274
ZCD1
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicknaz View Post
You’re correct about the wind noise and I’d add tire noise to that too. Seat are definitely better in the f80. I miss the cloth seats in my f80, especially the bolsters and headrest...I can’t say I share your observations about it being “too soft”...
Interesting - I don't have any significant wind noise until the wind passing over the car is >90 mph, meaning very rarely. That said, road noise on rough/textured pavement is my single biggest dislike about my car. On asphalt it's super-quiet, but on concrete or aggregate, notsomuch.

Seats are such a personal thing - it's all but impossible to predict whether someone will find a specific seat comfortable or not. The Model 3's seats are more comfortable to me than the (much prettier, quilted leather, even with adjustable thigh support) seats in my former Audi S6.

I guess compared to a previous-generation M3 the suspension might feel soft, but the flip side is that the ride quality is far better. Tradeoffs. Seems to strike a good compromise for a street car, IMHO.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2021, 09:40 AM   #1275
jpy1980
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

For you guys saying that there isn’t a better car in this segment, splain. How so? I’m curious
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2021, 02:50 PM   #1276
blinkme323
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark_Kent View Post
I'm beyond late seeing this post. I had 3 F80s and now have a MYP. There isn't a better vehicle in that segment ICE or EV. Happy to answer any questions you have about it.
Thanks. There seems to be a lot of talk on the forums about waiting out the 4680 cells and new casting instead of buying now. Any thoughts on that?