European Auto Source (EAS)
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

01-27-2021, 12:48 PM   #1
deeldoo
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 - DCT 2016

Best road feel mod

So i am kind of annoyed with the mechanical vibrations i get from the M4's very stiff chassis but i am underwhelmed with the lack of steering feel and also seat of the pants road feel.

This is my daily but this car is far from a luxury daily so i would rather just put the car to the brink of it's limits in the sporty spectrum.

Basically i am wondering what the single best bang for your buck mod right now that would either:

A) make me feel every road crevice in my steering wheel (probably impossible with shitty electronic steering)

B) Feel every crevice of the road under me
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2021, 01:07 PM   #2
M4theWIN1
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeldoo View Post
So i am kind of annoyed with the mechanical vibrations i get from the M4's very stiff chassis but i am underwhelmed with the lack of steering feel and also seat of the pants road feel.

This is my daily but this car is far from a luxury daily so i would rather just put the car to the brink of it's limits in the sporty spectrum.

Basically i am wondering what the single best bang for your buck mod right now that would either:

A) make me feel every road crevice in my steering wheel (probably impossible with shitty electronic steering)

So a little confused here. You are annoyed by the stiff chassis and mechanical vibration, but you want to mod to feel every crevice in the road? Throw it in Sport Plus for suspension and steering and see if that helps.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2021, 01:19 PM   #3
deeldoo
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M4theWIN1 View Post
Quote:

So a little confused here. You are annoyed by the stiff chassis and mechanical vibration, but you want to mod to feel every crevice in the road? Throw it in Sport Plus for suspension and steering and see if that helps.
No what i am iterating is the car has alot of feel from it's actual mechanical components, i.e. engine resonance, exhaust resonance, dct power shifts, etc.
But it lacks in feel for the road and surfaces.

Even in sport+ steering feel is non existent and the actual suspension is stiff but doesn't tell you too much about the road.

I want something that relays more information to ne
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2021, 01:33 PM   #4
fackamato
Second Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 Comp

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [0.00]
What wheels and tires are you running?
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2021, 01:52 PM   #5
deeldoo
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fackamato View Post
What wheels and tires are you running?
Potenza RE71-R 265 285 on 437's 19's
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2021, 05:45 PM   #6
icegrill
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3

I think you're asking for something that isn't possible...
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-30-2021, 07:04 AM   #7
USSEnterprise
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 18 M3 CS

Sell the beamer and buy a Lotus.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2021, 07:50 AM   #8
dvq
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Competition

Maybe take a look into the alternate eps coding for the GTS or CS. You can also look at the tension rod bushings possibly go monoball.

Those will be only minor improvements since this is an electric rack and not hydraulic.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2021, 09:06 AM   #9
whitstap
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 15 f80 m3

Camber plates, tiny bit of toe out align up front, GTS steering coding, Front thrust arm monoball bushings, rear toe and trailing arms w/ ball joints, cs edc coding or some proper coilovers w/ stiffer springs and more low speed damping, rear diff bushings... tried to list in order of biggest change in feel... you can absolutely transform the feel of the car if you really want to spend the time and money... tires are a factor as well but re71r are up there already as far as feedback... some of the bushings increase NVH more than others you will have to do your research on that, usually a good idea to use ones w/ rubber dust seals for street cars... good luck
Appreciate 3
dvq319.00
      01-30-2021, 10:13 AM   #10
ntg44
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: R8 4.2 Spyder

I noticed a significant increase in steering feel when I installed the bilstein B16 damptronic coil overs. If you have EDC, you can get the B6 damptronic shocks and keep your existing springs or combo with eibachs for a mild drop. I'd recommend B16D but it was far too stiff for a street car in my opinion. If you have passive shocks you can get the B6 passive dampers and probably also feel an improvement.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2021, 10:10 AM   #11
1000hp
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:

Coding the Steering to GTS specs and switching the tension strut (thrust arm) bushings to monoball improved road feel quite a bit for me.

It won't be every crevice in the road, but it will be much better. My car felt like a Camry to me when I first got it. Now it feels a lot more like an M3.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2021, 12:51 PM   #12
M 4 FUN
Captain
Rep
Drives: 320 Si, M4 comp. M3 E46

I wanted more steering input and feel on my M4 comp so i decided to change the thrust arm busnings to solid, excentric SPL ones. This made a big difference. yes, more road noice but with increased Castor and the solid bushing you will get a much better steering response as the Camber increase on steering input. The good thing is that you don't have to run with too much Camber setting on the top mounts but you get the same effect once you turn over and braking performance will not be worse either.
Appreciate 0