Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3/M4 versus...

03-01-2021, 02:49 PM   #3147
Tecnniqe
Sad ///M noises
No_Country
Rep
Drives: ///M4 COMPETITION

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulo_f80m3 View Post
I am trying really hard to like it but I don't unfortunately. The interior is nice with a very premium feel over its predecessor. I'll give it that but it's a complete mess on the outside besides the wheels. The wheels are really cool. Much more aggressive than the 666's. I feel like they are trying way too hard because the lines are all over the damn place and nothing flows.

First, the front end is a disaster with the obnoxious grilles and the power-dome is gone.

Second, the side profile is too busy with lines everywhere. The M4 loses the Hofmeister Kink and looks like an Infiniti Q60. While the M3 where the rear door meets the quarter panel is downright awful. What in the world is that? Fake side grills too? Really?

Finally, the rear is okay but the diffuser goes way too high and it's very boxy looking.

Overall it's just a no from me. Look it's my opinion and I hope whoever likes and buys them enjoys the fresh experience. It will most likely be faster and or handle better than our F80/F82's but so do many other vehicles in our segment. I remember when BMW used to do collaborations with real race and enthusiast brands like Dinan, AC Schnitzer etc. The F1 program is also long gone. BMW M has moved away from what made it so popular. It's all about sales and numbers now. The Chinese market, and social media influencers have really put the nail in the coffin for us enthusiasts. Instead of keeping and expanding their Motorsport program they're moving to a more fashion/status statement. KITH a prime example.

Again it's sad but that's what I feel like is going on at the moment and will continue in the future.

Hold on to your M cars guys and gals. You own a piece of history right now.
I completely agree. It’s more about lifestyle and less about ///Motorsport, the marketing gave it away too.
Wait what the hell is going on with the blue color on the brakes and the seemingly massive panel gap at the end there 👀
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2021, 02:55 PM   #3148
paulo_f80m3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 01' E46 325i / 16' F80 M3

Garage List
2001 BMW 325i  [8.50]
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tecnniqe View Post
I completely agree. It’s more about lifestyle and less about ///Motorsport, the marketing gave it away too.
Wait what the hell is going on with the blue color on the brakes and the seemingly massive panel gap at the end there 👀
Single piston on the rear for the electronic parking brake.

The quarter panel where it meets the rear door makes it look like it has an awful gap because its almost a 90 degree angle now..
      03-01-2021, 02:56 PM   #3149
jpy1980
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M3 -Smurfy Blue Vinyl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
He was joking.......the same way he was joking when he said he "tossed the dealership the keys to his Benz," trade in value be damned. You guys are way too uptight.
I think that's an unfair assumption of the people who are not into the G8X generation. This is an emotional purchase regardless of how you put it. When emotions are mixed in and enthusiasts are unhappy, things like this will be said. You are trying to be objective and bring rationale to a situation which clearly can't be objective.

Let us mourn the death of the M brand while you can go cheerlead in the G8x forum.

Shoo. =P
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2021, 03:01 PM   #3150
jpy1980
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Appreciate 3
Tecnniqe4197.00
RugbyBro7574.00
dms-011129.50
      03-01-2021, 03:02 PM   #3151
Tecnniqe
Sad ///M noises
No_Country
Rep

Quote:

The quarter panel where it meets the rear door makes it look like it has an awful gap because its almost a 90 degree angle now..
The blue seems like it’s been overheated and about to floss since someone just sprayed it on with some cheap ass color, it looks bubbly to me??

It’s going in a 90 degree angle there? That’s a cleaning nightmare and looks incredibly bad. That’s a Tesla level panel gap right there.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2021, 03:05 PM   #3152
secretanchitman
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 F82 M4 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
I am trying really hard to like it but I don't unfortunately. The interior is nice with a very premium feel over its predecessor. I'll give it that but it's a complete mess on the outside besides the wheels. The wheels are really cool. Much more aggressive than the 666's. I feel like they are trying way too hard because the lines are all over the damn place and nothing flows.

First, the front end is a disaster with the obnoxious grilles and the power-dome is gone.

Second, the side profile is too busy with lines everywhere. The M4 loses the Hofmeister Kink and looks like an Infiniti Q60. While the M3 where the rear door meets the quarter panel is downright awful. What in the world is that? Fake side grills too? Really?

Finally, the rear is okay but the diffuser goes way too high and it's very boxy looking.

Overall it's just a no from me. Look it's my opinion and I hope whoever likes and buys them enjoys the fresh experience. It will most likely be faster and or handle better than our F80/F82's but so do many other vehicles in our segment. I remember when BMW used to do collaborations with real race and enthusiast brands like Dinan, AC Schnitzer etc. The F1 program is also long gone. BMW M has moved away from what made it so popular. It's all about sales and numbers now. The Chinese market, and social media influencers have really put the nail in the coffin for us enthusiasts. Instead of keeping and expanding their Motorsport program they're moving to a more fashion/status statement. KITH a prime example.

Again it's sad but that's what I feel like is going on at the moment and will continue in the future.

Hold on to your M cars guys and gals. You own a piece of history right now.
I'm keeping my F82 M4 for life and never letting it go!

The G80/G82 is designed for people who will show off the car (social media influencers and customers who buy BMWs for the badge), rather than enthusiasts who actually give a damn and drive the car for what it can do!
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2021, 03:07 PM   #3153
paulo_f80m3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2001 BMW 325i  [8.50]
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:

The blue seems like it’s been overheated and about to floss since someone just sprayed it on with some cheap ass color, it looks bubbly to me??

It’s going in a 90 degree angle there? That’s a cleaning nightmare and looks incredibly bad. That’s a Tesla level panel gap right there.
Almost, yeah.
Attached Images

03-01-2021, 03:13 PM   #3154
Tecnniqe
Sad ///M noises
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Almost, yeah.
I wonder if that will collect small rocks and debris so when you clean the car you'll risk the paint.

You got access to that car? Test drive?
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2021, 03:14 PM   #3155
RugbyBro
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacoma View Post
The pig snout gets all the attention but the side view is just as bad. From pic below, the lines of the F82 flow harmoniously in line with the door handle onto the side-rear lights and integrating the side vent seamlessly. On the G82, the lines don't flow at all seemingly starting and ending from nowhere, and the black side vent seems oddly placed - it's just a hot mess.
Yeah, I'm actually more saddened by the overall design of the car and not the grill specifically. Aside from the BMW badge, nothing about it signals to me that it is a BMW. I've noticed this all across the range though, they've been slowly sacrificing certain bodylines and design cues. For instance, and is very obvious on the G22/82 - instead of a long sweeping high-set shoulder, they've now softened it completely and split it in two and moved the front half to the middle of the door - so now it looks like a strange disconnected shoulder. The lower body line is more defined like a Lexus (seriously google "Lexus IS Side View"). This is only one specific example but BMW has done this and more on the 2, 3, 4, & 8 and they all look worse for it. The only model to maintain a healthy amount of BMW design cues is the current 5 series (and 7 to a softer extent). I personally don't think any model that BMW sells right now looks very good, I think some just look better than others due to their "relative" beauty.
      03-01-2021, 03:20 PM   #3156
paulo_f80m3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2001 BMW 325i  [8.50]
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
I wonder if that will collect small rocks and debris so when you clean the car you'll risk the paint.

You got access to that car? Test drive?
I drove it around the parking lot. It has a protective film covering it but I feel like it'll need constant replacement once spacers are put on in the future. The F80 has this issue as well but I think the G80 will suffer a more direct hit.
      03-01-2021, 03:22 PM   #3157
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpy1980 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
He was joking.......the same way he was joking when he said he "tossed the dealership the keys to his Benz," trade in value be damned. You guys are way too uptight.
I think that's an unfair assumption of the people who are not into the G8X generation. This is an emotional purchase regardless of how you put it. When emotions are mixed in and enthusiasts are unhappy, things like this will be said. You are trying to be objective and bring rationale to a situation which clearly can't be objective.

Let us mourn the death of the M brand while you can go cheerlead in the G8x forum.

Shoo. =P
I am talking about THAT SPECIFIC POST, not the other rantings in this thread. Clearly in that post and other posts within the thread, the owner with the 488 has a sense of humor. Some reading it, however, do not and took his words with a degree of seriousness that wasn't intended.

#comprehension
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2021, 03:27 PM   #3158
Tecnniqe
Sad ///M noises
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
I drove it around the parking lot. It has a protective film covering it but I feel like it'll need constant replacement once spacers are put on in the future. The F80 has this issue as well but I think the G80 will suffer a more direct hit.
How did it feel in the lot compared to the F80?

Yeah, protective film needing constant replacement is a hassle but we do what we do for the fitment
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2021, 03:29 PM   #3159
FormulaMMM
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
I drove it around the parking lot.
Whoa, hey listen, we can't afford corporate shutting this thread down. There's a lot of us highly invested here. Keep the driving secrets to yourself until March 10 or whenever

Appreciate 6
Tecnniqe4197.00
stein_325i25051.00
minn1913970.00
clutchdj1851.50
irunalot1515.50
MFNATIK3487.00
      03-01-2021, 03:40 PM   #3160
stein_325i
Ring Leader of G8X Haters
No_Country
Rep
Drives: A Car

G80 Design Analysis after In-Person Viewing

Ok, so today my son and I went to the dealer to look at the new G8X in person. We looked at a G80 M3 w/ 6MT in Sao Paulo Yellow, and I have to say, every one of you in here are wrong, the car is gorgeous, and the grill only adds to its beauty!

...Sike, I'm kidding, both my son and I still hate it it looks awful in person, but I thought I'd do a little analysis of what I've seen, and since I can't post in the G8X forums, I'm posting it here, and its long so read if you want, otherwise you already know the TLDR: Its ugly.

As soon as I walked in the dealer I saw it, in a sea of drab and dreary grays, whites, and blues, there was a G80 in Sao Paulo Yellow.

First, the color: Its hideous, I'm sorry but this is a terrible launch choice for color. I haven't seen Isle of Man Green, but I'm a sucker for green so I'm sure that color is good (please put it on better looking models BMW). I actually like Phoenix and Austin Yellow, and I am typically not a Yellow guy but I loved the metallic flakes and how great it looked in any lighting. Would I ever buy an M3/4 in yellow? No, but I still appreciated its unique and standout looks. The problem with this color is its flat. Flat paints are boring, I like a nice metallic look, the other problem is the shade. Its not so much yellow, as it is Mucus Green, or Baby Vomit Green. Its just not attractive.

Name:  Front 3-4.jpg
Views: 399
Size:  310.8 KB

Next, our favorite topic: The Front End. Arriving at the front of the car, immediately what I first noticed (other than the grills of course) is how the car is so flat on the front end, almost like it hit a car. From the side this is emphasized further.

Next I noticed was how huge the headlights were, almost bug eye. The F8X while its headlights were likely the same size, appear thinner despite this, mainly because as they get closer towards the middle of the front end, they thin out, creating the illusion of sharpness and an overall thinner shape. The other problem is the placement of the headlights in accordance to the grills. The headlights at their lowest point, are lower than the top of the grill. If we look back, whether it was the E30, E36, E46, E90 (LCI), F30/80, the headlights and the grills line up with each other well. Even on cars such as the pre-LCI E90 the grill lined up, and the brows while higher than the headlights, were by such a small amount in height. The G20 even manages to accomplish this better as while the grill goes higher than the headlights, it is not by a large amount, and overall presents a connected and symmetrical look. The G8X grills go higher than the headlights by a large margin, creating a long vertical look which is unflattering. While previous cars have had vertical grills before (and I'm talking about modern design, not pre-war era design that BMW likes to use for excuses like the 328) even on cars, such as the E30 or E28, etc. (many of the "shark-nosed" Bimmers) the headlights and grills would always line up, and were very symmetrical in their shape from their length, width and height, creating a uniform design.

Name:  Grills.jpg
Views: 385
Size:  276.9 KB

Another issues is the headlights which are very wide but not tall, are contrasted by the taller than wide grill which creates a disproportionate look. There is too much of a mishmash between vertical and horizontal design with the G8X. You have the horizontal headlights, and then vertical grills with horizontal pieces inside, a vertical split between the grills, then a horizontal lower air intake which then curves into a vertical crease at each end, and then vertical air breathers (for the brakes). Its just too much back and forth. And then we have the hood, which continues this. The bulges look awful, two vertical but not wide bulges pronounce the grill and then you have a thinner lower area between the two that houses the badge. To make matters worse, the two dips towards the bottom end of the hood are fake and just look like extra designs that weren't needed. The other issue is that for most of the hood these bulges are faint towards the cowl but then overly exaggerated towards the flat front end. With a cab back design, a more pronounced bulge would look better towards the cowl of the hood, fading out towards the front of the car, rather than emphasizing the first few inches of the car dynamically and then tapering off and creating a weird height difference of the front and back of the hood at certain angles. Oh and the black trim that goes around the entire bottom half of the car is just weird and too thick and prominent in some places.

Name:  Hood.jpg
Views: 388
Size:  263.6 KB

Next we have the side profile: This is a lot better than the front end, but there are some design lines and cues which look a bit off-putting. The design lines behind the front fender which go into the M3/4's fake fender vent badging is just a bit too much. The directions of all of these lines and creases and curves just don't look very uniform and all flow differently, like they asked different designers to just add different creases all over the body. The faint door crease above the handles is probably the worse as it looks less striking than previous generation's lines through the handles. The F8X design wise, has such sharp and tight creases that create an athletic and thin appearance, almost like a tailed suit that was designed to show off everything well. The G8X looks more bloated due to the more faint and softer creases, like an overgrown suit. There is a second horizontal crease after the doors underneath the top one (that goes across the entire car), this one abruptly ends at the doors, and would look much better if it were to continue.

Name:  Front 1-4.jpg
Views: 400
Size:  262.4 KB

The wheels are okay, they aren't as crazy as the 666 competition wheels, but they are decent, they fit with M's current design in other cars. I would like some less over-styled wheel choices though, as the base 18/19 setup is quite boring, and these wheels are a bit too over the top. A nice middle ground would be great. Honestly, AMG is killing it with their rim designs, M needs to step up a bit.

Name:  Rim.jpg
Views: 375
Size:  328.7 KB
Name:  Rear Fenders.jpg
Views: 387
Size:  220.6 KB

The Rear End: While the fenders are still pronounced more than the regular G20, they are less flared than the F8X. The F80's rear end definitely emphasizes the fenders more so than the G80. The rear end is quite easily the G80's least offensive and easiest to look at angle. Here, a horizontal design theme is used (unlike the front end) and it isn't too cluttered. The diffuser while bulky and quite frankly a bit bland compared to the F8X's interesting creases, or a Giulia QV's gorgeous rear end and diffuser, is fine, and likely hiding a large muffler (aka M2's cow udders). The thin reflector lights aren't pretty and are the one vertical design element that don't fit with an overall horizontal look, and they are very obvious and annoying on lighter color cars. The taillights are ok but very Lexus like. This is probably the one and only area the G82 surpasses the G80 in, purely just because of its better looking (although still borrowed from other manufacturers) taillights.

Name:  Rear 3-4.jpg
Views: 379
Size:  343.6 KB
Name:  Rear.jpg
Views: 390
Size:  292.5 KB

Now for the Interior: This is where things start looking up for the G80. Overall the interior is nice. It doesn't have the excitement in its design of the Giulia or C63's interior, or the cohesive and modern look of an RS5, but its decent. Material quality above the knees is good as well, although this car was spec'd with the full Merino leather. Below the knees, the center console and lower door bins are still cheap hard plastic. It would be nice to have a padded area to rest my knee on. The steering wheel is the same old wheel from every other BMW. I personally prefer the Alfa or Mercedes' wheel, and I think BMW can lay off the fat and stop making it so thick. The F-Series M-Sport wheel is still my favorite BMW M wheel, and just thick enough where its not uncomfortable. This car had the carbon-fiber package which looks fine on the center console, but on the steering wheel looks very after-market. Not a fan. New M paddles for mode switching from the M5 is a nice touch, as is the tri-color stitching.

Name:  Interior 3-4.jpg
Size:  302.9 KB

Center stack is nicely laid out with 8-presets and physical HVAC controls like the G20. The center console is 100% an afterthought of a design for the manual transmission, as the auto has a very symmetrical and cohesive design, and for the manual they just stuck the tranny in one spot and moved the controller into another, a weird mix of shapes and sizes. Electronic handbrake is a sad but inevitable switch, and all of the driving modes have been consolidated into one switch. I personally find there are too many modes, but once you set your M1 and M2 switches I'm sure its fine, just too many combo's to try out for the steering, suspension, brakes, engine, transmission, a nice goldilocks mode from the factory would be nice. And 10 traction modes is overkill, but I guess they had to one-up AMG (literally). Shifter is the same old shift knob, and honestly, if they are going to make the manual transmission a special "feature" they could put some effort into a new and cool shift knob, but that's just a nitpick. I tried out the clutch with the car was off and found it to be a bit springy. It was short as well. Been a while since I drove an F-Chassis M car so can't really compare, but I've seen some G8X posters complaining about the clutch feel and uptake. I'm not sure if it was an illusion, but the armrests did not feel like they were at equal heights either. Base seats were comfy, no complaints there as the regular G20 seats suck. Would like to try the carbon buckets, but honestly as a daily, I would probably just stick with these.

Name:  Shift.jpg
Views: 381
Size:  365.5 KB

The Gauge Cluster: This feature is so bad that it deserves its own paragraph. Whoever at BMW is designing this gauge cluster needs to be fired (along with some other choice people) immediately. I mean its horrid, almost like the designer has never driven a car before. First off reverse tach is ugly and illegible. Everything is a weird shape and size and there is little to no customizability other than a map and radio information, and lets be honest, you're gonna use CarPlay for maps anyways, and most other times you know where you're going. The M mode is worse, just like the hood bulges there's two vertical tachs which are even more illegible. I mean what is the point of creating a digital gauge cluster if you aren't going to offer any customizability. My wife's GLC, a regular luxury SUV, has almost thirty different gauge modes, there's probably one for every day of the week in MBUX.

Name:  Steer.jpg
Size:  349.9 KB

Overall, this car is a design failure, as you already knew. But to those who say, this car doesn't photograph well, they're right, it doesn't. Its ugly in person, so of course it'd be ugly in photos That being said I did register for my dealer's G8X launch event, mainly for two reasons, 1) I wanna see how they are gonna market this car, and 2) There'll probably be free food.

If you read all this, thanks, it was a fun rant

Oh, and here's a pallet cleanser.

Name:  F82.jpg
Views: 383
Size:  262.2 KB
Name:  F82-2.jpg
Views: 371
Size:  265.4 KB
FormulaMMM3662.50
jpy19801578.00
CT_M31478.00
RugbyBro7574.00
DDD311646.00
GERMAN M34176.50
Mavus2014.50
clutchdj1851.50
ra2289302.00
GrussGott18113.00
M3_WC1040.00
irunalot1515.50
cheveux401.50
swagon13482.50
      03-01-2021, 03:43 PM   #3161
paulo_f80m3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2001 BMW 325i  [8.50]
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:

Yeah, protective film needing constant replacement is a hassle but we do what we do for the fitment
Quote:
Originally Posted by FormulaMMM View Post
Quote:
I drove it around the parking lot.
Whoa, hey listen, we can't afford corporate shutting this thread down. There's a lot of us highly invested here. Keep the driving secrets to yourself until March 10 or whenever
Only drove it from where the trucker parked the cars to where we park our inventory lol.
      03-01-2021, 03:50 PM   #3162
paulo_f80m3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2001 BMW 325i  [8.50]
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:

It felt like I was driving a 5 series. It's definitely bigger, but again it was in transport mode with the spring helpers and limited drivetrain functionality. No real world test. Looking forward to our event to drive it.
      03-01-2021, 07:03 PM   #3163
GERMAN M3
Lieutenant Colonel
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 Comp.

Dropped by the local dealer tonight to look at the G80 M3, and unfortunately the car was in the detail bay getting cleaned up. I will say this, in person it does look much different compared to all of the pics that have been posted. The black does a descent job of hiding the grilles, but they are still in your face!! Wasn't able to get a pic from the front due to it being to close to the front wall. Going to head back tomorrow for better pics. Car is supposed to be sitting in showroom tomorrow. Apologies about the quality of the pics. Hoping to be able to get some interior pics tomorrow as well. Stay tuned....more to come .
Attached Images

jpy19801578.00
Sedan_Clan24818.50
      03-01-2021, 07:12 PM   #3164
stein_325i
Ring Leader of G8X Haters
No_Country
Rep
Drives: A Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by GERMAN M3 View Post
Dropped by the local dealer tonight to look at the G80 M3, and unfortunately the car was in the detail bay getting cleaned up. I will say this, in person it does look much different compared to all of the pics that have been posted. The black does a descent job of hiding the grilles, but they are still in your face!! Wasn't able to get a pic from the front due to it being to close to the front wall. Going to head back tomorrow for better pics. Car is supposed to be sitting in showroom tomorrow. Apologies about the quality of the pics. Hoping to be able to get some interior pics tomorrow as well. Stay tuned....more to come .
Black will be the only way to go for those who can tolerate this design. Sadly, as long as the sun still shines, and I reverse into parking spaces and my garage, that face is just such a deal-breaker.
GERMAN M34176.50
irunalot1515.50
      03-01-2021, 07:25 PM   #3165
dms-01
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3

My local is getting oxide grey and enough around to check out some other colors. Too lazy to go look at them though. SPY is horrendous and anyone who gets that color should have their head examined.

I think if I absolutely had to get into one it would have to be black with CCBs and a manual. A stripper so to speak. Is cloth an option this time around??
Appreciate 1
GERMAN M34176.50
      03-01-2021, 07:49 PM   #3166
FlyingLow78
The G8X is a disaster. 🤮
Rep
Drives: Not a BMW anymore

I’m going to the dealer to get my iDrive fixed on Thursday, so I’ll see what the Korean market is getting.
Appreciate 1
GrussGott18113.00
      03-01-2021, 07:49 PM   #3167
jpy1980
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Black does make it look better, but yes, just like Stein_325 said, it still like polishign a turd
Appreciate 3
stein_325i25051.00
GERMAN M34176.50
irunalot1515.50
      03-01-2021, 07:58 PM   #3168
GERMAN M3
Lieutenant Colonel
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 Comp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpy1980 View Post
Quote:
Black does make it look better, but yes, just like Stein_325 said, it still like polishign a turd
Hated I couldn't get better pics. Lighting wasn't the best. Hoping to get better pics tomorrow......not that they will help with the looks of the car though.