Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics

07-16-2013, 05:47 PM   #67
Mangler
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08' 335i, ZHP 330i

Garage List
88 .  [0.00]
2008 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Imagine how much quieter the F80 is going to be with the heat exchanger too. NO induction noise.

T
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2013, 08:16 AM   #68
richardg
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: MacanGTS, 991.2GT3, E63wagon

It wouldn't stop me from buying the car but I would hope that they would use thinner sound deadening and active valves in the exhaust to try and make it audible in car but not obnoxious.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2013, 12:49 PM   #69
lux
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 G87 M2, 2011 E90 M3 Comp

BMW has no excuse for synthesized sound via the speakers. There are many alternative sound enhancing techniques to choose from.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2013, 01:00 PM   #70
Transfer
Major General
Rep
Drives: Bronco Wildtrak, Tesla MYP

The fake sounds are nice to the ears but it's a stupid solution and just cheapens the car. Other solutions can't be that difficult to engineer. I wouldn't be surprised if the new M3/4 has active sound but I would be disappointed.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2013, 01:12 PM   #71
solstice
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3 6MT

Does the active sound gets switched off if you play music? Paying top dollar for the M5's B&O system and then have your music compete with synthetic engine noise in the speakers seems a bit weird to say the least.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2013, 05:41 PM   #72
Ezio
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 Alfa Romeo, 2023 m240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by solstice View Post
Does the active sound gets switched off if you play music? Paying top dollar for the M5's B&O system and then have your music compete with synthetic engine noise in the speakers seems a bit weird to say the least.
i asked the same question to my self.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2013, 04:06 AM   #73
driftster
Rep
Drives: m3,325,deville,f150,tsx etc

Quote:
Originally Posted by lux View Post
BMW has no excuse for synthesized sound via the speakers. There are many alternative sound enhancing techniques to choose from.
Yes actually they do..

Here's a little hint on their excuse.

Quote:
MT: Tell me about light weight. Is the new M4 lighter than a 435i?

FN: Absolutely. We will use lightweight parts in the places where it matters
They have come forward in how many different venues and publications saying "lightweight this and lightweight that"

Now if they were to sit here and preach the lack of useless parts and additions to a car that would add unnecessary weight, it would be not only hypocritical but foolish for them to come along and shove a porsche-esque or Ford-esque Sound Symposer system or FR-S Sound Tube system.

Speakers are ALREADY going to be installed in the car, so getting the sound synthesis out of them is a matter of an extra control board in the harness somewhwere..

So you either have one of the following

and be forced to purchase full on delete hardware kits just to remove the "synthetic" aspect of your car sound....

Vs

Simply disabling the Active sound of the bmw...

So while all the complaining has been going on over a feature that is very easily removed (which is hilarious to me...I'm all for getting rid of synthetic noise....but we're also talking about "The next generation of LUXURY SPORT SEDANS" in a generation where engines are expected to be quieter, cockpits expected to be quieter and overall car noise to be lessened bmw is trying to cater to 2 complete polar opposites and did a damn fine job of it if you ask me. The ONLY thing i could see that might be better would be a push button noise damper, but that would without question hamper performance.

Of ALL The things wrong with the current trend in car designs around the world, automotive features etcetera you'd think something asr small as the Active Sound wouldn't be such a lambasted idea. Heck we have other models that have intrusive stability/traction control that require IDKFA, up-c-down-c-left-c-right-c and BABA start Select to turn off completely and people are less vocal about THAT than the "audio assist" that takes all but 4 seconds to completely disable.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2013, 07:40 PM   #74
lux
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 G87 M2, 2011 E90 M3 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by driftster View Post
Yes actually they do..

Here's a little hint on their excuse.

They have come forward in how many different venues and publications saying "lightweight this and lightweight that"

Now if they were to sit here and preach the lack of useless parts and additions to a car that would add unnecessary weight, it would be not only hypocritical but foolish for them to come along and shove a porsche-esque or Ford-esque Sound Symposer system or FR-S Sound Tube system.

Speakers are ALREADY going to be installed in the car, so getting the sound synthesis out of them is a matter of an extra control board in the harness somewhwere..

So you either have one of the following

and be forced to purchase full on delete hardware kits just to remove the "synthetic" aspect of your car sound....

Vs

Simply disabling the Active sound of the bmw...

So while all the complaining has been going on over a feature that is very easily removed (which is hilarious to me...I'm all for getting rid of synthetic noise....but we're also talking about "The next generation of LUXURY SPORT SEDANS" in a generation where engines are expected to be quieter, cockpits expected to be quieter and overall car noise to be lessened bmw is trying to cater to 2 complete polar opposites and did a damn fine job of it if you ask me. The ONLY thing i could see that might be better would be a push button noise damper, but that would without question hamper performance.

Of ALL The things wrong with the current trend in car designs around the world, automotive features etcetera you'd think something asr small as the Active Sound wouldn't be such a lambasted idea. Heck we have other models that have intrusive stability/traction control that require IDKFA, up-c-down-c-left-c-right-c and BABA start Select to turn off completely and people are less vocal about THAT than the "audio assist" that takes all but 4 seconds to completely disable.
The ///M division has been successful at hitting a nerve with the F10 M5 Active Sound. It was just one more nail in the coffin that BMW fans see as a slow death of the Ultimate Driving Machine.

Sound certainly plays a major role in my enjoyment of driving. I appreciate BMW researching extensively into this topic but their solution sucks. Yes it may offer weight savings but at the great expense of authenticity/brand image. There is a reason Porsche is willing to add weight to their vehicle for improved sound--driver involvement/experience.

Active Sound may be an elegant technical solution and more appropriate for M5/M6 owners since they expect more noise dampening/refinement versus M3 owners.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2013, 11:00 PM   #75
Longwong
Banned
Rep
Drives: e92 m3 catless

The e9x m3 was unique and only matched by the e46 csl in terms of sound from the engine. The intake on the m3 has a gaping hole out the hood allowing not only airflow at higher rpms but the sound can come screaming out from that giant square/round filter and a huge airbox with no baffling or hemoltz chamber to quiet it. Has 3 air intake paths and the amount of air and the speed at which it gets sucked into the engine all be broadcasted out the hole in the hood makes for an engine noise that is largely unmatched.

The open filter csl intake had great sound but not as loud as the e92 m3 in terms of engine sound
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2013, 01:45 AM   #76
karussell
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 4 wheels

did you guys see the review of the Clio Cup on Top Gear? Its a renault and you can actually pick which sound it makes on the inside. Since Renault is owned by Nissan you can actually make your little Clio Cup sound like a GTR. sports cars and cell phones becoming more and more alike every day.
      08-05-2013, 07:53 AM   #77
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2024 G80 Comp xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by driftster View Post

That's not synthetic. It's actually YOUR engine. Not a recording of some other engine played back in sync with your engine. It is YOUR engine making noise.

Is it contrived and marketing driven? Yes, of course. But at least it's YOUR ENGINE. I mean, hey, how many people here by CAI's and high flow filters? Do we call their engine sounds "synthetic"? No. Because it's STILL THEIR ENGINE.

Mechanically tuning engine and exhaust sound is something that all manufacturers do. Their end goal might be different, but they all do it. Playing a recording of a DIFFERENT CAR through your speakers is just dumb. That's no longer tuning your car. It's listening to something else.

Would you go to a concert of your favorite artist and bring some noise cancelling headphones and an iPod and sit and listen to all the same songs on your iPod while watching the show? If you did, would you still claim to have heard the concert?
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2013, 10:19 AM   #78
sparkyg
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: work truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by lux View Post
I can understand BMW wanting to improve the sound feedback for drivers but I can not approve the use of synthesized sound through speakers. Just stick with the old school method of an induction sound tube or Porsche's Sound Symposer:

http://www.sae.org/mags/sve/10374/

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/03/01/au...OISE.html?_r=0
Problem is BMW is not Porsche. BMW is no longer the Ultimate Driving machine. They are taking a different path and I dont expect it to change.

I will be interesting how many put their money where their wallet is and get a P car over a new M3/M4.

I bet far fewer than the bitching we are seeing. The car will prob be fantastic and nobody is gonna care once they drive it.

Sorta like the GT3 getting no manual....
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2013, 02:12 PM   #79
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by karussell View Post
did you guys see the review of the Clio Cup on Top Gear? Its a renault and you can actually pick which sound it makes on the inside. Since Renault is owned by Nissan you can actually make your little Clio Cup sound like a GTR. sports cars and cell phones becoming more and more alike every day.
Nope, it is the other way around. Renault owns Nissan.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2013, 06:40 PM   #80
Tacoma
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMWs for 30 yrs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Needsdecaf View Post
That's not synthetic. It's actually YOUR engine. Not a recording of some other engine played back in sync with your engine. It is YOUR engine making noise.
My understanding is the fake sound is not of YOUR engine, but rather of some other M5 engine reproduced through the speakers to synch with your engine based on such things as throttle response. But the fake sound is definitely not of your engine.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2013, 06:48 PM   #81
gblansten
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 23 Tesla S Plaid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacoma View Post
My understanding is the fake sound is not of YOUR engine, but rather of some other M5 engine reproduced through the speakers to synch with your engine based on such things as throttle response. But the fake sound is definitely not of your engine.
Exactly. Prerecorded sound by an engineer in a lab of the same engine type in that respective car (M5/6 or M135).
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2013, 07:07 PM   #82
conradb
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 (ZCP/DCT/ZCV)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgaler View Post
I don't like anything fake. I even replace the fake chrome. I won't buy it if it has fake engine sounds through the sound system if it can't be turned off.

Please tell me that my 135 doesn't do that.
pull the fuse
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2013, 07:31 PM   #83
gblansten
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 23 Tesla S Plaid

Quote:
Originally Posted by conradb View Post
pull the fuse
Pulling the fuse disables the stereo system completely.

Last edited by gblansten; 08-06-2013 at 07:38 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2013, 09:15 PM   #84
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=893548
Appreciate 0