Coby Wheel
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > DIY and Coding Discussions

01-02-2015, 08:17 PM   #67
parky1215
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F90 M5C | G06 X6 M60i

Quote:
Originally Posted by agagom View Post
Thanks for great tips. I was able to reduce quite a bit of my interior rattle noise.

I also found my DCT trim was rattling, so got some hint from http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1070897 to put felt tape on the contact points between the plastic parts, and the connectors that were loose making the noise.

Still I have some more rattle/creak on the door panel trim, but it looks a bit tricky to get that fixed... Is it easy to detach the door panel trim only instead of dissembling the whole door panel?
I haven't put up guide up yet but I found good way to reduce door panel rattle without taking any door panels out. I will make some guide later.
Appreciate 2
      01-02-2015, 08:21 PM   #68
gthal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by parky1215 View Post
I haven't put up guide up yet but I found good way to reduce door panel rattle without taking any door panels out. I will make some guide later.
Can't wait to see this... my passenger door has a rattle/squeak noise. I popped off the bottom of the panel (where I believe the noise is coming from) and immediately popped it back on. Stopped it for a while and now its coming back slowly. If it is still doing it in the Spring, I'll pull the panel and really fix it. Hopefully your quick fix will be better
2015 M4 | Austin Yellow | DCT
2012 MB C63AMG | 2011 E92 M3 | 2010 E92 M3
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2015, 09:58 AM   #69
Oakleyguy
Resident Engineer
United_States
Rep
Drives: Land Cruiser

Garage List
2014 Toyota URJ200  [0.00]
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
2005 Toyota UZJ100  [0.00]
I haven't had time to test this yet, but I plan to wrap the door release cable in some additional foam next time I pull my panel off. I suspect that the cable is slightly rattling back and forth between the panel and the door liner. This is because the rattling stops if I apply pressure with my elbow against the door panel.

Has anyone been able to check if there have been any TSBs posted about this?
European Delivery Journal & F8X Door Rattle Fix
Machine Shop Directory - www.mfgcenter.com
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2015, 12:08 PM   #70
woosolow
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW F80 (2015 M3)

Thank god I found your post OP, you are our goddess hero lol... the stupid rattle somewhere around my dashboard is driving me NUTZ!!! everytime i drive by the bumppy road it makes noise somewhere around the center of the console / cup holder area. dang!

i came off from a e92, never experience any rattle noise from my ride before; which somehow makes me miss my old baby

its my 1st time to dig out the dashboard myself and not 100% confident about my skills, would you kindly elaborate a little bit further on the bold lines below

1. Pull out A/C CF trim
This piece comes out easily without using any pry bar.
Just follow first 25 seconds from this video to take out the trim.
Make sure your car is off before pulling this out as you have to disconnect 2 connectors. is it just pull it hard then the 2 connectors will detach? i m worried i will rip-it-off lol

2. Pull out AC vent from CF trim
This piece is actually quite hard to take out.

Contact points that are holding AC vent is somewhat fragile and can break if you apply too much force.
If you are not confident in your skill, you can skip this and go to step 4.

i strongly believe thats noise coming from, as the CF trim is banging against the back panel frame... as well as those little metal screw knobs. as well as the edge of the trim (right beside the passenger window), the little metal screw is making noises as well.

anyway, so how do you take out the CF trim apart from the back panel? any specific area needs to pay attention, as u said it is fragile and easy to break.

P.S.: looking forward for your updated / revised post in regards to the easy fix on the door panel tho thanks in advance
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2015, 05:24 PM   #71
pbar
Captain
Rep
Drives: 992 GTS, Tesla M3P

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbar View Post
Hi All,
Yesterday I had a passenger in the back for the first time and they thought that the rattle was coming from above their head in the stoplight area, and that it went away when they put their hand on it.

I think it's probably part #6 on this diagram, but the figure is too small to make out any details
http://realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?...67&hg=51&fg=40
Any idea what sort of fasteners it is likely to have?

I finally got around to taking this apart - there are just two trim clips at the end near the rear window.

Inside you can see the two plastic clips which secure the headliner to the roof... turns out that it was these which were rattling and squeaking. I put a bit of lubricant on the clips and then replaced the stoplight cover firmly.

Rattles all gone!
Appreciate 1
qskid2810.50
      01-22-2015, 05:56 PM   #72
parky1215
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by woosolow View Post
Thank god I found your post OP, you are our goddess hero lol... the stupid rattle somewhere around my dashboard is driving me NUTZ!!! everytime i drive by the bumppy road it makes noise somewhere around the center of the console / cup holder area. dang!

i came off from a e92, never experience any rattle noise from my ride before; which somehow makes me miss my old baby

its my 1st time to dig out the dashboard myself and not 100% confident about my skills, would you kindly elaborate a little bit further on the bold lines below

1. Pull out A/C CF trim
This piece comes out easily without using any pry bar.
Just follow first 25 seconds from this video to take out the trim.
Make sure your car is off before pulling this out as you have to disconnect 2 connectors. is it just pull it hard then the 2 connectors will detach? i m worried i will rip-it-off lol

2. Pull out AC vent from CF trim
This piece is actually quite hard to take out.

Contact points that are holding AC vent is somewhat fragile and can break if you apply too much force.
If you are not confident in your skill, you can skip this and go to step 4.

i strongly believe thats noise coming from, as the CF trim is banging against the back panel frame... as well as those little metal screw knobs. as well as the edge of the trim (right beside the passenger window), the little metal screw is making noises as well.

anyway, so how do you take out the CF trim apart from the back panel? any specific area needs to pay attention, as u said it is fragile and easy to break.

P.S.: looking forward for your updated / revised post in regards to the easy fix on the door panel tho thanks in advance
Sorry about the late response. I don't check forum as much as before.

For those 2 connectors, each one of them has one side which you have to push down little plastic thing to release it. You need to pull out this thing while pushing those down. No need to apply much force when pulling out.

To take out the AC duct from CF trim, start working from the side shown in the picture below. I inserted small pry bar to create some gap to lift off duct trim from base CF trim (circled in green). Work first from far left or right most one. First one is hardest, but once one of them comes off, rest should be easy (total 6 on this side).
Installing back is as easy as just pushing this thing back to base.

Last edited by parky1215; 01-22-2015 at 06:04 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2015, 06:41 PM   #73
theriz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3

Garage List
2017 F80 M3  [0.00]
2011 335i M-Sport  [4.00]
2015 M3  [0.00]
2009 X5  [10.00]
I feel like if I did any of this I'd just make it worse...

On a serious note I gotta try that Gummi Pflege. Great thread.
      01-22-2015, 08:03 PM   #74
woosolow
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Sorry about the late response. I don't check forum as much as before.

For those 2 connectors, each one of them has one side which you have to push down little plastic thing to release it. You need to pull out this thing while pushing those down. No need to apply much force when pulling out.

To take out the AC duct from CF trim, start working from the side shown in the picture below. I inserted small pry bar to create some gap to lift off duct trim from base CF trim (circled in green). Work first from far left or right most one. First one is hardest, but once one of them comes off, rest should be easy (total 6 on this side).
Installing back is as easy as just pushing this thing back to base.
OP, deeply appreciated for your kind response. i can tell you now drive happily with ur rocket (without all these fu*kin rattle noises), so u dont get on the forum as frequent as before

i've scheduled an appointment with my dealer on this coming monday for my break-in service, i gotta try luck to see if they can fix it for me first. (altho i have a sense that 90% they will prob say they can't hear shit at all except the engine lol , as mentioned by other member earlier lol)

if they can't fix it then i will take the CF dash off again next week and will keep u updated.

by the way, i found that it rattles more significantly during the cold start (let say when i drive it out from my garage to work, talking about -15 degrees celsius plus windchill [feels like -20] right now in toronto) (approx. 5 fahrenheit) . do you feel the same OP?

thanks OP.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2015, 12:57 PM   #75
parky1215
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
OP, deeply appreciated for your kind response. i can tell you now drive happily with ur rocket (without all these fu*kin rattle noises), so u dont get on the forum as frequent as before

i've scheduled an appointment with my dealer on this coming monday for my break-in service, i gotta try luck to see if they can fix it for me first. (altho i have a sense that 90% they will prob say they can't hear shit at all except the engine lol , as mentioned by other member earlier lol)

if they can't fix it then i will take the CF dash off again next week and will keep u updated.

by the way, i found that it rattles more significantly during the cold start (let say when i drive it out from my garage to work, talking about -15 degrees celsius plus windchill [feels like -20] right now in toronto) (approx. 5 fahrenheit) . do you feel the same OP?

thanks OP.
It's never that cold here in California. In my case, rattle noise are pretty much same every time.

Door panel rattles are mostly gone after I patched few stuff. However, I have some weird rattle that occurs only when I accelerate really hard. It is coming from left rear passenger door side. I think it has to do something with door lock mechanism. I did do some stuff to door pin hole yesterday so I gotta test it later to see if it fixed the noise.

As for dealer, good luck with that. They will probably just laugh at you.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2015, 12:59 PM   #76
parky1215
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I finally got around to taking this apart - there are just two trim clips at the end near the rear window.

Inside you can see the two plastic clips which secure the headliner to the roof... turns out that it was these which were rattling and squeaking. I put a bit of lubricant on the clips and then replaced the stoplight cover firmly.

Rattles all gone!
Do you have any pics of this?
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2015, 03:48 PM   #77
pbar
Captain
Rep
Drives: 992 GTS, Tesla M3P

Quote:
Do you have any pics of this?
No, sorry - all I have is a printout of the repair instructions from BMW TIS.

The cover for the rear stoplight is held to the roof by two clips - #1 in the middle image below. You remove it by pulling down on the edge nearest the rear window, as shown by the arrow in the first image.

Once the stoplight cover is removed you can see the headliner clips an inch or two either side of the stoplight. The clips which were squeaking/rattling are labeled #4 in this picture:
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...67&hg=51&fg=40
i.e. the two central ones which hold the headliner to the roof.

I was lazy and just sprayed a bit of WD40 on the clip and pushed them in tighter.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
qskid2810.50
      01-23-2015, 04:31 PM   #78
parky1215
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
No, sorry - all I have is a printout of the repair instructions from BMW TIS.

The cover for the rear stoplight is held to the roof by two clips - #1 in the middle image below. You remove it by pulling down on the edge nearest the rear window, as shown by the arrow in the first image.

Once the stoplight cover is removed you can see the headliner clips an inch or two either side of the stoplight. The clips which were squeaking/rattling are labeled #4 in this picture:
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...67&hg=51&fg=40
i.e. the two central ones which hold the headliner to the roof.

I was lazy and just sprayed a bit of WD40 on the clip and pushed them in tighter.
Thanks for the pic. I will check this out later.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2015, 10:11 AM   #79
woosolow
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
It's never that cold here in California. In my case, rattle noise are pretty much same every time.

Door panel rattles are mostly gone after I patched few stuff. However, I have some weird rattle that occurs only when I accelerate really hard. It is coming from left rear passenger door side. I think it has to do something with door lock mechanism. I did do some stuff to door pin hole yesterday so I gotta test it later to see if it fixed the noise.

As for dealer, good luck with that. They will probably just laugh at you.
so i went to the dealer and mentioned about the rattle noise from the CF trim around the center vent area ... they kinda fixed it, 80% of the noise was eliminated (still some rattle on the passenger side vent i believe)

i will go to the dealer again next week and seek for help on the passenger side as well. wish me luck
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2015, 11:14 AM   #80
parky1215
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
so i went to the dealer and mentioned about the rattle noise from the CF trim around the center vent area ... they kinda fixed it, 80% of the noise was eliminated (still some rattle on the passenger side vent i believe)

i will go to the dealer again next week and seek for help on the passenger side as well. wish me luck
Your dealer service dept is nice. Lucky.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2015, 02:18 PM   #81
woosolow
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Your dealer service dept is nice. Lucky.
Thanks OP. but your post is definitely a triple AAA+ for everyone of us.

oh well, something inside the door panel is making noises... GAY
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2015, 11:10 PM   #82
parky1215
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Just want to write small update to dome light rattle issue.
This part that I am about to mention was ok when I first got my car.
However, it gradually got worse and started to make squeaking and rattling noise on uneven road.

I took out dome light again (see first post) and found exact location that was causing the noise.

After you take off dome light, you will see white plastic plastic that goes across left/right side of the hole. It is attached to metal frame by 2 plastic screws.
I noticed that there were some gap in the middle section (between 2 plastic screws) causing it to rattle against metal frame. You can test it by lightly tapping that section upward.

Good fix would be to take those plastic screws off then apply some felt tapes between metal frame and plastic. However, I couldn't figure out how to take those screws off.

Instead, I just insert felt tape (marked in red in picture) to eliminate the noise. I had to stack 4x 1mm felt tape to fill the gap between these 2 parts. After this fix, I was able to completing eliminate noise coming from dome light area!

I will update main post shortly.
As for door rattle, I was able to eliminate some noise with my quick fix not mentioned here. But I am still not satisfied with the result.
I will eventually take the door panel off the car and check inside the panel.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2015, 01:58 AM   #83
FogCityM3
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M3 (E90) & Porsche GT3 RS

Seriously....would send this to BMW HQ so that they can take note and improve models in the future. They do listen to customers and given the number of complaints, would behoove them to do something about it and these modifications are easy fixes for the company.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tag View Post
Wow, I'm amazed how many rattles the F8x has. Thinking of picking up one next year but all these rattles would drive me insane. Why is everyone doing this stuff on their own? Why not take it to the dealer and have them fix it?
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2015, 06:34 AM   #84
Siciliano611
Major
Rep
Drives: SMB M6GC

The only rattle I have is from the rear dome light area...anyone have this one??
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2015, 09:30 PM   #85
TheHitchhiker
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X5 50i

Guys, anyone driving an F83 having some rubbing noise from the roof right on top of the driver's head? I think it is coming from the headliner rubbing where the convertible panels touch each other but not really sure. I removed some of the headliner trim and checked for things that may be rubbing underneath but no luck. It happens when the car is flexing on ramps. Annoying.

Past: 2016 F10 550i M-Sport ~ 2015 F83 M4 Convertible ~ 2013 F30 335i M-Sport ~ 2006 E85 Z4 30i
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2015, 04:39 PM   #86
whatheheck
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Ferrari 360, 2015 SO M4

Thanks for a great thread. This info will come in handy for me post warranty.

I just took delivery of my 2015 M4 a month ago and happy to say the only rattle I hear is the front dome light. I have a very good dealership here in Seattle and a great SA so I will just take it to them and let them fix it.

Like one member said, they get enough complaints about rattles and warranty costs BMW to have them all fixed and hopefully they do better for future build.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2015, 10:31 AM   #87
woosolow
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatheheck View Post
Thanks for a great thread. This info will come in handy for me post warranty.

I just took delivery of my 2015 M4 a month ago and happy to say the only rattle I hear is the front dome light. I have a very good dealership here in Seattle and a great SA so I will just take it to them and let them fix it.

Like one member said, they get enough complaints about rattles and warranty costs BMW to have them all fixed and hopefully they do better for future build.

good to know u only experience the issue with the dome light...

i took mine to dealer to fix the CF dash, but issues come back again and they even filed a "puma case" about it, but then no any further updates.

as far as i know (1 of their tech told me), the dealer wont bother to spend much 'time' on it, they just have someone to look it up and put some felt tape... that's all, wont spend much time on it to further diagnostic.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2015, 10:48 AM   #88
MKParris
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3CX

Garage List
I have heard a few rattles in the last 900 miles...however I just turn the stereo up and they magically go away.

This is good info though and the rattles I have heard seem to be coming from the dome light and pass door speaker area.

Current: 2022 M3 CompX, 2024 M2 6-Spd
Appreciate 0