ARMA SPEED
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > DIY and Coding Discussions

05-07-2019, 08:42 AM   #67
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2 Coupe, 2020 GLE 450

Garage List
Airbag removal

I've read somewhere you should disconnect the battery before removing the airbag - did anyone do this?

Greg Lake Oswego, Oregon, USA
2023 M2 Coupe - Brooklyn Grey/Cognac/CF, 6MT; 2020 MB GLE 450
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2019, 12:35 PM   #68
backagain
just a fool
China
Rep
Drives: 2016 SO coded M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW / Oregon View Post
I've read somewhere you should disconnect the battery before removing the airbag - did anyone do this?
I did, just to make sure the airbag won't be inadvertently triggered. It wasn't a big deal 'cause only having to reset the time after reconnecting the battery.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2019, 03:17 PM   #69
HKMP7
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4

Quote:
Yes that is correct
Disconnect the battery and be sure not to shut the trunk or you'll be locked out.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2019, 01:24 AM   #70
HKMP7
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Did a quick video on how to remove the airbag
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2019, 04:26 PM   #71
DocsF90M5
Private
Rep
Drives: '19 F90 M5C

Thumbs up

Followed your write-up, and couldn't have been easier!

Excellent write-up!

Thanks!
      05-22-2019, 12:58 AM   #72
HKMP7
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocsF80M3 View Post
Followed your write-up, and couldn't have been easier!

Excellent write-up!

Thanks!
Awesome glad it helped.
Cheers,
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2019, 09:33 AM   #73
DocsF90M5
Private
Rep
Drives: '19 F90 M5C

Attached Images

06-07-2019, 11:09 PM   #74
TrauCon
Private First Class
Vietnam
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 AlpineWhite

Thumbs up

Thank you to OP.

I installed this today without removing the wheel, or the trim fully.

One thing I want to mention is that the M setting will not work righ away after reconnecting the battery (it would just flasing when press on it). I took it for a short drive then it all function again.

Appreciate 0
      06-08-2019, 08:53 PM   #75
HKMP7
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocsF80M3 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrauCon View Post
Thank you to OP.

I installed this today without removing the wheel, or the trim fully.

One thing I want to mention is that the M setting will not work righ away after reconnecting the battery (it would just flasing when press on it). I took it for a short drive then it all function again.

[IMG]https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/YX...=w1379-h776-no[/IMG]

[IMG]https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/6h...=w1379-h776-no[/IMG]
Looking good guys
Glad I was able to help.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2019, 06:10 PM   #76
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2 Coupe, 2020 GLE 450

Garage List
I just did this without even removing the airbag on my '15 M4 manual (maybe it's different with DCT). First I did remove it, then I got to looking at it and realized the airbag was not restricting removal of the button pod, so put it back in. Just took out the T20 screw from the back of the wheel using a compact ratchet and worked the button pod out to the outside of the wheel. Easy-peasy!

If for some reason you do want to remove the airbag I found a 6mm T-handle hex wrench worked well. And there's no need to disconnect it; you can just swing it up out of the way. No need to disconnect battery if you're not messing with the connections, either.
Attached Images

Greg Lake Oswego, Oregon, USA
2023 M2 Coupe - Brooklyn Grey/Cognac/CF, 6MT; 2020 MB GLE 450
Appreciate 2
HKMP7244.00
      06-20-2019, 06:49 PM   #77
Groganrocket
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2010 e90 335i and 2015m4

Quote:
I just did this without even removing the airbag on my '15 M4 manual (maybe it's different with DCT). First I did remove it, then I got to looking at it and realized the airbag was not restricting removal of the button pod, so put it back in. Just took out the T20 screw from the back of the wheel using a compact ratchet and worked the button pod out to the outside of the wheel. Easy-peasy!

If for some reason you do want to remove the airbag I found a 6mm T-handle hex wrench worked well. And there's no need to disconnect it; you can just swing it up out of the way. No need to disconnect battery if you're not messing with the connections, either.
Nice.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2019, 06:58 AM   #78
sbrtrg
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M4

Quote:

can anyone confirm you can do this without removal on dct cars?
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2019, 11:30 PM   #79
backagain
just a fool
China
Rep
Drives: 2016 SO coded M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbrtrg View Post
The DCT paddles are in the way. To remove them, you'll have to remove the trim, which then requires the removal of the airbag. But it really isn't that big of a deal, even though it sounds a bit intimidating.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2019, 02:01 PM   #80
jailonacs99
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 M4 xDrive Competition

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by backagain View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbrtrg View Post
The DCT paddles are in the way. To remove them, you'll have to remove the trim, which then requires the removal of the airbag. But it really isn't that big of a deal, even though it sounds a bit intimidating.
Ditto, the screws to remove the paddles are inside of the wheel. Airbag removal is only a pain because you want to unhook the battery (which is easy, just one terminal node needs to be unscrewed and it's easy access in the trunk) and you need to hit the little wire latches inside the wheel just right.

What I had been dreading was removing the whole steering wheel, but that's necessary, you can get access to the screws behind the wheel with it still attached. Just double check your steering wheel is at the right angle before unhooking your battery. Otherwise you can't turn it with the power off.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2019, 10:07 PM   #81
ICBM
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2015 X6M

I did it without removing anything at all ( except the m1 m2 buttons

I used some protective tape and gently applied pressure with a small flat screwdriver and popes out easily. Gentle pressure on one side(upper side) until you hear a small "click" and than repeat the opposite side and done!

I did't damaged the OEM buttons at all . Ever better will be to use a plastic tool but I was to lazy to go and search for mine

*I would recommend this for expert lever

p.s. The start/stop button will come out so easily that you could use american tape and pull.

Unfortunately I can't manage to upload pictures atm but it was a flawless switch. They have exactly the same clipping system as the START/STOP button but can't be done by pulling using sticky. Not enough surface to stick for enough grip. Make sure to use a thick protective tape or maybe 3-4 sicked together electrical band and there won't be any marks left. Best is to use plastic tool. If I will have to do it again will take me 1-2min. It's super easy with the plastic tool

Last edited by ICBM; 08-13-2019 at 11:29 AM..
Appreciate 3
sna66503.00
      08-13-2019, 10:26 AM   #82
jailonacs99
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 M4 xDrive Competition

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ICBM View Post

I used some protective tape and gently applied pressure with a small flat screwdriver and popes out easily. Gentle pressure on one side(upper side) until you hear a small "click" and than repeat the opposite side and done!

I did't damaged the OEM buttons at all . Ever better will be to use a plastic tool but I was to lazy to go and search for mine

p.s. The start/stop button will come out so easily that you could use american tape and pull.
Nonsense. Safest way is to go in through the drivers side wheel well, remove the underbody cladding, engine, firewall, air cabin micro filter (that one's key), and dash before accessing the back of the steering wheel. Then follow post #1.

I'd be scared I'd break the tabs, but maybe the next time I'll give that a shot.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2019, 02:07 PM   #83
Jockey
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 992 C4S

That took 10 min.

Hardest part was the 3rd white tab fell out of the back and I couldn't remember where it went, ha.

Another advantage of 6MT!
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2019, 07:43 PM   #84
cigarsmoker
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 F82 MG

Thanks, OP! Took me 30 mins and didn't have to take off the steering wheel (DCT). Hardest part for me was getting the original buttons out. I had to simultaneously push outward on both tabs vs one at a time.
Attached Images

08-18-2019, 11:35 PM   #85
sna66
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F83

Quote:
Originally Posted by jailonacs99 View Post
Nonsense. Safest way is to go in through the drivers side wheel well, remove the underbody cladding, engine, firewall, air cabin micro filter (that one's key), and dash before accessing the back of the steering wheel. Then follow post #1.

I'd be scared I'd break the tabs, but maybe the next time I'll give that a shot.
do you HAVE to remove the engine, or might there be a way that one can work around this step?
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2019, 11:38 PM   #86
sna66
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Unfortunately I can't manage to upload pictures atm but it was a flawless switch. They have exactly the same clipping system as the START/STOP button but can't be done by pulling using sticky. Not enough surface to stick for enough grip. Make sure to use a thick protective tape or maybe 3-4 sicked together electrical band and there won't be any marks left. Best is to use plastic tool. If I will have to do it again will take me 1-2min. It's super easy with the plastic tool
im very interested in doing this as i think I will spin my crank hub if i remove the negative terminal of my battery and the air bag will explode in my face.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2019, 11:45 PM   #87
sna66
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:

so you literally stuck a screw driver where the black arrow is pointing and pried out the button, then pressed in the red ones?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-21-2019, 03:08 PM   #88
Fortyb
M-GAM3
Rep
Drives: 2016 SO M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sna66 View Post
so you literally stuck a screw driver where the black arrow is pointing and pried out the button, then pressed in the red ones?
That was going to be my plan except with two plastic prying tools. The buttons are held in place with plastic tabs.
Attached Images