Pandora Car Alarm System
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

10-27-2017, 07:19 PM   #1
stormlv
Human
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: Yes

Got my first drivetrain warning today ...

As the title says, I got a drivetrain warning today while in stop and go traffic.

It said that I can continue driving.

I was in my sporty M2 mode (Sport+ throttle mode, S3, Sport suspension, Comfort Steering) and switched to M1 (Efficient Throttle, D3, Comfort suspension, Comfort Steering) and after a few seconds the warning disappeared.

I switched back to M2 and I didn't have any problems for the remainder of the trip.

When I got home I hooked up ISTA/D and saw this code stored.

Any thoughts on what this could be?
2010 BMW Z4 sDrive35i DKG | 306 HP / 400Nm | Space Gray | Photo album
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2017, 10:02 PM   #2
FlyingLow78
The G8X is a disaster. 🤮
Rep
Drives: Not a BMW anymore

I would first check the coolant level in in the intercooler reservoir (rear center of engine bay, by the intercooler). If it's full, then the fault code suggests an issue with the intercooler coolant pump. I find it interesting that it cleared on its own.

I imagine it's fairly cool in Geneva this time of year, so the car shouldn't have had any issues keeping the engine & intercooler temperatures under control. I seem to recall that the car will try to maintain a slightly lower engine temperature in Sport or Sport+, but I don't think that's related.

I haven't played with ISTA, but I see a tab labeled Troubleshooting. Does it offer any guidance?
Appreciate 1
stormlv930.50
      10-28-2017, 07:57 AM   #3
stormlv
Human
Switzerland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingLow78 View Post
I would first check the coolant level in in the intercooler reservoir (rear center of engine bay, by the intercooler). If it's full, then the fault code suggests an issue with the intercooler coolant pump. I find it interesting that it cleared on its own.

I imagine it's fairly cool in Geneva this time of year, so the car shouldn't have had any issues keeping the engine & intercooler temperatures under control. I seem to recall that the car will try to maintain a slightly lower engine temperature in Sport or Sport+, but I don't think that's related.

I haven't played with ISTA, but I see a tab labeled Troubleshooting. Does it offer any guidance?
Temperatures were indeed ok (~18C), I doubt it would have anything to do with it.

I'll check the coolant level, but I hope it was just a glitch and it doesn't come back.

I didn't have the time to go into troubleshooting mode, but I will next time I get to it.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2017, 10:14 AM   #4
dreventador
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X5, Hellrot F80 M4

What kind of fuel were you running?
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2017, 10:33 AM   #5
heckyeahbro69
Captain
Rep
Drives: m3

As flying low said, check the small coolant tank closest to the windshield. Top it off and use ista to activate the pump while the cap is open. You will be able to see fluid flowing around in the tank and it will bleed any air pockets from the system. Feel free to pm me if you need help with ista. Also, there was another member on here that had a coolant leak in the intercooler and that tank kept running dry. Did you ever have any rough running?

edit: I just re read the fault. typically the tank running low sets a dry run fault. Still though, check it and see if you can activate it. Let us know what you find.
      10-28-2017, 11:03 AM   #6
Silenus
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3

Your car has a warranty, take it to the dealership. The auxiliary coolant pump will be replaced.
Appreciate 1
      10-29-2017, 10:01 AM   #7
stormlv
Human
Switzerland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreventador View Post
What kind of fuel were you running?
Shell VPower 100

Quote:
Originally Posted by heckyeahbro69 View Post
As flying low said, check the small coolant tank closest to the windshield. Top it off and use ista to activate the pump while the cap is open. You will be able to see fluid flowing around in the tank and it will bleed any air pockets from the system. Feel free to pm me if you need help with ista. Also, there was another member on here that had a coolant leak in the intercooler and that tank kept running dry. Did you ever have any rough running?

edit: I just re read the fault. typically the tank running low sets a dry run fault. Still though, check it and see if you can activate it. Let us know what you find.
Thanks for the idea!

I checked the level and to me it seems OK. See attached pictures

I also triggered the pump activation two times through ISTA and it worked...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silenus View Post
Your car has a warranty, take it to the dealership. The auxiliary coolant pump will be replaced.
Goddamn...Why didn't I think of that?
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2021, 01:39 PM   #8
itsadriancx
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M3, 2021 BMW X6 M Com

I just had this happen to me today I turned the car on and I got drivetrain malfunction but it went away after like 5 seconds. I checked the codes and I got the same one like you. Did you end up fixing it??
Appreciate 0