European Auto Source (EAS)
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

08-25-2021, 11:54 PM   #1
wuzhatning
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 F82

FELLA Big brake kit for F8x 6pot/4pot special sale for $4500

Hello team,

I was searching for big brake kit and came across this seller from korea selling FELLA big brake kit. THe kit is made in Korea. So Ive been watching it for a week then seller had a limited time offer to buy just the front set for $2500 (normal price was about $3600). I contacted seller via ebay, and ask what his best price for the full front and rear set. $4,500 is what he's offering plus free shipping. I think I'm gonna bite, he's made a special listing for me, so thought I should share:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/124870712708

I don't know how many orders he's gonna honor (it says only 2 available on the listing). Right now i'm waiting for him to fix the listing, so I can select Free Shipping.

edit: he fixed the listing for free shipping. i paid total of $4,916 after tax

Last edited by wuzhatning; 08-26-2021 at 12:15 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2021, 09:48 AM   #2
spdrcrgtr
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 Heritage

IMO I wouldn't do it ... the brakes on the M4 are really good, so if you're going to upgrade go with something that has been tried and tested. This BBK would be more of a visual upgrade than a performance upgrade IMO.

Don't get me wrong, the price and look are appealing, but I wouldn't downgrade for the look.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2021, 02:28 PM   #3
wuzhatning
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by spdrcrgtr View Post
IMO I wouldn't do it ... the brakes on the M4 are really good, so if you're going to upgrade go with something that has been tried and tested. This BBK would be more of a visual upgrade than a performance upgrade IMO.

Don't get me wrong, the price and look are appealing, but I wouldn't downgrade for the look.
To each and this own bro. It hasnt been tried or tested but doesn't mean its a downgrade. Ive had positive experience with an asian branded bbk before, and its performance was much better than brembo brakes i had on a different platform.

To be honest i dont really track my car, so this is mainly a cosmetic upgrade, plus i could use a little more stopping power from bigger brakes for my spirited driving lol. Imo brake technology is quite old and not rocket science, im taking a leap of faith and believe in this korean mfg.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2021, 04:04 PM   #4
heyyouduh
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by wuzhatning View Post
To each and this own bro. It hasnt been tried or tested but doesn't mean its a downgrade. Ive had positive experience with an asian branded bbk before, and its performance was much better than brembo brakes i had on a different platform.

To be honest i dont really track my car, so this is mainly a cosmetic upgrade, plus i could use a little more stopping power from bigger brakes for my spirited driving lol. Imo brake technology is quite old and not rocket science, im taking a leap of faith and believe in this korean mfg.
stopping power has very little to do with bigger brakes. bigger brakes are for heat management for repeated hard braking, like on track. better tires or different pads will get you more "stopping power."

just getting a big brake kit that's not carefully designed with the right brake bias in mind will often result in longer stopping distances... and have you thought about getting replacement pads and rotors? I mean... do you even know what pad shape they use?
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2021, 02:09 AM   #5
wuzhatning
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by heyyouduh View Post
stopping power has very little to do with bigger brakes. bigger brakes are for heat management for repeated hard braking, like on track. better tires or different pads will get you more "stopping power."

just getting a big brake kit that's not carefully designed with the right brake bias in mind will often result in longer stopping distances... and have you thought about getting replacement pads and rotors? I mean... do you even know what pad shape they use?
maybe i'm not using the correct term, but i meant when i was using an asian branded 8pot/6pot bbk, the car stopped quicker and it felt like the brake could handle a lot more....if that makes sense lol

but frankly i never tracked ever, so i really don't have any idea how the asian bbk performs vs brembo/ap racing/stoptech on the track. my experience is solely based on street driving.

good point, i honestly don't even know how the pads gonna look like, but i highly doubt it'll be hard to find replacement. my previous asian brake setup could use pads that fit with a particular AP racing bbk.

edit: here are some photos of the pads that I think im gonna get. the rotor pattern in the photo with blue capilers is what i ordered. i believe rotor sizes are 380x34mm and 380x30mm
Attached Images

Last edited by wuzhatning; 08-27-2021 at 02:22 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2021, 12:37 PM   #6
spdrcrgtr
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 Heritage

Don't get me wrong, I think they look great and would look even better on the car ... just saying IMO I personally wouldn't change the brakes on the F8x to something that's not tested, even if you don't track the car. I mean it can even come down to the qualify of the build ... floating rotors can come apart ... that would be bad. Just saying ... brakes are really critical, even if you don't track .. just on the streets if you need to stop fast/emergency situation, you don't want the brakes to be the weak link.

I have had other cars with shitty brakes and I hated it ... spongy feel, longer braking distance, and overheating (of the brakes/pads).

One last thing and I'm going to leave it here ... I always use this mantra ... "Go cheap, pay twice" ... not saying these are cheap but definitely less expensive than Brembos or the like. Price doesn't always equal quality, but without reviews in the real world, it's hard to gauge other than on price.

Last edited by spdrcrgtr; 08-27-2021 at 12:43 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2021, 10:18 PM   #7
wuzhatning
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by spdrcrgtr View Post
Don't get me wrong, I think they look great and would look even better on the car ... just saying IMO I personally wouldn't change the brakes on the F8x to something that's not tested, even if you don't track the car. I mean it can even come down to the qualify of the build ... floating rotors can come apart ... that would be bad. Just saying ... brakes are really critical, even if you don't track .. just on the streets if you need to stop fast/emergency situation, you don't want the brakes to be the weak link.

I have had other cars with shitty brakes and I hated it ... spongy feel, longer braking distance, and overheating (of the brakes/pads).

One last thing and I'm going to leave it here ... I always use this mantra ... "Go cheap, pay twice" ... not saying these are cheap but definitely less expensive than Brembos or the like. Price doesn't always equal quality, but without reviews in the real world, it's hard to gauge other than on price.
valid points, a close buddy of mine said the same thing. I guess i'll be the guinea pig for the team

I'll probably find someone local to test the brakes when they're on my car, to see what they think about it.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2021, 12:37 AM   #8
wuzhatning
Second Lieutenant
Rep

the only pro that is running these brakes i could find is this korean drifter,

Appreciate 0
      09-04-2021, 04:39 AM   #9
edwinm3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82

rule # 1, don't mess around with tires and brakes

Grigio Telesto M4, 6MT.
Coyote 5.0 F-150
991 GT3
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2021, 11:41 PM   #10
x.shell
▆ ✚✚   ▆▆▆▆▆▆
Rep
Drives: ▋ ▉▉

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwinm3 View Post
rule # 1, don't mess around with tires and brakes
I fully agree.

This thread is like deja vue. If you can endure this nightmare thread… Ceika Brakes.

https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1666297

For BBK, just go tried and true. But hey OP, it's your car. Hope it works out.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2021, 04:32 AM   #11
wuzhatning
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by x.shell View Post
I fully agree.

This thread is like deja vue. If you can endure this nightmare thread… Ceika Brakes.

https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1666297

For BBK, just go tried and true. But hey OP, it's your car. Hope it works out.
hahaha hopefully i won't have to go thru all that. besides the problem with the brackets, he seems to be happy with its performance. I should receive them in a day or two, let's see how this turns out..
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2021, 05:57 AM   #12
DRLane
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2008 m3  [6.63]
You're buying garbage. Sorry! I know you don't want to hear this but you posted on a public forum. Waste of $4500 plus shipping.
      09-06-2021, 06:30 AM   #13
wuzhatning
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRLane View Post
You're buying garbage. Sorry! I know you don't want to hear this but you posted on a public forum. Waste of $4500 plus shipping.
i respect your opinion. is this one of those "ive never heard of it, therefore its bad" opinions, or do you have some info that we don't know about?
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2021, 08:46 AM   #14
DRLane
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2008 m3  [6.63]
Quote:
Originally Posted by wuzhatning View Post
Quote:
i respect your opinion. is this one of those "ive never heard of it, therefore its bad" opinions, or do you have some info that we don't know about?
First, your original post reads like an advertisement which if you're not a sponsor is grounds for having the post removed / banning. If you're affiliated with Fella you need to be transparent.

Secondly, I'm not doing your research. I don't care what you do. You've been warned by a number of users above but you're looking for confirmation on your purchase. Start with some research on the calipers and rotors (hats, disks, and hardware) of comparable street line products from Stoptech, Brembo, and AP. YOU'LL START TO SEE SOME GLARING DIFFERENCES the other designs share yet these don't. Then ask about the piston sizes, materials, seals and confirm you're getting a purpose built workable bias. Ask about types of materials used here. There's a reason mono bloc calipers are super expensive and if these are made in Korea which isn't a low wage labor country. Where's the margin? Lastly, look at those pads. Are you prepared to drill out custom notches on all your replacements to make them work? Why don't you have to modify those on other brands?

Lastly, when you do inevitably buy this junk. Know unlike investing in a real BBK or better yet for your purposes OEM. These will have $0 resale value.

EDIT: Sorry! I just reread this and the tone is harsh. Up late at night and morning with a newborn baby and this forum has been my escape.

Opinion still stands, but I'll dial back the asshole…
      09-06-2021, 03:52 PM   #15
wuzhatning
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
First, your original post reads like an advertisement which if you're not a sponsor is grounds for having the post removed / banning. If you're affiliated with Fella you need to be transparent.

Secondly, I'm not doing your research. I don't care what you do. You've been warned by a number of users above but you're looking for confirmation on your purchase. Start with some research on the calipers and rotors (hats, disks, and hardware) of comparable street line products from Stoptech, Brembo, and AP. YOU'LL START TO SEE SOME GLARING DIFFERENCES the other designs share yet these don't. Then ask about the piston sizes, materials, seals and confirm you're getting a purpose built workable bias. Ask about types of materials used here. There's a reason mono bloc calipers are super expensive and if these are made in Korea which isn't a low wage labor country. Where's the margin? Lastly, look at those pads. Are you prepared to drill out custom notches on all your replacements to make them work? Why don't you have to modify those on other brands?

Lastly, when you do inevitably buy this junk. Know unlike investing in a real BBK or better yet for your purposes OEM. These will have $0 resale value.

EDIT: Sorry! I just reread this and the tone is harsh. Up late at night and morning with a newborn baby and this forum has been my escape.

Opinion still stands, but I'll dial back the asshole…
Lol i can confirm im not making a penny from fella, just thought I should share a good deal to the community. Appreciate you giving me more insights on what to look at.

What similarities in design that other brands share but fella doesn't have? I know the pistons come in different sizes just like other big brands. Im still trying to figure out how to calculate brakes bias.

Take it ez dude, and Congratz on ur new born!
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2021, 08:51 PM   #16
NickyC
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: M4 CS. Former G82, x2 F82, F80

Buying these is a worse idea than me buying that G82.
Appreciate 3
jfritz271107.00
icegrill2078.00
spidy512491.50
      09-06-2021, 10:00 PM   #17
icegrill
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3

I mean the name tho!?
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2021, 11:16 PM   #18
APR-M4!
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 16 BMW M4

For $4500 I would think you could get a Stoptech bbk. Also, you will likely need sticky and/or bigger tires to realize better braking from the bbk.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2021, 12:08 AM   #19
fiveohwblow
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15, E46 & M3, F82

I changed the pads on my f82 and for the street they do quite alright.

Then again I never understand people who instantly go bbk. I track an E46M on stock calipers… yup, the ones everyone states suck. Few buddies and I run stock calipers in many classes. Just gotta know what pads, rotors, fluid, lines etc and they work great. Reason I mention it, f8x brakes are worlds better than the E46M, and i’m not even tracking it the f82…
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2021, 02:51 AM   #20
wuzhatning
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyC View Post
Buying these is a worse idea than me buying that G82.
lol not as bad as me losing 20k at the pokers table the other night
Appreciate 2
NickyC17473.50
spidy512491.50
      09-07-2021, 02:53 AM   #21
wuzhatning
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiveohwblow View Post
I changed the pads on my f82 and for the street they do quite alright.

Then again I never understand people who instantly go bbk. I track an E46M on stock calipers… yup, the ones everyone states suck. Few buddies and I run stock calipers in many classes. Just gotta know what pads, rotors, fluid, lines etc and they work great. Reason I mention it, f8x brakes are worlds better than the E46M, and i’m not even tracking it the f82…
i mentioned about not taking my car to the track in OP, and this is purely cosmetic upgrade for me. well hopefully it's slightly better than stock brake
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2021, 02:56 AM   #22
wuzhatning
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by APR-M4! View Post
For $4500 I would think you could get a Stoptech bbk. Also, you will likely need sticky and/or bigger tires to realize better braking from the bbk.
so many people have stoptech, so I'm not really that into it. I want brembo but it's kinda out of the budget I've set for car money.
Appreciate 0