Next Level Auto Brokers
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

09-07-2021, 12:50 PM   #23
NickyC
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: M4 CS. Former G82, x2 F82, F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by wuzhatning View Post
i mentioned about not taking my car to the track in OP, and this is purely cosmetic upgrade for me. well hopefully it's slightly better than stock brake
Do what the rest of us do, paint the calipers a custom color and stamp Brembo on them. That way you get a custom BBK look for a fraction of the cost and you’re not lying because the calipers really are Brembo. Here’s how I did it.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-07-2021, 01:10 PM   #24
wuzhatning
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 F82

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyC View Post
Do what the rest of us do, paint the calipers a custom color and stamp Brembo on them. That way you get a custom BBK look for a fraction of the cost and you’re not lying because the calipers really are Brembo. Here’s how I did it.
Lmao how 'bout i paint these fella calipers and put on brembo sticker. Great idea bro 😂😂
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2021, 02:57 PM   #25
NickyC
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: M4 CS. Former G82, x2 F82, F80

Quote:
Lmao how 'bout i paint these fella calipers and put on brembo sticker. Great idea bro 😂😂
No, then you’d be lying along with having some untested product stopping your vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2021, 01:35 AM   #26
wuzhatning
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Just got them brakes today. Initial thought when i held these in my hands, i thought theyre kinda heavy, so i threw it on a regular home scale so accuracy may be off a little:

6pot caliper without pad is 9.8pounds (w/pads 13.8 lbs)
Piston sizes in respective order (diameters in pairs): 38mm, 35mm, 33mm

4pot caliper without pad 6.4 lbs (w/ pads 8 lbs)
Piston sizes (diameter): 28mm for all 4 of them
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2021, 01:36 AM   #27
wuzhatning
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyC View Post
No, then you’d be lying along with having some untested product stopping your vehicle.

I was joking, lighten up b
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2021, 11:30 AM   #28
dvq
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Competition

Based on the measurements you provided for pistons, and their ebay ad, assuming no other changes are made -- you're shifting your front bias from 61.50% (oem) to 68.60% (fella). You're also increasing the overall piston area by 3.69% which will have a proportionate 3.69% decrease in pedal stiffness (or at least that what you'll feel).

That's a fairly big front bias shift, I think most of the BBKs on the market try to keep front bias within 1% or so of OEM as not to upset all the ABS/Stability systems. For example the Stoptech STR-60 kit for our cars keeps the front bias to 62.6%.

If you don't track, you'll notice a slightly softer pedal, if you do track you'll likely see worse stopping distances and changes in handling under braking.
Appreciate 1
      09-09-2021, 01:37 AM   #29
wuzhatning
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvq View Post
Based on the measurements you provided for pistons, and their ebay ad, assuming no other changes are made -- you're shifting your front bias from 61.50% (oem) to 68.60% (fella). You're also increasing the overall piston area by 3.69% which will have a proportionate 3.69% decrease in pedal stiffness (or at least that what you'll feel).

That's a fairly big front bias shift, I think most of the BBKs on the market try to keep front bias within 1% or so of OEM as not to upset all the ABS/Stability systems. For example the Stoptech STR-60 kit for our cars keeps the front bias to 62.6%.

If you don't track, you'll notice a slightly softer pedal, if you do track you'll likely see worse stopping distances and changes in handling under braking.

Im not sure which calculator you used, but i used one from tceperformanceproducts.com/bias-calculator

And also got 68.6% front brake bias for the fella Bbk.

However, when i used this same calculator to calculate brake bias for ccb (front pistons 36mm/34mm/30mm, rear pistons 28mm/28mm, rotor diameter 400mm) i got 66.20% front

And for stock iron blue brakes (front pistons 40mm/40mm, rear pistons 40mm, rotor diameter 370mm) i got 64.50% front

Im sure the calculator aint that accurate, but its somewhat of a reference to see the differences in brake bias among those 3 different brake systems.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-09-2021, 05:00 AM   #30
Bluer2
Captain
Rep
Drives: F80

BMW sells an OEM big brake kit for our cars. It's called the M2 Competition Brakes. I'd rather install that than this POS.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2021, 07:50 AM   #31
dvq
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Competition

Quote:
Quote:

Im not sure which calculator you used, but i used one from tceperformanceproducts.com/bias-calculator

And also got 68.6% front brake bias for the fella Bbk.

However, when i used this same calculator to calculate brake bias for ccb (front pistons 36mm/34mm/30mm, rear pistons 28mm/28mm, rotor diameter 400mm) i got 66.20% front

And for stock iron blue brakes (front pistons 40mm/40mm, rear pistons 40mm, rotor diameter 370mm) i got 64.50% front

Im sure the calculator aint that accurate, but its somewhat of a reference to see the differences in brake bias among those 3 different brake systems.
Regarding your screenshots:

I've never looked at the CCB pistons sizes so I don't know if yours are right or wrong but your rear rotor size is wrong. CCBs are 400/380 mm not 400/400 mm.

With regards to the OEM brakes, the measurements you have for rear pistons and rear rotor is wrong. Fronts are 40/40 mm and rears are 44 mm. Your calculator screenshot also shows you did not put the correct rear rotor size in, you put the front size in.

Also keep in mind as I previously mentioned, these cars are specifically optimized with software programming and hardware to achieve a good performing brake. Think of the coding and the brake master cylinder needed for CCBs.

I saw you put your oem brakes up for sale, maybe hold on to those a little bit longer until you've actually used these a bit? Try not to to justify purchases quite so fast. Even the stoptech I bought aren't perfect, there's very poor pad choice for the wide annulus front rotors they picked.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2021, 01:43 PM   #32
jim1013yyf
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: YMB M4

Quote:

I've never looked at the CCB pistons sizes so I don't know if yours are right or wrong but your rear rotor size is wrong. CCBs are 400/380 mm not 400/400 mm.

With regards to the OEM brakes, the measurements you have for rear pistons and rear rotor is wrong. Fronts are 40/40 mm and rears are 44 mm. Your calculator screenshot also shows you did not put the correct rear rotor size in, you put the front size in.

Also keep in mind as I previously mentioned, these cars are specifically optimized with software programming and hardware to achieve a good performing brake. Think of the coding and the brake master cylinder needed for CCBs.

I saw you put your oem brakes up for sale, maybe hold on to those a little bit longer until you've actually used these a bit? Try not to to justify purchases quite so fast. Even the stoptech I bought aren't perfect, there's very poor pad choice for the wide annulus front rotors they picked.
++++++1 on that last paragraph
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2021, 11:27 PM   #33
wuzhatning
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

So the the 380mm rear rotors on the ccb makes its brake bias 68.6% front using the same calculator.

Good point, i think our calculation of brake bias is not entirely accurate since there's the software variable that we haven't factored in. I understand the risk of buying these korean bbk, but it's a risk I'm willing to accept, given that I dont think the risk is as bad as some people make it out to be (relative to my usage for the car, and my prior experience with another asian bbk).

I listed the OEM brakes mainly to get some interest and have a better ideas of how much i can get them for. I'm sure i'll have some time to test the new brakes before finding someone who can pay asking price.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2021, 11:29 PM   #34
wuzhatning
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluer2 View Post
BMW sells an OEM big brake kit for our cars. It's called the M2 Competition Brakes. I'd rather install that than this POS.
to each and his own, i personally think those m2 comp calipers and ccb calipers are ugly imho
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2021, 12:44 PM   #35
prodigal77
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 YMB F82 6MT

Blew 20k at the poker table yet buying some cheap no name brakes for your car because AP Racing are out of your budget? Very solid reasoning indeed. You do you bro, but I would wager that very few would even consider purchasing those, nonetheless actually installing them.

Quote:
lol not as bad as me losing 20k at the pokers table the other night
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2021, 03:49 PM   #36
wuzhatning
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by prodigal77 View Post
Blew 20k at the poker table yet buying some cheap no name brakes for your car because AP Racing are out of your budget? Very solid reasoning indeed. You do you bro, but I would wager that very few would even consider purchasing those, nonetheless actually installing them.
Everyone has different priorities. Just like how some people foolishly buying a car that cost more than half of their annual salary. Poker is diff, cuz i might lose 20k today, but win 40k another day. I think you may have mistaken that im trying to get others buying thiswith your last sentence, lol i could really care less.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2023, 06:52 AM   #37
Dasky_spas
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Bmw

I saw these as well and kudos to you for being the first. I was thinking to throw their slotted rotors on my tuned m850i coupe. More so for looks but heat mgt is a concern for me as well given the weight of the car. Fella doesn't advertise the metallic makeup of their rotor crib what I see, which is a concern.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2023, 02:45 AM   #38
SandM3
Enlisted Member
Portugal
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Any updates?

Hey man. Been 2 years since you posted. What's your update on this?
Considering these for my E90 M3 since they are now at 3150 usd.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2023, 12:37 PM   #39
heyyouduh
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandM3 View Post
Hey man. Been 2 years since you posted. What's your update on this?
Considering these for my E90 M3 since they are now at 3150 usd.

Thanks
haven't seen the fella around in a minute
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2023, 01:21 PM   #40
SandM3
Enlisted Member
Portugal
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by heyyouduh View Post
haven't seen the fella around in a minute
Damn. I hope he didn't crash.
I was doing the math on these fellas (at 3k) over upgrading to F82 M4 standard brakes and it ends up being the same cost:
used calipers and rotors are 1400. pads 600. and spindles are another 800.
overall 2800 plus whatever additional parts.
Therefore 2800+ for F8X m3/4 or 3000 for these big boy fellas?
Going over their website, it does not look like garbage...
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2023, 07:13 AM   #41
Dasky_spas
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Bmw

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandM3 View Post
Damn. I hope he didn't crash.
I was doing the math on these fellas (at 3k) over upgrading to F82 M4 standard brakes and it ends up being the same cost:
used calipers and rotors are 1400. pads 600. and spindles are another 800.
overall 2800 plus whatever additional parts.
Therefore 2800+ for F8X m3/4 or 3000 for these big boy fellas?
Going over their website, it does not look like garbage...
Only one way to find out. Pull the trigger and let us know what arrives.
Appreciate 0