ARMA SPEED
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

12-04-2021, 05:51 PM   #1
rezilient
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4 Cabriolet

Hi guys. I just discovered the inner CV boots on my F83 are leaking grease. It was likely after lowering the car (and a couple of track days) since i didn't see anything last time it was raised when i was installing the springs a couple of months ago.

I think I caught this pretty early since I don't see any noticeable cracks or breaks in the rubber, and no weird noises or anything like that. I'm hoping the clamp just needs tightening after lowering the car, so thinking about cleaning up the mess, tighten things up and see how it goes. Or should i also inject some grease in there first?

Open to suggestions, thanks in advance.
Attached Images

2002 M5 (sold)
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2021, 08:54 PM   #2
rezilient
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rezilient View Post
Hi guys. I just discovered the inner CV boots on my F83 are leaking grease. It was likely after lowering the car (and a couple of track days) since i didn't see anything last time it was raised when i was installing the springs a couple of months ago.

I think I caught this pretty early since I don't see any noticeable cracks or breaks in the rubber, and no weird noises or anything like that. I'm hoping the clamp just needs tightening after lowering the car, so thinking about cleaning up the mess, tighten things up and see how it goes. Or should i also inject some grease in there first?

Open to suggestions, thanks in advance.
Ok so looks like i would need a new clamp since these ones are a one-time deal but anyway let me know if this could potentially be a DIY since I haven't found anything helpful online. Thanks
2002 M5 (sold)
Appreciate 1
      12-05-2021, 03:00 AM   #3
M 4 FUN
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW 320 Si, BMW M4 comp. BMW M

Hi. You need to vent it. When you are on track you get heat buildup and the air inside the boot needs to get out somewhere. Take a plastic strap and push it in between the boot and cv joint, then put the clamp back on as it was before. This way you get the air a possibility to get out and you won't get high air pressure inside.

Last edited by M 4 FUN; 01-27-2022 at 12:51 AM..
Appreciate 1
      12-05-2021, 08:22 PM   #4
rezilient
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M 4 FUN View Post
Hi. You need to vent the it. When you are on track you get heat buildup and the air inside the boot needs to get out somewhere. Take a plastic strap and push it in between the boot and cv joint, then put the clamp back on as it was before. This way you get the air a possibility to get out and you won't get high air pressure inside.
Thanks, should i fill the cv boot with new grease in case too much leaked out? It doesn't look like a lot came out but its tough to know for sure. If so, any tips for type of grease and how to fill it without removing the boot? Also i was reading another post where the guy said his mechanic put tiny pinholes for venting, any thoughts on that? Thanks.
2002 M5 (sold)
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2021, 08:43 AM   #5
M 4 FUN
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW 320 Si, BMW M4 comp. BMW M

Quote:
Originally Posted by rezilient View Post
Thanks, should i fill the cv boot with new grease in case too much leaked out? It doesn't look like a lot came out but its tough to know for sure. If so, any tips for type of grease and how to fill it without removing the boot? Also i was reading another post where the guy said his mechanic put tiny pinholes for venting, any thoughts on that? Thanks.
I don't think that should be necessary, it's not much that has come out.
don't know about pinholes but i know guys who do the mod with plastic strap for Nurburgring track driving and it works fine for them.
Appreciate 1
      12-14-2021, 08:24 AM   #6
branpham
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 6MT F82

This happened to my 2015 M4 a year ago. Had a shop with an endurance race M4 share that it was indeed pressure build up inside and poor design. They used a pinhole fix for theirs and suggested it for mine as well. Haven't had an issue since.

2015 F82 6MT Mineral Grey/Sonoma Beige
Appreciate 2
M 4 FUN592.50
      12-18-2021, 09:01 AM   #7
horsepower_and_hounds
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by branpham View Post
This happened to my 2015 M4 a year ago. Had a shop with an endurance race M4 share that it was indeed pressure build up inside and poor design. They used a pinhole fix for theirs and suggested it for mine as well. Haven't had an issue since.
What I did on my old M4 was take a thick needle and poke thru once or twice neer the utter fold. When pressure builds up it bleeds off an no grease ever squirts out. it will weep slightly from grease breakdown but all is fine
Appreciate 1
      01-24-2022, 05:19 PM   #8
Driver407
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16' F80 M3, 02' E46 M3

So i have my car in the shop and they mentioned my rear CV on both sides are leaky. I have around 20 track days and 71k miles.

Shop mentioned there is no rebuild kit for the f80? Which he was saying ill need to buy new axles.
Ive read a few posts about this "pinhole" concept. That the boot just needs to breathing room for when it is tracked and hot?

However i am trying to understand, are you all just repacking the original boot, adding holes, and grease with same parts? Or swapping them to new parts? etc?

Just trying to understand this better so when i talk to shop I can mention what i am hearing here.
TC Kline coilovers and camber plates, Apex 18" EC-7, Conti ECF 295r/275f, monoball thrustarms, SPL toe arms, Powerflex diff bushings/bracket, AP Racing 9660, Project Mu H21, Spiegler brake lines, AA midpipe, VTT crankhub, VRSF charge/j pipe, Turner tray, BM3 CS
Youtube: Driver407
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2022, 11:08 AM   #9
branpham
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 6MT F82

Quote:
Originally Posted by irokdayellup View Post
So i have my car in the shop and they mentioned my rear CV on both sides are leaky. I have around 20 track days and 71k miles.

Shop mentioned there is no rebuild kit for the f80? Which he was saying ill need to buy new axles.
Ive read a few posts about this "pinhole" concept. That the boot just needs to breathing room for when it is tracked and hot?

However i am trying to understand, are you all just repacking the original boot, adding holes, and grease with same parts? Or swapping them to new parts? etc?

Just trying to understand this better so when i talk to shop I can mention what i am hearing here.
Reach out to Dynamic Auto Tune in Charlotte, NC. They're the ones that did it for me and I'm sure they'd have a more detailed explanation.

2015 F82 6MT Mineral Grey/Sonoma Beige
Appreciate 1
      05-22-2023, 11:58 PM   #10
WarMachineM3
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by branpham View Post
Reach out to Dynamic Auto Tune in Charlotte, NC. They're the ones that did it for me and I'm sure they'd have a more detailed explanation.
I called them numerous times, and I spoke with Sergio. Anyway, he kept telling me no one in the shop knows anything about it and not to worry about it. He said on of the track techs might know about it, but didn't bother to direct me to him, instead tells me to search the forums😂. I explained to him what the pinhole mod was and he knew nothing about it.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2023, 06:18 PM   #11
GreenGoblin
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F82

I had the same thing happen to my CV boot, after lowering the car. I cut the old clamp off, refilled the grease, put on a new clamp. Have driven 10k miles, multiple track days, no leaks.
Appreciate 0