Coby Wheel
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

05-21-2023, 02:48 AM   #89
m5_mbb7
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M5CS, M5C, M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by chewbakam4 View Post
Clearly you never opened the map editor in ecutek and bm3 and compared. Ask bend how many tables show up in ecutek and do the same in bm3. I’ll tell you right now that bm3 has 3500-4500 tables and ecutek last time I looked a year ago had around 1500-2000. So there’s that, no point arguing simple facts that can so easily be cross checked. As for custom tune, sounds like you had issues with Cary’s custom map for some reason and you worked it out with Bend, great. If you’re saying Bend couldn’t do the same in bm3 that is a flat out lie. Prove it or have them prove factually what it is that for a bolton car on ethanol they couldn’t do with bm3. I’ll tell you right now again, if there’s anything bm3 doesn’t lack in is the amount of tables they got. They have the most of any tool. Why argue such easily verifiable facts? Open a map in any of them and just look for yourself. bm3 doesn’t have PI and doesn’t have ability to make an extra 10-20 custom tables but we’re not talking thousands, its literally 10-20 custom as per their own documentation online. I never said ecutek or anything is bad. In fact I said in the hands of a seasoned tuner all these tools will accomplish the same power gains and whatever else is needed. I also never said Bend is bad or anything of the sort so don’t put words in my mouth.
Like I said, it’s straight from a tuner themselves that tunes on both platforms that ecutek is better than bm3 in every way and has more tables. Tell me why a tuner would need more than 10-20 custom maps for custom strategies? Bootmod has zero because the development team is incapable of implementing them. I will give it this—bm3 IS more user friendly than ecutek now that they updated their UI to be half-decent. But at the end of the day, if you’re looking to preserve your engine, ecutek id the way to go. Bootmod gave me and plenty of other people way too many issues with codes getting thrown on their OTS maps, both with EU5s and without.

It’s according to bend themselves that EU5s are not ideal to run on bootmod because they lack tables that help support for it. Bend themselves are who recommended ecutek to me despite being able to tune on both platforms; they themselves admit that they could not deliver to me an identical tune on bootmod. Sure, it would probably be better than Cary Jordan’s garbage tune that took 10 revisions and would never run properly, but it would still be inferior to ecutek with them. And you said in the beginning of your previous comment that Bend had “zero results in the real world” so I’m just giving you a much-needed reality check.

It’s funny that someone like you is so in love with bm3 that you put it as your profile picture. Almost makes it seem like you have extra reasons to be biased towards bm3
Appreciate 1
      05-21-2023, 06:50 AM   #90
chewbakam4
Major
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

As I said, no need to take my word or your tuner’s word for it. Look for yourself. Senseless to argue facts all too easily cross checked. My bias comes from direct experience and years with this unlike yours who takes someone else’s word for it and spreads misinformation on such easily verifiable details. You probably also believe earth is flat.
Appreciate 1
AmuroRay2165.00
      05-21-2023, 10:02 AM   #91
Hotflare
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2018 YMB M3 Comp

Garage List
2018 BMW M3  [9.50]
I'd say what ever solution works for people, let it be. There's a reason why multiple tools exist. No need to argue who is "better"... it's all based on budget and build style for each person.

That said, I love bm3 but as someone who is going to flex fuel with bend as a complete solution (tune + kit) I'd want a tune that preserves the engine the most...if it's through ecutek then so be it. As long I can run 0 to 100 ethanol at any time, safely, I'm all for it.
Appreciate 5
ra2289302.00
Wanted_M750.00
Jbonly211045.00
      05-21-2023, 06:32 PM   #92
hellokitty
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M3 ZCP DCT

I flashed back to BM3 for the time being.

The MHD OTS Stage 2+ maps really suck. They are fast, but nothing as refined as my BM3 Cary Jordan tune. The MHD OTS map throttle in Sport+ is SUPER twitchy and throttle in Sport has no response at all. It's a really weird feeling and it feels like ass honestly.

Still waiting for Bend to sort me out on MHD as that would be ideal.

Otherwise, ECUTEK it is.
2017 F80 M3 ZCP / AA GESI DPs / Akrapovic Evo / BBS FI-R 19" / Bend Calibration ECUTEK Flex Fuel | Bilstein B16 DDC + CS EDC / BMC Filters / BMS OCC / CSF HE / ESS CP / Nitto NT555R2 / PD Crank Hub / SPL Suspension / Uniden R7 / Wagner Top Mount IC

2021 Mini GP3 / BMC Filters / BM3 / Cary Jordan E30 / Wagner IC / Remus Race
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2023, 06:47 PM   #93
slaughter.mode
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Competition

Garage List
2018 BMW M4 ZCP  [9.80]
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellokitty View Post

The MHD OTS Stage 2+ maps really suck. They are fast, but nothing as refined as my BM3 Cary Jordan tune. The MHD OTS map throttle in Sport+ is SUPER twitchy and throttle in Sport has no response at all. It's a really weird feeling and it feels like ass honestly.

Otherwise, ECUTEK it is.
MHD OTS maps are rough, nothing about them I like now that I'm in the custom tuned world. Oddly I'm starting to get idle issues with my Bend tune on BM3! Warm starts, cold starts, it's not smooth. I tried resetting adaptations and it cleaned it up but I am not convinced it's 100% resolved. I am going to capture logs and send to Bend to review. I'll share what I find.
      05-21-2023, 06:55 PM   #94
hellokitty
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaughter.mode View Post
MHD OTS maps are rough, nothing about them I like now that I'm in the custom tuned world. Oddly I'm starting to get idle issues with my Bend tune on BM3! Warm starts, cold starts, it's not smooth. I tried resetting adaptations and it cleaned it up but I am not convinced it's 100% resolved. I am going to capture logs and send to Bend to review. I'll share what I find.
Try disabling cold start in BM3 to see if it helps…
2017 F80 M3 ZCP / AA GESI DPs / Akrapovic Evo / BBS FI-R 19" / Bend Calibration ECUTEK Flex Fuel | Bilstein B16 DDC + CS EDC / BMC Filters / BMS OCC / CSF HE / ESS CP / Nitto NT555R2 / PD Crank Hub / SPL Suspension / Uniden R7 / Wagner Top Mount IC

Appreciate 0
      05-21-2023, 07:10 PM   #95
slaughter.mode
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M4 ZCP  [9.80]
Quote:
Try disabling cold start in BM3 to see if it helps…
Yep already is.
      05-21-2023, 07:26 PM   #96
imperfectluck
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 20' F87

Quote:

Otherwise, ECUTEK it is.
That twitchy feeling is why I’ve been following this thread and hoping that Ian can sort you out on the MHD platform. I used to use BM3 on my F30 when I had it, e30 map ran well couldn’t complain, having switched to MHD for my F87, I do see the difference in OTS with the load based strategy of BM3 maps.

The throttle tip in when on sports+ on the stage 2+ (e30-50 ish blend here) it’s like it goes from 0%-10% and it isn’t refined at all even when trying to modulate it with your foot at low speeds it’s very apparent. Hoping Ian can sort you out without having to swap to ECUTek as I too would like to save on not having to license swap platforms but if it’s for the best for them to do their job then that’s priority.

BM3 in their latest update though does seem more refined this coming from another fellow software engineer but does concern me a bit with hearing how OTS / custom tunes on the platform were regarding idle etc.

Subbing to see how things pan out and slaughter.mode if there were additional changes made also to sort out the rough idle. Not sure if recent weather on your end might be affecting it as we know higher E blends are a bit harder on engines when the air is more dense outside.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2023, 07:33 PM   #97
hellokitty
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by imperfectluck View Post
That twitchy feeling is why I’ve been following this thread and hoping that Ian can sort you out on the MHD platform. I used to use BM3 on my F30 when I had it, e30 map ran well couldn’t complain, having switched to MHD for my F87, I do see the difference in OTS with the load based strategy of BM3 maps.

The throttle tip in when on sports+ on the stage 2+ (e30-50 ish blend here) it’s like it goes from 0%-10% and it isn’t refined at all even when trying to modulate it with your foot at low speeds it’s very apparent. Hoping Ian can sort you out without having to swap to ECUTek as I too would like to save on not having to license swap platforms but if it’s for the best for them to do their job then that’s priority.

BM3 in their latest update though does seem more refined this coming from another fellow software engineer but does concern me a bit with hearing how OTS / custom tunes on the platform were regarding idle etc.

Subbing to see how things pan out and slaughter.mode if there were additional changes made also to sort out the rough idle. Not sure if recent weather on your end might be affecting it as we know higher E blends are a bit harder on engines when the air is more dense outside.
I sent an email to Martial at MHD with my feedback on the OTS maps.

I feel like these companies purposely handicap the OTS maps to create a market for custom tuners lol

Appreciate 1
      05-21-2023, 07:35 PM   #98
slaughter.mode
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M4 ZCP  [9.80]
Quote:

Yeah it's very likely it's the weather since it has been erratic. One day cold and dry, another hot and dry, then thunderstorms and rain with humidity. It's all over the place right now but I would still expect my tune to handle it all without sweating. So far the only tune I had which had absolutely zero grumbling and ran perfectly was my Static E85 tune by Cary Jordan on MHD.

As far as throttle effort, the Bend tune is the best from what I've tried. They even have an option on your initial questionnaire to select if whether or not you want their anti kangaroo feature added or not. I added it because I'm really over the deliberate pedal modulation effort I've had to do for years. Now, it's super easy to manage even in full torque mode / map 2.
      05-21-2023, 07:38 PM   #99
slaughter.mode
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M4 ZCP  [9.80]
Quote:

I feel like these companies purposely handicap the OTS maps to create a market for custom tuners lol
That's interesting. I always kind of figured why would they since the license for the software is where their revenue ends but if they're taking a slice of custom tunes, yeah I can see that. From what I see the bulk of the market is kids who want poops and bangs maybe flame tunes and some minor improvements. The more bespoke tuning is common but not nearly as much. But I live in California, lots of ricers out here.
      05-21-2023, 07:45 PM   #100
imperfectluck
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 20' F87

Quote:

I know Halim did put a good deal of effort to have good “catch all” OTS maps for BM3, the MHD OTS while I don’t mind the torque curve, the throttle implementation just has me wondering why 🫠lol.

Curious to hear what MHD’s reply is in regards to it.

slaughter.mode that’s an interesting point that the Cary tune was for a static e85, I’m assuming your current is a flex fuel based one where your blend is now a variable and isn’t a constant in this case leaves room to iron out for the weather changes since we tend to log in ideal conditions of course.

Anti kangaroo, what an interesting name for a feature. 🙂
The map sounds well sorted out though from what I’ve been reading, I finally feel motivated to dealing with a custom tune and not going thorough the wringer to find great results.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2023, 09:29 PM   #101
slaughter.mode
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M4 ZCP  [9.80]
Quote:
I know Halim did put a good deal of effort to have good “catch all” OTS maps for BM3, the MHD OTS while I don’t mind the torque curve, the throttle implementation just has me wondering why 🫠lol.

Curious to hear what MHD’s reply is in regards to it.

slaughter.mode that’s an interesting point that the Cary tune was for a static e85, I’m assuming your current is a flex fuel based one where your blend is now a variable and isn’t a constant in this case leaves room to iron out for the weather changes since we tend to log in ideal conditions of course.

Anti kangaroo, what an interesting name for a feature. 🙂
The map sounds well sorted out though from what I’ve been reading, I finally feel motivated to dealing with a custom tune and not going thorough the wringer to find great results.
Yep, the static tune seemed like it was crafted in the hands of a seasoned tuner with a breadth of knowledge of the platform with many assumptions from experience. That's both good and bad. For example with Cary's tune I noticed that within MHD the signal for 'Ethanol Content Active' was set to 0 whereas my FlexFuel tune by Wedge Performance would mirror my 'Ethanol Content CAN' reading. I did explain to him my max e content from a full tank of E85 was usually 80-82% and he made an adjustment but since it's not a FlexFuel tune it's definitely structured with the assumption I have done my job and properly drained and filled the tank with only E85.
      05-22-2023, 05:01 AM   #102
m5_mbb7
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M5CS, M5C, M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by chewbakam4 View Post
As I said, no need to take my word or your tuner’s word for it. Look for yourself. Senseless to argue facts all too easily cross checked. My bias comes from direct experience and years with this unlike yours who takes someone else’s word for it and spreads misinformation on such easily verifiable details. You probably also believe earth is flat.
My “bias” comes from people who are much smarter than me when it comes to tuning cars, and certainly much smarter than you . And at the end of the day, I sleep happily knowing I’m not running bootmod garbage on my car and you can’t say the same lol.

Share your 60-130 time? Let’s see what your bootmod could do. Or is the budget limited because your salary from protuningfreaks doesn’t cover all the mods you want?
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2023, 09:14 AM   #103
hellokitty
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Got a response from MHD.

They'll work on improving the throttle mapping in the next map revision.

Appreciate 3
      05-22-2023, 10:37 AM   #104
chewbakam4
Major
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by m5_mbb7 View Post
My “bias” comes from people who are much smarter than me when it comes to tuning cars, and certainly much smarter than you . And at the end of the day, I sleep happily knowing I’m not running bootmod garbage on my car and you can’t say the same lol.

Share your 60-130 time? Let’s see what your bootmod could do. Or is the budget limited because your salary from protuningfreaks doesn’t cover all the mods you want?
Wow are you an incredible turd. I gave you facts to cross check and yet you come back to nothing but trash talk and insult. Good luck with that hater salt
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2023, 11:56 AM   #105
slaughter.mode
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M4 ZCP  [9.80]
Well, well. Looks like the Bend tune as great as it's been isn't perfect. Sadly on a weekend when their tuners are busy and haven't gotten back to me in 4-5 days. Today while running errands the car died 4 times. It even threw a CEL right as I was getting back home. Even worse, BM3 can't read 'DTC' codes and it's a bug they are working on and know about. Thankfully MHD saved the day and was able to read the codes.

118502 - Mixture control 2: Fuel-air mixture too rich, large deviation.
11CF31 - Mixture control 2: Multiple fault.
190F03 unknown (lol)
1E5A20 - Engine torque limit: maximum target torque permanently exceeded.

Hoping Bend has a response soon. Car isn't even drivable at this point without risking stalling and being jammed up on the road.
      05-23-2023, 12:03 PM   #106
hellokitty
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Well, well. Looks like the Bend tune as great as it's been isn't perfect. Sadly on a weekend when their tuners are busy and haven't gotten back to me in 4-5 days. Today while running errands the car died 4 times. It even threw a CEL right as I was getting back home. Even worse, BM3 can't read 'DTC' codes and it's a bug they are working on and know about. Thankfully MHD saved the day and was able to read the codes.

118502 - Mixture control 2: Fuel-air mixture too rich, large deviation.
11CF31 - Mixture control 2: Multiple fault.
190F03 unknown (lol)
1E5A20 - Engine torque limit: maximum target torque permanently exceeded.

Hoping Bend has a response soon. Car isn't even drivable at this point without risking stalling and being jammed up on the road.
Been having the same lack of responsiveness issues with Bend. While he replies timely, the only explanation I've gotten is they've been buried with work so no progress has been made on whether they can take me on.

Appreciate 0
      05-23-2023, 12:21 PM   #107
slaughter.mode
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M4 ZCP  [9.80]
Quote:
Been having the same lack of responsiveness issues with Bend. While he replies timely, the only explanation I've gotten is they've been buried with work so no progress has been made on whether they can take me on.
Yeah they're busy, it happens. I'm just stuck and have two options. 1, flash back to stock and go back to MHD and load my Jordan/Wedge tune or wait for them to fix it. It is my grocery getter so I am hoping on the latter but I have things to do so we shall see. Blending down to a known mixture that works isn't a good idea since they have some adjustments to make.
      05-24-2023, 01:35 PM   #108
slaughter.mode
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M4 ZCP  [9.80]
I am starting to think it has to do with my sensors. Despite having a new engine, all my sensors are about 113K miles old. I read somewhere it's a good idea to swap the O2 sensors every 100k. I may just go ahead and order a set of those, question is to get BMW OEM or the Bosch ones for 1/2 the price. Can't hurt. May also consider getting new downpipes. A little over the AA cat-less ones since they rattle so much when cold or when valves are closed. Thinking of swapping to the ARM resonated ones. Will talk it over with my tuners and get their feedback.
      05-24-2023, 02:46 PM   #109
hellokitty
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I am starting to think it has to do with my sensors. Despite having a new engine, all my sensors are about 113K miles old. I read somewhere it's a good idea to swap the O2 sensors every 100k. I may just go ahead and order a set of those, question is to get BMW OEM or the Bosch ones for 1/2 the price. Can't hurt. May also consider getting new downpipes. A little over the AA cat-less ones since they rattle so much when cold or when valves are closed. Thinking of swapping to the ARM resonated ones. Will talk it over with my tuners and get their feedback.
Definitely get OE Bosch. It’s the same part as OEM. Maybe clean your MAF sensors with CRC MAF cleaner while you are at it.

Appreciate 0
      05-24-2023, 03:17 PM   #110
Idfkman
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

For the people with issues what intakes are you running? I noticed that I got and still have similar behavior when switching to SSR intakes on BM3 OTS S2 e30 and 93. Shaky idle at startup that smooths out after a few mins.