European Auto Source (EAS)
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

06-06-2023, 01:08 AM   #1
f82_spooly
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82 M4, E92 M3, E46 M3

S55 Preventing Catastrophic Injector Failure

So I've read a few threads here/FB where people have blown engines due to injector failure. It mainly seems to be with people running E85 mixes. I run BM3 flex fuel usually an E60 mix on an OTS map. Car is currently @ 44k miles.

Should I replace injectors preemptively?

Would upgrading to EU5 M5 injectors rectify this issue? Do those injectors have E85 problems as well? I would upgrade if need be as I do like to run E mixes every few weeks and I don't want to be worried about an injector randomly destroying the car.

Is there anything else I can do?
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2023, 02:55 AM   #2
M2_MEDUSA
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2 Comp. SpecialEdition

Quote:
Originally Posted by f82_spooly View Post
So I've read a few threads here/FB where people have blown engines due to injector failure. It mainly seems to be with people running E85 mixes. I run BM3 flex fuel usually an E60 mix on an OTS map. Car is currently @ 44k miles.

Should I replace injectors preemptively?

Would upgrading to EU5 M5 injectors rectify this issue? Do those injectors have E85 problems as well? I would upgrade if need be as I do like to run E mixes every few weeks and I don't want to be worried about an injector randomly destroying the car.

Is there anything else I can do?
I have stock injectors and been running full e-85, Your best bet is the EU5 injectors. If you plan to stay stock, You are required to purchase "top lube" I prefer the grape scent. Mix 4 oz of it with each tank of e-85. buying from ebay is better and faster. This adds the lubricants needed to prevent sticking. Do this and you will be fine. 2oz is too low imo
      06-06-2023, 07:56 AM   #3
DeezBluBallz
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Audi RS5, BMW M3

I purchased this filter kit. https://www.bendcalibration.com/shop...ilter-only-kit
with my EU5's. I would recommend the filter kit at minimum.

Being that your mixing, and not full E you should be fine.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2023, 07:54 PM   #4
f82_spooly
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

It looks like after some research the issue is the high target PSI on the HPFP that causes the injectors to stick when running E85. Since running an E mix/E85 causes this additional pressure on our S55 injectors with a low flow rate compared to the EU5 injectors with a higher flow rate.

Am I correct in what I’m saying ?
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2023, 09:03 PM   #5
hellokitty
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M3 ZCP DCT

1) Run a top tube like Hot Shots LX4

2) Get a custom tune from a trusted tuner. I switched to Bend Calibration and have been pleased with the results on ECUTEK.

3) Get the Bend Calibration fuel filter kit.

4) You might consider replacing the injectors, but I think the practice of flushing the system every 4-5 tanks of E85 with pump 91/93 and add Hot Shots Gasoline Extreme will be fine.

5) Do not run injector cleaner on E85.
2017 F80 M3 ZCP / AA GESI DPs / Akrapovic Evo / BBS FI-R 19" / Bend Calibration ECUTEK Flex Fuel | Bilstein B16 DDC + CS EDC / BMC Filters / BMS OCC / CSF HE / ESS CP / Nitto NT555R2 / PD Crank Hub / SPL Suspension / Uniden R7 / Wagner Top Mount IC

2021 Mini GP3 / BMC Filters / BM3 / Cary Jordan E30 / Wagner IC / Remus Race
Appreciate 1
      06-06-2023, 11:31 PM   #6
RAT3DM
Mod Junkie
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82 M4, E36 M3

Garage List
  [0.00]
Don't be like me....

1) Currently in the process of doing a complete motor build 20k+ due to a $250 EU5 injector failure (stuck open) and no safety warning as car had no fault codes at any point. EU5's actually have a higher failure rate than the EU6 stock injector. Infact BMW actually issued a release for warranty issues on failing injectors at one point with the M5. I also agree that this all relates to the HIGH PSI pressure from pushing the HFPF which in my case was also upgraded with the Dorch liftkit but was running upgraded turbos and E85.

I also believe this had to do with tuning that not only had high pressures, but also the car didn't recognize these fueling changes either and didn't enter a limp mode with warning. I'd highly recommend going with someone whom keeps either factory safety measures or secondary platform safety measures in place (my whole reason for going the DI route) hoping those safeties would alert to such an event occurring.

I'm am now going this route now:

2) Get a custom tune from a trusted tuner. I'm also switching to Bend Calibration on ECUTEK.

Appreciate 2
      06-07-2023, 01:40 AM   #7
f82_spooly
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

There was a post where I read that the F10 EU5 injectors flow 903 g/min, and the OEM S55 EU6 injectors flow 821 g/min. That's from a Bosch fuel system engineer apparantly?

The the early EU6 13537645956 injectors had the same failures as the EU5 13647599876. Using the earlier EU6 would be prone to same failure. The EU6 was redesigned with the 13538627842 but supposedly cannot be used in an EU5. <---- this is another post I read from 2021 is this currently true? If so do you think you possibly purchased the earlier version of the EU5 injectors?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAD_M4 View Post
Don't be like me....

1) Currently in the process of doing a complete motor build 20k+ due to a $250 EU5 injector failure (stuck open) and no safety warning as car had no fault codes at any point. EU5's actually have a higher failure rate than the EU6 stock injector. Infact BMW actually issued a release for warranty issues on failing injectors at one point with the M5. I also agree that this all relates to the HIGH PSI pressure from pushing the HFPF which in my case was also upgraded with the Dorch liftkit but was running upgraded turbos and E85.

I also believe this had to do with tuning that not only had high pressures, but also the car didn't recognize these fueling changes either and didn't enter a limp mode with warning. I'd highly recommend going with someone whom keeps either factory safety measures or secondary platform safety measures in place (my whole reason for going the DI route) hoping those safeties would alert to such an event occurring.

I'm am now going this route now:

2) Get a custom tune from a trusted tuner. I'm also switching to Bend Calibration on ECUTEK.

Appreciate 0
      06-07-2023, 10:41 PM   #8
RAT3DM
Mod Junkie
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82 M4, E36 M3

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by f82_spooly View Post
There was a post where I read that the F10 EU5 injectors flow 903 g/min, and the OEM S55 EU6 injectors flow 821 g/min. That's from a Bosch fuel system engineer apparantly?

The the early EU6 13537645956 injectors had the same failures as the EU5 13647599876. Using the earlier EU6 would be prone to same failure. The EU6 was redesigned with the 13538627842 but supposedly cannot be used in an EU5. <---- this is another post I read from 2021 is this currently true? If so do you think you possibly purchased the earlier version of the EU5 injectors?
I read the same post, as far as the injectors flow rates are concerned I agree. Yes the EU5 flow more; however I didn't see the same number of failure issues with EU6 injectors for on this F8X platform failing.

At the end of the day when you push any equipment hard it will be more prone to failure, but atleast when it does I'd expect car safety systems to alert you of those issued.

Btw the injectors were purchased in October of 2021 from FCP, and had less than 1000 miles on them before the issue occurred.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2023, 12:34 AM   #9
hellokitty
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M3 ZCP DCT

Some good stuff to be learned here…

https://youtu.be/bPcVBc4-5Mk
2017 F80 M3 ZCP / AA GESI DPs / Akrapovic Evo / BBS FI-R 19" / Bend Calibration ECUTEK Flex Fuel | Bilstein B16 DDC + CS EDC / BMC Filters / BMS OCC / CSF HE / ESS CP / Nitto NT555R2 / PD Crank Hub / SPL Suspension / Uniden R7 / Wagner Top Mount IC

2021 Mini GP3 / BMC Filters / BM3 / Cary Jordan E30 / Wagner IC / Remus Race
Appreciate 0