Coby Wheel
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

12-22-2019, 05:16 PM   #23
maul3d
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 AY M4 - 2012 Nissan GTR

I tried launch control with fresh new tires.. car peeled out for aboit 10 ft, then the vehicle went into a slow drift sideways, almst landing me in a ditch. Lol

This was at the lowest rpm available...

Would have thought the vehicle would shoot straight forward with an active diff.
Appreciate 2
      12-22-2019, 05:24 PM   #24
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by maul3d View Post
I tried launch control with fresh new tires.. car peeled out for aboit 10 ft, then the vehicle went into a slow drift sideways, almst landing me in a ditch. Lol

Would have thought the vehicle would shoot straight forward with an active diff.
#drivererror
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2019, 05:40 PM   #25
hellokitty
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M3 ZCP DCT

Quote:

Gotta wear it down a bit before driving like that on fresh tires. Maybe do a burnout first then send it lol
2017 F80 M3 ZCP / AA GESI DPs / Akrapovic Evo / BBS FI-R 19" / Bend Calibration ECUTEK Flex Fuel | Bilstein B16 DDC + CS EDC / BMC Filters / BMS OCC / CSF HE / ESS CP / Nitto NT555R2 / PD Crank Hub / SPL Suspension / Uniden R7 / Wagner Top Mount IC

2021 Mini GP3 / BMC Filters / BM3 / Cary Jordan E30 / Wagner IC / Remus Race
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2019, 05:55 PM   #26
dezzracer
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
Quote:

#drivererror
Other than not scrubbing in new tires I would disagree. I would challenge anybody to do a full on "by the book" launch control take off in this car without going sideways.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2019, 06:18 PM   #27
maul3d
Private First Class
Rep

Tires had approx 300 miles on them! New, yes. But should have had that new layer off by then.

This wasnt a one time thing. It was constant, numerous times guys

Iv dragged race cars since i was a kid! Ownimg 500HP Subarus and Evos.

One can say modulate the throttle.. but im losing precious time!!

Out of control i tell ya.. either that, or our roads here in town are ice.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2019, 06:23 PM   #28
Andrae26
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Sakhir M4

I have zero issues with launching my M3CS.
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan25055.00
      12-22-2019, 06:24 PM   #29
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dezzracer View Post
Quote:
Quote:

#drivererror
Other than not scrubbing in new tires I would disagree. I would challenge anybody to do a full on "by the book" launch control take off in this car without going sideways.
I have an MT. My launch control is modulated by my feet.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2019, 06:25 PM   #30
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Tires had approx 300 miles on them! New, yes. But should have had that new layer off by then.

AWD cars are easier to launch; they require less finesse to get a good launch.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2019, 06:28 PM   #31
dezzracer
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

AWD cars are easier to launch.
Really? Your kidding? Lol.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2019, 06:31 PM   #32
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I sense sarcasm, but I was referring to him seemingly attempting to qualify launching AWD's cars as if that has anything to do with the complexity of launching RWD cars.
Appreciate 1
CanAutM321116.50
      12-22-2019, 06:35 PM   #33
dezzracer
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I sense sarcasm, but I was referring to him qualifying launching AWD's cars as if that has anything to do with the complexity of launching RWD cars.
Yea I know. No offense meant but I believe the proper technique for launching an AWD car is floor it and hang on. Lol. At least that's been my experience.

Edit. Oh I see. The cars he was referring to are all wheel drive. Sorry about that.. missed that part.
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan25055.00
      12-22-2019, 06:59 PM   #34
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
Quote:
I've already done it more tha once. With warm and clean tires on a good surface, the car grips and launches hard.

Previous cars: M4cs 2019 F82 Limerock Grey / M4 2015 F82 Silverstone / M3 2008 E92 Silverstone / M3 2002 E46 Carbon Black
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2019, 07:41 PM   #35
maul3d
Private First Class
Rep

Well, ill own it then. Must have been me.

Great thing with the new vehicle, I drive it harder, and faster, then I did with mt M4.. my wife doesnt pipe up anymore telling me to slow down , or yell at me. Its amazing. Lol

I asked her what changed? You havent screamed, or told me im driving like an asshole!

Her reply ; "This car feels much more stable, and isnt' allover the place. I thought i was going to die in the yellow car."

Not knocking the m4. I miss it and some its good qualities.
Appreciate 1
      12-22-2019, 11:04 PM   #36
TideMD
Some random guy
Rep
Drives: 2016 F82 M4 SO

Quote:
I launch my '16 M4 fairly regular and keep it straight, with minimal rear drift or tire slip. And that's "by the book" all the way into 3rd or 4th gear.

Also, the side to side slipping you describe with MDM sounds exactly like what MDM is supposed to do - the car gets loose and lets you push the edge, but compensates to keeps you out of the ditch until the tires finally hook up.
Turn off MDM and you likely won't get that squirreliness (or it will be mitigated to a large degree).
Turn off TC completely and that side to side slip becomes a full-on spin into a ditch or a hard tank slap.
      12-22-2019, 11:50 PM   #37
dezzracer
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TideMD View Post
Quote:
I launch my '16 M4 fairly regular and keep it straight, with minimal rear drift or tire slip. And that's "by the book" all the way into 3rd or 4th gear.

Also, the side to side slipping you describe with MDM sounds exactly like what MDM is supposed to do - the car gets loose and lets you push the edge, but compensates to keeps you out of the ditch until the tires finally hook up.
Turn off MDM and you likely won't get that squirreliness (or it will be mitigated to a large degree).
Turn off TC completely and that side to side slip becomes a full-on spin into a ditch or a hard tank slap.
You are correct., virtually no side to side action with TC fully activated as the program cuts power and mitigates slip which causes "Fishtailing". Thought I would throw that old school term in there in reference to another old-school term you just used. "tank slapper". Lol.

The term "tank slapper" was originally coined by motorcyclists racing at high speeds (usually off road) when they hit a rock or a ditch causing the handlebars to go into a violent uncontrollable wobble slapping them against the gas tank and almost always ejecting the rider. The term was eventually picked up by car enthusiasts. Fortunately, I've yet to experience that phenomenon in a car, however I have experienced it on a motorcycle and it's not fun.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2019, 01:59 AM   #38
AO08BAS
Private
Rep
Drives: TR G80 Comp

This is one of my biggest grips with the F8X as a whole. Living in the UK and 8/12 months being not "perfect" M driving conditions the fact that I cant floor my car in 1st or 2nd without having to worry about ending up in a ditch is slightly annoying.

I believe its 60/40 problem 60 driver 40 the car and once I and many others learn how to push the car properly then this will remain a sore point for us! But as long as we can learn in a safe way then it should turn out to be a fun and fruitful experience.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2019, 04:27 AM   #39
dsmclark
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Cayman GT4 Clubsport

I've found limiting the torque 20% in 1st and 2nd has helped keep the rear in check on my car. And mine always goes sideways even with traction control fully on! but then it kicks in mid drift and then makes me look like a dick!
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2019, 05:05 AM   #40
Formermercowner
Rep
Drives: Bmw m4 2015

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Formermercowner View Post
Quote:
2018 M3 CS. Seems like with all the hi tech performance based electronics loaded into this car (especially the M e-diff) that one would be able to launch this car without the rear moving around side to side so much. With TC turned fully on it's ok because the tires are barely spinning but in MDM mode the rear ends gets so squirrelly side to side. Geez, I can launch my 500 hp 04 Mustang Cobra better and straighter and it has ZERO electronic aids. I don't get it :
What's your tire setup?
Size and type of tire?
Car is stock with MPSS.
Mpss on a cs? In my region the cs has the cup2s as stock tire. I have an early m4, a 15 with the first map where the torque is high even at low rpm and it grips fine with 4s tire when they get to optimal temperature.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2019, 06:26 AM   #41
AlterZgo
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 23 X3 M40i, 21 911S, 24 Taycan

Quote:
I get it but not more than a supercharged V-8 4 cammer pushing 13lbs of boost :
Supercharged engines are much more linear with boost building as RPMs rise. Higher RPMs spins supercharger faster generating more boost. OTOH, modern turbo motors, while still having a bit of lag off the line, will build full boost by 2000 RPMs and give it to you in one big wallop causing tires to easily break traction when safety nannies are disabled or muted with MDM.
Appreciate 1
      12-24-2019, 06:37 AM   #42
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Formermercowner View Post
Mpss on a cs? In my region the cs has the cup2s as stock tire. I have an early m4, a 15 with the first map where the torque is high even at low rpm and it grips fine with 4s tire when they get to optimal temperature.
For some odd reason (probably some fear of liability), BMW USA decided to fit all the CS sold in the US with the PSS tires instead of the PSC2.

Previous cars: M4cs 2019 F82 Limerock Grey / M4 2015 F82 Silverstone / M3 2008 E92 Silverstone / M3 2002 E46 Carbon Black
Appreciate 1
      12-25-2019, 02:18 AM   #43
Beemerm3
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 16' BMW m3

I had a Mercedes with a V8 turbo n it wasn't this swirly. I think because the car needs wider tires to grip and more weight. With wider tires it hooks when u floor it. The m3 is tail happy n a drift machine with the lsd.
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2019, 10:24 AM   #44
tropicalypso
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Occasionally

Try adding a tune to your car. My 2nd to 3rd shift sends me fish tailing at full throttle.

Damn Continentals...