GetBMWParts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

01-23-2020, 10:43 AM   #1
F83Guarantee
United_States
Rep
Drives: N54 - s55

FBO f83 on corn (oil change?)

I’m leaving this here to gather some insight from the tuning side rather than the RTFM community. The car is FBO w/ full e85 with custom tune by Paul Johnson. I know that the specific properties of e85 has a tendency to thin out your oil a bit (at least it did with my n54 fbo @e60) so for the rest of you with similar builds, what oils are you preferring and what are your change out intervals? I’ve had the car for about 4000 miles now (2015 w/ 60k on dash) so getting ready to perform the first change here at the house. In the research I’ve done I’ve seen people have stuck closer to LL01 and LL04 approved but that seems to be more for stock setups and haven’t seen anyone mention changes on full e85.

Thanks for your insight and sorry if I missed a search somewhere. Tried to be efficient before posting.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2020, 01:47 PM   #2
CryptoM4
Private
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

I use liquid moly 5w-40. Works perfect.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2020, 12:06 AM   #3
Commanderwiggin
Major
Rep
Drives: M2C - X3M - Turbo E46 M3 - 45E

OE oil and cut your intervals in half...go through FCP Euro and you get free oil. You could do the same through FCP Euro with Motul 300V as well if you're feeling frisky.
      01-24-2020, 05:38 AM   #4
spool twice
Rainbow Racer
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M4cs

Garage List
2019 M4cs  [0.00]
Tend to agree with the half intervals of the OE, most other OE cars with E85 cut their flex-fueled car by half over using normal E0-10 gas.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2020, 07:38 AM   #5
BlownOne
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 m4 comp

5k mile change intervals with oe oil is what I’m doing per EaS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commanderwiggin View Post
OE oil and cut your intervals in half...go through FCP Euro and you get free oil. You could do the same through FCP Euro with Motul 300V as well if you're feeling frisky.
Elaborate lol. You’re talking about their warranty replacement guarantee? Do you have to send the oil back?
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2020, 03:02 PM   #6
Commanderwiggin
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlownOne View Post
5k mile change intervals with oe oil is what I’m doing per EaS.

Quote:
Elaborate lol. You’re talking about their warranty replacement guarantee? Do you have to send the oil back?
Yes you send the oil back. I have a rotation going of wipers, oil, oil filter, air filters currently every interval. Could even add coils/plugs to the rotation.
      01-24-2020, 08:37 PM   #7
Shadow2
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 MG F80 M3

Ha I was thinking of starting the exact same thread! I was on full e85 stock turbos, now Pure s2+ and currently on an OTS 93 tune, but have run a PJTunes e50 tune until about a month ago. I've been using Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5w-40, Ferrari logo, since the turbo swap, 5k OCI. Seems to be working because the car has been absolutely solid as a rock, haven't even had to add any oil between changes. No ticking sounds from lifters, this thing runs smooth as silk. I'd like to continue with the Pennzoil but it seems to be getting scarcer and scarcer, used to be able to source it from Amazon, but they're out currently. Advance Auto also used to carry it, you need to ask them for it however, its usually not on the shelf. My recommendation is to make sure you use an LL-01 oil, not LL-01FE or LL-04. Problem is this has become an outdated standard, BMW doesn't use it anymore. Valvoline, Liqui-Moly, Pentosin, Motul and the Pennzoil I've been using are the only ones readily available, also BMW branded which I think at one point was Castrol, not sure what it is now. I'm thinking of trying Motul 8100 x-cess 5w-40 this next oil change, just because the Pennzoil Euro has become so hard to get.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2020, 09:50 AM   #8
BlownOne
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Yes you send the oil back. I have a rotation going of wipers, oil, oil filter, air filters currently every interval. Could even add coils/plugs to the rotation.
Haha that is so crazy to me but shit I’m going to try it! Just ordered oil change kit and filter cap tool from them yesterday. So keep the containers and put the used oil back inside then send and say sorry somethings wrong with this I need new? lmao
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2020, 11:12 PM   #9
Commanderwiggin
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlownOne View Post
Haha that is so crazy to me but shit I’m going to try it! Just ordered oil change kit and filter cap tool from them yesterday. So keep the containers and put the used oil back inside then send and say sorry somethings wrong with this I need new? lmao
You should read up on their return policy but the way it works for the used products, you order a new oil change kit and then you start the return once you've ordered it. So essentially you will always have a fresh set on your garage shelf ready to install...or you wait to do the return until closer to your service date. You just have to pay for the shipping of the return. I've done this already and works out great. I have my X5 wipers, fuel filter, oil filter, hvac filters, air filter, front and rear brakes on rotation as well.
      01-30-2020, 03:45 PM   #10
fackamato
Second Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 Comp

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
You should read up on their return policy but the way it works for the used products, you order a new oil change kit and then you start the return once you've ordered it. So essentially you will always have a fresh set on your garage shelf ready to install...or you wait to do the return until closer to your service date. You just have to pay for the shipping of the return. I've done this already and works out great. I have my X5 wipers, fuel filter, oil filter, hvac filters, air filter, front and rear brakes on rotation as well.
Does it work like this? (details: https://www.fcpeuro.com/page/lifetime-guarantee )

1) Buy oil+filter
2) Use it
3) You return the oil filter _and_ your old oil (preferably in original containers)
4) They credit you with the $$ you spent in step 1, minus oil burned (if any)
5) You buy a new set with the credit

In the end, you only ever paid for one set, regardless of how many oil changes or filters you replace?
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2020, 05:09 PM   #11
TommyLights
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by fackamato View Post
Does it work like this? (details: https://www.fcpeuro.com/page/lifetime-guarantee )

1) Buy oil+filter
2) Use it
3) You return the oil filter _and_ your old oil (preferably in original containers)

In the end, you only ever paid for one set, regardless of how many oil changes or filters you replace?
How the hell would they stay in business? Lol I'd like to know more too.
      01-30-2020, 06:07 PM   #12
Commanderwiggin
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fackamato View Post
Quote:

1) Buy oil+filter
2) Use it

1) Buy oil+filter
2) Use it
3)You buy a new set
4) Start a return on their simple return screen using the order # from step 3
5) You return the oil filter _and_ your old oil in original containers (you setup/pay shipping however you like)
6) They refund you based on the new order # and pricing of items in step 3; went right back on my credit card once they received the returns.

No timeline...you can literally do step 3 and wait a year to start step 4 but could technically have a spare ready to go on your shelf.
      01-30-2020, 07:19 PM   #13
BlownOne
Second Lieutenant
Rep

^yup!
I read their policy and idk how the fuck they can call this “a cost of doing business” but it’s a real thing just as explained above. I’ve already changed my oil and now I’m going to do it every 3000 miles since it won’t cost me anything aside from shipping LOL. I almost feel bad but why not utilize a policy they created?
Appreciate 1
      01-30-2020, 07:42 PM   #14
audia4317
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: SC E46 M3

Quote:
I'm glad someone else does this because I dooooo lol
Appreciate 1
      02-01-2020, 05:39 PM   #15
F83Guarantee
United_States
Rep
Drives: N54 - s55

I’m allllll about victimless crimes. Good work on that one
Appreciate 0