Coby Wheel
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

11-30-2020, 07:21 AM   #1
DutchM3Comp
Registered
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 manual

Bootmod3 vs. MHD

Dear all,

I have been following quite a few threads on this forum for a while now, but have only just joined as a member today, as I have a specific question I would like to ask.

I know that there are separate threads dedicated to both Bootmod3 and MHD on this forum, and the difference between both applications has been discussed here and there as well, but so far I have not been able to find a conclusive answer (if that even exists) to my specific question anywhere. So please bear with me...

I live in the Netherlands and own a 2017 M3 with Competition Package (Euro spec). Just last week I purchased the full Thor M Flasher package and whilst I have not yet been able to do many kilometers since the install, my first impressions are very positive. Also I have been considering a flash tune such as Bootmod3 or MHD for some time now, and with the current Black Friday sales thought this might be the time to finally pull the trigger and give one of those a try.

Knowing that I have no desire to do any hardware changes to my car at all, also am not interested in any custom tunes, and so am just looking at the CS/GTS/Stage 1 software tunes, which application would you recommend? Bootmod3 or MHD?

Most important to me are:

- reliability;
- ease of use; and
- ability to flash back to stock (i.e. my OWN original Competition Package tune, not a generic stock F80 M3 Competition map or - God forbid - a generic map of the 'regular' 431ps M3, losing the uprated horsepower from the Competition Package!).

The price difference between the two is not so much of an issue; if Bootmod3 turns out to be the better option for my purposes, I will gladly pay the extra money.

Any considerations are most welcome!

Many thanks in advance and apologies if this subject has indeed already been extensively addressed in another thread that I have not yet stumbled upon!

Best,

Tom
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2020, 08:16 AM   #2
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

I have been using BM3 for a few years on my M4, I tried different maps and I was happy with all of them.
I sold hundreds of licenses to customers, I do not recall getting any complaints about their maps.

The support from PTF directly and the BM3 community on this forum is second to none.

Lots of dealers including us offer BM3 with a 30-day money-back guarantee

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2020, 08:49 AM   #3
TheMaster1971NL
Second Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 F80

BM3! I live in the Netherlands also, if you have any questions you can sent me a PM.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2020, 09:49 AM   #4
M2C_OZ
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 Competition

I've used MHD on previous platforms including my M2C and its pretty easy to use.
You cant go wrong with either tbh
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2020, 10:52 AM   #5
sappersix
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4 ZCP 6MT

Garage List
I'm in the same boat. All stock hardware on a 2016 ZCP, don't want to deal with bolt-ons.

My conclusion in researching both platforms is that they are both excellent choices and you can't go wrong with either.

I chose MHD because, I could buy only the Stock/Stage 0+ flasher now and more advanced packages later. If I did choose to eke out more later, MHD's map pack includes Stage 1/2/2+/E85 maps in one product.

I'm planning on keeping my F82 long-term, so being able to resell or transfer the BM3 license was not a factor for me.
      11-30-2020, 10:59 AM   #6
m3elmo
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

I'm not as familiar with MHD but my impression of bootmod is that it's very easy to use and flash the DME etc.

The other benefits that bootmod3 has for me outside of the performance tunes include the ability to:
(edit - I see MHD has similar features - seems liek either way you can't go wrong.)

turn off/on rev match by mode
burbles adjustment from on/off custom

These features alone are worth it to me. I personally strongly dislike the autorev features and the burbles and ability to control this alone is worth the $ to me.

other thing is BM3 you can use a laptop and standard enet cable - not sure if MHD can do the same or not? Since you have Thor I assume you already have a good wifi adapter.
      11-30-2020, 11:21 AM   #7
Fuel-It!
Banned
Rep
Drives: M4, M5, M2C, X4M, 440i, etc...

For our flashing needs we've used both, usually only use MHD now. Not being "cloud based" makes it all so much easier. It's cheaper too.

And we always have a JB4 involved for fine tuning, safety, FlexFuel, PI and/or CPI control.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2020, 11:27 AM   #8
fiveohwblow
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15, E46 & M3, F82

I dont think you can go wrong with either, its more the feature sets and ease of use. I would say this, but likely will get skewered for saying so....

Bootmod3 seems to try to continue to be on the front of innovation. They arent always first to market, but often are. You continue to get more bang for your buck with no more spent. It is the fastest to flash, full iphone or android capability, cloud based or offline modes work and the map pack includes a full list once purchased for a small amount.

MHD, while taking longer to flash, is basically half the cost. The power seems to be on par with other tunes, but you will have to purchase a license for each type of map/pack you want. MHD has been known for its back end flash to enable such devices as mentioned above like the JB4.

Overall, I think the BM3 solution is just more polished and will continue to provide innovations. If you keep the car for some time and like the offerings, want to continue to evolve, then BM3. If you are a set it and forget it kind of guy, with maybe a desire to go from stage 1 to stage 2 later and that is about it, MHD might be your option.
Appreciate 1
TopJimmy5394.00
      11-30-2020, 02:04 PM   #9
DutchM3Comp
Registered
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 manual

Many thanks to all for your thoughts so far! Much appreciated.

Just to be sure:

With both BM3 and MHD, when flashing bock to 'stock', will I really be flashing back to my OWN original software which is currently installed on my car, and which should therefore be stored somewhere after the flash? If so, where will my original software be stored? On my phone / computer or in the provider's cloud? As said, I want to make absolutely sure that if I flash back to 'stock', I will not get a generic F80 M3 Competition software back, and certainly not the software of the 'normal' F80 M3 with 431 instead of 450 hp.

Cheers!
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2020, 04:55 PM   #10
TopJimmy
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 Comp xDrive

Yes, in BM3 flashing back to stock is "your stock". You will notice on first flash that it will create a Stock Tune map from reading your car and add it to My Maps. These maps all sync to the cloud so your Stock map doesn't get lost.

I find it very easy using BM3 now that it runs on iPhone/Android. I can flash, tweak and also capture logs without strapping a laptop to my passenger seat. That's my top value...it's always in my pocket, and cable/adapter in the glovebox.
      11-30-2020, 06:51 PM   #11
tomlong
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 Sedan

A lot of variables go into determining the outcomes of your 3 important to me factors.

For example, your tuner's ability to utilize fail-safe's and incorporate that into the Bosch ecu decision making is a big factor in reliability. Outside of that, good general maintenance and up keep of a high performance car such as the F8x is the primary factor linked to reliability.

Ease of use has to be further defined. Do you like data logging and going back and forth if running a custom file? Some do while others just want to get out there and not interested in doing it. You're not likely given any control to change critical parameters like boost target, timing advance, and other critical parameters so it's all really "easy to use" in my opinion ... once it's flashed onto your car go out there and drive it. I think it's the process and communication back-and-forth with your tuner (if custom) along with making adjustments to your tune is where you might ask yourself and define what "ease of use" means to you and your goals with the car.

Lastly, most if not all typically flash back to stock. How much of an imprint each tuning software platform leaves behind will vary.

Hopes this helps
Appreciate 1
TopJimmy5394.00