EXXEL Distributions
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > F80 M3 / M4 Pricing, Ordering, European Delivery

02-07-2016, 02:48 AM   #1
cipri
Q3D
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Garage List
2015 F80 M3  [0.00]
2009 E92 M3 6MT  [0.00]
ED country restriction

hi , are there any countries that have driving restriction in Europe when we drive our ED BMW?
For example if you rent a car in Italy you can't drive it in non EU country, but also you have restriction driving in Hungary or Romania (which are EU countries).

Few years back when you rented a car in Germany or France , there was even restriction for driving to Italy.

So are we allowed to drive to Eastern Europe the car for which we take the ED?
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2016, 07:11 AM   #2
larryn
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '97 332ti, '21 X5 45e, '16 GT4

During ED, your car is insured, and I recall that I was told that I could not go into certain countries due to insurance restrictions, and I believe that I needed to sign an acknowldegement that I would not. Since I had no plans to visit any of those countries, I didn't pay too much attention.

Edit, very quick google search yielded:

http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Conte...liveryFAQ.aspx

Please be advised that your new BMW can only be driven in European Union countries, which include the following:

Austria
Belgium
Bulgaria
Croatia
Cyprus
Czech Republic
Denmark
Estonia
Finland
France
Great Britain
Greece
Hungary
Ireland
Italy
Latvia
Lithuania
Luxembourg
Malta
Monaco
Netherlands
Norway (Non EU but recognizes tourist license plates)
Poland
Portugal
Romania
Slovakia
Slovenia
Spain
Sweden
Switzerland (Non EU but recognizes tourist license plates)

All other countries are restricted because of the temporary tourist plates that are not recognized in non-EU countries. Also consider when planning your travels that you may not drive through any country that is not listed above.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2016, 04:55 PM   #3
01ON19
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

Note that Liechtenstein is not on this list (ED trivia), but you can go to Cyprus or Malta.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2016, 05:52 PM   #4
SD ///M4
///Multiple
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Coupe | M3 | Z4M Roadster

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanuck View Post
Note that Liechtenstein is not on this list (ED trivia), but you can go to Cyprus or Malta.
Back in 2011 my wife and I did Euro Delivery on her 335is Coupe. I wanted to drive through Liechtenstein on our way to Switzerland because I had been there on a previous European driving trip and I wanted to show my wife. I contacted the BMW Euro Delivery office to find out why Liechtenstein was prohibited. All I got were vague answers about tourist (Zoll) plates in Liechtenstein and insurance coverage, so I contacted the Ministry of Tourism in Liechtenstein to find out why there were restrictions. They weren't aware of any and couldn't understand why BMW wouldn't let people with tourist plates drive in Liechtenstein. Then I contacted Allianz, who provides the insurance for Euro Deliveries to find out if there were insurance restrictions. They weren't aware of any either. So I went back to the Euro Delivery office and told them that I had discovered that neither Liechtenstein or Allianz had any restrictions against traveling in Liechtenstein. They said that if that were the case, they didn't have a problem with it. However, it's been on the BMW European Delivery web page ever since then.

Before we left, I printed out all the e-mails from BMW, the Liechtenstein Ministry of Tourism, and Allianz and took them with us.

At the point in our trip when we were headed back west to Switzerland, after first going to Austria, we had every intention of driving through and stopping in Liechtenstein, we followed our Navigation, got caught in a bunch of traffic, and after it was too late, we realized that the navigation routed us around Liechtenstein. We never did make it to Liechtenstein.

Bottom line, there doesn't seem to be any good reason provided by anyone involved as to why Liechtenstein is prohibited. This is a true story and there's a thread I started in the European Delivery forum on Bimmerfest back in early 2011 where I originally documented my research.

Appreciate 0
      02-07-2016, 08:05 PM   #5
cipri
Q3D
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 F80 M3  [0.00]
2009 E92 M3 6MT  [0.00]
thanks a lot for the info

also there is not a good explanation why when one rents a car in Western Europe can't drive it in Eastern Europe , most car agencies when asked they said that is the rule but can't further explain why
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2016, 11:40 PM   #6
afadeev
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cipri View Post
also there is not a good explanation why when one rents a car in Western Europe can't drive it in Eastern Europe , most car agencies when asked they said that is the rule but can't further explain why
That's pretty simple - rental agencies practice commons sense risk management, and don't want their cars driving through high risk areas. For example, not many luxury cars are known to return from trips to Albania...

ED country restrictions are different, and have everything to do with the acceptance and recognition of the EU temp/tourist license plates.
Before the Syrian refugee crisis, this was mostly a theoretical restriction, as there was no-one to inspect your license plates and turn you back at the borders that were barely marked. Now that there is more scrutiny at intra-EU border crossings, these restrictions are more likely to be enforced.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cipri View Post
So are we allowed to drive to Eastern Europe the car for which we take the ED?
Yes, as long as the country is on the temp/tourist plate accepting list.

HTH,
a
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2016, 02:50 PM   #7
01ON19
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD Z4MR View Post
Back in 2011 my wife and I did Euro Delivery on her 335is Coupe. I wanted to drive through Liechtenstein on our way to Switzerland because I had been there on a previous European driving trip and I wanted to show my wife. I contacted the BMW Euro Delivery office to find out why Liechtenstein was prohibited. All I got were vague answers about tourist (Zoll) plates in Liechtenstein and insurance coverage, so I contacted the Ministry of Tourism in Liechtenstein to find out why there were restrictions. They weren't aware of any and couldn't understand why BMW wouldn't let people with tourist plates drive in Liechtenstein. Then I contacted Allianz, who provides the insurance for Euro Deliveries to find out if there were insurance restrictions. They weren't aware of any either. So I went back to the Euro Delivery office and told them that I had discovered that neither Liechtenstein or Allianz had any restrictions against traveling in Liechtenstein. They said that if that were the case, they didn't have a problem with it. However, it's been on the BMW European Delivery web page ever since then.

Before we left, I printed out all the e-mails from BMW, the Liechtenstein Ministry of Tourism, and Allianz and took them with us.

At the point in our trip when we were headed back west to Switzerland, after first going to Austria, we had every intention of driving through and stopping in Liechtenstein, we followed our Navigation, got caught in a bunch of traffic, and after it was too late, we realized that the navigation routed us around Liechtenstein. We never did make it to Liechtenstein.

Bottom line, there doesn't seem to be any good reason provided by anyone involved as to why Liechtenstein is prohibited. This is a true story and there's a thread I started in the European Delivery forum on Bimmerfest back in early 2011 where I originally documented my research.
I drove into Liechtenstein on 2006 ED. There was actually a guy at the border who looked at my plate and waved me in. It does seem like they just forgot about including it.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2020, 08:49 PM   #8
Fugly M3
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3CX

I know it's an old thread but I'm bumping it because I'm curious for my upcoming ED in Late September and Early October. First off, Liechtenstein is allowed, or at least it was in October of 2016 when I did my last ED. They've changed insurers, so who knows now.

My questions are around three other places. First is Andorra...the tiny principality surrounded by Spain and France up in the Pyrenees. Second is Gibraltar. I assume as it's the UK, it's allowed? Most interesting is Ceuta, the Spanish port city in North Africa that is easily accessed by a 1 hour car ferry. I assume that's okay as it's technically Spain? I've got these questions into Raven at BMWNA, but figured I'd see what the input is here. Thx in advance!
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2020, 07:12 AM   #9
Kief
Major General
Rep
Drives: '24 iX50; '23 i4 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by F82PRETEND View Post
I know it's an old thread but I'm bumping it because I'm curious for my upcoming ED in Late September and Early October. First off, Liechtenstein is allowed, or at least it was in October of 2016 when I did my last ED. They've changed insurers, so who knows now.

My questions are around three other places. First is Andorra...the tiny principality surrounded by Spain and France up in the Pyrenees. Second is Gibraltar. I assume as it's the UK, it's allowed? Most interesting is Ceuta, the Spanish port city in North Africa that is easily accessed by a 1 hour car ferry. I assume that's okay as it's technically Spain? I've got these questions into Raven at BMWNA, but figured I'd see what the input is here. Thx in advance!
Can't help you with your question, but you must be one of the last NA EDers. Interesting about Liechtenstein being allowed in 2016, bc in 2014 when I did my last ED, it wasn't. Can't wait to read about your trip!
'24-I20 iX 50; '23-G26 i4 M50; '22-G82 M4Cx*;20-G05 M50i*; '20-F82 M4CS*; '18-F80 M3CS*; '18-F80 M3CS*; '18-F85 X5M*; '18-G01 X3M40i*; '18-F80 M3ZCP*; '17-F80 M3ZCP*; '15-F15 X5*; '15-F82 M4*; '12-E92 335is*; '11-E70 X5d; '11-E89 Z435is*;'09-E89 Z435i*; '08-E92 335i*; '06-E90 330i*; '05-E83 X3*; '04-E83 X3*; '03-E46 325Ci* *retired
Appreciate 0