Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3 / M4 Photos and Videos

09-17-2020, 11:04 PM   #67
jpy1980
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M3 -Smurfy Blue Vinyl

Quote:
Originally Posted by x.shell View Post
Kudos. Good to know that your sound deadening efforts have paid off. I've actually planned a whole sound-deadening-regiment myself in case I decide to install it again.

I think the source of a lot of the whirring and humming that annoyed me was amplified by the direct mating of the shifter and chassis; metal on metal. It kind of created a weird harmonic that would get in my head. Perhaps a thin rubber lining between the shifter and chassis mounting plates along with everything you've done will deaden it enough for me to be happy.
You know the satisfying clunk everytime you shift? Would that piece of rubber take away from that? I find that clunk the most rewarding part of the shifter besides the extremely short throw.

Have you been reinstalling your shifter yourself? Or have a shop do it for you?
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2020, 12:23 AM   #68
EvoFire
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: None

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpy1980 View Post
Haha. I know what you mean. We purchased this car to be a great dual duty vehicle: daily and track/canyon, but the more we mod to track and canyon, it really becomes worse at the daily part.

Oh well, que sera sera...

Im still enjoying my car, but recently I've been eyeing a 4x4. =)
We bought the car exactly for that reason. We ended up buying a X3 as well so now with the pandemic the M3 gets driven to get groceries maybe twice a week.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2020, 10:51 PM   #69
jpy1980
Major
United_States
Rep

Drove around a bit with the newly greased and soundproofed shifter and I can definitely say that the NVH is dramatically improved. You should try it.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2020, 06:39 PM   #70
EvoFire
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: None

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpy1980 View Post
Drove around a bit with the newly greased and soundproofed shifter and I can definitely say that the NVH is dramatically improved. You should try it.
So the main thing would be the greasing? You didn't add any rubber to the mounting right? Just some dynamat around the area.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2020, 07:16 PM   #71
jpy1980
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvoFire View Post
So the main thing would be the greasing? You didn't add any rubber to the mounting right? Just some dynamat around the area.
Yes but and its a big but, I put some dynamat on the shifter on strategic places where it wouldn’t interfere with the shifting. Like small pieces and stuck them on. Looks ghetto fab but man o man is it better. Cool thing is that you can still take it off if you would sell the item. That with the grease and some foam sound deadening material in empty cavities of the shifter and feels somewhat like a normal car now.
Appreciate 1
EvoFire79.00